Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 11:41:54
Page:  1 
50 Shades of Paranoia Started by: Katniss on Mar 13, '13 01:32

For the fortieth time that day, Katniss jumped at the loud noise behind her.

Her heart beat out of control, her breathing increased and she immediately turned on the spot, her dark braid swinging behind her; her dark eyes narrowing through the dimming evening light at the culprit. Should she grab her gun? Should she run? She was far too paralyzed in fear to do such a thing, but her hunter's instinct kept screaming at her to do anything.

And with a sudden sigh of relief she watched the two boys play fighting go rushing past her. Briefly she wondered why their parents would let them out past dinner alone, or allow them to make such a loud ruckus in public. The parents, of course, were nowhere to be seen. Her breathing and heart resumed their normal rates as she stood frozen in place, watching them chase one another around the corner of 5th Avenue. Shaking her head she placed her hand to her throat, grasping her mockingjay necklace with a quivering hand.

"You're fine," she said aloud to herself, as she continued slowly trekking down the sidewalk back to her apartment.

Things had been tense for her since her run in with Donnie Morelli in that dark alley weeks ago. Katniss was not used to being threatened, at least not seriously, and the fact that the details of the threat were unknown made it all that much worse for her. Of course she had told Sammy, her Godfather and cousin, as well as a few higher ups in the Chicago Crime Syndicate. Their best advice was for her to lay low. Unfortunately, 'laying low' wasn't one of the young girl's fortes. Despite her best efforts to live and go about her days as normally as possible, Morelli's words echoed in her head at all times. And so, for weeks, at the slightest indication in any change from normal behavior or activity from anyone or anything, she had turned into a quivering mess; usually she caught her cool in time but today... today she was having a rough time piecing herself back together.

"You're fine," she whispered to herself once more as she turned the street corner next to the newsstand the boys had disappeared around moments earlier.

"Well you seem awfully jumpy today," a deep voice quipped, tearing her from her thoughts.

'Fuck!' Katniss thought as she turned wildly, drawing her gun from it's safe-keeping- tucked into the back of her trousers. Her heart caught in her throat as she narrowed her eyes for a second time at the dark figure calmly perusing the daily paper.

Report Post Tip

"You really are jumpy."

Christian repeats as he comes into view under a street light, and tucks his paper under his arm.

"The name's Christian. I'm still rather new to the area so I've had my security adviser, Taylor, brief me on the daily life in Chicago. You, Katniss is it? You intrigued me the most. You are a smart, young, talented woman, yet you are always looking over your shoulder as you roam the streets. Why is that?"

Christian gestures towards a car parked just up the street where there is another man already in the driver's seat.

"That's Taylor. I'd like to take you to a near by cafe and get to know more about the life in Chicago."

Report Post Tip

The girl pursed her lips in irritation as she tucked her gun back into her trousers. Though they had not been formally introduced, she had recognized the man as part of the larger Chicago Crime Syndicate. She had even seen him around Sammy's own headquarters from time to time. This thought relaxed her a bit, but she still didn't know this man from, well, any other stranger at large.

"You ask a lot of questions," she mumbled with a growl, ever the sullen teenager. "It's a long story."

Despite his flattery, and flattery getting you everywhere with, well, anyone, Katniss was still hesistant to climb into a car with the two men. However, if Sammy could trust him, then she could too. At least, when it came to the alternative of walking home on the darkening streets alone.

"You're peculiar, Christian, was it?" was all she said as she walked toward the car and climbed in the backseat.

"Hello Taylor," she said sarcastically after she had settled in. The man nodded in returned and smiled. He had a kind face that reminded her a bit of her father, so she relaxed a little, ashamed at her unwarranted unfriendliness. "Is this Christian's attempt at kidnapping me? What exactly does he need to know about Chicago?"

Report Post Tip

Taylor stares stoically at the front window waiting for instructions from Christian.

"The place at the corner of Wacker and Randolph, Taylor."

Christian returns his attention to the young lady in the vehicle with him.

"No Katniss, This is not an attempt to kidnap you. If I were going to kidnap you I would not have shown you my face."

He takes a deep breath to recenter himself as he rubs his hands together.

"Katniss, I apologize for the way this encounter started. I didn't mean to frighten you in the least. But it's really quite simple. You are a powerful woman. You are the right hand to the most powerful man in Chicago. It's nearly impossible to get this kind of one on one with a lady of you stature. You asked what I needed to know about Chicago. Where I'm from, I used to be a powerful man, I want to be just as respected here in Chicago. Where do I begin?"

Report Post Tip

Katniss raised her left eyebrow as Christian rubbed his hands together. He was treating this kidnapping- yes, it was still a kidnapping as far as she knew, the night was young after all- as a business meeting. It was awkward, yet she understood the wanting to be successful in this lifestyle so humored him as she listened to him talk.

"This best not be a kidnapping or I have no problem shooting you and Taylor."

With an apologetic glance toward the rear-view mirror she shrugged.

"No offense, Taylor."

Her mood perked a bit as she heard what he said. She, a powerful woman? It wasn't often that she considered her position in This Thing, but hearing the perspective from an outsider gave her an interesting insight.

"I'm not..." she started, flustered. "I'm not that important. I mean, I am, but... it's not that hard to like... just get started by, you know... just work your ass off and keep your head down and... wait, what do you mean you used to be a powerful man? What happened?"

Report Post Tip

"Please Katniss, keep that revolver in your trousers holstered. Like I said I used to be a powerful man. I notice things."

He adjusts in his seat to face Katniss.

"Don't worry about Taylor, he is a man that can see beyond my... indiscretions."

He takes another deep breath before continuing.

"In my former life I, well, procured things. If I saw something I wanted I made it mine. However, here in Chicago things are progressing a little slower than that of which I'm used to. I've lost many of my connections from back home starting anew here in the Windy City. When this opportunity came about to pick the brain of the single most powerful woman in town I couldn't wait to have things arranged formally."

Taylor stops the car at the corner of Wacker and Randolph. Quickly he gets out and walks around the car to open the door for Christian and Katniss.

"After you, Miss Everdeen."

Report Post Tip

"Indescretions?" Katniss asked with a gulp, shifting in her seat so she was a few inches further away from Christian. "You know I'm seventeen, right?"

Feeling she would have been in far less danger walking home, she quickly exited the car when Christian told her. The air had become cooler on their ride over to the cafe, which sat before them; small, secluded and private. She had a strong inkling that this was just the way Mr. Grey enjoyed living his life. With a weak smile she walked into the cafe, not waiting for him or Taylor, and was immediately greeted by a friendly older woman as a hostess.

"Table for... er..."

She glanced over her shoulder and saw Taylor had not left the car.

"Two?"

The older woman took one look at Christian, who had sauntered in behind her, and immediately flushed red. Katniss raised her eyebrow for the second time that evening as she followed the hostess to a table in the back. More seclusion. More privacy. Ah well, at least if she was being kidnapped, she could have a decent cup of coffee out of it first.

Sitting down at the table the girl immediately tucked her feet underneath her, folding her hands on the table top and staring at Christian as he sat across from her. She studied him for a moment before leaning forward.

"You must be good-looking. I think that woman almost had a heart-attack when she saw you."

With a smug smile she leaned back and sighed before speaking, taking care to keep her voice low.

"Alright Mr. Grey. So you were a powerful man, you want to attain that all with Chicago. You must realize that I'm not exactly the best at giving advice on how to get far into this Thing? I do odd jobs here and there. My position is one of connection. You said you learned about me, right? Then you must know Sammy is my cousin. You said it yourself- I spend more time looking over my shoulder these days than accomplishing anything. So what exactly do you hope to get out of this meeting with me?"

Report Post Tip

"Please Miss Everdeen, you have me wrong this is strictly a business call."

He smiles.

"I will admit, my looks and charm get me places. I don't even notice it anymore."

The waitress comes by and flushes the same as the hostess.

"We'll take a bottle of the Sancerre, the caprese salad, and two of the sea bass."

The waitress nods and lingers a moment before taking the order to the kitchen.

"I'm sorry, I'm used to making the decisions. Where were we? Ah, yes. I've done my research, I know that you are Mr. Garcini's cousin. That's what I don't understand. Why would a lady of your caliber, with your connections need to be glancing over her shoulder everywhere she went. You should be walking tall and people getting out of your way. What kinds of things would keep you so vigilant?"

Report Post Tip

It seemed her eyebrow was intent on staying arched upward this evening. It was presumptuous of him to order food for her. What if she didn't like fish? Lucky for him she did, or she would be throwing a hissy fit. Not that Katniss threw hissy fits. She was much too calm and collected for such things.

Biting the inside of her cheek she considered for a moment before deciding to tell Christian what had been haunting her the past few weeks. It wouldn't hurt, after all, to have more people in the organization to keep their eyes out for the threat that Morelli said existed, right?

She narrowed her eyes at him immediately. 'Unless he's one of them,' she thought. If that were the case however, she would easily be dead and buried long before getting to the cafe. By Taylor, no doubt. Christian didn't look like the type of man who would be found digging graves.

"I, uh..." she began, clearing her throat. "I came to work for Sammy because I needed to get away from my home. I have a skill set that comes in handy with this line of work."

Katniss hesitated as the waitress came back, all but tripping over herself to serve Christian his drink, before almost carelessly dropping Katniss' onto the table. It was like other people didn't exist when Mr. Grey was around. And as much as she loathed extreme amounts of attention, she still wasn't sure she liked being completely ignored, either. The waitress sashayed away with much hip swinging before Katniss shook her head and continued.

"I'm a hunter," she said simply, hoping it would explain the messier details.

"Recently, on a 'hunt', things did not go quite as planned," Katniss said, puckering her lips, making the faint scar on her cheek where Donnie had slashed at her visible for a moment before she straightened her expression once more. Her leg still continued to twinge here and there, even though it had long healed. "As a hunter, I am not used to being hunted and it appears that is exactly what this particular situation has become. It has me on edge. I'm not used to being on edge, Mr. Grey, so I apologize if I am not as helpful as you were hoping I would be."

Report Post Tip

He grins ever so slightly at the visible angst on Katniss' face at the way she's being ignored by the waitstaff.

"Please don't apologize, this is fascinating information indeed. You and I Miss Everdeen, have a little more in common than was once assumed. I too came to Chicago to start new. You say you're a hunter? And I a procurer, or gatherer if you will. Things seem to just fall inline for my acquisition."

Taking a sip the Sancerre, and a bite of the salad.

"This caprese is quite divine is it not?"

He finishes his glass and refills it offering to top of Katniss'.

"You're legs, you look like you're ready to run. You have nothing to worry about in here, Taylor is outside noone will bother us. Whatever when awry with your hunt wont get in here. You are a woman of many connections you know how it works, but if you would feel more safe speaking about this elsewhere we can table the conversation for now and enjoy this fine meal."

The waitress stumbles over her own feet a bit as she brings the sea bass over to the table and flushes again before sauntering away.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: 50 Shades of Paranoia
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL