Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 17:54:27
Page:  1 
Speech Stats Started by: Riccardo on Nov 23, '11 02:14

I pause, casting around for an original entrance. Spotting nothing but an obvious cliché, I instead shrug and pull up a soapbox.

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I come to you today not as an artist, a great storyteller, or someone who can write great speaches on current matters enough to rouse great debates.

I look around the crowd, acknowledging each group in turn with small, respectful nods

Each of these groups has contributed much to the vibrant free theatre that is the day-to-day life of the streets. What I offer you today is something that will capture the hearts of fewer, but will hopefully intrigue the minds of a few.

What I bring to you today are statistics, a lists and groupings, rates of success of various types of speeches. I hope at least one out there finds it as interesting as I.

Volume of talk-

Discussions- 50%
Stories- 28%
Announcements- 8%
Newspapers- 6%
Competitions- 6%
Advertisements- 3%

Average number of lines in original speech-

Discussions- 24.0
Stories- 19.1
Announcements- 40.3
Newspapers- 43.4
Competitions- 17.6
Advertisements- 7.2

Average quantity of replies-

Discussions- 16.7
Stories- 23.9
Announcements- 38.2
Newspapers- 47.6
Competitions- 50.3
Advertisements- 0

Average quantity of replies over two lines-

Discussions- 12.5
Stories- 14.2
Announcements- 26.2
Newspapers- 24.2
Competitions- 29.4
Advertisements- 0

Percentage of people bored to hell by this? Probably 99.9%

I hope the 0.1% enjoyed.

Report Post Tip

hmmm

Report Post Tip

No honourary mention for princely wordsmith Sprozz? I'm saddened by this.

Report Post Tip

Sprozz's lastest epic-

27 lines,
19 replies, 14 of which are over 2 lines.

That is a 73.7% rate of long to short responses, 1.2% lower than the average for that genre.

And it took 3 lines more, making it 9.6% less efficient than the average discussion.

Honorary mention complete!

Report Post Tip

no honorary mention for those who risk their lives in the streets for the sake of role playing entertainment, who's first/beginning post isn't supposed to be extremely long?

Report Post Tip

Sonny,

This wasn't a post to put people down. I tried to take this over as big a group as possible so that it would give an outline of what is going on, in which kind of post, what kind of responses they elicit.. All I've done is take averages, count things up, and lay it out. What people read from it is entirely from their perspective. The response to Sprozz's comment was just a joke.

This was meant to just be an interesting titbit for anyone interested in the numbers behind it all, not a comment on how people should do things, which kind of post is "better", or condemning people for writing shorter stories.

Report Post Tip

Interesting stats. As much as I enjoy participating in the odd competition or two, its slightly depressing to see them and annoucements getting a much higher volume of replies than that of a rousing street discussion

Then again it doesn't suprise me. It's a lot easier to put "Well Done, Congrats" or "Great Idea. I'm In, Put 'Insert Generic Name Here' Down" rather than engage in a debate which tests the old grey matter

This 0.1% enjoyed

Report Post Tip

Thanks for the information, Riccardo. Very interesting to see it all laid out.

"As much as I enjoy participating in the odd competition or two, its slightly depressing to see them and annoucements getting a much higher volume of replies than that of a rousing street discussion"

I wouldn't get too depressed, Jax. At least with regards to the announcements, a portion of those become rousing street discussions if people raise a question or an opinion longer than a couple words of agreement.

Great work, Riccardo!

Report Post Tip

I have to agree. My comment was just a spoof of Sprozz's, I actually like this and occasionally view it to look at the statistics.

Report Post Tip

Thanks for the feedback guys! Should anyone have any requests for statistics, or other posts like this one, feel free to shout them out here.

Report Post Tip

It'd be quite interesting to take this one step further with a City by City count - to see how each city fares on their street presence

Just an idea

Report Post Tip

Hmmm, interesting idea.. Could do it city by city, then break that down to per capita, then by per high ranked capita (made man or higher). Very many possibilities there, thanks for that suggestion. I'll get to work on it soon enough!

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Speech Stats
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL