Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 10:38:37
Page:  1 
Originality, Money, Death, Questions Started by: GordonGekko on Sep 19, '23 20:22

His face etched with the stresses and tribulations of being a leading member of a prominent crew in an important city in the criminal subculture, GordonGekko takes some time to address the crowd...

We are in a time of peace.  Peace follows war, as night follows day.  Yes, we have seen gunfire and killing.  People lay dead.  Others retired from this life of ours.  

I come here today with two questions.  Before I pose them, let me first offer some thoughts on society as we have seen it.  Some say it's the quietest it's been in memory.  I say, I have heard that for as long as I can remember.  Others question the dedication and commitment of leaders.  I say that, too, has been a doubt I've heard discussed in coffee shops and avenues since time immemorial.

Some of us have branched out from the blatantly criminal into more legitimate businesses.  One of us, currently in Chicago, is having stunning success.  Myself, I have seen only legit business failings.  My Private Detective Agency was a pathetic failure.  In Queens, a good friend and colleague of mine has opened a retirement community.  I salute its owner and believe it will become ever more popular.

Someone tried to have a popularity contest based on a given name.  It didn't do so well.

But who cares?  All of us put something out there.  Let a million flowers bloom, I say.  Some will be picked up, and some won't.  That's just the way life is.

Skittles and _Angel are true originals, bringings an unusual spin to the usual monotony of criminal life.  We of course miss the interminable speeches from certain bloodlines who have appeared to retire, but whose businesses remain lasting monuments to their dedication.  Please do visit the Chicago Stadium if you get the chance.

Back to my two questions.

If YOU had ten million dollars, what would you do to bring about some positive change in our community, our culture?

And what single thing that has been a thing, would you like to see being a thing again?

Thank you. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Someone tried to have a popularity contest based on a given name.  It didn't do so well.

This contest is still ongoing and I have it on good authority that the vote will be opened soon. Before we know whether or not I'm the winner we can't really conclude if the contest "did well" or not.

I have spent the past week fervently campaigning to reel in pledges to vote for me. In some cases to persuade someone I've had to debase myself in ways that would make even Skittles- blush, but that is a small price to pay for eternal glory (and the sizeable CASH MONEY PRIZE).

But who cares?  All of us put something out there.  Let a million flowers bloom, I say.  Some will be picked up, and some won't.  That's just the way life is.

Sticking to this flower metaphor, I think we've seen an abnormally large amount of "unpicked flowers" as of late. A lot of planters, very few pickers.

I also feel like a lot of flowers seem like they don't want to be picked or watered by another soul, they appear content to just sit there and not be interacted with. It's difficult to interact with these kind of flowers. The few flowers that are eager to be picked/watered are often passed by. It's a strange time.

If YOU had ten million dollars, what would you do to bring about some positive change in our community, our culture?

I don't know, I am bad with money.

And what single thing that has been a thing, would you like to see being a thing again?

I love me a good earnings competition.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

The_Bestest_Ian - how would we accurately judge a nationwide earnings competition?

I could perhaps accept tips from entrants, awarding the winner a substantial prize, based on the tips?

Report Post Tip

Corrado listened to the man speak to the small gathering in the streets. He'd expected more responses in the time that he was considering the question, but was nevertheless resolved to try to provide an answer.

Corrado cleared his throat and smiled.

"A wise man once said that peace is the highest good. I don't believe that many in our line of work would agree with him. I think that a great deal of how one perceives the relative value of peace flows from whether one ultimately pursues a life of quality instead of quantity. But I digress- that subject was not your question."

"If I had ten million dollars, I'd most likely divide its use between myself, my boss, and my community. I owe something to each of those three ends, after all. To prompt a positive change, I would use the money to fund activity in the business districts. Reward those with engaging businesses- and encourage others to frequent them."

Corrado shrugged.

"And I suppose that's my answer to your next question, as well. I want people to measure the success of their lives both from the accumulation of countable things and the quality of living their life. To suggest a full rejection of the quantifiable in our line of work would be idiotic. For some people, that's all they need to be happy; I wish them well. But many people benefit from living their lives in the streets and business districts, rather than private rooms. And many bloodlines used to- and perhaps have forgotten how. What would I like to see be a thing again? That the bloodlines who were once nourished by the streets and business districts return and feel invigorated- and that those who have never done so dip that first toe into the water."

"Thank you for the questions, sir."

Corrado bowed his head respectfully.

Report Post Tip

With my 10 million, I would look to combat rising inflation by investing it with Lordian, thus assuring my money would never be seen again. 

I would like to bring back The Mafia Newspaper written by Melvin, I think it is important to have the media around to keep people honest. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

I would pay $100m to see The Mafia Newspaper Return.

Or pay Melvin's son 1 x Chicago Stadium to bring it back.

Ah, Lordian.  What a scumbag

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $89,521 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Originality, Money, Death, Questions
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL