Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 29 - 11:18:20
Page:  1 
Prologue: The Roman Legion Stands By Colin Started by: Roman on Aug 15, '11 01:24

It felt like he had been asleep for years.  Roman stretched out at the edge of his bed and felt his old bones adjust and settle before he could stand.  Today was the end of everything he had trained himself for over the last couple of years.  "Just one more thing to do, old man," Roman thought to himself.  He was in his late 40s now, but when he had started this journey he was just a kid.

Roman made his way to the bathroom in his Philadelphia hotel room.  He washed up quickly and stared at himself in the mirror for several minutes.  The steely determination in his eyes that he had held on to for so long softened for this day.  It was a day he never thought would arrive, but now that it had he felt at rest.  The Godfather of Chicago took  a breath and began to shave away his 5 o'clock shadow with a straight razor.  He felt his skin after he had finished and wiped his cheeks off with a towel.  After one last look in the mirror, he began to get dressed.

Close to an hour had passed before Roman emerged from his hotel room in a black suit.  He was quickly surrounded by his bodyguards and led out into the lobby.  Roman had become accustomed to the eyes that followed him as he walked.  Some of the onlookers did not know who he was and were curious of the commotion being caused.  The people who knew who and what he was either averted their eyes or moved their children behind them protectively.  As they made their way to the front door, Roman could see his Bentley pull up.  One of his bodyguards held the car door open and Roman slid into his seat.  The car pulled away from the hotel entrance and as Roman rode through the city landscape towards his destination he began to reflect on his life.

Roman couldn't help but remember his own adolescence growing up on the streets of Los Angeles.  He didn't know his father, but heard that the man was part of a criminal underground.  Roman had spent days dreaming about what his father must have been like.  As Roman became a teenager he followed in the footsteps of his father, or at least what he imagined they were.  He bounced around city to city in several crime syndicates, applying his trade for murder, but never quite finding the right fit.  He worked in Los Angeles under Godfather Premier, Las Vegas under Godmother Aurora, Detroit under Godmother Marietta, and finally landing in New York under Godfather Deimne.  It was in the Big Apple that Roman really began to hone his craft and bagged his first Don in a war.  "What was his name..." Roman thought for a moment, "Oh yes, SuperDuke."

"5 minutes, sir."  The voice had pierced through his thoughts, it was that of the driver.  Roman nodded to him and settled back into his thoughts.

The night had come in New York where everything changed, Deimne and the city were wiped out... But not Roman.  He had rushed out of his apartment that night ready for a fight, but was hit from behind and dragged into a car.  He awoke several hours later in Philadelphia sure he was to be executed, but his captors told him that his life had been spared by Colin, a Don in the city.  He recognized the name, Colin and Roman were acquaintances who had met several times during business deals between New York and Philadelphia.  However, Roman did not know the man well enough to warrant being kept alive.  It was a mystery that had eluded Roman for a long time, but not forever.

The car slowed to a stop on the outskirts of Philadelphia.  Roman exited the vehicle and looked at the cemetary, for the first time that day he had a knot in his stomach.  There was a slight tremor in his hand as he touched his breast pocket and he was forced to clear his throat to keep from choking up.

Roman began walking through the graveyard and all of a sudden the memories began to overwhelm him.  He could see the day where Colin got a crew and named Roman his Right Hand Man.  He remembered even though there was an age difference between the two men they got along famously.  People teased them for being almost identical in height and the symmetry of their names.  Both 5 letters, both having an "o" and ending in "n", it was a golden age.  Everything changed quickly, Philadelphia was destroyed by New York led by The Dean and Los Angeles under the leadership of Don Pardo.  Roman managed to see Colin through the war with the help of Evangeline.  Everything settled down again and Colin got Godfather a week and a half later.  Not more than 12 hours after this accomplishment, he was gunned down with Evangeline by Odin and Diablos.  The death sent Roman into a tailspin, and it only worsened after a piece of news that came a few months later.

Roman stopped walking abruptly as he reached the tombstone he had come for.  He was so wrapped up in his thoughts he didn't notice that a light rain had started.  Everything he had done, every war he had fought, it was for this one moment.  Roman felt a tear drop and then another, but he was able to catch himself before he was wracked with a sob.  Now was not the time for tears, it was a time for a promise kept.

The grave he now stood before was that belonging to Colin.  There was no one around for miles, and only the crows could bear witness to their final act as Crewleader and Right Hand Man.  Roman tucked his fingers into his breast pocket and removed a piece of paper.  The corners were frayed and it had been folded so many times that the creases had no more resistance to give.  He carefully straightened out the paper and slid a pencil out from his right pant pocket.  He raised the pencil but stopped, he wanted to do this properly, and honor the man who gave him everything.

Roman looked at the tombstone and began, "Colin, things have changed a lot since we ran together.  I have prospered, and my people in Chicago are happy.  I never forgot the lessons in leadership you taught me, and I apply them every day without fail.  I hope my successes would make you smile, and the crews that help me run my city would make you proud.  I also never forgot the people that did this to you, Colin.  I promised you as you took your final breaths that I would avenge you.  It has taken a long time, but I have outlasted or killed every leader that was involved in bringing your death.  There were times that I stumbled and questioned this mission, but once I learned about the secret you kept from me, I stood tall and took them to task.  There was a bible verse that has haunted me while I have made this journey... Romans 12:19, 'Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.'''

With that Roman looked back down at the paper filled with a list of names and crossed out the final one:

Don Pardo
Jezebel
Odin
Paul Vidi
Diablos
Eusebio
The Dean
Davy Jones
Joey Cesari
Whatsername
RoRoG

Roman dropped the list on top of the grave and looked at it one last time.  "Tell God that I got impatient.  I love you, Dad."

Report Post Tip

Quite possibly the most chilling tale I've heard since entering this world. Thank you for sharing your story with us as well as the secret you've been carrying with you. I of course was not around when Colin ruled the city of Philadelphia, but my ancestors worked with him and their diaries were filled with stories about him that made me laugh. I won't stay long, as this moment is yours. Instead I'll simply raise my glass and allow you to reflect and celebrate this milestone in your life

Colin can finally Rest in Peace thanks to you

Report Post Tip

Very well written and very heart wretching, thank you for the tale of woe and of promises kept Godfather Roman.

Report Post Tip

Alabama wipes a tear from her eye

What a wonderful yet sad tale. Thank you Roman for sharing with us.

Report Post Tip

Method by-passing the graveyard looks up at the low rows of headstones and see's his godfather paying his respects and from a distance Method stops dead shivers creeping down his spine

Its truly hit me about how this life of ours eventually end and how relationships mean all but everything in this life of ours.This insight to another chapter in the wonderful life of Roman is inspiring to me personally.One day your time will come Roman you'll never be forgotten and your headstone will be visited by many, the streets will be flooded with tears.My only promise to you is while your name on your headstone will be never forgotten i'll lie dead close by unknown too many but i live for you and the city of chicago.

Method leaves to carry-on his errands

Report Post Tip

it was a wonderful story,

thanks for sharing it with us all.

Report Post Tip

Barney is standing in the crowd listening to his Godfather speak.

"This was a great story Roman and I hope I can have a most eventful and successful life you have had."

Report Post Tip

It is great to remind the times we have been through, it was a long jorney of hard work, dedication to achieve success.

When I arrived in the city of Chicago, I did not know what future would hold for me, we didn't know each other well and we had so many different views and opinions. We both put our differences aside, started to get to know and trust each other. I have no doubt that we have changed our ways not only now but also for future generations.

I know how much this path means to you, I'm trully happy and honored to have lived this with you and I'm also glad that we can conclude a part of our illustrious history.

Report Post Tip

What a brilliantly sad and intriguing tale, Thankyou for sharing that with us Roman.

Rushes off before he wells up

Report Post Tip

MidpoinT thinks about the stories that had been passed down through his family and how his great great great great great grandfather had been around in the days of Colin and part of his family.

I know it was not me in person who was there during those times of war, but I must say I kind of feel honored knowing that one of my ancestors was part of it. It was great hearing your story Godfather Roman there were parts in there I have never known. Maybe one day I can become a big part of history.

MidpoinT quietly lights a smoke and wonders off into an alleyway.

Report Post Tip

Simplicity had heard a story similar to Roman's from her mother who heard it from her mother. Simplicity, herself had not felt the pain, but her great grandmother knew the pain all too well. She ended up dying along side Colin when he was wiped out. Till this day the family was keeping the story to pass it down to the children. They would never allow anyone to forget.

Brushing her fingers through her hair she looked towards the others around her. She did not know what the future held for her, but she knew that one day she would have to pass her story down to the next in line also.

"I know my great grandmother's pain was nothing close to what you felt, Roman. Yet, her pain and anger has led my bloodline here today to work as hard as I do and to follow you as well as I possibly can. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It was a sad one indeed and a sad day for us all."

Lowering her head slightly she turned and made her way back home to her HQ. She seemed to be sleeping there these days making sure all the work was done.

Report Post Tip

A fine bit of insight into what has driven a man like Roman to succeed all these years. I must say it had a familiar feel to it. At first I couldn't put my finger on it but after some thought I figured it out. Roman's story closely mirrors my own in many ways.

My father was in Philadelphia with Roman and Colin under Godfather Gwarble. In the confusion during war that took Godfather Gwarble's life he found himself in Chicago under Roman. He served under Roman through the wars and the hard times of gently navigating through the muddy waters of mafia diplomacy that followed. Eventually my father found himself as the Godfather of his own city. A position that he was not to enjoy for long. Killed for a reason no better than the strongest city at the time refused to allow such an upcoming power to remain in existence and give Chicago a powerful ally.

There were others who shared in the responsibility for my father's death. People who were far more visible, acting far more underhanded, in his undoing. Roman did not sit idly by and allow his friend and auth to be slaughtered for such devious and selfish reasons. Roman put himself and his city on the line to avenge my father and his fallen city. From that moment I knew the path I had to take. I had to join Chicago. I had to work for Roman. I owed it to him. I owed it to my father.

So I have worked for Roman since the news of my father's death reached me. As details of my father's death reached me I began to create my own list. As it turns out my list matched Roman's almost name for name. I will say it's been a great pleasure and a true honor to be a part of the team that managed to allow both Roman and I to cross off every name on our lists. I've gotten to work with some of the greatest people I've ever known and made friends that I will treasure always.

It brings a certain pride to me to see Roman stand in the twilight of his career. It's not an accomplishment that belongs only to Roman, but also those who have stood with him throughout the years. No man can do it alone. Now as the time of his retirement draws near it has made me think about my position in this world. When Roman retires my duty will be over. I pledged to come to Chicago to repay Roman with my loyalty for the loyalty he showed my father. When Roman's time is done there may no longer be a use for me. And I'm ok with that.

Report Post Tip

Having been walking by, Ghendo noticed a crowd growing and approached it out of curiosity. Upon closer observation, he noticed Roman, and stood around for awhile to learn more about the Godfather that he served. Ghendo hadn't ever thought of the man that Roman had been before his days Godfather. It's rather hard to think of someone so powerful, so renowned.. to be vulnerable, I guess you could say.

"Brilliant insight on one of the most hardworking and honorable individuals I know. Roman, sir, I know my time spent working under you pales when in comparison to most, but I can honestly say I am blessed to have been able to help strengthen your city."

Ghendo nodded in the direction of his Godfather, and continued about his business. 

Report Post Tip

Great story sir. One more time you showed that you are great man and leader. You never turn back to your friends and i am sure everyone would like to have friend and leader like you.

Report Post Tip

It's not often that someone fulfils all their goals within this world, especially when one's goals are set as high as yours seemingly were. This is a testament to the will and driving force behind Chicago, from Roman all the way down to the youngest gangster. Your tale has more than proved that with the effort and skills needed one can achieve greatness in their life.

My father only spent a small amount of time within Chicago but a lot of people made him feel more than welcome. He himself was intent on surviving that war, and thought he had managed it once Roman had stepped in to end it. It was a shame that my father didn't get to work alongside and with Chicago as he knew that they are a powerful city, and had many friends residing within the city. What is done is done though, my father died and now it is time for me to cut my own path in this world.

Gladiator lights up a cigar and nods at Roman before wandering away.

Report Post Tip

The Goals i have and my ancestors seen you achieve Godfather Roman is amazing, I'm happy that you have fulfill your goals and i can god honestly say i don't know what else you can do. You are an asset to Chicago and i don't think that anyone could actually replace you.

Report Post Tip

That is a moving story Godfather Roman. One which not only offers a true insight into the events surrounding one of the most traumatic era`s our world has seen, but also confirms that honour is still very much a part of the actions of a truly great leader and mentor.

It is with great sadness I read your account of the period, as I am reminded of the contents of one of my own ancestor’s journals from the same time. The unpredictable twists and turns which this world offers go hand in hand with the constant resurfacing of bloodlines both new and old. It is this unpredictable road that we all travel which not only feeds us, it grieves us, and ultimately steals us.

Report Post Tip

Titus listened to the old man speak, as he told his tale a tear fell down Titus's cheek. Never before had he seen such dedication and loyalty to a cause, such perseverance. Titus admired the old man, the same as his father, and grandfather before him.

He opened a journal of his grandfather's, Marcus was his name. Roman had taken the man off the streets, a paltry beggar and turned him into a Godfather in his own right. Titus chuckled, Roman had done a lot for, a lot of people, but the motivation behind it all was now clear.

Walking up to the old Godfather, Titus pressed a cigarette to his lips and smiled.

You have truly achieved greatness here Roman, never before in my entire family line have I heard of such determination to bring justice to those that felled your leader. I think the current leadership would give there right hand for such loyalty.

Pulling a cigar from his coat pocket he passed it to the old man.

It's not Cuban, it's from the old country. Something my family had been saving for quite some time. You should have it.

Dad eh? Titus began to laugh hysterically, for it was true the composition of the two men were similar. Both giants to normal men, standing well over six and a hair style to match.

Grinning Titus walked back to his everyday life, taking a lesson from this.

Every man has a purpose, and every man has a secret eh?

Report Post Tip

After listening to the tale of such a successful man a lump had appeared in the throat of Thomas, the young mafioso.

I like many others respect the honour you have shown in sharing this secret with us which is of such importance to you, thankyou for sharing it with us.

The story had left Thomas feeling a bit emotional, not wanting to embarass himself he reached into his pocket pulling out a hankercheif and headed towards the nearest bar while dabbing his eyes with the rag.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Prologue: The Roman Legion Stands By Colin
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL