Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 00:35:29
Page:  1 
The Principle of This Thing of Ours Started by: Saul on Aug 18, '13 14:33

A flood of mixed emotions seemed to pour out of Saul as he finished reading the last of his father, Don Dalton's journals. The journal took flight as it left Saul's hand, coming to rest on the floor close to the window on the other side of the room. Its lay the open, just under the windowsill, as the first beams of light broke through the darkness of the night before.

He was angry, which was to be expected, but he was disappointed, disgusted, absolutely full of rage in the way his father had died. He could see the journal still sat open, where he had thrown it, and sunbeams lit up the pages where it had opened. He turned away quickly, tears overwhelming him again, the frustration and pent up rage accentuating this gnawing hurt in the pit of his stomach.

His fist balled up at his side, till the knuckles were pure white. He looked down through tear filled eyes and tried to loosen the fist. His hand shook, and a tear fell slowly, making contact with the hand he so desperately tried to steady. These feelings finally reached the bursting point, as he turned to the wall and mercilessly pummeled it into splinters.

Finally stopping after a few seconds, Saul's hand pulsed and throbbed with pain. The whole of his anger and frustration had been unleashed in a few tiny moments of release. His hand was bloody, but the pain didn't bother him. He just wanted to understand.

Saul turned his vision back toward the window, the beams of light hitting that open journal like a sign from god. Lowering himself slowly to his knees, he crawled, using his good hand until he reached the window, propping himself with his back against the wall just beside it. He quickly ripped off the sleeve of his dress shirt, wrapping his injured hand, attempting to stop the flow of blood, before turning his gaze onto the open journal once again.

His father had principles. He lived and died by them. His tenacious work ethic defined him. But he was misunderstood, and the whole story was never told. The story leading up to his death, and why he felt he was ready to die for the 'principle of the thing'.

Why couldn't you have just sucked it up, dad?!!? Waited a little longer....

Saul launched the back of his head into the wall near the window frame so hard that the glass in the window shattered. He could barely see now, with tears streaming down his face. He attempted to clear some tears away into the piece of shirt sleeve that was wrapped around his bloody right hand, while reaching for his father's last journal with his left.

Everything you worked so fucking hard for...and you gave it all up...because you demanded respect.

Saul's left hand clutched the journal and brought it towards his heart. He was just as tenacious as his father, maybe even more so now, and he could only wonder if he would have made the same decision if placed in the same circumstances.

WERE YOUR PRECIOUS FUCKING PRINCIPALS WORTH IT DAD???

That sentence echoed through the room, through the building, through the alleyway outside....

through the streets....

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

Saul had finally calmed himself down some, and decided to get some air, absentmindedly visiting some places his father had been known to frequent. One such spot was a place where many of the mobsters would go to start discussions, or vent, or tell stories in the streets. Saul pondered the idea of speaking to this crowd, not that he knew them all that well, but that he couldn't just stay silent.

He worked up the courage and stepped forward, to speak his mind, and hopefully clear his head of some cobwebs, concerning his father's death.

I do not plan to air my fathers laundry here, or bitch about the reason he was killed. It is done, and I have to move on. There are some things that I learned from him, and about him though, which I plan to adopt in my own life.

If you are expecting a rant, bashing the people that had a hand in my fathers death, I am sorry to disappoint. If anything I will use his death, and what he died for, to fuel my desire to become better than he was. He didn't get to accomplish his dreams for South Philly, but I will be damned if I don't throw myself into the work he started.

My head is clear, and I will move on without grudge or prejudice. My father didn't get to thank those that he had worked with, since he was taken so suddenly, but I would like to speak for him now, after reading his final journals.

Gohan. My father and you had some good talks, and some heated ones as well. He appreciated the chances you gave him, and tried to prove his loyalty by taking up the slack wherever he was needed. This in turn gave him even more opportunities, and expanded his social circles. He worked tirelessly for you, and know I have some pretty oversized shoes to fill.

Jack_Carter. My father filled in for your Right Hand after his unfortunate demise. He learned a lot from that experience, and treasured your friendship. (*fist bump*)

Cristo. My father used to tell me amazing stories of adventures the two of you had together. He was very fond of you, and I am sure he would want you to know that.

Anokata. My father recruited you while he was in Jack_Carter's crew, then once he got his own crew, spoke to Jack and arranged with compensation, to have you come work with him. He thought you had a ton of potential, and would go far in this thing of ours.

Siobhan. My father would speak of you often, saying that you reminded him of himself. You had the same kind of work ethic, and he adored and respected you.

Bianca. My father's eyes would light up any time he spoke of you. He wanted to help you make Philly strong, and expand. He was so proud to be a part of your city.

I would absolutely love to mention all those that touched the life of my father, but the list would be too long. As much as I did not like the events and details surrounding my fathers death, ranting in the street would not bring him back. I hope he left a good impression on a few of you at least.

To my father, Don Dalton of The Roadhouse Coolers. May he rest in peace...

Report Post Tip

Good eulogy Saul and I am truly sorry how both our parents lives ended best of luck mate see you when you're a don again :) 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Principle of This Thing of Ours
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL