Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 09:33:30
Page:  1 
The Way of the Wise Guy Started by: MichaelLaMotta on Mar 28, '13 14:42

Michael is caught walking around with a journal in his hand. The journal was old and torn. Definitely had some age to it. The look on his face was one that was caught between confused and graced.

The topic I wanted to bring up is something definitely controversial.

After reading my ancestors journals of how things were back in the old days, I have to question myself, "What has changed since then?" and "Is it better this way?". What I'm refering to is how this thing of ours has gotten softer in a sense. Everyone is out for the same thing and instead of fighting for it, they are more than likely to share. The caring lessons from Kindergarden are paying off now but at a price. Sharing is caring. The organization isn't used to such a rare gesture.

Sharing was never a strong attribute in the old days. Even small things such as attempting to make a quick easy buck on a drug deal, asking a friend of ours from another organization, often lead to fake drug prices. Or charging one another to get them. The understanding back then was why let the competition get ahead? Why let someone who might turn out to be your enemy later, someone at the other side of a piece pointed at your head, get ahead? Sharing things such as a city was even hard back then. Civil wars often broke out due to simple disagreements. Arguements over who ran the city broke out and all hell broke loose. Hell would last for hours, sometimes days before the white flag was thrown. Or in the worst circumstances, when everyone was dead.

Taking things by force was often practiced weekly, daily even. When someone wanted power or even money, they took their position by force. Killing another high respected mobster was like a daily chore, such as taking out ones trash to the side walk in the mornings. It was part of the ordinary life really it seemed like. One reading even explained that killings were done out of pure boredom. Or even "training" if you will. See how well your troops can perform in action. Wars being started due to "training" baffles me. The last war true war was 248 days ago. Boy, that was a blood bath.

The art of pickpocketing back in the old days was considered an act of war almost. It was considered as violent as shooting someone. The fact that nowadays pickpocketing is almost a sense of playing your favorite 1st grade game of tag, makes our generation look as soft as Cassi's bare ass. The other thing is why does one need permission to pickpocket? If it is an unwanted attack that I'm reading about in these diaries, why must I have permission to attempt it? Afterall I don't need your own permission to wack you, I'm just going to snatch the life out of you. It just doesn't make sense. Why has something that was once considered a violent act, now proved to be a game amongst us? Where is the line drawn?

These characteristics of the old days seem to be simply gone these days. Is this a good thing, bad thing? Why has it changed?

Report Post Tip

NYStripSteak looks down at his blade then back up to MichaelLaMotta. Once more at the blade. He resists the urge to attack him, again.

Sir, I am merely a butcher. Though I did have a bit of schooling as a child. If you look back throughout the ages of man it seems clear to me what has happened to us, civility. Modernization brings with it many great gifts and many horrible monstrosities. We have become less violent? I consider this to be a good thing. We have learned from our past. Seen, as you put it, hell leave only death behind. Why kill when we can grow?

Why fight when we can earn? Isnt that what it has always been about? Isnt that, at the core of it, what is most important? Money.

Simply put, we've found a way to increase profits while decreasing violence. Nothing seems wrong with that situation to me.

Report Post Tip

In the calm of things and in the civility of us, do ever wonder if theres going to be a storm of biblical proportions?

What you're saying is that money is the scheme of all things right? We want to be remembered for the amounts of cash we had on us right? Countdown's own street speech I think intertwines with my own. What do you want to be remembered for? And how do you go about doing it?

If all we do is earn cash and an infinite amount of bodyguards, where does that put us? And when does it stop?

Report Post Tip

I'll have agree with NYStripSteak on this one.

Money equals power, So yes money really is the scheme of things these days. With all of our investments such as: forts for HQ's, bodyguards, markmanship, Hiring one of those corrupt agents you around, and of course as you stated drug runs. So the things I justed listed are used to help prevent from being killed, kill, or earn money all these things are acheived by earning money.

You see one can become powerful with money, as for Countdown's speech he refers to making a legacy. Well correct me if i'm wrong but most people from the past and present tend to hold a postion of power. Why? because when people of power take actions, the whole world will find out and have an opinion, Now that's not to say you HAVE to be a crewleader or Godfather to make a legacy. It just tends to be that way.

Report Post Tip

Taking a final drag on his rollup and crushing it's ember with his snake skin boot the bent copper emerges from the shadow to enlighten the other side of the law

Now listen here boys and girls. The man speaks sense. We have gone to sleep somewhat. But it didn't happen recently. It's been this way for a while. But what you must understand that consequences of allowing the old way to return.

Pausing he takes out another roll up and sparks it up. Inhaling deeply he looks around wondering who he should nick to keep his boss happy.

The numbers off the boats are smaller. They need to be picked up. As such they are looked after well, perhaps too well, and they live a better life than our ancestors.

With his free hand he removes a hip flask from his inside pocket. He opens it and brings it too his lips before looking disgusted and placing it back in his pocket. He removes another from his pant pocket, drinks deeply before replacing the top and continuing

The quality of mobster walking the streets today is not of the same quality as 4 years ago. Of that I have no doubt. I should know. I had to help catch you fuckers. But there are obvious exceptions to that rule so don't get your panties in a twist.

There is a very fine line between helping someone and hindering the world. I do feel at times e should let people make mistakes so they learn from them. It's the only way the lesson can truly be learned. But times are hard for everyone, even the Gods way up high, and as long time members we must do our part for the greater good.

Pausing again his eyes lock on a light fingered little bastard dipping his hand in a Made Mans pocket. In one movement he has grabbed his hand twisted it, hard, behind his back and cuffed it to the other one.

Pick pocketing however is a nuisance. Anyone who is happy to lose $5000 is a God damn fool. It's an attack on my person. I'd be happy to see it outlawed completely. However, when in Rome..

With that he kicks the boy to the ground, takes a healthy wad from his pocket and drags him by the head down the street

Report Post Tip

Baal walks in at a fast pace, not catching eye contact with nobody. He locates his seat with his eyes and now knows where he will sit, where he will give his voice to his fellow mobsters who surround him.

Ive only been with this thing of ours for a few months, which im guessing is now where near as long as the fellow mobsters who i share this conversation with, but from what i have witnessed, and from what i have learnt from our history of our cosa nostra, could it be a possibilty that from back then, which you spoke of before, was to most people just a 'game', and now, bloodline after bloodline after bloodline, our fellow mobster have created 'friendships' with one another, created business bonds, created trust, and so nobody pops nobody over a disagreement? if something happens, a meet is set up to sort thigns out?

A PP goes down, a mafioso, even though it will be stated in his profile that he is PP unfriendly, will most likely go to his boss, who will go the the PPers boss, to discuss what the better option is? where as you stated, back in the day, shots would of gone off, no discussions held, fuck it, type of action?

As i said, i wasn't around then, and can only say what i believe happens now, compared to my own research of this thing of ours history, i would say, irl feelings play a part of our characters now, its not just a game, MR is a social network, like facebook, where bosses don't want to 'unfriend' a rival boss (shoot at), they would rather 'inbox' them, to solve things.

This is my 2 cents anyways, but im just Baal.

Report Post Tip

I think the mystique of the GodFathers has toned things down war wise. You would find it incredibly difficult to find a don who believed he wwas strong enough to make his move against the local or more aptly another cities GF. Back in the older days of which you talk a strong leader who was Boss/Cosig would have no problem believing he had the power to make a move against someone just one rank above himself. Plus ALOT of people will be waiting on that next great war, there are a hell of alot of high ranking people hoping that if they protect themselves correctly then when the dust settles they will be in a fantastic position to be gifted limited power.

If rumours are to be believed there are also Gfs ruling under the protection, paid for or otherwise of other cities GFs. This to an extent brings more than one city under the control of one GF...but then we shouldn't talk about things like that.

Baal, to you my friend I say this. There are places that talk this language 'facebook' that you talk of...whole countries devoted to this language and way of life. But in these cities we are supposed to be mobsters, within families, which should not and cannot be allowed to be affected by this 'facebook' way of life.

Report Post Tip

MagnoliaQuinn had finally found a technique to steal those purses from those, ill-infested ladies. When passing them, she'd hip check them into a garbage can. The brittle lady would tumble into the tin can of waste and when Magnolia reached down to offer a hand she snatch the purse instead of helping the woman up. On her last snatching of the day Magnolia found herself at a street corner where yet another conversation was being held. She listened carefully.

Let me just say I grew up as an only child that was was doted upon daily. The word sharing is as useless as an ashtray on a motorcycle for me. Though, I guess that was a thing of the past now that I seem to have found myself slumming with the criminals of this world. Bless Alexander's heart for bein' so patient with me on my journey of me gettin' my hands a bit dirty.

Magnolia smoothed a wrinkle in one of the white gloves she wore very often.

From what I've been hearin' from folks around here, it seems like there has always been a form of sharin'. Years ago, it was much more internal and private and now in recent times sharing is much more public.

She called the attention of the original speaker with a toss of her blond hair and a charming smile.

Mr. LaMotta have you heard what that Katniss has been talkin' 'bout? That family members are holding' onto their money when they should, or debatable, shouldn't be sharing it with their boss. That there are members that are so rich they buy a new boat when the other one gets wet. From what I took from her speech and examples is that once upon a time money was shared, it was expected to be shared with the boss and now it's not at all.

So I do believe that sharin' has always been apart of this here criminal way of life. It's just gone under the knife and changed much more than a bitty bit. Money may be the one to blame for this change in winds. As everyone seems to be findin' themselves talkin' about it like it was the subject of the pastors greatest sermon last Sunday.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Way of the Wise Guy
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL