Get Timers Now!
X

May 04 - 22:11:58
Page:  1 
Remembrance Day Started by: Sprozz on Nov 10, '11 19:25

Remembrance Day, a.k.a Veterans Day, a.ka Armistice Day, a.ka. Poppy Day.

Officially observed in the UK and in the Commonwealth "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month", commemorating when the hostilities of WW1 ended. The event is normally symbolised in the UK and in some commonwealth countries by wearing a poppy on your lapel, an acknowledgement of the fact that in the blood soaked killing fields and trenches of Flanders, the poppy was the first flower to regrow.

Although originally intended as rememberance for those who lost their lives in WW1, it is now relevant to all those who've lost their lives in armed conflict then and since. As well as the commonwealth countries and the majority of Europe, the USA too commemorates their fallen heroes on the 11th of November.

When I think of the brave men and women who have given their lives in the name of my country, it truly brings a tear to my eye; and it makes me just as emotional to see other people who feel exactly the same pride and honour that I do.

Like me, you may not agree with your country's foreign policy, you may not agree with your country's defence budget or believe in the conflicts that they are involed in; but believe in the troops, be proud of those who are prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty. Tomorrow, observe a two minute silence, get yourself a poppy, stick your spare change in a charity tin. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow, I'll be taking part in the local Remembrance Parade and then I'll nip down the pub and buy a pint for all the old vets - it's the least I can do.

The phrase 'never forget' is often used,  but it has it's origins in the dying embers of WWII. When the full atrocities came to light, 'Never Forget' was much repeated and enscribed on countless plaques, memorials and cenotaphs everywhere. 'Never Forget' was initially a rallying call, an urge to not forget these atrocities because if we did, they'd happen again. The truly tragic thing is, we never forget - but these things continue to happen. However, it is important now more than ever to Never Forget - not just the tragedy, pain, and suffering - but the courageous and unwaverable souls who endured them.

Report Post Tip

It is very honourable fo you to take the time to do this Sprozza, also good to hear what you will be doing tomorrow. Well played.

"Like me, you may not agree with your country's foreign policy, you may not agree with your country's defence budget or believe in the conflicts that they are involed in; but believe in the troops, be proud of those who are prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty."

I couldnt have said that any better myself

Tomorrow I'll be in my uniform, displaying poppy with my crutches in hand and limping my way to the parade on my camp.

We will never forget those brave souls lost in the line of duty, may we remember them forever.

Report Post Tip

Thank you for taking the time to post this, and thank you to those who have served and are currently serving.  Their sacrifices are noted, appreciated, and all I can sayis Thank You!  2 Small words that mean so much more. 

Report Post Tip

I may not be from the United Kingdom but I do come from multiple generations that have served in the US Army. Not too sure if I had any relatives serve during WWI but I know my great grandfather fought and died during Operation Market Garden as an Engineer with the 101st. My uncle also served with 101st during OIF 1, the invasion if you will... My father served post Vietnam with Special Forces. My cousins currently serve, I am currently serving with the 82nd Airborne.

Its nice to see posts like these. Thanks Sprozz.

Report Post Tip

Excellent post, Sprozza.

I will be in work and will think of all those that gave their lives to allow me the freedom I have today.

Lest we forget.

Report Post Tip

Thank you to everyone who has served, is serving or has a spouse/father/mother who serves - you put up with the hardships and stressors just as much as the active duty folks do.

Let's enjoy the 3 day weekend but remember the vets! I'll be in San Antonio if anyone wants to FedEx me a beer. <3

Report Post Tip

Allow me to quote John Glenn.  John Glenn was a Marine aviator (dirty winger, but we'll forgive that).  He was the first man to orbit the Earth, and the oldest man sent up in space?  How?  Because he's a PT god!  While running for Senate, he was asked by his opponent how he could represent the people of Ohio when he never held a real job.  This is what Colonel John Glenn said . . .

"I served 23 years in the United States Marine Corps. I served through two wars. I flew 149 missions. My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on 12 different occasions. I was in the space program.  It wasn't my checkbook; it was my Life on the line. It was not a 9 to 5 job where I took time off to take the daily cash receipts to the bank.

I ask you to go with me . . . as I went the other day . . . to a Veterans Hospital and look at those men with their mangled bodies in the eye and tell them they didn't hold a job. You go with me to the space program and go as I have gone to the widows and orphans of Ed White and Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee and you look those kids in the eye and tell them that their dad didn't hold a job. You go with me on Memorial Day coming up, and you stand in Arlington National Cemetery, where I have more friends than I'd like to remember and you watch those waving flags, and you stand there, and you think about this nation, and you tell me that those people didn't have a job.

I'll tell you, Howard Metzenbaum, you should be on your knees every day of your life thanking God that there were some men - SOME MEN - who held a job. And they required a dedication to purpose and a love of country and a dedication to duty that was more important than life itself. And their self-sacrifice is what made this country possible. I HAVE HELD A JOB, HOWARD! What about you?"

Report Post Tip

No Rememberance Day would be complete for me without hearing In Flanders Fields so I will share it here.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

In Canada we have a highway that has been renamed Highway of Heros. This is the highway the soldiers are brought down when they are repatriated. A band here has written a very nice song which is also gaining popularity here during Rememberance Day. If you care to listen you can hear it here.

Report Post Tip

In honor of all who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

R.I.P 

Pete Glaser  WW2

Bob Glaser WW2

Lorne Glaser  WW2

Report Post Tip

I would like too second in honoring the fallen.

R.I.P

Lieutenant Simon "Ghost" Riley MW2

R.I.P

Captain John "Soap" MacTavish MW3

Report Post Tip

Gaggia,

Your a fucking idiot.

Lest we forget.

Report Post Tip

?"Please wear a poppy", the lady said,
And held one forth, but I shook my head
Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there,
And her face was old and lined with care;

"But beneath the scars the years had made
There remained a smile that refused to fade.
A boy came whistling down the street,
Bouncing along on carefree feet.

"His smile was full of joy and fun,
"Lady" said he "may I have one?"
When she pinned it on, he turned to say:
"Why do we wear a poppy to-day?"

"The lady smiled in her wistful way
And answered: "This is Remembrance Day,
"And the poppy there is a symbol for
The gallant men who died in the war. "

"And because they did, you and I are free
That's why we wear a poppy you see.
I had a boy about your size,
With golden hair and big blue eyes.

"He loved to play and jump and shout
Free as a bird, he would race about.
As the years went by, he learned and grew
And became a man - as you will too. "

"He was fine and strong, with a boyish smile,
But he'd seemed with us such a little while
When war broke out and he went away.
I still remember his face that day.

"When he smiled at me and said good-bye.
'I'll be back soon, Mum, so please don't cry.' But the war went on and he had to stay
And all l could do was wait and pray.

"His letters told us of the awful fight
(I can see at in my dreams at night),
With the tanks and guns and cruel barbed wire,
And the mines and the bullets, the bombs and the fire."

"That sure did sound like an awful fight,
But your son - did he come back alright?"
A tear rolled down each faded cheek;
She shook her head but didn't speak.

"I slunk away in a sort of shame,
And if you were with me, you'd have done the same;
For our thanks, in giving is aft delayed,
Though our freedom was bought - and thousands paid!

"And so, when we see a poppy worn,
Let us reflect on the burden borne
By those who gave very all
When asked to answer their country's call
That we at home in peace might live.
Then wear a poppy! - and give!

LEST WE FORGET

Report Post Tip

Well, it's that time of the year when this thread needs a little bumpedy-bump bump!

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Remembrance Day
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL