Get Timers Now!
X

May 21 - 07:34:31
Page:  1 
A ridiculous thought? Started by: Orithyia on Aug 18, '13 14:16

I'm stood here in the middle of the streets, just watching people pass me by, eavesdropping on different conversations without actually joining in myself and a strange thought has occurred to me...

Would it ever be possible for a Godfather or acting Godfather to authorise a new family into their respective district that WAS NOT under their own command?

Bear with me here as I realise this sounds oh so ridiculous first hand. Let's look a bit further into the subject.

Once upon a time long ago, when a few of our ancestors walked our current chosen paths themselves, there was a HUGE period of time where acting Godfather's (nobody ever made Godfather then) regularly chose to auth someone that wasn't from their family. I'm sure various people could check through their ancestors journals and confirm this was the case, maybe even a few of their ancestors were authed this way.

There was more inter-crew/inter-city interaction back then compared to now, so everything wasn't so inter-twined like we currently have with cities and districts. I think the best metaphor I can think of is that nowadays we are most definitely geared towards the 'pack mentality', where the vast majority of a district or city sticks together. Of course we have recent examples where this has spilled over and things havent quite been district to district or city to city like the last big war, where some people didnt back their city or district.

But as soon as that war ended, the pack mentality started returning and we are largely back to city to city and district to district, with a few exceptions.

So, I guess one question you might ask is WHY a Godfather would choose to auth someone from outside their district/city?

Well, I don't know exactly. I couldn't give you a definitive answer. However, maybe they were just simply... impressed enough by the way a mobster carried themselves and would ENJOY working with someone like that. Maybe they were simply so unimpressed with their own members so much so that to give them a kick up the arse they auth someone from 'outside the circle' in the hope that it would inspire someone from their own.

Granted it could demoralise the district, but if you're THAT sure that someone is a gem in the making would it be acceptable to do it in this day and age?

I ask this because as I've been conversing with more people as of late and have come to greatly respect some mobsters we have here, although they are not from my 'circle' and I'd love to see them be given the chance to lead a family, so I pondered to myself that if I was an esteemed Godfather, would I have the 'cajones' to be the one to do this?  I'm not sure I would be able to do it myself if I was in the position to auth people given the current emphasis that is put on family and districts/cities. But then again, I feel I don't have any major problems inside my own family/district at the moment that would make me resort to such measures. Things can obviously change over time, but (if i could auth) right now... probably not.

Report Post Tip

I'm not sure if many would pick someone outside their city or district to auth,  I guess if there is no better option I don't see why you shouldn't look ouside the box for someone to auth.  I think they would have to go through the proper channels before it was done so no ones feet gets stepped on.

I'm not sure if that answers your question but thats the best answer I could think of.

Report Post Tip

Good morning Mister Orithyia. I hope yours is going as well as mine is. 

So the question you're asking, "Would it ever be possible for a Godfather or acting Godfather to authorize a new family into their respective district that WAS NOT under their own command?" is definitely one to fathom. You are asking something that is 100% based on respect and trust. Respect is easy to understand but the trust here is what binds this answer for you. Just because you're authing someone and someone who's not even under you directly, trust must be met or else hope is lost in your question.

If I was an acting Godfather, would I auth someone that wasn't under me directly? More than likely no.

I feel that authing someone who isn't already in your crew or your district even, is a morale killer. Other people underneath you will always want the chance at the helm. And if they see someone else getting the chance from else where, their allegiance is going to be questionable at best. Its just a natural response from any mafioso around these parts. 

Since this topic is up right now, do you mind sharing who has done this in the past? My journals are torn and not as informative with the pages being broken down from wear and tear. 

Report Post Tip

According to my research, there was a time where in order to be authed, it was recommended that all the current leaders were in agreement that the person should set up in a particular city. That was to ensure that new leader's longevity, because it would had been too easy to pick a fight with them and go to war over it. So even though the nomination would come from the potential leader's current family, I would think it could had came from any family. I think I read something about how a leader allowed someone not from the family to set up alongside them once, but it could have been my mind playing tricks on me. So let's not focus on that.

I don't think it's so ridiculous - talent is talent, no matter where you were brought up. Maybe the person cannot be authed in their home city because there is no room. Should that person's potential stagnate because of such limitations? However, what would make a person stand out so much that they absolutely NEED to set up somewhere...anywhere?

Demoralizing the district...hmm. I believe that if that person was so amazing, anyone with an open mind could see that. Those who are secure in their abilities would be happy to have such an addition to the district. Those who who aren't, would be taken aback. But then I suspect these same people would still be upset if someone within the family was chosen over them for auth. Why? Because it was not them who was chosen.

Report Post Tip

I must admit this would be a smack in the face to the many who have put a godfather in his place, especially if is someone who has helped in a war to secure the gf's title and help guard and assist the family security.  However, all too ofter we see hands moving crews the same way to help someone set up; so nothing would surprise me that way especially if is a known bloodline to them.(which intertwines with other conversations on street corners).

Would i do it personally, doubtful. i wouldn't even want to give a hand to someone outside my district if i was to make leader that way.  My simple belief is if someone is willing to turn their back on the district/city which has built them up; how much loyalty will they have to me if a better opportunity occurs?

Report Post Tip

I do remember that time Blaise. My father's journals may not have been so useless after all.

Like you said, talent is talent but not everyone is going to see it that way. I remember a specific leader back in Detroit before the epic war of masses. It was LilacDelaney. My father was always so impressed with her even though he never worked for the woman. He always talked very highly of her. Talent like that along with the respect she had, maybe the younger minds of this world would understand why she was moved and then authed over them.

A city being full shouldn't be an issue now. I mean look at the very city you represent and work for. They have so many leaders and crews over there, anyone should be able to set up. 

And lastly, I stand by what I said about jealousy over the person who was picked over someone else. You're right about it happening even though the authee is in your city/district, but its going to be even more so if the person that's getting authed is from another city. It may have happened in the past, but these days it will never happen without someone getting the short end of the stick, and using that short end and putting it in your eye socket. 

Report Post Tip

In regard to Blaise, i think is easy to overlook someone and often hard to decide a captain down the line as you know.  I know in many cases an incompetent has been set up just as a post war surviving rank, some of these who are still trying to learn the game, let alone leadership are put in place knowing can be disposed of it needed at a later date.

There is also truth in the idea of people within a family being unhappy even if not gaining a position within the family like Vinco in his speech and his thoughts within his own family before his death.  The truth is we can give endless people crews as MikeHunt mentions, but although it could be great with limiting HQ space, to give people an opportunity to learn the joys and woes of leadership(plus bg thereselvesd up easier); there can of course be problems if a person feels they are limited in what they are able to do or how fast they can grow and the increased likelihood of conflict down the line due to dissatisfaction and lack of growth.  We can have dissent within then, from leaders wanting to gain members, and increased paranoia outside due to the masses of crews just waiting to snatch members and the thought of a city dissapearing to move and grow some of these crews.

The careful thing as well with "I mean look at the very city you represent and work for. They have so many leaders and crews over there, anyone should be able to set up. "

is the worry of what can happen if the wrong person sets up and costs his own and 39 other members lives without the lives he takes in the process or pr damage to a city?

Report Post Tip

I was just referring to the fact that room isn't an issue when authing someone from another city because their own city is full. An idea that Blaise brought up.

Report Post Tip

yeah, with so many districts crewed by more than the cities of old now. is a daunting prospect

Report Post Tip

I would like to think, that every mafioso was loyal to their CL/ GF to the death. However i realize this is not true. Being from DT (CH at heart), if someone from NY / PH asked me to set up over there, under their command, would I? Hell no! But if i was still under the leadership of Subtle or ChaosSpike, would I? Perhaps. Allowing me to spread our families over more than one shore sure would be nice, but at the same time rather confusing. All these new mobsters that join us, explaining to them that we live in NY but we fight for DT? what happens during a war? Im sure some of us would loose lives due to accidental friendly fire. There was also be rumors, there always is, someone would say you arent loyal or planning domination on your own... Things could turn sour quickly.

Anyway, If you had a family why would you want to let some other city move in to your shores? This is beyond me, they may not be "enemies" but why would you willingly let some other city move in on your home turf? To me that makes no sense. I see may people in other cities that impress me, they have good skills but that does not mean i would let them come here and set up, unless they were under my full leadership, and even then how could i be 100% sure? If they can change leaders so quickly then there's already doubt in my mind about their true loyalty.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A ridiculous thought?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL