Get Timers Now!
X

May 08 - 23:28:32
Page:  1 
What does it take to be a CL? Started by: JforJoker on Aug 14, '12 16:39

I had a friend message me one day, and he sounded a bit excited. He talks on and on about his life in the mafia. And out of know where he says he wants to be a CL. This is what i said. " Well bud, it takes a lot to be a CL. You have to show you deserve it." Then i got to thinking about a couple of higher ranked people. And remembering what they said. I remember listening to there jaw flop back and fourth. And hearing NOTHING but "I DESERVE". The real truth to the matter is yes you do get respect. But as being a crew leader you have to respect who's in your family. Because you lasted 2 weeks does not make you a god. When you do something important for the game or your family then that makes you a GOOD leader. I believe half of the reason why CL's die is because they think to much of themselves. So the question i want to put out there is.... Are you really a good CL, or are you just a kid that lasted a while?
You pick!

* JforJoker *

Report Post Tip

You have to be coffee shop friends with the right people. The more crews I've been apart of really makes me appreciate the competent CLs. There's a big difference in leading and being a CrewLeader. 

Report Post Tip

Yes. I totally agree. Because ur titled CL does not mean u act like one

Report Post Tip

You have to be coffee shop friends with the right people. The more crews I've been apart of really makes me appreciate the competent CLs. There's a big difference in leading and being a CrewLeader.

Its not a requirement, in truth, but it certainly helps if you utilize the coffee shop.

Granted it was a long time ago now, but the first member of my bloodline that was authed, was granted it because of the work he did for his leader at that time. He had never used the Coffee shops. I know things have changed a lot since then and people use the coffee shops now more than ever, but you don't have to become best friends with everyone in it before you can work towards being a CL, simply using it so that people get to know you is enough.

And when you say "the right people", I would argue these people should be those in your city and family. You should make every effort to get to know them, as if they don't know and trust you, why would you think they'd support your role as Crewleader?

Far too many people don't realise that being a Crewleader isn't all fun and games, either. There is a lot of work involved in the role, many people flurish in it, even more fail.

Report Post Tip

I can think of several but im not pointing out names

Report Post Tip

if youre going to make a back handed comment like that name names

Report Post Tip

So I made my candid remark with a touch of spice in it for a reason. Time and time again we see the same names go bold. Some may argue that these are the same bloodlines who, regardless of their previous characters or coffee shop affiliations, continue to prove they are capable leaders and rise to the top fairly easily in each instance of their in-game life. I'd argue that the number selected because they've proven themselves as a good leader in the past is much smaller than we are pushed to believe. 

A few things in a crew are fairly basic. You are expected to act a certain way in IRC and the forums. You are expected to do certain things for the family such as tribute and send in shot reports. You are expected to listen to the slanties as well as the bold. You are expected to wear your tag proudly in your profile. These things are standard and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put these products together or talk a big game in the HQ Crew Forum on a sticky'd thread.

We start seeing the differences in how leaders communicate with their subordinates and peers. Up and down the chain of command, each mobster should be the most important member of the crew. Sometimes it takes a little effort *gasp* to please your members. Yes - CLs should work for their members. It's a self-licking ice cream cone. You take care of me, treat me with respect and make me feel welcome into the crew, and I'll do the same for you. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. 

Hey, I've been there. It's hard to juggle SRs and sponsors and internal bullshit from that one member everyone seems to have causing them grief. But a quick 30 second message to your new guy helps. A quick 30 second message to your veteran player also helps. It's not just the CL job to foster healthy crew relationships, but both hands. And the HSL. And whoever the fuck else considers themsemselves a pillar of the crew. Relationships are key.

Relationships are key to being a quality CL. Not because you have a big gun, are IWP, or are an auto-auth because you're a familiar name. Effectively leading and managing personnel...cause there is a difference...is what makes you great.

Report Post Tip

I totally agree.

Report Post Tip

not necessarily . lot's of CL die because they think of them selves? I would like to think that most CL that die died thinking about their city? 

Report Post Tip

Some do. But i know several that dont.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: What does it take to be a CL?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL