Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 12:40:03
Page:  1 
Just a man wearing a mask. Started by: Timon on Aug 09, '13 00:32

Timon steps forward to the crowd, raising his arms, and doing his best to enjoy the rest of the summer while the sun was out.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Today, I come to the streets with a bit of news of my own and a topic that I have found interesting to some extent. It has crossed my mind, haunted me, and eventually gotten to the point I felt the need to come and discuss it with you fine people."

He cleared his throat, urging himself to continue on with no fear. Timon was a very very brave, proud, and determined individual.

"There are a lot of people that roam these streets, old and new. Some lie about who they are, others are proud and very open. We all have our reasons for maybe not letting someone know about our family line. Some enjoy the peace... Like myself. The fact that you can relax and not have people involved with your every move. You won't have to be judged for who you are, and people will be acceptable to knowing the real you and not the thought of you. Thought of you... We all know what I'm talking about there. I'm guilty of it myself, of course. It's just a basic human ability that we old hold, like it or not."

Timon lowered his hands next to him. He smiled to the crowd as he continued on.

"Let me ask you... What are some reasons you might not let someone know about your family bloodline? Even to your truest friends... Another thing I'm guilty of. My father was a man that many people had indifferent feelings for and rightfully so. Frankly, I don't blame them the least bit. I have known plenty of people in my time that have done the same, I do my best to not judge them for it as I found myself in this current situation. I understand it even more now... No pressure, no worries, no target on your back and watching your every move... For those of you who are hiding your blood, don't be ashamed. Sometimes it's just what you have to do and lets face it, it brings a sense of excitement having a clean slate and not letting your past haunt your future. When it comes to this world we live in, we have a tendency to look out for our own well being at all crossroads and speed bumps."

He let out a breath of fresh air as he put his hands in his pockets. There was no expression on Timon's face, no resistance, no fear of admitting he has been hiding his last name and who he was.

"Do you guys think it's a good thing to hide who you are? If anyone should know, who should that person be? Do you tell your crewleader? There is a lot of trust being played at all angles when it comes to this type of thing. I'm a believer that the leader will get even more respect from his peers and family holding their secrets. Family is the most important thing after all. Gaining trust and having things on a two way street is key in my eyes. It will show you the true person you're working for, and what lengths they will go to show their family they really do care about them. It's a test for both individuals. If anyone has been involved in a situation like this, I encourage you to come forward and share your experience with us. If I can find it in my heart to come forward, I believe others can also. Good or bad, I would like to hear your story. How it ended, how you played it off, how you felt about it. Did you keep it going? Or did you eventually come to the light? I'm already tired of it myself, even though I could carry it on further.

Being the son of Zero McHannon, Cory Chase, and Legend Mako are some big shoes to fill. Some respected them, others didn't. Just the way the wheels turns at times. I was just a man hiding behind my mask... And it wasn't even iron... What a rip off, right? I demand a refund."

Timon finally felt better getting that off his chest. There was a sense of relief that lifted from his shoulders and being honest with more people then just himself.

"So, please come forward and address any of the questions I have thrown out there. I would love to here your input or story. I share some of the same hatred for my father that some of you might have. Fucker named me Timon... Timon... I would ask him why, but it's a question I will never find the answer to now. Anyway, come forward! I'm thirsty to hear some answers to the questions I've asked. Very interested actually.

Hakuna Matata!"

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $1,020,666 Tip

I don't think it's a good thing or a bad thing; it is what it is, que sera, sera.

Unfortunately, it is the received wisdom that incog is a bad word and the practice of incognito is an insidious one. Frankly, I find this to be absolutely ridiculous. Have there been times when people have deliberately hidden their family history in order to carry out unacceptable actions? Naturally, but I would counter that many unacceptable actions have carried out by those who displayed their bloodline in full view.

Going incognito is nothing in itself, it's simply a vehicle. To chastise (or even to laud) someone for going incog is about as sensible as to immediately become suspicious of someone simply because they're training. It is not the means that need scrutinising, it's the ends. This is a practice I've seen first had since I stepped in as the leader of The Factory; as several other leaders have approached me saying "What if you take in people who are incog?!". My response is usually a variant along the lines of "So what if I do?"

Personally speaking, my bloodline has pulled on a cloak of obscurity numerous times. For those of us who have been around long enough, business here can become very tedious and dull. To only ever be known because of your father, or your nickname in the coffeeshops, gets tiresome. To be criticised as a hypocrite because you don't like pickpocketing but your father did; to be ostracised because you elected to work in a different city than your mother. It can all get very disheartening. Then the self doubt starts to creep in. Are you as good as you thought you were? As good as your ancestors were all those years ago? Or is success served on a plate because of what your name is? It gets to the point where the only palatable option to stick around is to take on a new name for a while and see things from a different perspective; lest you go insane from the boredom.

Report Post Tip

Timon smiles to Cantona and nod his head while he listens to her with detail.

"I love everything you said. You gave some very good reasons for people maybe wanting to go this route in this life of ours. There IS always the thought in the bad of peoples minds that might say 'this person is hiding who they are to me, they are probably up to no good'. I have to beg to differ with this and I will tell a small story to go with it. In my fathers journals he was under Godmother Innocence of L.A. My father had someone in my family that clearly didn't want to be known, and that was fine according to my father. He put his RHM on the job of trying to maybe dig up who it was over due time. The person wouldn't give off who they were, and my father was content with that. He didn't hold the man back at all, instead promoted him up the ranks and let him be an important member of the crew if he wished. The man did my father no wrong, and despite thinking he might be hiding something, he was nothing but respectful. Never asked for anything in return and always did what my dad asked of him. That member ended up telling my father who he was after his death... A very famous bloodline around these parts who had a father that was a tog dog before. He respect my father for everything he did for him.

But true, people do just to the assumption that they could be a threat down the road."

He continue to listen to Catona, and answer back.

"I am also in a situation like one you stated. My father wasn't pickpocket friendly at all. However, I am. At least for the time being. Just something I felt I wanted to do differently. Does that make me a hypocrite for not believing the same way as my dad? I surely would hope not. You also hold a valuable question... Should people take members that are incog? I know everyone will feel differently about this, but it's worth a discussion. Where do you drawn the line on what is acceptable and what isn't?"

He continues to nod his head in agreement.

"Yes, it's no secret that people are judged willingly on who they are known by. No doubt about that. People want to say that no one hold grudges, and they might not! I'm not saying everyone holds them, but there is always history. My grandfather shot a member of the Morty/Mortaine bloodline. It's a conversation that I can have with his sons still to this day and we just laugh about it now. (love you Morty). It does tend to get a little boring following in your parents footsteps at times. Stale. But this poses a question also. Is there always tendencies that a certain person might have? Is there things that will ALWAYS be expected of them no matter their intentions?"

Report Post Tip

Hai.

Report Post Tip

Timon waves to McLuvin.

"Haiiiiiiiiiiiii"

He shows the crowd a smile and nods to the man with an amazing name.

"Since you came to the street McLuvin, and I do believe that it was my father who told you what a wonderful name that was. However, you can much to this discussion due to an incident that occurred between our bloodlines not that long ago. I believe it was one from your McLuvin family tree. Your father felt he had let mine down. If I remember correctly, that next son came back from an incog level, correct? Feel free to answer why, when, and what you were thinking during the time. Did you think my father was going to hunt you down and look for you? I believe we know he wasn't, just trying to figure out how different people react to these things, and why.

You had your reasons, share them with me please? MccccccLuvvvvvvinnnnnnnnnnnnnn"

Timon reaches over and gives McLuvin a hard smack on the ass.

Report Post Tip

Rubs his rear end.

Well, first off, that felt good.

Moving on. Yes, your father, Zero_McHannon was someone a member of my blood(whose name I share) almost got killed thanks to a rash act of anger. My ancestor did feel that the relationship between both our bloodlines had become quite strained. However, the reasons for his son to come back here 'incog' were actually more than just evading some possible retribution. First off, I think we understood that your father, as is the case with most of your blood, while being quick to anger were also quite fair and that the sins of the father would not carry over to the son in your mind. I think the fact that you were one of the first people to whom my ancestor 'busted' his incog would be testament to that.

The real reason was that my ancestor just felt he needed a break. A break from running in the same circles. A break from this world as a whole, to be honest. As you know, my blood was going through some time consuming activities in the other world at that time and my ancestor felt that coming back and announcing that he was descended from a rogue wouldn't really be the best way to distance himself from this 'world'. That particular ancestor, if you remember, never did much. He just slacked around, barely getting to 25 units. However, once he busted his incog, he went on to work quite hard. 

My blood has gone incog quite a few times. Yes,most of them have been to either avoid reprisal for the wrong another member of my blood had committed or for committing certain acts which would probably reflect quite poorly on my blood as a whole but in the most recent instance, it was just to get a break.

Ok, now going onto the questions you posed in your first statement here...

What are some reasons you might not let someone know about your family bloodline? 

Think I've answered that one.

Do you guys think it's a good thing to hide who you are?

Depends. At times, members of bloodlines who would have been either killed a few days into their existence  or just treated with a LOT of animosity really don't have much of a choice to hide who they are from the world and to pretend to be someone else. Sometimes, people whose parents were upstanding members of this 'community' might hide their identity to perform certain nefarious acts. It's usually a lot of fun for the person going incog, as they have the ability to talk to someone they grew up with and have them treat you like a stranger, gives you a few kicks. 

It may or may not be a good thing. Every incog is totally different. Each one should be viewed individually.

If anyone should know, who should that person be?

In an ideal world, we would all be cold machines who need no companionship, but reality is sadly not like that. We need someone to sit down with and go 'zomg, brah. Look at that poor fuck, he doesn't know my daddy shot his daddy but he is being bff with me. muwahahahahaha' so yes, most incogs are revealed to a certain person. It is usually someone you trust explicitly. Not necessarily someone daddy used to run with, just someone who you know wouldn't rat you out and someone who you know would enjoy sitting down and having a good laugh with you about all the 'cool' things you've been doing.

Do you tell your crewleader? 

Well, again, in a ideal world, every CL would value his/her own Family above all else and carry every single secret to  their grave. Again,reality isn't really so rosy. So, it depends again. If your CL is someone who you think will keep your secret, sure go ahead and share. If you think your CL is someone who will rat you out or just kill you personally, not sharing would be in direct correspondence to your desire for survival. Yes, your CL has taken you in and trusted you with the keys to his/her HQ but you can't exactly pay their trust back if your every move is viewed with suspicion or you're forced to attend a permanent swimming meet. 

Did you keep it going? Or did you eventually come to the light?

Depends. Soz but it depends. Now if you're someone who has been living on the fringe shooting BGs in your free time, then not telling the world who you are when you hit Don is probably a good idea but if you're someone from a bloodline who the majority of the 'community' hate and you have made it big as an incog persona, then sure go shout your victory from the fucking rooftops.

I was just a man hiding behind my mask... And it wasn't even iron... What a rip off, right?

Iron masks are so.... passe. Get a rubber mask, you'll look very mexican wrestlery.....

Report Post Tip

"Ahhh yes, our fathers did have a pickle on that situation. My father was very very short tempered and people knew that for the most part. He wanted things done and he wanted them done right, strive for perfection. Was he ill about what happened and how it took place? Of course, I think any bloodline of friends would be. He understood the reasoning though, believe that. It's just something that your father felt needed to be done and so he did it. Can't fault a man for following his beliefs and heart. Never, never, fault yourself. I also understand the needing a break thing, we have all experienced it at one point or another and so have our kind before us.

I have always wondered what would make someone go into hiding just because they felt that there was someone out there who would make sure their next to kin died. That.... baffles me. At least it did, until my father wrote about being in that situation. The whispers behind his back that he was behind every wrong doing and they would do anything to pin what they like on him... Even tried to convince my fathers Godfather, who had the upmost respect for my father, to kill him with no real evidence that he was behind anything of the sort. These, I can see, could be reasons to go into hiding. Just so that you can get a fair shake at things. My father wasn't even bitter with those that killed my grandfather, he just wanted a respectful life for himself in that world. One that his Godfather gave him, and insured him that they would have to go through himself to get to Zero. Now, that ladies and gentlemen, is respect at both ends at its finest.

One thing my kin has always respect from yours McLuvin? You don't care to share your mind like you just showed."

It may or may not be a good thing. Every incog is totally different. Each one should be viewed individually.

"I also agree with this statement... Like my father claimed in his journals, he held a famous bloodline of these parts and didn't even know whom it was until their dying day. He came forward, let himself be know, and told my father that he respected him and everything he did for him. That man was out to cause no harm to anyone... He just wanted to live a peaceful like without people whispering about which family he might be in. I respect that, and I amend it. 

However, there are a few out there just looking to cause problems and stir the pot... We have seem some examples of that recently, sadly. Not the way I think things should be done, but hey... Everyone has their right to live their life how they see fit here. A beautiful thing, yet a curse. All and all though, we are judged a bit from our past. How we've acted, how hard we've worked, how well we're liked. It is a popularity contest in a way. If I gave you a notebook and pen, you could certainly write down 40 people you would take into your crew if you had ANY PICK and justify a reasoning. I know I could anyway. Those my kin has trusted most, owe favors to, and just want to get to know."

Yes, you believe you should tell your CL. You don't have to, but the option is always there for you to be open and figure out if it works both ways. If you expect them to keep your identity just for you fuck them over... That will most likely not fly. People don't like being made look bad when they give you a chance and recommend your name. They expect you to hold each other to the same responsibility. Fair play."

Depends. Soz but it depends. Now if you're someone who has been living on the fringe shooting BGs in your free time, then not telling the world who you are when you hit Don is probably a good idea but if you're someone from a bloodline who the majority of the 'community' hate and you have made it big as an incog persona, then sure go shout your victory from the fucking rooftops.

"AHA! This reminds me of another topic. Thank you, McLuvin. Lets say someone has been doing the wrong things the entire ride of the way. BG wacking, might get away with an actual murder itself, or anything of the sort really. Lets say they do work their way up and decide to go straight from the even more crooked way of this world. Do we forgive them and let them have a chance to get their feet set? Whether they go caught doing it or not?"

Report Post Tip

Yep, my blood too remembers the rumors that were circulating back then, Timon. Quite unreasonable and not really based on anything more legitimate than a unreasonable and blind fear of someone with a fuckton of obvious talent, in my opinion. Well, you already know my opinion on that matter, so moving on.

Yes, there are always people who want to stir the pot. People who revel in the anger their actions cause. People who do it for the 'lulz'. Those people are the reason as to why going 'incog' has become so eeeeevol in most minds. However, whether you love them or hate them, you cannot deny the fact that they perform a role in this world of our. Entertainment. Of course, provided you aren't the one looking down the barrel of a gun.

We are judged by what our blood has done. I remember mine being judged by a few people after that little fiasco. As for being able to name 40 people to take into my crew, if I ever had one.... well I don't think I can do that but I could name 40 people I'd love to pwn( Queen_Frostine being all 40). Anyway, I don't think that is a wrong practice, per se, as most people seem to be so fond of claiming. Most members of each and every bloodline share quite a few vital characteristics and I don't see anything wrong in making an assumption based on someone's parentage.

"AHA! This reminds me of another topic. Thank you, McLuvin. Lets say someone has been doing the wrong things the entire ride of the way. BG wacking, might get away with an actual murder itself, or anything of the sort really. Lets say they do work their way up and decide to go straight from the even more crooked way of this world. Do we forgive them and let them have a chance to get their feet set? Whether they go caught doing it or not?"

Well, something about this world that strikes a chord with me is an oft repeated motto, 'The action is yours, the reaction is not'. If a certain person has been going down the illegal side of life, well the retribution should suit the crimes, however, if it is different members of a bloodline, then it is a totally different story. I am not going to shoot you cuz your daddy was BG stealthing.

Report Post Tip

Very interesting indeed, Timon.

Although you make some valid and interesting points I feel like you are missing something that has a huge impact on any person before they hide their bloodline from others and that is... reasons.

There are the usual 'incog's' we have amongst us that are hiding for sinister reasons either from their parent's dealings or they have evil intentions themselves.

Then there are the truly 'incognito' ones who tell nobody. For a lot of these bloodlines, it is simply a case of wanting to be left alone. They are tired of the attention their bloodline attracts and are hoping for a fresh start to the mob life.

Then there are those bloodlines who wish to remain anonymous to the general population simply to gauge reactions of the same views seemingly coming from a totally different lineage. The core of this group have told the people who need to know, usually their own boss and if they have a Godfather, them too.

There are of course other reasons for mobsters wishing to remain anonymous but I feel most of them fall into one of these categories.

Personally, I fall into the last category. My boss (Subtle) knew where my bloodline came from, as did our Godfather (ChaosSpike) and one of the upper structure of the 'power' family in Chicago (Cpt-Harris). As time wore on, more people had to be told but I rarely went out and told anyone straight. They were usually members of the family who I had conversed with regularly or I had grown to respect. Others were people that were deemed people who 'needed to know'.

Some still don't know and I'd prefer it to stay that way. Some think they know (and some are obviously correct), but the majority are not. There have been 4 different bloodlines that I have regularly been named as, one of them even came to me the other night in the coffeeshops and we had a good old chuckle about it. I prefer to use a total ignorance standpoint when people start asking questions. I'll either carry on the conversation without answering the question or just not reply at all. =)

Then... my favourite people, the ones who don't care and still converse with me regularly <3

I am curious however... why do you think some do not respect your bloodline? From the tales my ancestors told me your lineage has been nothing but loyal to the city they served. I think you're mixing up respect for you and people liking you in general. I've yet to encounter someone who has had a bad word to say of you and our bloodlines have crossed numerous times over the course of time... some our blood fought against each other, some were with each other. Each time your family has carried themselves with the utmost respect. No whining, bitching and crying. Just getting on with the job of trying to protect your city and its allies.

Bearing that in mind, I still understand that you'd want to be out of the limelight consider how much your ancestors have been in it. Sometimes, it's nice to take a step back and take in everything.

Report Post Tip

"I must say, both of you came up with some great examples and the reasons behind them. McLuvin! Entertainment is a key factor to this world whether some people believe it or not. Damn straight. When people start getting bored, they might not be seen as much and no one wants that to happen, especially to your own family. There is only so much you can do to keep your family entertained with activities and competitions. They need aspects of other things and are thirsty for them. Not everyone, but there are those who starve for it."

Well, something about this world that strikes a chord with me is an oft repeated motto, 'The action is yours, the reaction is not'. If a certain person has been going down the illegal side of life, well the retribution should suit the crimes, however, if it is different members of a bloodline, then it is a totally different story. I am not going to shoot you cuz your daddy was BG stealthing.

"I'm sorry, McLuvin. I think I may have confused you for what I was asking here... Lets say there is a member of our community who is currently BG wacking and getting away with it. Even better, what if they get caught and let slide. Found a way to compromise everything with those effected and all parties come to a level agreement. What if that person who did those things, managed to get away from them, and become an important member of society? It wasn't their father, but themselves. Should they be given the chance to continue to prove they are doing things the right way now? Or should they be judged due to their earlier actions?"

Timon turns his attention to Orithyia.

"You make some very interesting points Don Orithyia. I also liked how you broke down the types of incog and the best reason to why they are probably doing things that way. They are all very accurate in my book. I have also been under the wanting to be left alone category. Me and a friend joke around all the time about that sort of thing. Once people find out the bloodline of your relatives, the messages start spamming in. It makes me laugh because it's also so very true. A fresh start is much more relaxing then what people would think it is. Especially if that's all you want to do is just do things fresh. Not every father is like their son and so on.

I'm also glad to see you can find comfort in doing it the way you have been. You should be able to mind your own without having a stick poked at you every step of the way. I respect that and I can see why you would want to live that way. I applaud you for it.

Yes, I know my father wished everyone thought like we did Orithyia. My bloodline goes with their heart. Some felt my father, Zero, should have stayed loyal to his long time bloodline friends over the respect of his Godfather. I would be a liar to say it didn't cross my fathers mind in his journals. They expected my father to join on their side, assumption. My father weighed his options, talked to those closest with him in his crew, and made his decision from that. He felt he owed it to his Godfather to fight and defend at all costs, even if he didn't like some of the allies he was fighting with. Even that smallest call, has had its own judgement on the the eyes of others. Easily noticed through some of the messages he was receiving at the time and after. But then again, that's why we all have those closest to us... They understood and would have bent over backwards on whatever decision he made. At the time though, there were people who thought he held a grudge from past events, which wasn't true. Or I don't think so. He just wanted a fair shake at things and tried to prove he wanted to help his city and wasn't just out for revenge. Luckily, he had a GF that wouldn't let that happen until he had evidence. There are also other things, of course, that come with this. Maybe take away from a coffee shop argument or two, but those things happen. My first father on these shores definitely had an interesting story! That's for another day though.

But, some don't think the same I do and I respect that also. I can see their argument even I might not agree with it myself.

I honestly just thought this would be a good discussion for the streets and fit the current situation I was in with the whole incog thing. We see it happen all the time but I didn't feel it had ever been talked about openly before. What would be a better opportunity then now? And yes, you couldn't be more correct. It was nice to enjoy things from a different perspective then my ancestors. One that, I must admit, was actually enjoyable and interesting. It was nice to have a breather and look at things in someone else shoes."

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Just a man wearing a mask.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL