Get Timers Now!
X

May 06 - 11:32:35
Page:  1 
Not the first time, won't be the last. Started by: Orithyia on Aug 31, '13 21:21

The vast majority of us have been here for a while and know about the admins' uhhh... 'checkered past' let's say.

We have had instances where admins have cheated for others.

We have had instances where admins cheated for themselves.

We have had many, many interferences in between.

Squishy has publicly admitted to a lot of these on IRC before, so it's not like i'm making this shit up.

This instance wasn't the worst of scenario's we've had down the years of .org/MR by a long way, however I have finally come to realise that it's just not possible for Squishy to not become 'involved' in the game. I can see why... it's effectively his baby. Sure, there are different owners now and have been in the past, but we all know who's been there pushing the game along for the vast majority of time we've been connected to this world.... it was Izzy.

But this creates a problem, he can't take a step back and leave the game to play out. When he sees something wrong in his eyes, it has to be 'fixed' at any cost.

I am therefore removing myself from the circus... I wish no ill will on the game, it's owners, admins or users. I sincerely hope you flourish because this world and a few of it's people will always have a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, I just know that this wont be the last time the admins 'step in'.

It's not this incident that has made me react this way, it's the constant interferences down the years and the many more that I expect to come in the future

As soon as Subtle sets up someone in my place, I shall retire.

Heartbreaking. </3

=(

Report Post Tip

To alleviate any confusion Squishy = Izzy = IzzyCreamcheese

Report Post Tip

NOOOOOOOOO ORRRRRRYYYTHIIIAAAAAAA

Report Post Tip

YOU BASTARDS, YOU MADE HIM RETIRE!

Report Post Tip

Orithyia :(

I'm not sure how to feel about this.. You brought me onto Mafia in January 2012.. Its coming up on my second year and now you're leaving again :/

Its truly heart breaking, the one who taught me and brought me here, the reason I'm even here, leaving for good.

I'll miss you Richard <3

Report Post Tip

The vast majority of us have been here for a while and know about the admins' uhhh... 'checkered past' let's say.

We have had instances where admins have cheated for others.

We have had instances where admins cheated for themselves.

We have had many, many interferences in between.

Squishy has publicly admitted to a lot of these on IRC before, so it's not like i'm making this shit up.

Yep you are right.  There has been times in the past where volunteer admins put their own wants and needs above the game, and have been fired for it.  Each and every time we had an issue, we learned from it, and put in measures to ensure it doesn't happen again.  I have always had a problem with seeing the good in people, and sometimes being naive on trust.  I love how you bring up two examples on IRC earlier, but leave out the details so people can take away the wrong message to further your agenda.  Yes, I had two people killed, on a previous game, 10 years ago.  Two people who fell too deep into the game and were neglecting their personal life too far.  The game can be a little too addicting sometimes, and when they get to a point where the health and well being of their family around them is at stake, I will step in and remove them from the game.  I did it before, I will do it again.  This game is not worth losing your life/health/family/sanity over.

I would hope that if I ever became addicted to something to where its *greatly* affecting my life and my family, I hope someone else steps in on my behalf to save me from myself too.

however I have finally come to realise that it's just not possible for Squishy to not become 'involved' in the game.

Yep, you are right again.  My job is to focus on the needs and wants of the userbase.  Sometimes it means course correction in the game.  My job is not to cater to the crewleaders, or the 1%, my job is to keep the best interest for the userbase - in its entirety, from the lowest thug, to the highest godfather and everyone in between.  I just want to preserve the options for the *players as a whole* to make, rather than let the few disable features for the many.

I know you would much rather have checkboxes in your HQ settings page so you can individually disable large chunks of the game for your crew members.  It would make your job easier, sure.... but it also would choke the life out of your crew.   I never want to see it get to that level.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

And it's that self-righteous attitude that is making people turn their back on you Squishy.

"I know you would much rather have checkboxes in your HQ settings page so you can individually disable large chunks of the game for your crew members."

You know full well that is not true, don't outright lie to gain favour Squishy, that's lower than a fucking rat.

Report Post Tip

On first sight I honestly don´t ksee anything wrong with admin interfering and pushing the game into a direction, especially when it comes to keeping things in character, where the PP/Mug thingy seems quite a tough one all in all...

Report Post Tip

I think is a strange time for this to happen and how it was done was not the best, but these things can't be altered now.  I believe many people have an opinion and like always not everyone will be pleased no matter what.  I would always love to see less admin interference but not to the point like some other games that share the jaundies irc server, which either are in danger or already have dissapeared.  I think a more diplomatic approach by many on both sides is needed, but sometimes thats asking too much.

Report Post Tip

I wish no ill will on the game, it's owners, admins or users.

i can only see ill will in my eyes here but thats just my point of view.

to touch on squishys point also i played a mafia game a few years back before i landed here and a friend i made online ran himself into the ground so bad playing it 24/7 his health and sanity was greatly effected to the point where an admin intervened for the guys own sake i see no reason why that shouldnt happen after all its a game not your life.

also i would like to point out the fact that try stepping into squishys shoes running a game its userbase and future, sure its easy to sit and criticize but this game is only growing and respect for that

Report Post Tip

For this game to progress beyond someone's baby and into a genuine product, it would need to become a lot more professional. Squishy muted around putting a buffer between himself and the users like it was a bad thing, but it was absolutely the best solution he could have come up with. You don't have a direct line to Blizzard to bitch about Warcraft, you have to go through various levels of customer support. Obviously this isn't on the same scale, but the principle is what is important. There is a reason you can't go straight to the source and this game would benefit significantly from a similar sort of operation, where the attention of the coders wasn't on dealing with user bullshit and could be spent objectively looking at the development of the game. 

The difficulty is in giving up control and letting people play with and in some cases I'm sure, trample all over your hard work. Speaking as someone who has undoubtedly trampled on that hard work in the past, I am sure it is absolutely enraging to witness. However, the appeal of the game has always been the choice afforded to the players and the pursuit of getting to the top of pyramid and being able to piss off the edge onto everyone else who doesn't like how you do things. Well, it has been for me anyway. 

Regardless, retiring a Don CL account over this sort of drama that has existed for virtually as long as the game itself seems ridiculously childish. I'm sure it will change absolutely nothing. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $200,000 Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Not the first time, won't be the last.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL