Get Timers Now!
X

May 06 - 10:42:25
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
ratSkcoR has a problem. Started by: ratSkcoR on Apr 09, '13 21:26

I understand there is no right or wrong i have used both in my time where i find appropriate in relation to time, place and style  of other users adjusting as appropriate, my comment was only an impression as you mentioned for those new to the world. The point was to say, someone makes a great effort and then to be told, thats wrong would be heart breaking for some.

Report Post Tip

I have to agree Cpt_Tycho, the business district is the perfect place for overly elaborate dramatics. After all how long would a decent mobster last giving it glad hands on the streets.

The streets are our bread and butter, where the emphasis is on what we know and think not how we portray it.

Report Post Tip

I hate to say it but i completely agree with Countdown and Cpt_Tycho here. Yes i fully understand the little quirks we can add with the italics and gestures. Its all very nice and pleasant, but the talking in a third person throughout a message/post is truely boring. ratSkcor nailed it on the head. I dont know how the new guys would percieve this though. Would they be put off posting in the streets because they dont know in which manner to do so? As long as the streets are not filled with junk!!

Report Post Tip

I agree with points on both side here. First, as Lilac already addressed... Why the hell are we calling this something it isn't?! It is not TALKING in the third person, it is narrating!!

Maybe this all started as a way to avoid the OOC aspect of it because we can't use the word narration without going OOC, but then maybe we could say that we don't need to make so many movements or gestures or smoking or drinking or whatever, but this is not talking in the third person. It *IS* role playing.

Of course role playing can also be understood as just talking as your character and not narrating it, but narration can also be a form or role play.

But in the end, I can see the pints from both sides here. Except for those who say the opposing side is wrong, and want to say they are wrong, and emphasize they are wrong and use the word "wrong" 70 times in the same comment. Nobody is wrong, they just have different styles and some people wish things were different.

We could also find a happy medium and let anybody have their own style, and do like the guy that skipped to the meat and potatoes: you don't like the narrative, then skip to the speaking part, and whoever likes to narrate can still do so without bothering anybody.

I also agree that it can be intimidating for newcomers to think they have to present themselves as if they were in a novel, but if they see a healthy mixture of people doing both styles, we won't be censoring those who like to write and indeed narrate their actions.

Report Post Tip

Eevee watches the conversation saddened as she knows all communication she is capable of is found annoying to those who've already spoke if they're using their mind reading abilities, and considered spam by the gods if she verbalizes it. She frowns.

Eevee eevee eeee.

Report Post Tip

It is simple, really. People should write in any manner they are comfortable with. We are not here to grade them nor degrade them for it. You don't like someone's writing style, skip the post.

Report Post Tip

Yu've hit the nail on the head there.

But it has to work both ways, there shouldn't be a 'standard' to adhere to.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: ratSkcoR has a problem.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL