Get Timers Now!
X

May 06 - 21:11:51
Page:  1 
Change, Do You Fear It Or Embrace It? Started by: Keme on Apr 19, '13 02:20

Keme was sitting in a chair at the local library looking over some old newspaper articles. It was around that time of the day that many people were walking up and down the isles or sitting doing their research or just reading a good book. So you could say that the library was as packed as any library could be.

Looking up from her papers in front of her, Keme then used her chair as a stepping stair and stood up on top of the table in the library. Throwing her hands in the air and screaming at the top of her lungs, while dancing around on the table, she kept doing this until everyone in the library had walked over out of curiosity to see what was going on. This also included a few security guards who were about to make her get off the table when she suddenly stopped.

"Good, now that I have your attention I have something to say."

Keme glared at the security officers who went to grab her off the table and let her hand gun show off a bit. They backed away and let her talk.

"We all know that a library is a place of peace and quiet, right? Obviously, since these men right here are ready to make me leave due to my scene I caused. Yet, who here would of got up here and joined me in my crazy dancing and screaming? Who would of dared to make that change from being silent to being as loud as possible? Anyone?"

"This is leading me to my point behind all of this. Do you fear change or do you embrace it? If someone comes into your life with views that contradict yours, are you going to automatically shun them because you do not accept this different kind of thinking or will you be open and accepting of such a change?"

"Did you know that we are hardwired for change? Possibly, but probably not. Nearly every six months or so our body completely changes, it recreates every cell. So technically we are a whole new person compared to us six months ago."

"Look at this world around us. Go back around thirty years or so and tell someone that we would be driving around in cars, not using horses, do you think they would believe us? They would probably call us crazy and laugh!"

"Of course change is a risk, some changes are not always for the best, which is why most people are afraid of change. Yet, change is every part of our life, remove it and things become dull. If I was to say that in ten years from now you would be the same person you are now, would you be happy with that? I'm going to guess most of you wouldn't be. It requires change to get there, embrace it."

"So what about you?" Keme pointed to one of the people standing in the audience that formed around her while she still stood on the table. "Do you fear change or do you embrace it?"

Report Post Tip

It depends on the person really. Some people fear change, they like the old way of doing things. Then there are people who love change, they think that change is best for progress. I Personally think that change is a good thing in small doses. To much change can hurt, it can confuse people and the less confused people walking around the better. Even in the mafia with our strict rules that have lasted ages people still find a way to change them for the better.

Report Post Tip

Fish lights his pipe and gives it a few good puffs to get it going good, then slowly walks up to Keme to give his two scents in.

"You asked a very interesting question, Keme. In my opinion, it depends on how your bloodline was raised. That first man or woman was trained in a certain way and that training was passed on from generation to generation. Change is always a good thing but it also depends on what it is. I can change the color of my Ford Model T but not the look in my Godfathers eyes if he hates it. People do evolve but I believe we all have an inner core that dictates our way of thinking, and sometimes it's difficult to budge. Personally, I enjoy the old way of thinking but embrace a bit of modernization."

"This is my humble opinion, of course. I hope it helps."

Report Post Tip

Much like TheSosa said, it depends on the person. People have comfort zones. The majority of people don't like to step out of their comfort zones. With saying that, many people will not take change well. It will need to be forced onto them and they will drag their feet and/or kick and scream. Though, if a person opens their minds to change the dark path ahead will be much easier to travel compared to keeping change from their lives. One may cling to their comfort zone, but that only means they are making the decision to hold themselves back from greater opportunities that only change can bring. 

Report Post Tip

Change, is not to be feared. As you say, and correctly so in my opinion Keme, things are forever changing. However, it depends upon the nature of which they are changing.

Somethings are easier to change than others, for example, It is much easier to change your opinion of someone if you deem that the said person has made a sufficient effort to better themselves. There have been many cases of this throughout history on these shores we have seen certain bloodlines shunned, over and over again because of their attitudes or antics. However, the ones that continued to return and eventually adopted a more socially acceptable attitude (In our society at least) people's attitudes changed towards them and they were once more, gradually, accepted again.

On the other hand, certain things are harder to change, not necessarily out of fear, but from the regiment of routine. For example, if someone told you that committing petty crimes was harmful to your being and your chances of progressing up the proverbial ladder of this world, would everybody be able to consciously stop, all at once? I think not, many people would continue to do it, almost subconsciously as it becomes apart of their everyday routine, the bread  and butter of our world. I know this is indeed, an extreme example. However, I use it simply to put my point across.

This is a very interesting topic however and I certainly hope more will come out here to address it.

Report Post Tip

Personally, I like to embrace change. The world around us is ever changing and it's vital that we learn to adapt to and adopt new changes if we wish to gain success in our changing world. Those that are able to adapt quickly will achieve greater success, those that fail to adapt to changes will simply get left behind.

Having said that, and as others have mentioned, it does depend on the change. Some things are the way they are for very good reasons. A change isn't always a positive thing and in many cases it could lead to disastrous results. I think the saying "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" sums it up pretty well. If we have no say in the change, we must adapt and adopt or it will hurt us. If we do have a say, we must have the strength and the courage to do whatever it takes to make that change or ensure that others make it... or just as much have the strength to fight against a change that we don't believe in. In all cases, we must have the insight and the intelligence to know the difference and what, if anything, we do have control over.

If someone comes into your life with views that contradict yours, are you going to automatically shun them because you do not accept this different kind of thinking or will you be open and accepting of such a change?  

This, I have to say, I do find a little odd. A difference in opinion is just that, a difference of opinions. It isn't or doesn't have to be a 'change'. I disagree with many people on many subjective things. It hasn't caused me to change my beliefs nor has it caused them to change theirs. So I'm not sure how it could ever be described as a 'change'. 

As for being accepting of different points of view, then yes, I'd certainly hope that I never shun them and am willing to listen to all input on a discussion. This doesn't mean that I won't retort and state my own views on a topic, but I also don't ignore points coming from the other side. I won't blindly accept another's opinion and replace my own with it, but that certainly doesn't mean that I don't understand that I can learn a great deal from listening to the thoughts of someone even though I disagree with them. It's only by listening to others that we can fully understand a topic. We all have a limited view if we only look through our own eyes, so by taking in the views of others we exponentially expand our horizons.   

Report Post Tip

Embrace the change, accept it, and look forward to change to come. Change is the only reason to wake up each day. You need something new and different to look forward to, otherwise it becomes mudane and you lose interest in being apart of things.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Change, Do You Fear It Or Embrace It?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL