Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 30 - 01:47:02
Page:  1 
Thoughts and Words Started by: Faceman- on Aug 30, '13 07:48

Faceman- was having an afternoon stroll down to the docks to enjoy the smell of opportunity and fresh air in Detroit when one of his favourite pastimes of creating scenarios to live through in his head and determine the outcomes by living through these scenarios in ihis imagination. However his most reason one he thought he would like to share with his friends on;

How much do people actually think before they go ahead and say whatever comes out of their mouths? I mean you can hear a lot of people immediately respond to any question or statement put before them without hesitation and then regret the consequences immediately afterwards because they didn't even think what they were going to say.

The ironic thing here is how much thought have i put into this? i'd honestly say not a lot, but in my mind what can go wrong with a speech like this? 

Anyway i digress, throughout history i am sure you can find examples of empires and hierarchy collapsing because of one short sentence because they acted on instinct, and i think then that can be applied to other things, for example a thug killed your friend, you act on impulse and kill that no good for nothing rat, but if you take a step back and think about it wouldn't it be better if you drove him to the edge totrturing his mind? just an example but the idea is still there I think

So i guess what i am saying is does thinking about what you say or do before you do it change things dramatically for you? or is what i'm saying complete rubbish? 
However i do maintain at least acting on instinct can you get deep in the shitter.

Report Post Tip

I think it all comes down to a person's character, not so much the thought process added on before an action. 

There are people who think "less" before they speak or do something, but there are some that are better at this than others. The bulk of what is said on here is garbage, and that's part of the reason that some people slip. Some people forget that their words have meaning behind them. Sometimes their words have a heavy meaning behind them, and they don't even realize it.

People don't always think, and they offend others. People also sometimes just kill, and don't think about better ways to punish someone. However, I am not one who really likes the practice of torture as you referred to. 

Regret isn't something that we can really afford in this world. If we regret something, most times it's already too late, and we're either dead or we've done irreparable damage to another person that will haunt us.

It's all about making the call, when the moment comes, and that is usually based purely on instinct and one other factor, experience. 

Report Post Tip

From the experience handed down to me by my relatively short line, I'd say that in some cases, this is a matter of growth.

What I mean by that is, the actions of one mobster, whether eventually considered a mistake or not, won't necessarily be repeated by their son, daughter or grandchildren because that bloodline has learned from the experience (or at least, they should). I'd say that most are guilty of throwing something out there that they later regretted due to the outcome; the key is in whether they take something positive from that to move forward with.

The more your bloodline spend time around these parts, the more they come to know the dynamics of our community and thus, they learn how, when and where to conduct themselves in certain ways. The catch is that the dynamics are always changing, at least on some small level, i.e. you may have established yourself as someone who spoke eloquently and freely under one leadership, because you were known to those individuals, but fast forward a little to that point in time when a new leadership reigns and your son or daughter will find themselves in an entirely different situation, having to once again work gradually to earn that esteem. It is at this stage, I feel, that some mobsters are more likely to tread carefully and consider their words before pouring them out onto the Streets for general consumption.

As DeadlySpikeS mentioned, sometimes the call comes down to either instinct or experience. For those starting out, all they have is instinct and yes, that can absolutely land you deep in the shithouse if you're not careful. Still, that in itself gains you experience and with greater experience comes sharper instinct. You can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs and likewise, you can't expect to learn much within our world if you don't mess up a few times.

I think what really matters is whether you're willing to carry those mistakes with you gracefully, owning them as part of your own journey and knowing what they taught you. I have read about some mobsters with shady pasts and several skeletons in their closets being housed by my bloodline and ultimately proving in the end that they had evolved, much the same as I have read about the errors of my own forefathers and fully intend to take those errors with me so that I don't fall prey to them. At the end of the day, when those mistakes happen here, in public, you don't have the luxury of denying them anyway.

Report Post Tip

I think it's a good practice to choose your words carefully. I don't think you should ever let a situation or a person control what you say, if it was not your intent to say it. It's a weakness, and people will exploit it in order to make you look weak.

Also, people shouldn't say things about people if they are not prepared to say them to that person's face. Many times I have seen person A talk about person B, but when person B confronts person A, that person either lies or gets flustered that what he/she said got back to them. If people in this situation had thought about what they really wanted to say, they would be confident to stand behind the words that were said.

Sometimes, no matter how much we think about what we want to say, we have to accept that others will react strongly to it. There are some people who can't take constructive criticism well. A lot of people don't know how to give criticism without sounding condescending or downright rude, and there are even fewer people who can keep calm when on the receiving end of it.

Taking physical action against someone in the heat of the moment can be dangerous. Again, people can take advantage of that and manipulate someone of that temperament to do things that they would not normally have done. Or, a person can kill someone else and have dire consequences.

Report Post Tip

I may be the minority in this, but I believe acting and speaking on instinct should happen more often. We have a luxury in this world of being able to take our time when we speak, and while that may be the smarter way to go, I think acting on instinct and intuition is better. Why, you ask? Well its simple psychology. That gut feeling you have when you hear gun shots... that's instinct kicking in to high gear telling you to haul ass in the other direction. Or maybe it's telling you to towards it and fight. If we just stood there and thought about it... well then nothing would get done. 

I agree completely that thinking about your words is a much, much smarter way to go about living. It protects you and possibly your entire family. But it just seems so dull and lacks that spark that is created when someone says something they should, but said what they meant to say.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Thoughts and Words
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL