Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 07:11:42
Page:  1 
The Most Harmless Speeches Ever Made Started by: Artorem on May 04, '13 00:13

I've heard from plenty of my fellow mafiosi that there's a few reasons why they don't/won't contribute to a discussion in the Streets. There's not a lot of them, but some are concerned that many of the topic discussed out here in the open will draw unwanted attention to themselves, their crew, or their city. I understand the sentiment, but I feel there's a bit of an irrational fear going around. One of those fears is that you'll anger another city with your opinions, another is that you'll be ridiculed for your opinions or how you say them. I think I've established a valid argument with Consigliere NYStripSteak against the latter of these fears. As for the former, that's what I'm here to solve for you.

"There's nothing to talk about!" is the other complaint I hear, far more often than I originally expected. That's horseshit. To prove this, I'm going to provide a list of meaningful speech/discussion topics that won't step on anyone's toes unless you deliberately call out a city, crew, or mafioso:

• Corrupt Agents - They are fucking everywhere. Do you like their prevalence? They're a whopping 10 credits. Do you think they're worth the investment? You can only have two in your employ. Is that a good limit? They bring in a shit ton of money. Do you think they allow people to make more money than they should?
  • Proficiency Perks - Sometimes I can knock over a post office without taking the slightest break between jobs. I've picked three pockets in the span of 10 minutes. Think that's fair? Some people are able to ignore the hour-break we typically take after killing someone. How does this affect our world?
  • Districts and Flights - The entire scope of our world was altered. Flight times have been increased. How does this affect inter-city interactions? Maybe the layover gives you more time to spend in the business district. There's multiple Godfathers in every city. How does this alter how you live? Plus, the process of how a new district opens is very intriguing; definitely worth talking about.
  • Newspapers - This is one of the old staples of life that I truly miss. I'm certain people would LOVE to see a new periodical to make us laugh. The Streets are seriously lacking any real humorous pieces. Look into the Streets archives for old newspapers, and make your own (this option may not be available to cities who are too scared to make fun of someone).
  • Fortifications - People can now sit behind walls and barbed wire defenses. Do you think this is beneficial to our world? 
  • Business Districts - Each city has 100+ active members, Made Man or above. Yet some cities have only one or two worthwhile businesses to attend in their city. Is there a good way of making this more attractive? Is it worth making a Business District nicer? Is it the CL's responsibility to do so?

Here's how it works: when things are slowing down (and we're very safe and static, making gobs of money), it's a time where people can sit down and discuss what's wrong with our world and how we can improve it. In many cases, this happens within a city or crew, but sometimes it's worth hearing what other cities have to say.

So there you go. Take this list (which is by no means exhaustive) of ideas, questions, concepts and figure out how you feel about them. Or, come up with your own topic (I highly encourage this). Once you've got your ideas organized real nice, bring em to the Streets in your own speech. Revel in the discussion that follows. 

Report Post Tip

There's plenty to talk about, you're right. Then again, a lot of what you've brought up can be shared on Game Suggestions street, just around the corner. 

We're mafioso, we don't just sit around and discuss what's wrong with the world with everyone. Wanna do that? Join The Peace Corps and make a difference or as you said, keep it within the crew.

I don't know why you're speaking for the masses, saying we're complaining there's nothing to be spoken of. Speak for yourself, bub. There's plenty of things going on, just as uninteresting as the topics you've brought to light, nay, topics that are already in the light..just..no ones really cares to partake in.

People love drama, violence and tension. That's what the majority of this thing of ours is about, really. I'm not here to talk about what defenses your HQ or mine has, or how I feel about it. I don't care what Agent you have in your pocket or how many pockets you can pick.

Go ahead and pick at a city, at a way people are reacting to getting their pockets picked or being mugged. That'll fire up a discussion and tempers and you'll get a debate.  

Report Post Tip

Artorem,

I applaud you for your efforts. I sincerely do. Your intentions are nothing but for the best. However my area of concern is, sure you listed 6 items. One can argue that these are things that should be left to be communication elsewhere asides from our streets. However, I will not even take that viewpoint. Let us say that all of those items you have suggested are discussed in the streets today.

Excellent. So we have, 6 topics, one a day. Where does that leave us on day 7?

Yes, with a news paper, this would be a weekly (bi weekly? monthly) sense of entertainment, provided that those who are writing it have enough content to make it entertaining every week.

But your other topics... a whole 6 days. Then what? We just recycle and go back to the first item and repeat blabbing away bout it?
Sure, they'll have some repeat value, however how long before they turn into the "PP friendly and pp unfriendly" argument, or the "Your RHM is only a thug" debate. There is only so many times something can be repeated.

What we need, are actual events to discuss. Discuss a topic. Discuss an incident. Those are what people are interested in. Thing is, things of that nature are sensitive. 

I applaud you for your effort however, and I hope that you show me wrong and spearhead the revolution which brings the streets to former glory. 

Report Post Tip

Then again, a lot of what you've brought up can be shared on Game Suggestions street, just around the corner. 

Point taken. (OOC: I feel there's IC implications to every feature that's implemented. These have been completely ignored for some reason, and I was hoping someone would actually provide an RP-oriented viewpoint on some of them. This was something many of the old players were keen on. If you think a feature contradicts RP, or lessens some aspect of the game, the Streets could be used to show to the masses how bad it can be. This was a technique used by many great leaders and speakers.)

We're mafioso, we don't just sit around and discuss what's wrong with the world with everyone.

Once again, point taken. (OOC: This game was built on a forum, and if we value forum activity I don't think it's fair to call out someone for wanting to contribute to that. If you think forum activity has no value, then that's where our opinions differ, not in the fact that "we're mafiosos". Some people want to discuss. Some don't. That doesn't make us any less of a mobster.)

I don't know why you're speaking for the masses, saying we're complaining there's nothing to be spoken of. Speak for yourself, bub.

I was speaking for the individuals who I have personally contacted or who have come to me to discuss things. If you were not one of those people, then I suppose it's safe to assume you weren't included in the group I was describing. I am speaking for myself, I'm simply echoing sentiments that others have brought to me. If you didn't bring them to me, I guess I'm not talking for you am I?

People love drama, violence and tension. That's what the majority of this thing of ours is about, really. I'm not here to talk about what defenses your HQ or mine has, or how I feel about it. I don't care what Agent you have in your pocket or how many pockets you can pick.

I completely agree! But many aren't in a point of power to provide drama and violence. I also disagree that the "majority" of this world is simply about drama and violence. While it is sometimes a pleasant spectacle, I think you'll find many enjoy the simpler things in life. In my defense, I fail to see why you needed to comment on the fact that you don't care about these things. If you see no value in these discussions, ignore them (like so many do). If you think you can provide a better speech subject, do it! As a matter of fact, don't even respond here with it, just make a speech about it. Tell us about the drama, violence, and tension. 

What you'll find is that much of what fuels the "drama, tension, and violence" is information you typically want to keep to yourself or your crew. Sometimes public events stir the pot, and when they do I hope to see speech after speech about them, there's a means of talking about such things without breaking Omerta. However, in its present state, it may not be wise to commentate the tension and violence. There's a reason most of that stays behind closed doors.

Go ahead and pick at a city, at a way people are reacting to getting their pockets picked or being mugged. That'll fire up a discussion and tempers and you'll get a debate.  

I actually don't know how people react to getting their pockets picked. But if that's a topic you feel needs to be brought to the surface, by all means, go for it. 

Report Post Tip

Godfather Steak, there are a lot of events happening all around us that could be fantastic speeches. In some cases, people have died for horrible reasons or by total accident, yet nothing is said of or about them in the Streets. I'm not in a position to call out the parties responsible for such events. I can't force anyone to bring private knowledge into the public eye. But I sure as hell wish people did.

One of the things people seem to prize a lot in our world is the public bias. People don't want to be seen as the "bad guy", so they need a valid and "morally" justified reason for most of their actions. And despite the fact that everyone is aware of this, no one seems to be interested in utilizing the "public bias" for their own means. If a high-ranking member of a crime syndicate died to the hand of a high-ranking member of another crime syndicate, it would seem like big news, especially if there was hardly a reprimand for the attacker. Such information could be used to paint the attacker's crew in a bad, bad light.

But alas, this isn't a tool any of the current leaders or city heads employ, even though it's so powerful. But back to your point, I somewhat disagree that we shouldn't discuss things because we may not have things to discuss in the future. On that level, I think it would be a bit better to actually go ahead and bring our ideas to the public first, then worry about exhausting the list of speech subjects later.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Thanks for validating my initial points.

Well, as I said, speak for yourself. I sure as hell wasn't part of the Artorem club and I wasn't privy to all the topics you've so generously shared. I don't think I'd enjoy your club either. I feel its also safe to assume you're pretty much never really talking to me whenever you post a topic from now on, glad we're on the same page.

I never needed to respond to your thoughts, I decided to because you said there was an irrational fear and blah blah blah. That was more than enough to spark my own thought engine to sputter and kick up. Take my words with a grain of salt as I'm just tossing my two cents around.

When I feel there's an issue that should be brought up, I'll bring it up. Thanks for the encouragement! 

Report Post Tip

Artorem,

One thing I have noticed, those who are at the top, are seldom liked outside of their own people. 
Why is that? Plenty of reasons I believe.
I frankly believe, no matter what I say, what I do, what reason I give for anything, those who dislike me will say I'm lying, make up ulterior motives, and preach it as if it is the truth. I cannot fault them on this, because many times, they convince themselves it is the truth. When a person believes something so much that they think it's factual, there is no changing their mind on the topic.

I'm certain I've said this at other times. I do not have any concern what the general public thinks of me. My concern is to those who are loyal to me. I have had a few people who were friends with me at first, have a falling out with me and not like me for how I lead.

I have also had people who had negative impressions of me, but after some private conversations, gave me a try and realized I wasn't what they thought I was.

I am not going to use the streets to manipulate people into liking me. Those whose minds and thoughts about me are already set, will not change because of street posts. They have already made up their minds. It is those who actually reach out to me in private and have a meaningful conversation, that will then use that direct experience to base their thoughts of me. 

A perfect example of this, is that PewPew bloodline who has used the streets the last few days. What have they achieved? Other than look pathetic in public. Do I care to enlighten this person and show them how their statements are false? Not one bit. They have it grained in their head that what they speak is the truth, and are not open for a discussion. They will just blurt their fallacies. Why would I engage them in the streets with meaningful responses? Just a waste of time at that point really. Not really efficient. Instead, I'd rather speak to those who come with an open mind, curious to learn of what happened, instead of sharing their own personal thoughts and agendas. 

Report Post Tip

One thing I have noticed, those who are at the top, are seldom liked outside of their own people. 

I am from another city and family and your most definitely my brah. So I like you, bro.

I have also had people who had negative impressions of me, but after some private conversations, gave me a try and realized I wasn't what they thought I was. 

You are a teddybear, bro. They are just jelly, brah.

Report Post Tip

Newspapers - This is one of the old staples of life that I truly miss. I'm certain people would LOVE to see a new periodical to make us laugh. The Streets are seriously lacking any real humorous pieces. Look into the Streets archives for old newspapers, and make your own (this option may not be available to cities who are too scared to make fun of someone).

*sniff*  I guess I don't have a 100% approval rating.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Most Harmless Speeches Ever Made
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL