Get Timers Now!
X

May 05 - 20:53:48
Page:  1 
We Are Rebuilding Started by: Sexecutioner on Jun 05, '13 15:20
Since the war, the criminal underworld has been rebuilding. The underground economy is being re-established, new outfits are setting up, new leaders taking the helm of vacant districts. This is potentially an exciting time. A time to rebuild.

After the war, the surviving mafioso asked for our patience, as they were rebuilding. Some accepted this, while others questioned it and took an opportunity to take verbal shots at the leadership in the streets. Some mobsters spoke up in defense of the leaders, asking the cynics to give them a chance to rebuild before casting stones.

As a matter of fact, I have heard the word "rebuilding" so much I feel it's become a corporate buzzword. It serves as almost a generic answer to any question posed. I'm curious what the term "rebuilding" means to all of you, if it actually has any true meaning at all? Is it an answer you're all just willing to accept without even defining the term for yourself? Do those that give it as an answer have an idea of what it is? Because the if the answer is no, then rebuilding is really nothing more than just a buzzword.

Are we rebuilding to the same humdrum stagnancy of the mafia prior to the war? Does rebuilding mean we wait until everyone has adequate time to insanely protect themselves and train a gun to shoot through over 100 bodyguards before our next five day war? Is it even such a bad thing for things to be shook up before everyone gets to that point? Is trying to function in a crippled economy so frightening that we need to pump the mafia so full of money before things get interesting again?

Personally I think the recent establishing of New York is a step in the right direction. In the past, the filling of a city in a manner like this would be labeled an "experiment city", which has traditionally been half-assed. I applaud Cpt-Harris for clarifying the difference between a traditional experiment city and his vision for what NY should be. Leaders have been assigned their own district to build as they see fit, rather than clinging to the antiquated notion of "one city" with multiple Godfathers answering to another Godfather, thus cheapening the rank much like we saw prior to the war. Once districts become their own totally separate entities, I'd imagine we'll see more political intrigue, possibly turmoil, within cities. Alliances may be made with districts from cities halfway across the county. There's a lot of opportunity to see some really interesting changes in La Cosa Nostra. I believe that the war was necessary for these changes to be implemented. That is if things actually do change. I've alway believed that in order to be successful in this world you need to adapt to change, even if its a change you don't agree with if its out of your control. And if nothing changes, so be it. No need to adapt to anything then. I suppose time will tell, once we are done rebuilding.

If you don't respond to this, at least take the time to think about it. In the meantime, I'll be over here, rebuilding stuff.

Report Post Tip

Rebuilding, to me, is regaining a standard that was once established previously. The phrase is coined around the idea that the finished product will be a replica of what lay beforehand... but this of course is not going to be case.

Indeed, the glory of our cities will be re established, and the leadership re affirmed, and homes will be provided for the new blood. However, as after every war, ideals, policies and attitudes will be amended as the figures of authority see fit.

The war- and outcome- was a statement that what was built beforehand was inadequate. (Arguably all things great and small will eventually lead to a demise, but it is the human nature that still strives to hold on to the good aspects and replenish them, whilst discarding the bad aspects)

Therefore what will be built now, will be a reflection of what was a good aspect about the pre war structure, and an amendment of what was bad about the pre war structure.

To use the term rebuild; is to rebuild the standard of living we once had, but under new hands and leaders with their own ideals and values which can improve what we once had: But by no means does this suggest any replication of the establishment that stood beforehand. 

Report Post Tip

This is not role play, but neither is it a bad post. I've moved it to OOC.

Report Post Tip

I think you're raising a great point throughout your entire speech, but I'm going to use a quote to sum up what I'll be basing my response on:

Are we rebuilding to the same humdrum stagnancy of the mafia prior to the war? Does rebuilding mean we wait until everyone has adequate time to insanely protect themselves and train a gun to shoot through over 100 bodyguards before our next five day war?

I think the way the post-war environment was built, we'll only have a longer period of peace (so long as there's no major fuckups). Why? A quick glance around provides a very simple conclusion. Chicago is big and getting bigger. The sheer number of people in Chicago means it pumps out the most income, which will contribute to the highest number of Bodyguards. Chicago is no doubt aware of its fantastic position, and has no reason to go to war with another city when they're simply outpacing them. Chicago is ahead of the other cities and building on its lead.

The other cities don't even have a single Godfather. It would be a tough fight (even if all three banded together) to go after Chicago. It's simply illogical. Suicidal, even. So these, pretty basic, observations have ruled out just about every kind of inter-city conflict short of a monster fuck-up. And even then, the focus would be on Chicago to decide how it plays out. If someone in Chicago fucked up? No one could really stand up to them. Therefore any fuckup-based conflict would likely result in the destruction of a city other than Chicago.

Where does this leave us? Well, since Chicago is now aware that it will last quite honestly forever if it stays loyal and close to each other, that's all the incentive they need to stay loyal and close to each other. If one of the districts makes a play on another district, it would only weaken the hegemony Chicago has over the other cities. So once again, as long as there's no blatant disrespectful fuckups or a coup, Chicago will remain on top.

Quite simply, the most advantageous strategic option is for Chicago to remain a strong unit. If they want war, they could do it. But they'd have to deal with the outcry of an "unjust war". And since the other cities aren't overt threats to Chicago there's no incentive to go to war with them in the first place. So war is simply unlikely.

So now each of the cities has the same objective: rank the fuck up, make a ton of money, train up your guns, and prepare for the worst. There's no other option. Sure, everyone's trying to catch up to Chicago. But what else can they do? If they go to war with anyone, they risk putting themselves further behind Chicago.

Now, with the new distance feature getting implemented, this won't be entirely the same picture. However, that's for another time!

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: We Are Rebuilding
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL