Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 04:10:18
Page:  1 
Words Like Violence, Break the Silence Started by: Arnold on Jan 11, '13 15:42

A precedented burst of activity, a name made, a personality shaped, a presence presented.

Whilst abjectly lacking in literacy flourish and largely rehashing familiar themes, there has nevertheless been a definite change to these Streets lately.   

But more than a stated desire is needed to get the Streets moving.  The cut and thrust of debate must be generated.  Yes, we need help from those in bold.  I recall a CL of old, STAE, offering financial inducements for those willing to debate.  We remember also a reign of terror inflicted on the Streets by CLs who shall remain nameless but who killed for nothing more than speaking.

Let us take a moment to remember them.

Thank you.

So it is that we come to the Streets of today.  And I would like to present to you, the peon masses, a thought experiment.

It is my considered opinion that the tenure of a Godfather should be time limited, if not by the Gods then by convention.  After a year, he or she should step down.  Not all the way, but to at least bold CL.  Let another Don step up to the plate.

In summary – a year is way too long for a someone to be a GF in this thing of ours.  The GF/CL Council/s should devise a protocol to prevent it happening again.

Report Post Tip

This is the Mafia, not fucking Congress. There are no term limits and there never should be. A Godfather should serve as long as he feels, and nobody is stopping anyone from ending a Godfather's reign early either. I believe the old adage is 'rank up and do something about it'. If someone thinks an individual has been in power too long - do something about it.

As far as the gods interfering in such a matter I don't believe in such things. When it comes to the deities that watch over us I believe whole-heartedly in the watchmaker analogy. They created this thing of ours to be able to run on it's own. We do what we do, in whatever way we see fit. The gods only really need step in when the watch stops working or is broken. I don't see this as one of those times. 

Report Post Tip

Tricky_Dick, you are named after one of the most effective Street speakers that this thing has ever known.  You should emulate more and condemn less.

But well done on speaking, content notwithstanding.

The fact is that we *are* bound by convention.  Otherwise, people would leave crews, youngsters would be shot and the term "rogue" wouldn't exist.

Does the fact that we have such standards mean we are "fucking Congress"?

So, in summary, I shall say merely this.

Report Post Tip

Personally I'd like to think that we're a hell of a lot more effective than Congress...

At any rate though, we do tout ourselves as members of organized crime. We organize ourselves to maintain the most profitable situation humanly possible. Most of these 'conventions' you allude to are about safety, respect, and money. Having someone's reign be 'too long' doesn't really have anything to do with those three key elements. 

Personally I'm just not sure what you'd like to see accomplished by adding some kind of term limit. If someone happened to be ineffective or weak they would probably be taken out by an opportunistic Don. If someone were a tyrant then of course you would probably see them taken out by those they oppressed. 

I don't see why anything has to be written in stone especially with the way this thing of ours tends to operate. 

Another thing I would like to mention is that this suggestion is a double-edged sword. What if an acting godfather - in power over a year - was the best Godfather these shores had ever seen? Street activity was at an all time high, opportunity abound, and many interesting goings-on, somewhat of a 'golden age'... would you want to see this man or woman forced into retirement due to a silly term limit rule?

Report Post Tip

In response to your question, yes, organisation is just the ticket.

But the facts speak for themselves.

i am etching this on a tablet so will park it for now.

Report Post Tip

Well in some why i agree with Arnold about Godfather's being in office for too long. As an example we let Godfather's/Godmother's stay for over a year then what are we doing? We are just letting them sit and run thing's, yes. But what if it were to come that we needed new leadership, someone else to take the reign's and this Godfather/Godmother currently in power decides to disagree. Answer me this, how many innocent lives would be taken before this man/women was taken down. So much would be destroyed if this were ever to happen which im not saying it will. I don't agree to all of what Arnold said but i do agree that there should be some time limit or other rules to how and how long a Godfather/Godmother stay's in power.

Report Post Tip

Outside of Roman, can you name anyone who has been Godfather for one year? If someone has, and I have forgotten them, please enlighten me!

Report Post Tip

I can see where your coming from, however I must disagree. It should be those in power to decide whether or not they step down. I have said numerous times in the past, if you want something to change then make it change. Regardless of how powerful they may be, anyone at anytime can be removed. Numbers create power, and if the majority wants something done it will happen.

Stoned hits his joint

I condone your opinion, as well as your presence and your will to make it known. Even though I disagree you made your points. I just think if people feel someone has been in tenure too long, well then do something about it. If not then obviously something is being done correctly and sometimes things just don't need to be changed. If something isn't broken, then at times it's best not to fuck with it.

Report Post Tip

Sorry to say this but frankly, I don't like your idea having a term limit, I understand you have your own reasons but for me I'm totally not a fan of it, why?, I'll make it simple, Were all criminals here man we don't abide the law, we're doing what true mafioso or syndicate does, we came to these shores to do crimes, make a profit for the family, make a tribute for your protection, prove yourself worth it in these "thing of ours", in short we don't need terms were here to prove ourselfves worthit in these path we choose take, in fact there is no innocents here unless your -48 hours right?, There will always be a rogue, this is not a solution it happens also in real life, it's a natural effect of the community theyre in.

Always respect, love your family and those that are connected or have a link to you why?. Because they're the main reason you gain reputation and trust. They will also be the one that will be putting you in the position you want to be someday, every position they're in right now Godfathers, Crew Leaders, RHM, LHM etc, they earned, deserved it totally.

If you we're given a position, be credible on that position you were in, don't think about ranking up that doesn't make sense, instead do your best, let them know your more worth it than the position you were in right now and don't stop make it a habit.

Having a Godfather reign a year or more in the city they were in, I can call it a blessing.

The people that have died in recent wars his comrades, foes, beloved friends that has sacrificed themselves for a better future of their own city would not end in vain or shame, being a Godfather for more than a year is an achievement not only for him but also for his city and the people that is within his influence.

Report Post Tip

This suggestion goes against the very fabric of our society. Time constraints for those bold enough to work their way to the top and stay there?

Last time I checked, this world was based on an age old concept: survival of the fittest. By hook or by crook, if you make it to Godfather and you manage to hold fast to that position for a year, fair play.

Introducing democracy to the Mafia...What next? Industrial action against crew leaders? Gangsters and goombas going on strike? Next of kin taking families to some imaginary court because their mother or father was unfairly dismissed?

Please.

Report Post Tip

"Ideas are more dangerous than any gun.  If we do not allow our enemies weapons, then why should we allow them to have ideas?"

I think most candid approaches to leadership follow this silence as it is a survival tool.

But as I have noted in previous statements... Too many men at the top surviving and so few actually living.  

My advice?  Follow a leader worth following and listen to everyone who speaks - especially those whom you would spend a lifetime agreeing with, or a lifetime objecting at the top of your lungs.  You will learn more by these actions than from any one speech.

Mr. Pickles,

my uncle once gave me a valuable piece of advice: He said; "Ballsy, if a man wishes to remain silent, especially as a means of survival, then listen to his silence and then move on to the next man who chooses to speak.  For one, you will learn when it's best to remain silent yourself.  Second, you will always gain something from the man who chooses to speak.  And last, you will come to learn that most men at the top who choose not to speak only do so because they spent years coming to terms with the fact they have nothing to offer with their words.  So in a sense, they are doing the both of us a favor by not speaking and you are doing yourself a favor by not waiting.  

To be frank Mr. Pickles, I don't mind not having to listen to voiceless men.  They've done us all a favor really.  I'd rather know who to follow and who not to early on.

Meh, just my two cents...

Report Post Tip

It appears I have addressed the wrong crowd with my post... (Wrong thread) err...

Report Post Tip

Lilac, these are interesting ideas.

who would chairbsuchna body?

Report Post Tip

Well, I like this idea and then I hate this idea. I like this idea because it would make this thing of ours less stagnant and more people would feel the illusion of having a shot at Godfather, but at the same time I hate the idea for the same reason. This is the Mafia, there is a reason this place never has an extremely high amount of people wanting to be part of it, and that's because it's an acquired taste, if you will. A place in which only around 10% of the people participating are important is never going to be popular, but to change it would be changing the Mafia, and the rules of the Mafia have been in place for far longer than we have; and we should respect them.

I'm sure that's the same sentiments a lot of people would have... Well, most of them will just downright hate the idea, but whatever.

Prances off into the sunset.

Report Post Tip

In Summary after my bloodline has been here over ten years, we still have people "copping out" with a debate on how to end the reign of the top dog, as they cannot do it legitimately.

Also in summary it translates the same way : " I was outplayed, I am not top dog, it ain't fair"

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Words Like Violence, Break the Silence
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL