Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 06:44:25
Page:  1 
Street VIPs Started by: Dread_Pirate_Pickles on May 09, '13 15:30

Pickles walks onto the sidewalk, having learned his lesson from almost being run over multiple times from walking into the street. He opens a crate and begins to set up his official 47 Enterprises © Street Speech Soap Box ™, and then begins to wonder why he didn't just stand on the crate to begin with. Anyway . . .

"Friends, Romans (okay, not Roman, he's been gone a while), countrymen . . . and Whitey's, lend me your ear. I've come to talk to you today about being a Street VIP. What does that mean? There are a select few people who regularly show themselves on the streets whether it be to entertain, debate, tell a story, or cause a ruckus.

But, now, it seems just anyone and everyone can purchase the status of Street VIP. I think this takes all the VI out of the P! The gods have even seem to have taken an interest by cataloging those who meander into the streets according to which city they represent. But, is it truly deserved? I, myself, was anonymously given the badge of Street VIP, and I now only wear it because I my speech is being monitored by the gods for the glory of New York (after all, when in Rome . . .).

Take a good look at those who claim to be Street VIPs. How many speeches have they made? How many people have listened to them? How many times have they contributed to public debate? Being able to purchase status only cheapens things for those who have earned it. This should be bestowed upon only those who have created their place on the streets for better or worse. Those who people listen to. Those who people respond to.

What do you all think?

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I was anonymously sent the VIP status when the most prominent people were sent them. I promptly regifted it. I got three more anonymously and finally accepted this last one. A big thanks to Anonymous by the way.

Money has always talked in this thing of ours, as it does in many other places. VIP status can be easily bought at other venues as well. I believe everyone who can afford it, or is given it, can successfully wear it. I don't see it as my place to judge who a true VIP is or isn't. We are all VIP's in our own way. I could care less about who listens to who, how many speeches they have made .. etc. Someone with a VIP status could come to the streets very rarely and make one post or thread that has a great impact. Someone with a VIP status might not have posted in the streets at all to this point yet might have something significant to say at some point. Lets not discount anyone.

Report Post Tip

Eh.. I have been gifted by the gods the gift of this so called Street VIP, Do I deserve it? I do not know, you won't find me speaking in the streets all the time, just occasionally and sometimes within businesses in our cities districts.

I do not claim to be a street VIP, I'll leave that to the real speakers of the streets to represent good sir, I have not made a single street speech myself which is quite disappointing really, I contribute sometimes to the streets, not nearly as often as I'd like too though.

I like the idea of only giving VIP status to speakers within the streets, not some special currency that allows any old rift raft to claim they're some VIP in these find streets of ours. But that is just my two cents here.

Mudkip nods to Pickles and takes his tiny top hat off and goes back to his daily errands of buying beer for his rhm alcoholic and finding strong kitty litter for his SadPanda

Report Post Tip

Although I totally understand your point of it being losing the VI part of it, one thing I have noticed is that with this addition, it has made people make a bit more effort. I think those who would purchase this suit to parade on the streets, would then make an effort to be seen on the streets to show off their new status. I didn't think it would make a difference in street activity at first, but it is making a believer out of me.

Is VIP the incorrect term? Possibly, since it is available to everyone. However whatever it IS..... it has achieved what it was set out to accomplish. 

Warped, I don't mean to necessarily discount anyone, but if everyone is a VIP, then nobody is a VIP. We're all just P.

Phil, I hadn't thought about your point. And, of course, this is why I wanted the discussion.
Report Post Tip

Dread, from the thing you have just said I can see you are a open minded person and you are genuinely taking peoples opinions into account. For that sir I give you credit, it shows the true reason behind staring a debate on the streets.

Now for my view on the matter, I believe you are right in a way. Considering that being a VIP in the streets, would mean you are classed as a "Very Important Person in the streets" Being able to buy a tag like that is pretty weird. 

Although I believe it to be this way, you can consider yourself to be a VIP in the streets... But even if you hold that tag it is peoples opinions whether that is true for them or not. For example, a person that only tells stories might not be a very important person to me as I am not much of a fan of that. Yet for some people they could be a big fan and that person might be a great story teller. Basically, people have different takes on what makes a good public speaker. Tag or not, it is still based on opinion.

All I find the tag does is it helps that person stand out a little more, and show maybe they are prepared to TRY and be a good public speaker. Maybe they aren't good at it, but kudos for trying. If someone is willing to pay out to get the tag, nine times out of ten they will probably be willing to try and make themselves stand out in public and be respected as a good public speaker.

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Street VIPs
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL