Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 03:04:55
Page:  1 
Humble Beginnings Started by: Lia-Soranno on May 28, '13 22:02

Everyone had read about the fire in the papers.  It was the biggest case of arson in Chicago in nearly ten years.  Little Italian grocery store burned to the ground by a pack of vicious mobsters.  Word was that the old man had gambling debts- but that kind of ruthlessness was warranted by more than just some little horse betting debts.  The old man and his wife were locked in the store before it was set ablaze. Their bodies were found huddled together in the walk-in fridge.  They were immigrants- just like the rest of the neighborhood- having moved to Chicago from Palermo just a few years before with nothing but $500 and their daughter, who was 12 at the time.  Lia, now 19 years old, still lived in the apartment just above the charred grocery store and sold lemons and oranges from a cart on the street below. It wasn't a life she wished on anyone, but its what she had.  Every day, she watched people go by; men in fine suits and ladies dressed so richly.  She was a street rat, but dreamed that she could make herself respectable some day.  She wanted to have a better life like her father wanted.  She wanted to do that for his memory.  

Finally, one warm afternoon, two well-dressed gentlemen strolled by her cart.  She stood and offered them an orange- the best of her bunch.  The two kind men stopped and chatted with her, enjoying the juicy fruit.  One was named Sammy and the other, Danny.  They were so kind, for men of the Mafia.  Lia feared them- realizing that any man from la Cosa Nostra could be the ones who killed her parents- but somehow not these two men.  She told them that she could work hard, sewing, cooking, cleaning- anything they asked of her.  The one named Sammy just smiled and shook his head, offering his hand to her.  Danny gave her a nod of encouragement- and it was then that Lia stepped away from her cart of fruit and into a new world- a new life.  She had a long way to go, but she was moving up.

(This tiny story has been brought to you by the RPE.  If you don't know, ask.  Have a nice day, friends.)

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $60,000 Tip
That sure was nice of those gentlemen, you got lucky your parents killers didnt come after you.
Report Post Tip

The Mad Hatter, walks down the street when he hears the young woman's tale, he takes off his Top Hat, and holds it
to his chest. He recalls his own loss of his parents and howhe felt. He looks towards Lia and nods in understanding.

I believe everything happens for a reason, which is ones destiny. May you rise from the ashes like the phoenix of your tragic youth.

The Mad Hatter puts back on his top hat and tips ittowards Lia . He turns to go down the street to take care of some errands.

Report Post Tip

Danny had been on a 2 day emotional roller coaster.  He wondered if he had done the right thing bringing taking Lia under his wing.  His family had very humble beginnings.  His grandfather was a common street thug that had a lady teach him the finer things in life.  She taught him about art and wine and how to handle himself with the upper echelons of society.  That was passed on to Danny's father and on down to Danny.  But none of them ever forgot their roots.  They were poor Irish folk in a wealthy, Italian dominated society.  They had become successful in this world of crime, but knew they could be back on the streets or 6 feet under at the drop of a hat.

Danny didn't have a lot of talent, but he worked hard.  And he could look into someone's eyes and see what they were made of too.  He looked into Lia's eyes 2 days before and saw a broken down, poor girl, that had absolutely nothing but the clothes on her back and some fruit.  But as he looked into her eyes he could tell that she had more inside of her.  She could be great in this life, but at what cost?  He knew she didn't want to become like the hoods that stole her parents lives and dreams.  But she also dreamed of greatness.  And this life was the quickest way to get there.

Danny picked Lia up at precisely 7 am, just as they had discussed the night before.  She came down from the burned building with the same dirty clothes from yesterday....but also with that twinkle in her eye.

"Where are we going?  I need to be here in case someone wants the rest of my oranges and lemons."  Lia was excited, but a little apprehensive.  She trusted Danny on faith and her gut.  He really had done nothing to this point to warrant such trust.

"Just get in the car.  I have been working on this for awhile.  I just didn't know that it was for you." 

After a short drive Danny pulled up in front of an abandoned building about 3 blocks from where Lia had grown up.  He got out of the car and went around to Lia's side.  He grabbed her hand and helped her out.  His dad was a stickler about opening the door for ladies, and Danny was the same way.

"Well, what do you think?  I've been looking for a place for awhile and this one became "available" yesterday.  It's yours to do as you wish.  I have a construction crew coming over first thing tomorrow morning to discuss it with you.  I have a farmer friend coming with a whole trailer full of produce a week from yesterday.  You just say the word and he will come back twice a week until you tell him to stop.  As you can see it is big enough to do with it what you want.  I just ask that you make the back room or one of the rooms upstairs available for an occasional poker game."

Danny paused for a moment to get Lia's reaction.  He hoped she was pleased.  More importantly, he hoped it got her mind working to see the possibilities for the building......and for her.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

"I was considerably more fortunate than yourself, madam Soranno. My parents are safe in Capizzi, Sicily, though I regret I am never to see them again for  their own protection."

Fisk smiles, the shadows of his past meaningless in the face of young Lia's loss. He merely tips his hat, grateful of the insight he has heard into one of our owns' history.

"I appreciate your words today and understand that you are more than just a faceless goomba. I am putting together plans for a small taverna. I'd be pleased if one day or paths crossed in the business distinct."

Report Post Tip

Lia heard his words, but they didn't register immediately.  She looked slowly around her at the large, clean, and modern looking building.  She'd worked with her family in the grocery business for many years- even before coming to the States.  Her father could have done so much with this kind of building.  He'd worked so hard, only to have it stripped away in one night.  But now, there was a man offering her everything she'd seen her father hope for; and at such a minuscule price. For a moment, Lia thought she must be dreaming; but, as she took a deep breath and smelled the fresh wood and the smell of new paint on the walls, she felt a rush of excitement- and that was very real.  A huge grin cracked over her face as she turned to Danny.  Without a word, she leaped into his arms and hugged him tightly, laughing.

"I cannot believe this.  You have handed me a dream, Signore Greene!

She pulled away and walked in a large circle around the floor, imagining different kinds of counters and displays, brimming with food of all kinds.  Her stomach growled just thinking of all the items she could stock, make, and sell.  She could even have a bakery in the store where she could make all the wonderful things her mother had taught her to bake.  The smile never faded as she walked back to him. 

"Thank you- gratzi...this is more than I know how to...thank you."

Report Post Tip

Danny wasn't sure about some of the words Lia was using.......Signore?........gratzi?........but he knew that he had done good.  His anxiousness turned to happiness rather quickly.  But he knew that there was much work to be done.  But that could wait.  He found an old chair in the corner and sat down for a moment.  He wanted to etch Lia's excitement into his mind to be retrieved at a later date.  He knew that he was straddling a thin line with her.  She wanted her dreams, but he wasn't completely sure she was all in for the lifestyle that she had signed up for.  He would do his best to keep her from the dark side of the life of a Mafioso.  After what seemed like many minutes he finally broke his silence.

"No need to thank me.  It's my pleasure.  The only thing better than living your own dream is helping someone else get to theirs.  So what do we need to do now?  There will be a crew of men here in less than 24 hours and they will be expecting orders from you."

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Humble Beginnings
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL