Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 04:10:17
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Is it disrespectful? Started by: blink on May 19, '13 13:59

Erm, no. My family began in the "old land" and MOVED here and set up ROOTS here. My parents and grandparents were born here.. I was born here. You really have the idea in your head we all come from the same place as our parents, and their parents, and their parents, and so on? 

I have sisters and aunts that have also visited this thing of ours. We are not all the offspring of one person, there is more than one member of each generation as well. 

You have a very closed mind when it comes to things, maybe you should take into account your view isn't the only way things are said and done here. 

I was born in Philly, my mother was born in New York, and my children will be born in Chicago if I ever find a man that is strong enough to put up with my shit.

Report Post Tip

Disrespectful?  No. Human beings are very, very sentimental creatures.  The majority of connections forged by our mothers and fathers don't instantly vanish when they pass on to the other life , and as long as they're not professing their allegiance to that crew above mine, I don't have any qualms with it as long as they're aware of where they are in the present. 

In my case, my calling card lists the two other families that I had the pleasure of serving in during my time; I'd be willing to bet most people interpret that as a sign of my respect for the past and the experiences I've had in my lifetime, not as a sleight to my current situation.  Why should it be interpreted differently for others?

Report Post Tip

Well, Doc. If you think that just because a drunken bum who gave you some advice the moment you started walking around here looking for a way to make money seems to assume that you came over from the old country, we all just do. Well, first off, that man is old as hell, homeless and will probably be shot very soon courtesy of the many hitmen who prowl these Streets. Who knows? Maybe you'll be the one to do the deal.

The Old Bum who all of us meet as soon as we look for a career in the mob just ASSUMES that you're from the 'old country'. I was eager for any advice I could get, being shoved into this life all of a sudden, so I did not feel the need to correct him. I just stood there and listened to what he had to say, added that information to the way I would proceed in this life. Then I just walked on away.

Report Post Tip

Midol my point has nothing to do with where they're born it's where they're at. Your next of kin isn't allowed in our world as long as your alive. If your crew gets wiped out in a war, as so many recently did, and you die with it that means your next of kin has no personal connection to that crew. It's not like forcing your current crew to share your profile with a dead crew is that big of a deal but it's a symptom of a bigger problem that has crept it's way into our society that has been very troublesome. It's like putting the relationships you currently have with your crew on the same level as relationships your bloodline may have and that's the bigger problem.

Report Post Tip
For my self, I think that Gwen_Phuc-Josef hit the nail on the head. I fully appriaciate the remembering of your last family. I tend to think in the now, but I get it. the same goes for something like "Rest I Peace [your former CL here]"

but if the word loyal is in there, or some variation thereof, i'm worried about where your loyalties will go in time of crisis.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

On a sunny spring afternoon Mikala walked down a street daydreaming about murder and other fun hobbies. When she heard one of her favorite mottos, 'fuck it' the mobster stopped and listened to the conversation.

I don't like lines about past leaders and crews because I'm not a sentimental person when it comes to business. Like friendship, I think being sentimental clouds judgement. DocHolliday made a good point about sins of the father. People want a clean slate yet we see lines about leaders and crews their parents were associated with. If those people were important to your parents keep in touch with their next of kin. I'd rather hear from friends of my relatives than see a line about them spray painted on a brick building. Nothing says 'I love you' more than buying me a cup of coffee.

Report Post Tip

It's only normal that sons and daughters come to this world yearning the good 'ole days of mom and pop...it's all they know and the wounds are so fresh. I agree with BrickTop that they need time to grieve, and they should be given that time without having to defend themselves...up to a point that is.

These sons and daughters join a crew and eventually get to know their new leader and fellow members, and in my personal opinion, the grieving needs to be over before they are given the honorable rank of Made Man. I have nothing against remembering, but then you need to move on to something new.

Report Post Tip

Since the dawn of time we have always seen tattoos showing loyalty to old friends, comrades, coffeeshop buddies. It is part of our way of life just like shooting, committing a petty crime or dealing drugs.

How else do you think we have leaks about wars etc?

Report Post Tip

This really just simply seems like a difference in opinion, which could have been predicted from the start of this speech. "Disrespectful" isn't an absolute. What one leader or individual may find appalling may be completely irrelevant or meaningless to another. Therefore, it is more wise and less frustrating to simply encounter this discussion with that preface. Provide your opinion, provide why you think that way, contrast it with others, then move the fuck along. 

When it comes to this sort of thing, my opinion is in the grey area. There's nothing wrong with referencing where you came from or who has influenced your thinking. As a matter of fact, it may be beneficial to show that some great man or woman of history had a profound effect on how you live your life. However, if someone glorifies and touts loyalty to anyone who has been in conflict with your boss, I would consider it disrespectful even if they're dead. Basically, your boss's words are your bible. If you hold the same loyalty and respect in your mind for a past boss or a boss of your father, I would be concerned for your priorities.

But frankly, I don't think there's any "ideological difference" between crewleaders anymore. Therefore, I highly doubt anyone who touts this sort of respect or loyalty is actually a danger to your organization. But it's about... respect.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Is it disrespectful?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL