Get Timers Now!
X

May 08 - 21:24:03
Page:  1 
PC deadwood. Started by: Countdown on Sep 04, '12 14:29

So.. we have a Player Commission... I think... somewhere... maybe.

Current PLAYER Commission CL holding the highest vote token... an ADMIN. Ok, I realise Izzy took up this position after tita quit but having an admin voting on something that was supposed to be done entirely by the players is a bit... what's the word? pointless? I dunno.. I'll get back to that at a later date.

Like I said, I realise this was a spur of the moment reaction to tita quitting, so I don't want to dwell on it too much as I'm sure there are plans to sort this issue out.

The real point to this is... activity of the Player Commission.

Some of them, I have never seen comment.

Some of them were active in the first week, then have barely visited since.

I just looked back through the Suggestions forum and noticed that in almost a week (surely enough time for any PC to login once and comment and/or vote) and noticed that apart from ONE comment by PC-FlashFire and ONE vote by PC-Squishy that only PC-Pratster and PC-Grin have even bothered to leave any comments or sponsored ideas in the suggestions forum.

So... what is the point in most of these other PC's having this job? They're doing absolutely jack shit. Barely any comments are being made on the suggestions... even fewer are getting sponsored (I wouldn't mind if some of them had actually read the thread and said they don't like the idea so won't sponsor it, but they haven't).

Honestly... the ones slacking should either man up and step down so we can get some people in who are going to be pro-active, or they should be fired. I'm not entirely sure who would have the final say on whether they stay or go, but I for one am sick of it already. I've had a lengthy conversation with a few people on IRC (one of them is in the Commission) and they're pretty much in agreement with this.

There are plenty of other people who'd love to have a real say on game suggestions.

Either do your job or take a hike.

Report Post Tip

I will agree and disagree with your thread my friend. I do agree that there needs to be more activity with the PC staff. However, I do believe also with the circumstances of PC-Tita retiring, that there needs to be a little room given for the ground to be made up. It's not easy having the Leader of the PC committee to be replaced. That position NEEDS to be someone that is HIGHLY respected through the community and is trusted with certain opinions and actions. Whether or not that should be an admin, is purely opinionated.

With that being said though, if Squishy is to stay at the head of the PC arrangement. I believe the name of "Player Commission" should be removed and named something else, as it is now no longer ran by a player.

Everyone has their own lives and own priorities to live by. How they choose to use the power that is given to them, is based on their priorities and views of the game. (Depending on when/how they vote on the forums) I am a very strong believer that there are some members of the PC staff who honestly don't care about the PC. Those people should be removed. I also do agree that if you're active on your PC account, but not being active in the forums, you should be removed from PC.

The PC, is supposed to be based for the users to vote and get a good feedback to the admin staff as far as progression goes for the site. We have seen a little bit of progression, I feel like the game was expecting people to be a little more active within it though. I will say I have seen multiple PC accounts login, and sit idly on multiple occasions. If they have the time to login, I believe they should take the courtesy 5 minutes to at least vote on a subject on whether or not they approve of the idea.

Posting isn't necessarily a big need here, but it IS needed. Voting on an idea is crucial to say the least. I also personally think the players should be allowed ONE post per person, in each thread, to give the PC a chance to see something from the outside looking in, before making their final decision on voting on the thread.

Report Post Tip

I'll just address things one at a time...

Squishy as the leader: He took it quickly like he did so that things could still be run, votes need to be started, ect, and that has to be done by the PC leader. Grin was offered the position and said that he did not feel he had the free time to run the PC. We have not voted for a new leader because a vote system for that does not even exist yet. As for him sponsoring and voting... why the heck not? Who loves this game more than him?

Inactive PC members: The PC members were chosen quite some time ago and then there was a massive delay in actually building the PC into the game. The tita thing was also depressing. A handful of them aren't active in the game at all. Again, no vote because said system does not exist yet.

Getting rid of inactive PC members: We will definitely come up with grounds for retirement for PC members once we have a viable way to replace them.

tl;dr: We need the PC member voting system. We'll work on that.

Report Post Tip

As for him sponsoring and voting... why the heck not? Who loves this game more than him?

I have no issue at all with Squishy sponsoring and voting. I know he loves this game just as dearly if not more than I by a mile. I am simply stating, that if he were to STAY as the PC Crew Leader, then I would just prefer it being called a different organization. As you say, some aren't even active in the game anymore. It's a bit redundant in my opinion. Some may not view it that way, it's about opinions at that point.

Report Post Tip

enkindle cross dresses anyway so I guess we all have our little secrets?

[something important, interesting and valid here]

Report Post Tip

Squishy staying on the PC is not the intention, for sure.

Report Post Tip

This has given me a giggle.

Unless instructed to by izzy I can categorically say I will not be posting in every thread I read, I will also not be posting that I won't be sponsoring every suggestion I don't wish to sponsor.

I joined the pc to try and assist the game, if I read a suggestion I believe will improve the game I will comment and sponsor, of I see one I think is a bag of shite then again I will say so. The others I'm indifferent to I don't comment on I see zero benefit of trolling it for the hell.

I can assure you though I read the game suggestions frequently and within the working on ones I am either forming my own opinion on or waiting for a response to my feedback. As to the PC leadership maybe someone will step up and take the role.

Finally TeQ I believe player commission roles are for 60 days from memory then the positions are reviewed. So there probably isn't too much longer till the next batch are voted for.

Report Post Tip

Well, at least this thread has spurred some other members to get online and post...

Report Post Tip

Hmmm, what could we do to assure the users that you have though? Because I agree, having the POST a reply to every single idea wouldn't work. I can think of a couple options.

One, add more buttons like sponsor but "Oppose" and "Indifferent", they wouldn't count for anything but showing your stance. If still fully sponsored it would go to vote at which point you could vote against it.

Or, I can make it say that it tracks each suggestion and PC thread a PC member views and at the top it can say which PC members have viewed it, and maybe when their last view was.

I'm just tossing out ideas though.

Report Post Tip

There's a lot of "I's" in that post El-Nino, there's more than just you in the PC you know?

And as Pratster has pointed out... it seems to have had the desired effect.

Report Post Tip

Quite like the first option enkindle.. then at least the users will know that the PC ARE reading the posts, no matter whether they're for, against or simply not moved by it.

Report Post Tip

I like the idea of having stances other than sponsor so players can get a feel of how the suggestion stands. But also having a date of the last time the PC member looked is also helpful, so it can maybe be pointed out to an opposing member if the idea has evolved.... I don't know though.

Report Post Tip

The Player Commission is a naturally emotive topic as the majority of us genuinely care about the game and want to have an input into prospective features and developments. However despite that, this thread was hardly the best way to address any issues that you may have with it. Poor form there.

Anyway, from a PC perspective, we lost two very active, knowledgeable members in terms of tita and Tosca. These will need to be replaced, but I'm sure you can appreciate that this is not something that will happen over night. Further PC recruits would be welcome and I have offered to read any applications that people have put forward should that be required. I'm sure everyone can agree that not everyone is suitable for the PC as it requires not only objectivity, but also an implicit understanding of the wider issues that effect the game which many people simply don't possess.

As to the contribution levels, I would agree that some have not been up to scratch. However, I read everything and comment on virtually everything. If I haven't commented it will either be because another member of the PC already has or I can't think of anything valid to add. That, to me, seems perfectly reasonable and I'll continue to operate in that manner for the duration of my time on the PC.

In terms of the PC leadership, I'm pretty certain Squishy's tenure at the helm is purely out of necessity given tita's retirement. As enkindle stated, I was approached about taking it over and initially rejected it as I'm not sure how definite my time will be in the upcoming months. Anyone who knows me will know that I like to go from playing to a complete break of 6-12 months and then repeat the process. That doesn't seem the most productive situation for the head of the PC to me, but I have offered to head it up if that will be better than the current situation and I'm really enjoying contributing to the PC in any capacity.

I would like to add, that as a senior player here, I think that it has been a great addition to the site. I'm ridiculously proud to be able to potentially steer something that I play as a hobby in the direction that I think is best. I can't tell EA Sports to make Fellaini a colossus on Fifa after all, despite the obvious need for that to happen. I think that allowing users to have a say in the direction of the game is a ballsy step, especially as those of us on the PC aren't necessarily just friends of the owners. Equally, I believe that the people who have contributed to it have done so in a really impressive and objective manner leaving any personal issues at the door and dealt with the suggestions at hand professionally.

Report Post Tip

Understand where you're coming from Grin, but I think this WAS the best place and way to go about it. It got the attention of a couple of the PC members who have since become active, it is also in a place where EVERYONE can see it and have their opinion on it. (Let's be honest, these conversations usually take place in the coffeeshops and not everyone uses them). Where else would be better? So for me... not poor form.

As for the leadership issue, I said I didn't want to dwell on it as I was sure there was some sort of idea in place. It just doesn't seem right that an admin has the highest vote power, so I threw it in there. I know Izzy loves the game more than most and will always do what he feels is best for this place, but that still doesn't alter the fact that this is/was supposed to be an entirely player based organisation.

But again.. don't want to dwell on it. I've had conversations with enkindle and read the posts and 100% believe it is not going to be permanent so that puts any worries I had to rest.

You were most definitely not in the list of people who are doing very little Grin, but look at it from our side... if YOUR contributions were taken out of that forum, does it look like many others are even bothering to read the suggestions? They might be... but we have no way of knowing it (also, rarely seeing them online doesn't exactly fill people with confidence with regards to activity). Yes, the PC has lost members, but why should that excuse other PC members from doing next to nothing?

As I've said in the conversation I had with enkindle on IRC, I am MASSIVELY in favour of the Player Commission. I believe it's one of the best additions .org/MR has ever made. It gives us users the chance to air our views. Also, yes... the people have done well in leaving their personal issues at the door.

Report Post Tip

A quick and simple answer is, it does not excuse them. They will be cleaned out when the time for that comes around.

Report Post Tip

http://mafiareturns.com/comm/pc_members.php

It's a good start. What else can I do to make it useful?

Report Post Tip

Enkindle, you really are amazing...

Nuff said.

Report Post Tip

Looks fantastic enkindle. Nice job so far :)

Now people can actually see what and who I mean with regards to the inactivity within the PC without getting all hyped up and condescending.

Report Post Tip

Enkindle that is incredible. Nice work

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: PC deadwood.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL