Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 12:40:47
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Is Something Wrong Here? Started by: SammyGarcini on Feb 05, '13 23:11

In response to Alexander's 'kicking the proverbial dead horse' stance; If we didn't speak about things in fear of kicking a dead horse, nobody would come to these streets with discussions. Ninety-Nine percent of topics have already been discussed multiple times. Over time though, they need to be bought to the public's attention again.

As I said, if they weren't the streets would be more dead than the horse. Everybody else seems fine with discussing them again though, so the topics can't be that dead, can they?

Report Post Tip

Godfather Garcini, you have brought to the streets some great points.

In regards to the cities as they stand I don't think there is a need to expand into Boston at this time, once the current cities are bursting at the seam then i'm sure expansion will be discussed. Experiments are good to keep things interesting and to give new people a chance to lead a family who may not have that opportunity in the traditional way of authing but I think having experiments too often will take the shine off of becoming a family head as people may sit around and think another experiment wont be too far away I will just wait till then, rather than proving to their current family head that they are capable of leading their own family.

I will be the first to admit that my street presence is lacking, I am always lurking and listening but sometimes anything I want to say has been said and my input isn't required. I would rather talk when I need to than talk for the sake of talking because I am a Godfather. I think Don Vaticus hit the nail on the head when he said that a leader should also be judged on all aspects of communicating not just those they the masses can see.

In regards to promoting people, before I became Godfather anyone that became Made in my family had to work hard for it not just gather the required experience. Gaining your button is a big deal and shouldn't be given out with ease, that said any family that my bloodline has worked for has always made your earn your button.

Report Post Tip

I am sorry if i do not put this as eloquently as most, but the truth is I am someone who sometimes recently lacks the motivation recently to get out of bed, unless I get a telegram or a knock at my door.  My crewleader is a great guy, down to earth but you know not to cross the line with him.  The families great but is something missing and is partly down to city hall and some of it's policies.  The truth is i saw a crew recently from outside my city who had a guy on their books since may of last year who had done nothing since, not long after i heared he had died and the truth is my only surprise was he had been kept around so long.

It has been quoted that our population is growing but is the productivity or quality growing with it? the streets are quiet, is that a Godfathers fault, no is everyones.  We can all contribute, even if looked at and walked past as may inspire someone else.  The thing about the streets seem to be if it isn't controversial or gripping sometimes, it just floats down into obscurity.

In regards to experiments, i have never been a fan, these often create a brutality thats bad for business.  Finally in regard to being a family head, i can understand the desire, my family line have done it on a few occassions and is not always as great as it loooks.  The money helps, you meet new people, exchange new ideas and test your skills but is a lot of work and can be ended in an instant due to just a few members messing up.  Is not something i would rush into but i don't think it is something everyone is suited for, sometimes a slow grooming to the position is better then rushing in head first.

Report Post Tip

I didnt say it shouldnt be discussed, I said I dont have the answers.

Report Post Tip

Should the crew leaders and Godfathers have a greater street presence than anybody else? It's true after all, we do hold bigger positions in society, and should be leading by example. How are we to expect anybody else to come out to the streets, if we ourselves don't bother with it?

My Godfather, I believe all CL's and GF's should have atleast a moderate level of street presence because I think their words have a greater impact on this community rather than a crew member speaking in the streets. Leaders attract more attention than ever when they're seen speaking to masses. I don't know if it's like that way because we rarely see CL's/GF's carry out speeches but I still would like to think their words carry more weight than anybody else. And let me say this, I do realize leaders are super busy so I'm not saying they should have a greater street presence than everybody else. All I'm saying that it would be beneficial to the community if all the leaders as a whole would come out and communicate to the masses on an occasional basis. After all, they are the ones who are leading this community.

Ladies and gentlemen, do not paint all these crews with the same brush. Just because some crews auto promote their people, doesnt mean that all crews follow suit. I can stand here on this corner and assure you that auto promotion doesnt occur within my family. You can ask anyone who has made their bones within my crew, nothing is just given to them. Hard work, dedication, and a true sense of family bonding is all required.

Alexander, what crews exactly are auto promoting their members?

Report Post Tip

As I'm the first in my family to enter this line of work, my opinion may not hold much weight, but speaking of whether bosses should have greater street presence than the rest of us, I'd say the most important thing is that the crew itself gets represented on the street. Be it the leader or another member doesn't hold that much importance if you ask me. And it goes without saying that the speaker should have skills with words.

Report Post Tip

As Lucas walks through the streets and stops to share his mind alittle to the public. 

I can agree with a lot of "ALL" you here including Godfather SammyGarcini of New York who started the discussion. I think is is a very important as a role as a Cl and a GF to come out the the streets often as possible. I think the members them self should show interest as well to back their "CITIES" UP. I remember a very long time when the streets where more like Godfather Garcini is talking about. What is really going on here perfect opening to this. Hopefully this discussion right here might bring some old bloodlines to the table more often then usual, we sure as hell need it to keep these streets breathing.  

But like you Padrino, my opinion may not hold as much weight as some here since I'm only a young Capo in the crime world. I think every crew should have a member dedicated to street talks. A person not afraid to talk and say anything that's on a lot of people's minds but still be respectful in a civilian manner. 

Me personally has thought back and forth on experiments at some points of thinking highly of them and on certain times not so much. I have been part of a few. But they can be good for someone who has never had the right opportunity then some to get their feet wet. But then again brings a lot of bloodshed and bad business, NOT ALL ARE FIT FOR THE JOB. But look at all the successful ones, One for instance Godfather Revolve, he was fit for the job and succeeded on his conquest. They all took the shot of Cl and some did a pretty damn good job at it. And you can see that through all the bad apples there are some good ones who can run their own crew and was worth giving the shot. Like some said having a crew ain't all peaches a cream folks. To any new and inspired CL's make sure this is what you want to do. And " DO " it right, a lot of time and dedication is the key to success and of course "NETWORKING". I may not know everything. But I can proudly say I know a thing or two don't you think? 

As Lucas sits back and listens to the rest of the people of the cities discuss their opinions 

Report Post Tip

Should the crew leaders and Godfathers have a greater street presence than anybody else? It's true after all, we do hold bigger positions in society, and should be leading by example. How are we to expect anybody else to come out to the streets, if we ourselves don't bother with it?

There is the other side to it though. A Godfather will have a lot more on his plate than a regular member, maybe he just doesn't have the time to come out and speak. Should he make time? Maybe. I think that street presence is very important, and I am very disappointed with my own. I am by no means suggesting what other people should do, or that they should be following my lead, that would be arrogant and ridiculous of me.

What do you think about it? Should we be out here more often? Or do you cherish the fact that you can speak between yourselves, without a crew leader or Godfather coming out and maybe speaking over you? All things to think about.

I have highlighted this part as this is the bit I would like to add too.

I myself these days am not one to come to the streets as frequently as I once have. Mainly for reasons that have been stated already and that share the same opinion as mine. Beating the dead horse. There is only so many times you can change the words on your opinion of something. I also agree with Godfather Garcini's point of some things needing to be beaten over and over again. The streets would be dead and those newer to our shores might be able to add a different opinion. Which would then obviously be something more interesting to discuss rather than what you have discussed in the past. Which is why I come back to what I have quoted.

I find it kind of funny to be honest that it has taken a well thought out but re-hashed subject by the Godfather of New York to get some interest in the streets from our countries leaders and Godfathers. Now, as most of you know... I am a sad cunt but everyone should try to back up what they're saying. So I did go to every single conversation currently going on this here street (Front page of streets) and search for how often or how little a crewleader or Godfather has shown their presence there. As you could have probably guessed I found at the most 2. Yet we all know, if not from our family lines dating back as far as we care to remember or even a new family line hitting this country of crime for the first time, one way or another, we all know that street presence is a desired trait and well respected trait. One that is used often to judge on whether a person gets his/her button or their own crew.

So I definitely do believe that a crewleader and Godfather should show and build a reputable street presence not just to confirm their position and how they got there but to lead by example. If the crewleaders and Godfathers didn't keep this trait going then how could they then expect their members to follow suit? If I was a newer family to this country then I would certainly be thinking "Well, if my leader doesn't do it and he climbed the ladder. Why should I?". Let's be honest with ourselves, no one is really going to be wandering the streets looking for things that their leader had maybe said 3 months a go before they became a crewleader or were just starting out. Unless specifically pointed in that direction.

It does beg a question to me though. Is there a reason the crewleaders and godfathers have chosen to show less of a presence in other areas of the streets over this particular corner where Godfather Garcini is speaking? Does it show that it matters a whole lot more who is speaking rather than the words and opinions being spoken? I don't know. Judging by what I see in front of me though, it would seem so.

Report Post Tip

PoisonousJelly I have to disagree with you, the reason that I have come out here to comment is not because the Godfather of New York has put together a well rounded speech but because it is something I feel I need to input on. Yes there are other topics that I probably should say something on but as you have put it there are only so many ways of saying the same thing. If it had been Thug Garcini or Godfather Garcini I would of still came out here to pass comment.

Report Post Tip

I see things like this, and please note that what words follow aren't a critique of anyone in particular.

These Streets aren't an exact science.  What words get you wacked change from week to week.  Therefore, those with the least to lose are sometimes the ones with the most to say.  The most powerful are concentrated, understandably, on their crew or city, and probably don't have much time to hear what's on the Streets, let alone stimulate discussion.

Speaking out of turn has led to the deaths of at least one person, on average, per bloodline (stat from Uni of Expedience), and it's this potential danger that draws people in as well as scares them out.   Grin wrote a critique of every *living* leader in this thing once, people waited for the shot but it didn't come.  Others were killed for far less.

the Streets should hunt at the coffee shops on IRC Avenue, where a lot of plotting and scheming goes on.  The Streets should be a place where actions are conceived and discussed.  Does this mean wars?  Probably not. Duels?  Hell, why not.

Now, I love the Streets, but I'm not talking on them much.  This is for a few reasons, but mainly this - things are quite quiet.  People are a bit... I wouldn't say bored, but definitely not on edge.  Comfortable people don't need much information.

should we enjoy the prosperous lull? Or should we create our own entertainment in the streets?

Report Post Tip

Well, what is the point in having more cities? Why would we wish to dilute the concentration we currently have? Maybe to satisfy the need for world domination? I cannot see any merit in expansion for that reason. It would only serve to reduce the business standing and overall strength of each city, unless of course we have a major population explosion and therefore demand would necessitate the move. What we see is in my opinion a stable managing of the business capacity of our world.

Well, my personal reasons are that I in fact don't much like the experiments. They put the city at a disadvantage to the rest of them, giving the occupants a wall to climb from the start. I don't like them also, because the leaders of said cities, have not received the same amount of authorisation from there crew leaders, as the other cities crew leaders have.

Well, it so happens that I am a big fan of the experimental city, but I`m going to say that for obvious reasons, aren`t I. Putting someone at a disadvantage and giving them a wall to climb in my book, sets the seed of success in the minds of the successful of the future. Now I haven`t been fortunate enough to have had any form of assistance in setting up in Detroit, it`s all been done with grit, sweat, and guts. I also believe that the team we have built from my hands all the way down to the fresh faces, is healthier, fitter and all the meaner for it. I`m no nurse, nor am I a surrogate mother and I demand an awful lot in return for giving someone the opportunity to work for me. I`m proud of my team and proud of what we have achieved. That goes for the city as a whole too, not just my part of it. So yes, I like experiments, they generally work providing the ingredients are there in the right quantity.

With regard to the vocal capacity of the current crop of leaders, I can only speak for myself here and would say this. Whilst I appreciate the call for more presence, there are limitations which depend on many things and time is a major factor for myself. The early stages of running a crew are the most critical and I generally devote myself to the task at hand without giving much thought to anything else, but eh, that`s how I do it. I may in time give an insight into what it takes to make a move such as I did, and the ups and downs of forging a new name on the city map. Who knows.

The streets are the place to get it out there, in front of everyone, at the risk of adulation or ridicule. It is the place where passions are felt, beliefs publicised and thoughts given freely. I would not put forward anything other than what I firmly believe is worthy of such a platform.

Report Post Tip

Well put Sammy, I shall add my two cents here if that’s all right.

Well, its been a few weeks since we have been knocked down a few cities and everything still seems to functioning fine, I think the big shock for a lot of people was the opportunity for advancement that was taken away above the space that was really not needed. There are a number of people, who were quite frankly licking there chops hoping they might get an opportunity to either run a city of there own. Or maybe a spot would open up within there own cities walls that maybe they could have a chance at.

Im sure there are many reasons why this would upset people, besides the fact that the extra space is gone. I for one liked the fact that it split the cities and flights up a little more, not being able to get to Philly or NY from LV or LA and vice versa I figured was a good thing. Im sure not everyone would agree with me as mentioned by sammy, im sure everyone has there own opinions on the matter.

I don’t think anyone should be pushed into the street to post, I mean this very well might take a lot of the quality of the speeches being had. I would rather see less quantity of speakers or at the least people who don’t speak as often putting in an effort to there words then just spewing a bunch of verbal diarrhea being thrown around because they are being forced to come out here and speak.

As far as the leaders and GFs go they are at the top of the food chain, I think they have the right to free will to make these kind of decisions on there own, is it important, sure is in my opinion, do I come out here near enough, not at all, but this does not mean I don’t keep up with the masses and whats happening out here. I just don’t find myself throwing my two cents into play as much as my past fathers have, and maybe I should but its just the way things are.

Bottom line for me when it comes to the streets, id rather see quality over quantity.

Thanks for the time.

Sephiroth gives the crowd a nod and continues on his way to the nearest 7-11…

Report Post Tip

I must say, Ballistic has a valid point. To the people who ask "Was there auto-ranking in Detroit?" Yes there was. How do I know? I witnessed it first hand. Alexander is right when he says you can't paint them all with the same brush. Detroit was lacking in many ways but that is besides the point right now. As to teh proverbial "dead horse", that is also true to a certain extent. There is one difference though. The "dead horse" is only metaphorically dead. The dead horse is alive but just barely. It is on life support and has been for some time. To the question asked .. "Is Something Wrong Here?"

The answer to the question is yes. This community has become stagnant. There is a lackluster approach that is evident. The little things that make a family a family are not being done. We have been stuck in a rut for awhile now and there has been no attempt to resolve it.

We are now back to two empty cities. This is not good for business. One of these cities is newly formed. It should be up to the entire community to populate this city. Why has this not been done in the manner I saw cities populated when I first came to these shores where each city leader authed someone? It was a simple concept that worked. By Izzy's original intentions (close a city after it is unpopulated for two weeks) Boston should already be closed. There is an old saying that applies to the dormant cities. "Build it and they shall come." I would love to hear why the various cities that have been left dormant here and there over the last six months were never populated. It is rather discouraging. I am sure I am not the only one who feels this as well.

Report Post Tip

Ive seen alot of great points being brought out to the masses today and I agree and disagree with some , but thats besides the point. I myself dont understand alot of things .Ive seen many work very hard put in millions upon millions to there familys hoping to get a chance to fill there shoes one day and never get a chance for one of many reasons. Reasons like not being able to talk in the streets. Some people arent as gifted as others in the attributes of giving a speech.
Another reason Ive seen is. Someone not having put in as much work as another but due the hard worker isnt all buddy should I say cant manage to really show himself unless a expeirement is taken place and the fellow can get a chance to show he can do well just as the others.
I agree there Is no way of making everyone happy there will always be some sort of friction between ones actions and beliefs. Thats the human nature.
I also believe everyone should have a fair chance though. With that being said Im going to go to a bar and have a few drinks.

Cursed looks around the area before taking a step back and walking off into the darkness of the alley ways before him.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Is Something Wrong Here?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL