Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 21:08:30
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
The Opportune Moment Started by: Gina_Lucaccio on Oct 25, '13 03:29

Her curiosity was getting the better of her...yet again.  Ariadne peered out through the Irish lace curtains over the kitchen sink to her neighbor's house.  What WAS going on over there?  The walls of the houses weren't the greatest, and being build cheek by jowl didn't make for a whole lot of privacy, even if most of the neighborhood consisted of "their kind" of folks. 

Oh Gina...what on earth have you gotten into so soon after moving in? You couldn't have possibly gotten mixed up with the wrong folks already, or could you? Ariadne thought before grabbing a light shawl from the coat rack near the door and, shooing the cats away from the door to keep them inside, she stepped out, walking purposefully to the neighboring home.  She heard more than one masculine voice as she stepped up to the porch and, cautiously standing to one side, she knocked lightly on the door, calling out.

"Oh Gina, are you home dear?" 

Report Post Tip

From the kitchen, Gina recognizes the voice as that of her neighbor.  A few of Corky's bodyguards stand quickly, but Gina raises a hand gently.

"She's alright- she's my neighbor."

Slowly getting up from her chair, Gina steps through the kitchen and dining room, then turns the corner into the foyer.

"Ariadne- yes.  I hope all the commotion didn't wake you.  Come in, please."

As Ariadne steps inside, Gina pulls her robe around her, noticing how chilly it's gotten outside.

"I'm afraid there's been a bit of an emergency.  I left work far too late tonight, and was mugged as I locked up the bar.  Fortunately, there was a man nearby that came to my aid- named Aaron- and he quickly disposed of the would-be robbers.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of the troubles.  We were attacked on the drive home.  Aaron was hurt badly.  He's being seen to now in the guest room."

Gina found herself relieved to see her neighbor.  Even though they'd only spoken briefly a few times, she found Ariadne's personality to be quite charming and refreshing.  

Report Post Tip

Ariadne gasps in horror as she listens to Gina, her brow furrowed.

Well heavens girl, why on earth would ye walk home when it's black as my unlamented ex husband's black heart last night? 

She scowls and mutters something that sounds like "may his arse rot in hell!" under her breath.  Stepping close, she puts her hands gently on Gina's shoulders, eyeing her critically.

Are you sure you are well, my dear?  Do you need me to do anything? Sit yourself down; do you want me to get you some tea? Need me to help in the kitchen?

As though she's just noticed them, though her dark green gaze misses little, she lowers her voice.  Do you need anything...else?  With the last word she looks significantly at the men hulking around the room, their broad shoulders making the small room feel nearly airless.

Report Post Tip

Making a fairly loud crash as he trips over a chair in the next room, TM stumbles into the kitchen, followed closely behind by the good doctor, who is pleading with him.

"Please son, you need to rest...I'm sorry guys, he insisted that he didn't want to be in that bed."

TM composes himself, then makes a few more steps before almost falling again.  He stumbles his way across the room, toward the main foyer and tracks down his coat.  As he digs through it, he finally produces his flask from it and opens it as quick as he can, while the doctor pleads with Gina and the others to help make him go back to bed.  TM notices Gina standing in the room and looks at her apologetically. 

"I'm sorry, but your sheets, I think they're ruined..."

TM finds his way to a plain looking wooden chair and takes a quick drink.

Report Post Tip

Ariadne pauses, noting the ragged man as he plops into a chair and tips back a flash that looks to be well used.  Arching an eyebrow at the cacophony of voices, she claps her hands and looks around, her Irish roots breaking free of restraint.

WILLYE ALL JUST SETTLE! Christ Jesus let the man have a nip of juice! 

Ah boyo, yer looking wrecked.  Alright? She looked more closely at the man, eying him even more critically than she had Gina. 

He looks to need a bit more 'an what he's got there...Gina love, do you have any of that whisky I brought 'round when ye moved in?

As the doctor starts to protest, Ariadne scowls, drawing herself up to her diminutive height and glaring at the man.

Ye've done what ye could, doc...let the man have the whisky...it'll do him better than that snake oil ye'll be trying to force down his throat!

Report Post Tip

The room immediately grows silent.  Gina, having been addressed, nods and makes her way over to the little bar in the front room.  She returns in a few moments and hands the bottle to Ariadne.  Cray and Corky, who had been watching with some amusement from the kitchen door, approach Gina with their coats.  Corky hugs her gently.

"We've got to get back so that Sarah can get home.  You call us if you need anything at all.  I'm leaving to of my men here.  You stay put, understand, lady?  Until we get this problem with Tyler Durden squared away, I don't want you setting foot out of this house.  Dr. Garucci will come back tomorrow to check on you."

Gina nods appreciatively as Cray squeezes her hand.  Glancing over to the chair where Aaron had landed, Gina can't help but chuckle.  She walks over, pulls over a footrest from a nearby wing chair, and carefully sits down beside him.  Not quite sure what to say, she looks up at Ariadne.

"Thank you.  I know everyone meant well, but it was getting terribly exhausting in here."

Report Post Tip

"Well my sweet, you don't need all that fashing about in your condition anyway.  And all those brutes in your home, goodness how do they get in with those shoulders!"

She watches the men head out, then pats Gina's hand. Leaning in to murmur softly in Gina's ear, she whispers "So what's the story on that lad with the whisky?  He's got a familiar look to him, he does." 

The doctor seems to be determined to hover, getting Ariadne's ire up again as she barks. "Oi you sodding sawbones, leave the boy!" Turning to Gina, she walks the woman to a chair, gentle but forceful in her way. 

"You look pale, are you sure I can't bring you something to eat? I've some Sunday stew in the pot at home, I could bring you a bit..." 

Report Post Tip

Dr. Garucci finally gave in, gathered his things, and left.  Gina is utterly exhausted at this point, and honestly couldn't stand much longer if she had to.  She shakes her head gently.

"I'm alright, really.  I- just need to sleep at some point."

Her eyes wander back to TM, who found his way to a couch and is half-sitting and half lying down with his eyes closed.  The doctor had managed to stitch his wounds and stop the bleeding, but the bandaging job was messy- likely because he'd stopped cooperating at that point.  She wanted more than anything to do something for him.  She watched him for a few moments before turning back to Ariadne.

"His name is Aaron.   I don't know much about him- only that he is a respected man out of a family in Brooklyn.  They call him "The Marine."  Cray told me that he's quite well-known.  All I really know is that I owe him my life.  Two lives, really."

Report Post Tip

Following Gina's gaze, she nods to herself.

Interesting name he's got...but that bandage is going to fall off and then he'll stain that couch. 

She steps over to the young man and leans close, murmuring.  Let me bandage that proper. Behave yourself and I'll have Gina give you that bottle, as she won't be drinking it.  Going to cooperate with me, boyo?

As he nods, she makes quick work of it, smiling as his eyes widen, not given a chance to protest before the job is done.

Now! You, drink some of that Irish and rest yourself.  Gina, You should get some rest as well..being on your feet that much you'll have ankles and feet as big as an elephants, if you aren't careful. If you need anything, you ring me, understand?  I mean it, lass, I want none of this racing about town; I've a perfectly good automobile out there and don't mind, you know that.  Sleep well and know that I'm just next door, ehn?" 

Report Post Tip

"I will, Ariadne, thank you so much.  I'll call you tomorrow."

She watches her friend leave, and as the door shuts, she sighs.  Corky's men were taking in the foyer and the kitchen, and Aaron was finally still and seemed to be resting.  The house was quiet- something she now realized she had taken for granted.  To her, it was chilly in the room- she hoped he would be alright.  Then again, the alcohol was probably keeping him warm.  Still, she worried.  She got up and made her way to the guest bedroom.  He was right, the sheets were destroyed, but it was nothing that couldn't easily be replaced.  Gina had decided to hire a housekeeper anyway- might as well get her used to it.  

Taking an extra blanket from the closet, she returned and spread the blanket carefully over him, hoping not to wake him.  Returning to the chair near him, she briefly considered going up to bed; but before she could gather her strength to make the move, she drifted off to sleep.

Report Post Tip

After a few hours, TM is stirred from his sleep.  Having had some time to rest, and time for the whiskey to wear off, he looks around, suddenly remembering his night.  He looks over at the shivering woman sitting in the chair next to him, and shakes his head to himself.  He walks over to her, and carefully carries her to a bed and tucks blankets around her, then searches out his coat and guns puts them on.  He writes a short little letter and leaves it on the table.

Thanks for everything, sorry for the sheets.

Find me in Brooklynn and I'll get you a new set.

As he sets the letter out, he grabs up his coat again and heads for the door, trying to sneak out quietly.  As he steps outside, he notices the sun coming up, so he decides to go for a little walk to watch the city come to life before tracking down a cab.  As he is about to round the block and leave sight of Gina's house, he hears the squealing of brakes as a car comes to a stop just outside.  Immediately, he turns around again, noticing more Delaware plates and instinctively draws his guns.  

As TM runs up, he catches another car stop, and men get out.  He ducks behind a nearby car and waits a minute wondering why they're not going inside yet.  Maybe they think he's still in there?  He shakes the thought and decides to act quick before they change their mind.  Running on up the street a little ways, he sneaks into one of the cars parked on the side of the road and releases the brake on it.  Chasing close behind it as it plows into the back of one of the Delaware vehichles, uses the loud crashing sound as a distraction and quickly runs up the trunk of the borrowed car and launches himself over it, into a set of bushes, dragging one of the men with him.

He pops out of the bush holding the man between him and the other boys from Delaware.

"Look, I'm tired of this shit, I've been shot once already, I've killed more than my share of your guys, I'm giving you the chance now, get in your car and go home.  If I have to shoot another one of you little pricks I'm taking your whole city down with me you understand?"

As though it was a little too easy, the group of men quickly make for their cars, after they take of driving he releases the final one.

"I don't care how you do it, but go home, stop bothering this fine lady ok?"

The man nods and takes off running down the street.  TM sits on the step for a while, drinking from his flask, then decides to get up and check on Gina one more time before he leaves.  As he goes to open the door he hears a subtle click and it dawns on him what they were doing and why they left so easily.

KABOOOMMM!!!

The explosion at the door shook the whole house.  TM was barely able to dive down the stairs and avoid the door taking his head off as the explosion sent him flying, head first, into the side of Ariadne's car.  The charge was very directed, intended to only kill whoever was exiting the door that morning, luckily for him, the charges were directed inward for that same reason and not out to him, never the less, the explosion was enough to send him, his flask, and any nearby flowerpots flying to the streets in all directions.

Report Post Tip

An ear-splitting blast woke Gina as the entire house shook.  Trying to cover herself, her foot tangled in the sheets and she fell out of the bed, landing hard on her right side.  She covered her head with her arms and waited in case there were any more blasts.  Her mind was racing- was anyone still in the house?  

"Oh god- Aaron..."

Gina started to push herself up from the floor, her shoulder and hip throbbing from the fall.  She managed to sit up enough to reach for the side of the bed to help her stand.  The floor beneath her made a low, frightening groan.

From the outside, through the blast hole in the front of the house, one could hear a loud crack- then a cloud of dust and debris filled the air as the second floor of the house gave way and tumbled into the foyer.

Report Post Tip

TM is ripped back into conciousness by the sound of the floor caving in.  As his vision returns and he sits up against the car that had broken his fall, he tries to gather his wits.  He looks up at the house, hearing a scream as more of the floor collapses and quickly scrambles to his feet and searches out his flask.

"Son of a..."

TM rushes to the window at the side of the foyer and checks inside for any parts of the house falling on him, then takes several steps back and charges full speed at the window.  He throws his flask through a panel of it, softening a spot in the glass then launches himself through it, turning his back praying to god he doesn't tear open his wound too bad.  He shrugs it off and quickly heads to the foyer, towards the earlier screams.

By the time he gets there, the floor had already given way and trapped Gina underneath it.  He stops and examines the room, checking first on Gina to make sure she was just pinned and nothing was hurt, then he tries to lift away some of the debris, but can't manage to make it budge.  He murmers to himself for a second then looks at Gina.

"Ok hun, I'm going to need you to stay very still, take a few deep breaths and when I say, you are going to crawl to the other room.  The window is...open...we'll have to go out that way, and get in a car, we can't stay here, I'm going to Brooklynn, you can come if you want, but I have a way to take care of this for good there."

He walks over to the table in the middle of the room then tips it over and kicks the legs off of it, then shoves it in between your body and the debris.  After drawing a few quick breaths he takes in one more long breath and heaves the table upwards, lifting a large amount of debris with it, making room for Gina to get out of the room.

"Ok, GO!"

Report Post Tip

With a painful groan, Gina pulls herself away from the pile and crawls toward the open window.  A seering pain shoots up her shoulder with every move, but the sheer fear of more of the house falling in keeps her going.  She pauses and looks back, making sure that he is still behind her.  Seeing him not far behind, she finally makes her way to the window.  She stands slowly, her body shaking from the mix of adrenaline and shock, and carefully gets through the window.  Enough of the brick steps are in tact that she can walk down to the yard.  She hurries away from the house toward the street, cradling her right arm with her left.  When she reaches the all but destroyed cab from the night before, she turns and watches for TM.  

In the still moments before he makes it to the car, she tries to make sense of what happened.  What had caused the explosion?  She glanced around the street- none of the other houses seemed to be damaged, most importantly Corky and Cray's. Reacting to a pain in her lower back, she leans back against the car as TM makes his way to her.

"What happened?  Were you in the house when it...happened?"

Report Post Tip

TM looks back and forth between Gina, then the house, then back to her, then the car, then her arm.

"Lazy bastards must have skimmed on their explosives a bit this time.  You alright?"

He shakes his head and takes her hand, walking down the road a ways.

"The cab's no good, they'll spot it leaving town in no time.  We need something fresh.

He stops at a car a few blocks down then puts his elbow through the window and opens the door.  After reaching across and opening the other door he comes over to help Gina get in.

"This'll do for now."

TM jumps back in the driver seat and stops for a second looking carefully at Gina's arm, then see's the doctor coming out of his house to investigate the noise himself.  TM quickly gets out of the car and yells at him to come quick.

Report Post Tip

A month passed.  After a bloody brawl with the Delaware family that cost many Durden lives, things in New York went mostly back to normal.  Gina moved back in with Corky and Cray while she considered what to do about a house.  In that time, she and The_Marine spent quite a bit of time together.  

Having made many smart decisions on behalf of the city, Godfather Paul Klint saw fit to make some role changes.  Cray was given his own family, and Gina would take the position of Paul's Right Hand.  With these changes, New York was stronger than ever.  There was a new excitement in the city.

Report Post Tip

One day, while TM was outside his cabin, with Gina and her midwife, Ana in the kitchen,  a bit of commotion came from inside as Ana rushed to the door.

"Aaron, come in quick, her water just broke, the baby's coming!!"

TM dropped his axe and kicked over a pile of wood to get inside.  When he gets in the door Ana cuts him off and points to the other room.

"Towels, now, I need lots of them.  Don't worry sweetie, you'll be a mother by midnight."

TM came back with a large stack of towels, then waited, hoping it wasn't too soon.  All this time he'd spent around the woman and the soon to be born child, he'd grown quite a friendship with her.

After several hours go by the baby finally comes out.  Ana smiles and announces.

"It's a girl!"

TM heads to the next room and grabs the phone, instantly calling Blue Heaven.

"No look, I don't care if they're busy, Zmeika can wait, get me one of them NOW!"

After a brief pause TM speaks again.

"Ya, hey, guess what, your goddaughter is here.  Yes, it's a girl why else would I say goddaughter huh?  Get over here, she's at the cabin.  Who cares why she's here and not there, it's safer, just get out here already will ya, or I'll be the first one to hold her and not you."

With a laugh and a "See you soon."  TM hangs up the phone and comes back into the bedroom.

Report Post Tip

Corky beamed a smile when she heard that her friend Gina had her baby, and the don was now a proud god mother.

"I'll be over in just a minute"

Corky rushed over to her lover, deeply kissed her and hurried an apology, her usually calm cool voice, nearly squeeled with excitement, "Zmeika, dear, I gotta get going.  I have a goddaughter I need to go hold.  Gina had her baby!  We will have our, erm, drinks soon... I promise my love."

The new godmother kissed Zmeika again, and nearly ran out the exit of her office.  She hopped in her car and drove as fast as she could to TM's cabin.  When she got out she rushed to TM, "Where is she?  Where's my granddaughter? and Gina she's doing fine?"

After TM lead her to Gina's room door, Corky had calmed down a bit, she gave him a hug and a light peck on the cheek. "Thank you for taking care of Gina, and well, for just everything.  You're kindness is greatly appreciated."

After thanking TM, Corky walked quietly into Gina's room and smiled at the new mother.  "Hi dear, She's absolutely beautiful."  She spoke softly to Gina as to not wake the baby who was sleeping quietly in her mother's arms.  Gina handed Corky her new goddaughter, and the don couldn't help but smile, she knew in that moment that the future was indeed bright, not just for Staten Island, but for all of New York.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Opportune Moment
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL