Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 00:12:34
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Godfather Crews and Respect Started by: blink on Sep 22, '13 01:17

blink straightens his tie before clearing his throat and beginning to speak. He'd only recently caught up with a thief that attempted to lift his wallet whilst he went about his business. But there was a reason he was called blink, you'd better do anything to him in the time it took to blink or he'd know about it. 

Friends a recent message i received by a rather disrespectful fellow mobster had me thinking about the position I and roughly 160 of you currently find ourselves in. Here was a small excerpt from it which had me thinking: 

well this is simple for you. i been in a gf crew so you not special.

Once i got over the initial disappointment of being told i'm not "special" I then started to ponder whether members of Godfather families were indeed in a position that would demand more respect then just a member of a crew within a district. 

Often the pinnacle of most mobsters life used to be acceptance into the Godfathers family, the inner trusted circle. Only those closest to the Godfather who held his ear ever earned such a spot. You were hand selected from the Godfathers crew for your skills and because you would be an asset. As you can see from the list of crews, these families don't just pick those fresh off the boat and any petty thief that wanted to join would be laughed away. 

Nowadays with so many mobsters attaining the rank of Godfather the position has no doubt become a lot less rare and thus the novelty and pride that comes with such acquiring a place in such a crew may have been significantly watered down or no longer seen as such an attractive position for a mobster to attain to. 

So tell me, if you were a Made Man in a Godfather crew would you expect a higher level of respect than a Made Man in a crew? Or is a Made Man a Made Man regardless of the crew he resides in? 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

There is a few ways of looking at this.

Firstly, what the Godfather says... goes. The RHM to the Godfather has higher ranking than crew leaders in that Godfathers district. Therefore a member of the Godfather family could be considered a higher social status in this thing of ours. That however does not give them the right to lord it up over other members of the same rank in a normal family.

Secondly, this is the one I believe in. Made man is a made man, Godfather family or not they both deserve the same amount of respect. Neither of them should be pulling the rank card other each other. Give respect and earn respect.

Then of course there is the other argument that the Godfather has picked out those people in his/her family specifically, therefore those people should be treated as if they are of a higher rank and deserve more respect. 

All in all I think respect should be earned. Give people a reason to respect you, don't sit back just because you are in a Godfathers family and think that makes you better than others. There might be people that work harder than you and maybe do more for the district and the Godfather than you do. It is just less direct.

Report Post Tip

Joins the conversation with his "I R SPECHUL" hat

"The honor of being Made is straight across the board regardless if you belong to a GF crew or not. There is the same level of respect that should be given to anyone who has worked for the honor of such. Where this world has gone, in which I am not very pleased about, is that it does seem the gratification and importance of doing such has lost its meaning. In my grandfathers days it was more of a honor and respected for the hard work it took to do so. These days people seem to view it more of a stepping stone and is actually viewed as a lower rank. Sad to say but times change and it's just something that is out of personal control. However, it does not take anything away from those who obtain the rank. It means your officially a part of your family, that's something no one can take from you unless it's by a bullet. Regardless of your leaders rank. To be honest, if some mobster approaches you about why he's more special, who gives two shits. Your only obligation is too your family. If he wants to be special, then toss him some child safe scissors and some construction paper. Should keep him busy for a few hours."

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip
What it comes down to is who has the power to do what to who, bottom line. We can all follow a code of honor and respect, but ultimately power trumps all those things.
Report Post Tip

There is a quaintness, and an idealism, to suggesting that respect is universal or that standards are equal across the board.

In an ideal world, this would even be true. A moralistic (by our standards!) utopia where the old ways were always practiced and the right principles. Unfortunately though human nature always kicks in and we must add, in addition, the fact that we do not exist in a vacuum and that we are always struggling for more. More money, more power, more influence, more respect. It doesn't matter if these things are tangible or not; hell, it doesn't even matter if the outcome is reality or perception.

I can speak with some authority on this matter. As a totally unaffiliated Leader in The Bronx I was occasionally subjected to petty status games, obstruction, condescension and, on a few occasions, outright disrespect. Is this an acceptable way to treat a Leader? Not really, but I had no 'connection' with any other crews and my only protection was my association with City Hall, a pact that guaranteed only my physical safety and that of my crew, so people always knew they could get away with things and they pushed the envelope accordingly.

Conversely, as a Right Hand Man in North Side, I have been subjected only to respect, modesty and a general pleasantness and lack of egoism that sometimes (only sometimes, I hasten to add) was missing when I had no such connections. The only thing that has changed is before I was my own backer, whereas now Solastalagia and (more indirectly) the rest of Chicago by association are my backers; as with anyone else who calls this city home.

I would enjoy a would where perception and respect are based on the rank you carry and the suit you where, but it's just not realistic. Respect always has and always will be based on how big and scary you are, and how big and scary your friends are.

Report Post Tip

Cray takes a sip from a flask and joins the conversation.

From what I've seen respect isn't based on rank or if a mobster is in a Godfather family or not. It seems to be based on how long a person's bloodline has been involved in this thing of ours and what the bloodline has accomplished.

Report Post Tip

I don't see made men as equal either, or the ranks above it.   I could compare and count equal made men in the same crew(if not friends of the boss) in many cases but not in different crews or cities unless a city wide/district wide policy.  The truth is different crews have different rules for what they are willing to open the book at to give someone what was once something only few ever obtained.  The made status eroded a long time ago and now the increased ability to get godfather will or in some peoples opinion continue to erode this rank the same way.

The truth is in many cases people are having a rank for just plodding along, they don't have to be skilled on the street, they don't have to be a gun, or deftly hand sweeping through pockets.  They don't even have to understand whats going on in some cases as long as they sign the rules, make some money and later in some cases when we see them in the obits, it is a case of well they seemed alright till this mistake.  In one case a Man above made could not differentiate another crews Consig from part of the NPC army of TylerDurden. 

I think the truth is people look around obits, streets or business district people can make their own judgements on people that stand out, as seems to be individuals who stand out sometimes more than ranks.  As for respecting someone for being big and scary,  not for me either as we all know what happens to the big and scary people, sooner or later revolution.  I separate respect and fear that way.

Report Post Tip

When it comes to a Godfather crew there are a few different thigns to consider. The first is that while you may be a gangster in the Godfather crew you are still a gangster. You have yet to make your bones and earn respect. When it comes to Made Men things change a bit. In their own city they deserve more respect, but no more than a hand from a crew. They've been chosen, but they are still not in a position to command. If a made man in the Godfather crew ordered a gangster in another crew in their district to do something I would not think that they had any jurisdiction.

The other sad thing is that we have gotten to the point that there are 14 Godfathers. What are we to think about this. Being in a Godfather crew is not special, it's as simple as that. In years past it was an honor to be considered for the Godfather crew, but those days are long gone. If someone thinks they are above others because they are in a godfather crew they are blatantly wrong. You may have worked harder, but with this many Godfathers, it's not too difficult anymore.

Report Post Tip

I don't see being in a godfather crew as a higher position than being the same rank in a non-godfather crew. I do think it's generally safe to infer that someone in a godfather crew has some skill that is above average though as the size constraints of godfather crews would presumably make them more picky about crew composition. Or y'know, the godfather thinks they're swell.

Report Post Tip

I will give my thoughts on the subject.

In all honesty I don't think anybody is above anybody Godfather , CL , Hands , Godfather crew or regular mademan or associate we all have the common interests of killing and making money simple as we should all show respect whether it be a gangster to a godfather or the other way around , respect is a big thing never think you are above someone because of rank or position because you never know where that person could be in a few short months. In all honesty rank stature crew should not matter we're all just men and woman living a life of crime and all should be respected the same.

Constantine walks off back to his daily activities 

Report Post Tip

From the perspective of a godfather on this matter, I of course value and hold in high regard each person I have selected in my own godfather crew. This doesn't mean that I don't value the other members that were in my original family, just that I felt these ten people deserved to stay here with me. In my opinion, they should be held at a slightly higher level of respect than the average joe. 

However, being in a godfather crew does not give one the right to lord it over someone, and talk down to others. I would assume that if you were given a position of "higher respect", you would know that you must in turn give respect, otherwise you're just a dick.

Report Post Tip

"For the most part, Made Men are are suppose to be loyal, respectful, and have somewhere shown they earned the badge they wear. Respect is key to those involved in this world of ours. Without it, you won't have it in return and you won't make many friends. It's hard to survive with more enemies than friend, that's pretty simple. So I like to think that Made Men are given the features that a person of their rank should be held at. That, or they shouldn't be a Made Man.

With that said, to some level I would like to think that the GF family does consist of all those you with to be by your side. They wouldn't be there if you haven't found a place in your Godfather's heart to bring you there. So to your Godfather, yes you are that important. Most of the time we don't see many examples of how this could really be used, hardly ever.

However, a Made Man is a Made Man. That will never change. That's a rank that is earned, not given. Each person and Godfather or CL have their own relationship with each other. It's what they make of it for them to decide who gets the call up and who doesn't. I wouldn't like to think that a Made Man from a Godfather crew would be bossing another Made from a local or even distant crew. I've always been a believer that the members should let their CL's handle the problems, not do it themselves. So there is no real clout in those terms.

As a RHM to a Godfather I don't like to think of myself on a higher level than any of the district CLs. I like to still think of us all as equals. However, when my Godfather is absent I like to think of it as I have watch on the district for us. There is a reason he put me in this position, I won't take advantage of it or use it to my favorite, but I will be acting over the city, working with the CLs to make sure everything goes as smoothly as it possibly can. That's my job. Not to hold clout over anyone."

Report Post Tip

Well, alright. Finally something that tickles my fancy. 

First off, if I was in a Godfather crew(which I am), I would actually like to believe that my Godfather, the leader of my district, trusts me more than he trusts another person of the same rank. After all, he does share a HQ with me. Does he trust me? I don't know, you should prolly ask Gohan. 

However, I wouldn't presume to lord over another member of the same or another district....simply because I occupy a smaller HQ and my CL is a Godfather. I would, however, presume to lord over someone else if I truly believed I had more power than him/her.

That is what it all boils down to.Power. If I thought that I could get away with saying or doing something, well I am definitely going to do it. If I thought I could stay unsponsored and no-one would dare take a shot at me because I possess some form of power over literally every single hitter in this world, I would do it in a heartbeat. If I could walk out here and insult someone like Godfather Gohan, Don DeadlySpikeS,Don Constantine or for that matter anyone higher than me in the traditional hierarchy, and live, I would do it.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that I wouldn't take it if someone with almost negligible actual power but with the rank of a Don and a HQ of his own tried to lord over me but I sure as hell will flaunt the clout I hold over anyone. I realize that I have digressed from the original topic quite a bit, but I felt it was necessary to give you this analogy to better explain my viewpoint. 

Report Post Tip

It is an interesting topic and i do think that a member of a GodFather/Mother crew should receive the respect they deserve as they are hand picked to be part of such an elite HQ.

Now i have heard of mobsters being Executed for Mugging Members of a GF crew and even demoted for Pping a member of a GF crew Though i guess with so many Godfathers/Mothers now some may think that the awe they held in the past has gone.

I hope that isnt the case. 

Report Post Tip

Very interesting indeed, A member of my bloodline was once in a GF crew and as far not being special he/she is somewhat right, but still very wrong.. Let me explain.

In the journals of this bloodline member of mine talks of his time in his Godfather crew and speaking of how there was never really a shift of duties it was like being in a regular crew with only 10 other people.. So in that sense, being in a Godfather is not that special.

However, as many have stated before me, it's no less an honor to be considered for such a place of honorable men and I believe the respect should go hand-in-hand with that.

I don't think a Made Man in a Godfather crew would deserve more respect than one in a Captain or Underboss crew. Only if said GF crew Made Man was a RHM or LHM (I realize that's not that common but you get my point.)

All I am saying is that a Made Man is a Made Man and the respect should remain the same to all Made Men, unless they have a place in the in the HQ and/or inner-circle that entitles to be granted more respect.

Report Post Tip

Listening to this conversation one thing in particular grabbed my attention.

I don't think anybody is above anybody Godfather , CL , Hands , Godfather crew or regular mademan or associate

Now, I'm not just saying this because I am a CL, anyone who knows me i stand by what im saying no matter what my rank. Your rank determines your power, a Godfather is above a CL, a cl is above a RHM, RHM above LHM etc etc. To imply that a Gangster should not be above the godfather is INSANE. The Godfather earned his position and he is in control of that district you should treat him with the upmost respect. Anyone who ranks higher than you should be respected. It is silly to think that a Crewleader is the same as a Made man, and slightly disrespectful.

Now, dont get me wrong, everyone deserves respect, until proven otherwise. I would approach a gangster with appropriate respect but if he disrespected me, he would know about it. Whereas if my godfather called me an asshole and told me to sort myself out, I would do it, because he outranks me, and he deserves the respect he has earnt.

As for the original question, you can ask does a Capo in the Gf crew outrank a Capo in a normal crew? This is debatable. Yes the GF crew does technically mean they have slightly more power than you, but in reality this is nothing, they are just another crew member, and as they are the same rank they should have the same power and respect. The only difference being, if these two capos got into a dispute, and each contacted their crew leader to help settle it, the Godfathers words have more power than the crew leaders words.

Treat everybody with the respect they deserve and you will also be treated with the same respect, you learn that in first year of school.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I will have to agree with No on this note, for the most part.

Respect is indeed earned, which fellow people in the Godfather family should have earned if they are there. Though they are in a Godfather family they should still continue to uphold and treat others as they want to be treated, the mentality of being in a regular family or a Godfather family should not change in my opinion and in which case both would be protected all the same.

Now as Blink mentioned, with the recent increase of Godfathers and having one per district in these fine days it has indeed been watered down, with so many families open for business and looking for new peddlers to push product for them the caliber of active Mafioso’s has indeed become harder to come by compared to how things were a few months ago.

Of course as a Godfather you have your work horses that have helped you gain control of that particular district, even if it may only be a few they have been with you every step of the way and know you can trust them,  in my mind have earned a spot in the GF family. Over time people will come and go, and some of those peddlers will evolve into respected mobsters and maybe you can look at bringing them up after proving themselves.

At the end of the day you gotta work with what you have and make the best of it as our world slowly grows on day to day basis, as those who try and put effort into what they are doing, will get better.

As far as someone dis respecting another, even more so a hand in a Godfather family should be dealt with in some way shape or forum. They should know these are the closest people to the Godfather which is turn is evident of a strong relationship with a powerful man, who more then likely has some powerful friends. Word spreads quick, and should just ask yourself is a disrespectful legacy the one you want to leave here when your gone.

Report Post Tip

I agree and disagree at the same time. What I mean by that is, just because they are in a god father crew does not give them the right to talk down to people. They are to respect people the same way anyone else does.

However I like how Gohan put it. I hand selected my people and I only took the people I felt deserved it the most. In my eyes, I would see it as a bit of a promotion to be asked to move to a godfather crew from a captains crew. You have payed your dues and earned his trust to have a seat in a very select house. 

That is just my view on it and I also agree on several points made by others.

Report Post Tip

my feeling of this is that just  becuse some one is in a GodFather's crew don't me  it right for some one to act like they

can act as disrespectful to whom ever they wont to in fact  they need to lead by sample so the others how they

need to act and carry themselves  not act in a way that is unbecoming and rude and act like it is fine

in fact they need to act in a way that is becoming of the GodFather and how the GodFather would act.

Report Post Tip

In my opinion, everyone should be respected. Even if you are the Godfather, you should respect those under you. There are no exceptions. How can you gain the respect of people surrounding you if you don't respect to them.  Its true that the GF crew deserves more respect than the others but they should also set an example.

For example, a Made from the GF crew disrepects a Made from a normal crew. The GF should make a decision without any bias in my opinion (I'm not implying that they are biased). 

About the ranking. If you are just a gangster, respect those above you. That is the rule of this world. Get in the wrong foot and you are swimming with the fishes. You deserve respect but you still have to earn it. If your rank is lower, respect those above you and respect those who are under you so that they will also respect you.

RESPECT IS EARNED. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Godfather Crews and Respect
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL