Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 29 - 00:12:33
Page:  1 
What makes one event/competition work and others don't? Started by: Fluffy_Tummy on Dec 25, '23 20:29

Fluff had been musing over this conundrum for a while now, he and his forefelines before him had seen many attempts at people running special events of their own making. Not only the people in the federal government but often times local leaders like himself, or even men or women of more modest reputation, had put out flyers. Flyers would be hung either locally in a single district, city but some were hung all over the country trying to engage people of merit and adventure to participate in these competitions.

Often the most successful ones were the ones where physical abilities were part of the skills needed to win, looking currently at Godfather Sniffler's boxing competition as a prime example of that. But in the past other similar events like basketball matches, snowball fights and horse races were very popular as he read in the journals of his ancestors. But other events simply got cancelled due to lack of interest, lack of organization too perhaps? Or in the rare occasion, the person who put out the flyers met an untimely death due to unforeseen consequences, as this world of ours is prone to.

So i stand before you asking your views, or your opinions on what you believe are the key ingredients to a successful event

Is it the reputation of the host

is there perhaps too many of them and appetite is decreased by volume

is it the (lack) of adequate prizes for winning and putting effort in

is it the type of contest or the complexity of the competition?

All those factors I would assume are influencing one's interest in a competition.

And to close it all off, what sort of competition do you ideally like to see, is this run by 1 person or perhaps by a collective of people who ensure proper and fair refereeing of events?

Fluff pounces off the soapbox and patiently awaits others to share their views on the topic.

Report Post Tips: 12 / Total: $240,000 Tip

Personally i think there is a few factors,
A lot of people are just not interested,
Or worried about what it might involve,
and some don't even read the mail. 

i feel like i made the best event i've done ever. yet getting people to actually try it is harder then making the event itself.. 

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $60,000 Tip

From her seat at a nearby coffee shop, Amira considers the topic thoughtfully for a few minutes before throwing in her two cents.

I believe most of the factors you put forth play a role, Fluff- but some things do have a more significant impact than others. For instance, The nature of the competition is going to play a bigger role in it's ultimate success or failure in participation. Competitions of "skill" or "hunting" types are going to outdo creative competitions every time; and that's just the reality of the landscape these days.

That being said, the reputation of the competition host absolutely does play a part- perhaps now more than in the past. I would attribute this to a recent uptick in what we'll call "ill-conceived" creative competitions that were not at all meant to encourage creativity or competition- and we all know that. Thus, in one fell swoop, creative competitions became far less popular thanks to one long-standing group of bad actors. Lovely.

Finishing her drink, she pushes the cup aside and sits up, leaning on the table. 

To tell the truth, I don't know the answer. Perhaps lay off the competitions all together until the general public begins to ask for them? Or, is it that we just need something that's absolutely fresh and hasn't been done? Like you, Sir, I'm interested to hear what others have to suggest. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Why are the people we repeatedly kill for no reason - beyond our own deserved fear of the reaper - refusing to engage with the mediocre games we organise?

I wonder.

Knob.

Report Post Tip

If you are so bitter, that anything that you say or do come out negative, why stick around. Sounds like you are more than ready to return to the old country and stay there, enjoy the geriatric period of your life there!

Report Post Tip
Maybe becuase it was Christmas day, and you're out in the streets instead of enjoying your time with your family.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I thought you wanted views and/or opinions? Or is it just the sycophantic forelock tugging of those who fear you that you seek, fuzzy butt?

Report Post Tip
I'm not committing my considerable weight to either side here but the extremely successful ones have leaned less towards teacher hosting a day out for the snot-bubblers (ie snowball fights) and more towards senseless bloodbaths (ie competitive writing), so make of that what you will
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What makes one event/competition work and others don't?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL