Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 04:43:33
Page:  1 
The Nature of Control. Started by: Kuku- on Feb 25, '13 21:31

In this thing of ours, there are rules written and unwritten.  Some things are understood, some are implied.

Killing the young, shooting a bodyguard, attacking a CA, it is widely known that such transgressions will lead to an early grave. But what of other acts? Ad hoc scenarios, conduct on these Streets, on IRC Avenue, the leaders of this thing control the people - but aside from the written rules, the people are at times left with a certain grey area in which to inhabit.

At times in the past, people have insulted their own and other leaders. Some died because of this, some didnt. 

At times in the past, people were killed for offering a place on their family to strangers.

At times in the past, high ranking people borrowed money from rival crews. Some died because of this and some didnt. 

Right now, some people mug and duel.  Some have died, some haven't.

Those that don't take risks will recommend that the people don't take these risks.

My question is this:

Do those that often recommend do so out of a desire to control

ARE RECOMMENDATIONS AND RECOMMENDERS SIMPLY THE TOOLS OF CONTROL?

Report Post Tip

Dear Kuku-,

It's great to see you ask questions these days, it's the only way you will learn the "proper" way of this thing of ours.
I recommend you keep asking questions, it's really good.

Besides that recommendation, I also strongly suggest to take calculated risks.
Not taking any risks makes you passive and boring. Easy to control though.
So I ask you, are you ready to be controlled?

Report Post Tip

Mafialicious, my bloodline very much went its own way and in doing so learned some valuable lessons.  The conclusions from these are legion, an object lesson in what not to do.

but I posit this: those that blithely issue and accept recommendations are doomed to glittering careers and legendary names. Those that challenge this, have the opportunity of little.

so, mafialicious, in response to your question, my response is this: I will accept a second in command who issues recommendations, then control my own reaction accordingly.

as a side issue, I'd like to ask all leaders in this thing, whether, or not, they permit the wireless to be playing in their HQs?

Report Post Tip

The people that recommend are those in charge. They do not desire control. They have complete control. They have complete control because they have made and followed the recommended mafia line. The history and the tradition.

Of those that have ruled this world I can think of but a few who went against the grain and ruled for any period of time. Even those, after breaking tradition, reverted back to it.

If they cannot control their members with recommendations they die.

Admittedly people have bent and played with rules to allow close associates to live. But then the rules have never really been broken without some form of punishment. Those that have bent the rules have the power to do so through their control of this world and the power it brought.

Without rules there is no control. Without control there is no power. Without power there is no life. They will die.

Report Post Tip

"What a lot of people have done wrong in this life is simply forget that you can't just keep holding on to your ancestor's past. Holding and harboring grudges isn't something that looks good on anyone. Yes, there are rules one must follow to get through this life without taking friendly fire, But it take a lot more than just command or taking risks. There's a lot to information and there's even a lot of luck involved. Its life really. Nothing is ever certain. Why continue fussing about what not to do and what you should do? What you really should do is enjoy your time here. Stop stressing that the rules may not be exactly what you expect at the time cause it does change that's for certain. Just be patient and try to keep your tongue in check. This is advice not just for the original speaker for anyone who comes to this speech."

Sinfest steps down from the soapbox takes hits hat off as to salute everyone. He takes out a watch and breaks out into a run, obviously late once again for something.

Report Post Tip

I absolutely love this topic Mr. Kuku and I would encourage you with the utmost sincerity, to continue your brainstorming and open street dialogue... Im afraid It is a quality we never fail to undervalue.

On the topic of the "grey" matter between ad hoc scenarios and black and white (right and wrong) by Omertà... I believe it is not the following of our traditions that make us men.. It is our wits and our wits alone that inspire true change.  Those with a lot will inevitably find a way to act wisely in situations where there is no written code or protocol.  After all, protocols exist only because someone, somewhere, somewhen had to have the audacity to write one.

When we look back over our history in this thing of ours, it is not the moments where Omertà was followed rigorously that come to mind.. But rather those where wit and quick action and decision making separated the men from the boys...

Leaders are leaders not because they deserve it, but because they are followed.  For better or worse, the reality is that the inspired will always follow the inspiring.. And what is truly inspiring is a man that is BOLD enough to rewrite the rule book of unwritten rules :)

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Nature of Control.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL