Get Timers Now!
X

May 03 - 05:39:08
Page:  1 
Debate vs. Nasty Arguments Started by: ChilleDeCastro on Apr 19, '24 19:20

Since when did everything need to be a nasty argument? Whatever happened to the spirit of debate? At one time these streets were rife with conversation and often times people didn’t always agree. These discussions were the foundation of change. But now, it seems like as soon as someone opens their mouth, everyone is so ready to pounce. Nothing productive comes from it. 

This has led to associate-level mobsters being too afraid to even make a peep out of fear of ridicule, shunning, or worse. And this has led us to where we are today where even a simple takedown speech is riddled with insults. I just miss the debates of old and wish we could head back more in that direction.

And if you are an associate-level mobster, speak up if you spot something that doesn’t feel on the up-and-up. If a Made member is impeding on your rights or your personal freedoms, it needs to be called out immediately and publicly so that your words or tone cannot be taken out of context and used against you. If a Made Man from another crew or even your own leader approaches you and asks you about something, politely and respectfully let them know “I do not answer questions, all due respect sir/madam”. It’s as easy as that. This will help ensure your own rights are not being violated and will also help the streets in terms of the spirit of debate.

Report Post Tips: 10 / Total: $577,402 Tip

Willie listens to the odd man speaking and is taken back by some of his assertions...

"You had me nodding my head in agreement right up to the time you started speaking about rights in La Cosa Nostra. I'm not sure if you fully understand how this thing of ours operates, but we do not have a Bill of Rights granting unalienable freedoms and liberties for low level associates. If you're made, you're untouchable. The low-level associate does not have any rights that can be trampled on. Not rights granted under this thing of ours, anyhow. If they get arrested, they will certainly have the right to due process under the law, but we will likely rub them out before they ever get the chance to testify. That's one of the benefits of keeping low level crooks around - to take the fall for the real family members."

"Anyhow, I wish you didn't make me go off on that tangent, because it should have been a fairly obvious point. As far as the nastiness, that's just the way of the world these days, isn't it? It would take an in-depth study and probably a 100-page analysis to fully understand how we got to this point, but it's not limited to just our circles. Since I do not plan on partaking in that study or writing 100 pages, I'll summarize it as a change in culture. People are not tough anymore. People are so overly sensitive that merely disagreeing with them is seen as a mortal wound. Then, pride comes into play. It's more important for actors involved in a debate or discussion to 'win' than to achieve a correct answer. Winning involves getting in the best dig, not making the best point or using the best logic to come to a correct assessment."

"As far as anyone being afraid to speak their minds...I suspect you were looking for sympathy for them, but they are just as much a part of the problem. I mentioned above that people just were not tough anymore and how that led to the nastiness. The other side of the coin is that being weak and cowardly can make one afraid to stand up for him/herself.  The only solution there is within themselves. They need to grow some confidence, and hell, grow A PAIR. What's that saying about a coward dying a thousand deaths? There are worse things than being attacked for your beliefs, like being afraid to voice them at all".

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Mr. Willie_G_Skull, I am not seeking sympathy for those who have been treated harshly or unjustly, just hoping to show them the way to being able to come out publicly and be an active member of our streets. I think that there is a misconception as to what people can and cannot say in our streets. I just want to dispel some of that and hopefully help those that want to participate but feel that they can’t.

As for associate rights, I appreciate your stance, but if you’re looking to debate that with me I’m afraid you’re barking up the wrong tree. Along with working alongside the Detroit mafia, I study constitutional law pretty extensively in my spare time so I don’t think you want to go tit for tat with me on those points. I wish you a nice day sir.

See how simple that was? I was able to respond and articulate my stance to his statements without even having to answer a single question. I also was able to defuse potential arguments by simply stating my qualifications. All of this was done RESPECTFULLY and I think you’ll be pleased to see that all parties are able to step away unscathed. Perhaps Mr. Skull will retort. Perhaps not. But we were still able to communicate despite his superior position to me. 

Report Post Tip

Mr. Skull will retort. Although I appreciate this demonstration that two people can have a civil disagreement, I have to point out the flaw in your logic. Constitutional law would apply only if La Cosa Nostra had a constitution. As it were, we do not. I even alluded to this fact in my previous statements. Under the Fourth Amendment of the US Constitution, someone charged with a crime has a right to due process under the law. Feel free to substitute whatever other constitutional right you wish, for example, freedom of speech under the First Amendment, which is most likely what you believe applies here. Sadly, it does not. The Constitution protects individuals against infringement on their rights by the government. It does NOT protect individuals against infringement on their rights by the mafia.

Report Post Tip

RICHTERBELMONT was on break from his battle against the VAMPIRE MENACE, one could not battle vampires all day. Not even someone as great as RICHTERBELMONT could.

In his free time RICHTERBELMONT was also a connoisseur of political philosophy, which is why he listened along with interest to the discussion between the two gentlemen.

"WILLIE_G_SKULL YOU RAISE AN INTERESTING POINT."

Constitutional law would apply only if La Cosa Nostra had a constitution. As it were, we do not.

"ARE WE PERHAPS IN NEED OF ONE?"

Report Post Tip

Obviously, we are in need of one, RICHTER. I think that was the intention behind the meetings of the five families, but it never got done because who has time and is also capable of the daunting task?  Obviously, you cannot do it. The minute you slack off on vampire hunting, the streets would be crawling with bloodsuckers.  My never-ending quest to find a delicious and sustainable alternative to guacamole keeps me busy all day, every day. Perhaps Chille would be interested in creating a preliminary draft, of sorts? A Magna Carta that would eventually evolve into a living, breathing document that details everything from how families will be organized to how to deal with those who break Omerta.

We also have to consider how to enact the supreme law. Traditionally, a convention is called where the bodies to be governed either ratify or reject the document. I suppose we would have to organize a sitdown with all the families, with a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down determining the fate of the document and indeed, of our future.

Report Post Tip

Pest was about for a change.  Not much happened in the streets of worth.  

"Most everything we do is now decided over on Whatsapp Avenue, or Discord Lane.   The actual Mafia streets are obsolete and mostly filled with gobbledegook."

Pest puffy puffed and sippy sipped like all the good gangsters and carried upon his way.

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $171,111 Tip

We also have to consider how to enact the supreme law. Traditionally, a convention is called where the bodies to be governed either ratify or reject the document.

Correct. But while the spirit of my speech here today was to encourage debate and associate rights (civil, constitutional, etc.), my intent was not to debate law here today. However I would be happy to continue a more in depth discussion perhaps in another place, at another time. I do miss the old days of spirited debate though, and lament what the underworld society has devolved into. People mouth off to a person of a Made status and wonder why they are swiftly executed  It’s a feeling of entitlement moreso than a knowledge of one’s own rights as an associate. There’s a difference. Those people are entitled brats, yet another thing we agree on. This gets confused with people that wish to speak and converse but also have a very broad understanding of their own rights and want to help others by showing them. Through not only words, but demonstration.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

"Most everything we do is now decided over on Whatsapp Avenue, or Discord Lane.   The actual Mafia streets are obsolete and mostly filled with gobbledegook."

Buzzkill alert, better hide your lemons when this guy's in town

ChilleDeCastro, as someone obviously well-versed in constitutional law, the suggestion of drafting a constitution could give you the opportunity to write the laws the way you would want to live them? I am quite large and strong so, with my support, your amendments would be unlikely to face opposition. In return for my support I would like an amendment criminalizing non-bodybuilder lifestyles, which would likely need to be paired with the construction of some sort of fat prison for unfuckable men. We can discuss details later, I'm very flexible (because of my active lifestyle). 

Report Post Tip

I think the way @ChillieDeCastro is being attacked here tells you everything you need to know about the streets.  If it isn't Kuku and his gang running newcomers to our world away, it's the same bunch of actual criminals verbally assaulting writers.

Willie and Hugo are obviously disciples of his

Report Post Tip
I do not feel as though I was attacked, and even if I did, I would know how to handle myself in that situation as well. Trust me, it would not be an issue. I’m not so concerned with this person or that person’s disciples. I’m looking for my own disciples, so to speak. I’m confident others will be onboard once they see what they could be doing and the correct way to conduct themselves.
Report Post Tip

You can't remain silent on the attacks on writers, can you @ChillieDeCastro?

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Debate vs. Nasty Arguments
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL