Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 11:44:03
Page:  1 
Have the Times Changed? Started by: KerryKing on Oct 30, '13 05:24

It was a damp night in the streets of Chicago. A fresh faced youngster, with a long bloodline steps out and yells at the top of his lungs. "Have we fallen so far?" A couple of people turn their heads to this gangster causing the disturbance. Others simply go about their evening routine.

"I'll be the first to admit, it's been a while since my bloodline has been gracing these streets. However the things I have witnessed this past day as a thug, barely wet behind the ears, is something I'm not exactly use to.

I had letters in my mailbox, within moments of arriving. These letters were asking out of the blue if I would like to be a member of his or her family. Now I realize things have changed. Young mafioso are able to do work for a respective employer before being approached. That is all well and good. The people I'm referring to here, were not ones I had done any work for. I had not shown any interest whatsoever in talking to, let alone joining them.

Normally I would chalk this up to one or two bad apples, not representing the whole. This is where things took a turn for the worse. I received more repetitive letters of a similar nature. Some of these same people, after hearing no response from me about their previous offer, deemed it necessary for some other-worldly reason to send me another message, and yet another..

When I thought it couldn't get any worse. A Right hand of a well established family asked me point blank, without any previous contact, if I wanted to join his or her crew. My old ways were burned, beaten, and stabbed that day.

Then again, maybe I am simply not caught up with the times. I ask you, is this the norm? I talked to a crew leader when these events were taking place. He/She said that this type of behavior is not called whoring anymore. If so, is that a really a good thing? What are we teaching the new blood pouring into our streets?"

Kerry strokes his beard. He sees a few more people gathering to where he is standing on his proverbial soap box.

"I want to know what you think about this. Are these people that I've talked about tonight in the wrong, or am I in the wrong for reading my father's journals, looking at this situation, and thinking that there is something not quite right about this?"

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $70,000 Tip

KerryKing, in regards to how people recruit the new blood that come to our shores, well it has changed a lot compared to times when a crew leader was shot when suspected of member whoring. Personally though I do not care how others recruit their members. If you entice them with simple one liners and that is good enough for the recruit well then good on you. For me though I don't want someone in any of the crews in Brooklyn, who just jumps on board to the first guy who says hello. I want people who think before making decisions. Who assess all their options and when they finally find a person who has impressed them enough to make them think, "well damn I wanna be in this guys crew," that they join them. These are the people I want around me. So if a crew "member whores" and these new recruits seem impressed enough to join them then all I see in that is removing people who wouldn't have worked out here in Brooklyn anyway. 

Though mainly I don't see how people are recruiting here as an issue and not something we need to fix in case the new blood learn these "bad" ways. If they come to Brooklyn they will learn better ways than what you have mentioned that you experienced. Really comes down to who you learn from. Things I think we as a community could solve so new bloodline don't go down the same path and think it is alright are; How to duel respectfully, Pick Pocket Manners, Becoming less reliant on the Gods, bringing back some old school mafia etiquette, and most of all making people more tough I find some of the community are a lot more....sensitive. 

Saying all this Kerry, you probably noticed there were some crews you didn't get requests from. If anything the ones that did bother you and are trying to recruit you in a way you didn't like would have been a great way for you to cross out crews you don't want to join. I know for a fact there are crews out there, not just in New York but in all cities that are doing a fine job of raising up their new guys and teaching them the right ways. It is just about finding them.

One last thing, I ask if you received any poor recruit requests from members in Brooklyn that you forward that mail to me personally. Sometimes all people need is a little reminder no one is perfect and in Brooklyn we like to guide our people the right way especially if they make mistakes.

Perrin grins

Report Post Tip

I must admit Kerry i have seen far worse recently with invites coming at one stage from a certain now dead philly left hand who will remain unnamed and then is reported to have told the people if they never joined it was seen as an insult to his family.  In another case as soon as another left hand who became a right hand mail everyone as they came of the boat.

A while back an idea came up that leaders should be more pro-active in recruiting to keep mobsters around and expand society.  An expansion in to sponsors came, a city hall crew to stop people slipping between the cracks and then the jobs board to recruit evolved to get people into families and sticking around.

I generally don't contact people if they haven't worked for my family or another suburbs leader or right hand hasn't referred them to my care. 

Do i expect to see more of this as is seen pro-active recruitment? yes

why? too many small families trying to grow or larger families with to many crew inactives.

is it city hall backed? in my mind yes as they want to see society grow and more mayors reap the tax benefits in Godfather- less cities.

Do i agree with it? No, i think with the new job and tutorial boards in place it should give someone a basic idea of what to do even if hard to differeniate crews.  A conversation even shows Drunky and I's cynicism on recruitment practices.

Do i see it getting worse? yes as new crews will emerge in Detroit and Philly soon more people will look for new members.

Report Post Tip

You could say the times have changed but do not give up on the old ways. Ignore the one-liners and recruiting attempts just as i did and make sure the crew you want to join knows you have interest in them. A lot of other people still think that way and as long as those thoughts remain change can happen.

Having interrupted the discussion like that Mugen goes off into the shadows again.

Report Post Tip

Indeed times have changed. My ancestors have told stories where in crew leaders gets killed for not screening new recruits well and sending invitations without even talking to the recruit. These changes happened because it was allowed to happen I think. Some oldways still remains though like not shooting those fresh from the boats and have the tag of 4h and such. Now the recruiting process can have it's own positive and negative effect. It can boost up the membership of the crew and posibly kick in more money.It can also cause its downfall if the new recruit turns out to be a shit more than an asset to the crew. In the end I guess it's up to the leaders if they will take the risk.

Report Post Tip

Well recently we have seen the side effects of recruitment recently as so many people who died with crews in some cases had not been active for 3 weeks or more, even established crews have members ia since august or worst in some cases.  Also when crews disband you will notice sometimes have die with the crew or are ia, semi ia and go down in the disbanding.

The general affect outside the boost for the crewleader is the person is not earning, no good in a war and not recruiting if of rank.  Is a hard decision then whether to limit crews and strength, recruit and avoid someone else getting strong or take a chance and hope for the best with keeping people active.  At several stages in the recent war due to Chicago enormity it meant a lack of pro'ers where some people have ia's where recruitment and cleaning the family compared to new blood in ratios had problems.

Report Post Tip

SaintAnthony approaches those of whom have gathered in conversation and with a tilt of his hat apprpaches the front

There's a fine line between recruitment and the phrase we've coined as "whoring". In todays society there is a feeding frenzt when it appears new blood washes upon these shores. With a mix of excitement and necessity, families are more apt to approach a new Mafioso, knowing they'll need protection in this crazy world of ours.

In another stance intertwining with that one we now have jobs one may choose to do upon their arrival to this land. It makes sure they get their criminal works noticed and ensure a Don doesn't over look a hard working up and comer.

But do some abuse the sight of new blood? Of course. Since the beginning of time there has been instances of "whoring". Is it as relevant today with the new system in place? I'd like ro think not. You can choose to do work for an family you're interested in, you can choose to do for multiples to be given notice you're here and looking for an home. But I know in every apple there will be a bad seed. 

To sum up this discussion on my part, the world hasn't changed, parts of evolved, but just like the constant need to find food and to breed certain things will always be force of habit or rather instict. We can only hope we as Mafioso evolve as well.

Report Post Tip

Husky enjoys his last cookie as he waiting for his turn to bark in at the conversation, as he found himself a good chance he stand up and started to walk in the middle, followed by his translator, Husky started barking with high, mid, low tones....

Arf! Arf Arf! Arf!

(Translator) As my human iGoBerserk walks here in the past, i followed him around.

Arf! Arf! Arrrf! Aarfffff! Arf! Arf!

(Translator) I so him how he works, how he communicates people,  how he rage, how he concerned himself to the others, how he talk to new faces that step into our shore.

Arf! Arf! Arf! Arf arf! Arf Arf!

(Translator) He is a picky one i say. He will talk to you once, and when he did not like the answer he leaves them alone. He will look for another one that he knows he can use, he can teach, that in the future the family would proud of. He died in war and i have to go on. I walk away and thought that his way of life is not my concern, I never wanted to walk the life of the sinners, but life is not so good on me, I starve, i can't find a good food to fill up my stomach.  Till one day i see myself walking the same street as my Human have walk in the past.

Husky stop barking as he is taking his breathe then start barking again.

Arf! Arrrrf! Arff! Arf Arf!!

(Translator) This is my experience when I Arrive in here, I just want to share it to you all. My first thought  when I arrive in here is just to look around, since I am here, maybe i could find someone i knew in the past that my human always hangs when he is still alive. But sadly i cant find them, till i find a Job that gives some small amount of cookie. after a day or two of work they fired me i need to find another and found one after a day of work i got fired again, i starve for three days and found another work, then the manager come to me and told me sorry I need to fire you since i see that in your tag that you are not interested in a full time work in our society. I bark as loud as i can bark, what is the meaning of this damn work as I say in my thought? does this mean if i work on a family meaning i wanted to be in their circle? does this work give me less chance to find me a good roof that i know they will feed me more cookies. Does this work give the family the right to whore new faces around this society?

Husky stop again as he smell something that he thought it is a cookie but  he found out it is a Bacon. Husky continue to bark again

Arf! Arf! Arf! Arf! Arf! Arfffff Arf Arf Arffff! Arf Arf!

(Translator) As i am walking and thinking a calling card has been thrown infornt of me with a name of a guy and it is a red card, an invite to a family,  I turn around and never seen his face nor talk to him and he just send an invite to me? what if am a spy or a traitor or a rogue or something that will make the family go down because of my attitude, he did not even know what is my bloodline if am a real Husky or am just having a costume and am a real Piitbull. I ignore it then started walking again, then I found the first manager i had work he ask me if i wanted to join them, i just say not now i need to think, but he give me a red card, a famly invite then told me if you ever change your mind and stay here just accept my invite. I am so confused that i dont know what to do i walk and walk and walk and when i reach the corner where i sleep when i got here a man appear giving me another red card an invite to another family, am in a rush so if you have ever decided to join us contact me, thats what he say to me, I just told him, I will think about it, he wave good bye and in a minute his gone.

As I sleep that night a question has come to my mind, after a small amount of time i leave this street, when Ii got back a big change has been seen all around the society, is there something wrong on it or I am the one that is wrong of what am i thinking?

Arf! Arf Arf! Arf! as he finish his barking

(translator) As KerryKing was asking please enlighten us more on this matter. Are we feeling the wrong thing or we are just in the wrong track of asking "What happen?".

Report Post Tip

Listening to everyone say their piece, Kerry cracks his knuckles one at a time before speaking.

"First off, I would like to thank everyone who replied, who tipped me, and who sent letters of approval and thanks for speaking about this. Also I apologize for my late response. I was enjoying the Halloween festivities, and subsequently catching up on my sleep. That being said, I think it would only be polite to address each reply here today. Additionally forgive me for only quoting segments of your replies."

I want people who think before making decisions. Who assess all their options and when they finally find a person who has impressed them enough to make them think, "well damn I wanna be in this guys crew," that they join them. These are the people I want around me. So if a crew "member whores" and these new recruits seem impressed enough to join them then all I see in that is removing people who wouldn't have worked out here in Brooklyn anyway. 

"Perrin, I think every crew leader and hand want members who think, so I certainly see your point. However, a person whose bloodline is new might think they have to get into a crew right away or risk being killed. This person might be a great asset to any establishment, yet was simply mislead. Perhaps not obviously, but in a more subtle way. Someone who might have been a great member, in let's say Brooklyn, was snatched up before they had a chance to make an informed decision. I am interested in your thoughts on this."

Though mainly I don't see how people are recruiting here as an issue and not something we need to fix in case the new blood learn these "bad" ways. If they come to Brooklyn they will learn better ways than what you have mentioned that you experienced. Really comes down to who you learn from.

"What about those who do not go to a family with recruiting standards? Wouldn't these "New Blood" learn those bad habits? They may learn correctly if they are taught correctly, but that doesn't seem to be the trend I'm seeing."

One last thing, I ask if you received any poor recruit requests from members in Brooklyn that you forward that mail to me personally. Sometimes all people need is a little reminder no one is perfect and in Brooklyn we like to guide our people the right way especially if they make mistakes.

"If I were in your shoes I would ask the same thing. I will say that one person from Brooklyn did approach me in such a way, but I have never been a rat, and would prefer not to name people individually."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must admit Kerry i have seen far worse recently with invites coming at one stage from a certain now dead philly left hand who will remain unnamed and then is reported to have told the people if they never joined it was seen as an insult to his family.  In another case as soon as another left hand who became a right hand mail everyone as they came of the boat.

"BackToShootPeeps, both my significant other and I were mailed as soon as we got off the boat by a crew leader who shall remain unnamed. It might be worse than you thought."

why? too many small families trying to grow or larger families with to many crew inactives.

"I have observed a huge increase in families since the last time my blood has been to this land. You seem to think this is a bad thing, I tend to agree so far. Although that may be a topic for another discussion."

Do i see it getting worse? yes as new crews will emerge in Detroit and Philly soon more people will look for new members.

Luckily for myself I wont have to experience this first hand again for some time, or at least I'm hoping." *Grins*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could say the times have changed but do not give up on the old ways. Ignore the one-liners and recruiting attempts just as i did and make sure the crew you want to join knows you have interest in them. A lot of other people still think that way and as long as those thoughts remain change can happen.

"Agreed Mugen, conceivably there is still room for the old school ways in this ever changing environment. Once again, I hope."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My ancestors have told stories where in crew leaders gets killed for not screening new recruits well and sending invitations without even talking to the recruit.

"I also remember these times bboydurante. Do you think things are changed for the better, or do you think the older ways should be implemented once more?"

There's a fine line between recruitment and the phrase we've coined as "whoring". In todays society there is a feeding frenzt when it appears new blood washes upon these shores. With a mix of excitement and necessity, families are more apt to approach a new Mafioso, knowing they'll need protection in this crazy world of ours.

"SaintAnthony, I don't think the line is that fine at all. In fact quite the opposite. For example, if someone did these jobs for a particular crew in excess and they were approached by a member of said crew, I can fully understand the reasoning and see that as recruiting. That is, of course, if they didn't extend an invite without establishing a conversation with the individual first. My main gripe is not with them, but rather those to welcome someone into a crew without any jobs done and not even a conversation. "Would you like to join our crew?" That would be an example of member whoring in my mind, and in the minds of a lot of people."

To sum up this discussion on my part, the world hasn't changed, parts of evolved, but just like the constant need to find food and to breed certain things will always be force of habit or rather instict. We can only hope we as Mafioso evolve as well.

"Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but things most definitely changed. Why should we give up so easily these things that we have held true for so long? Because the gods want it? That sounds like a piss poor excuse to me."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As i am walking and thinking a calling card has been thrown infornt of me with a name of a guy and it is a red card, an invite to a family,  I turn around and never seen his face nor talk to him and he just send an invite to me? what if am a spy or a traitor or a rogue or something that will make the family go down because of my attitude, he did not even know what is my bloodline if am a real Husky or am just having a costume and am a real Piitbull. I ignore it then started walking again, then I found the first manager i had work he ask me if i wanted to join them, i just say not now i need to think, but he give me a red card, a famly invite then told me if you ever change your mind and stay here just accept my invite. I am so confused that i dont know what to do i walk and walk and walk and when i reach the corner where i sleep when i got here a man appear giving me another red card an invite to another family, am in a rush so if you have ever decided to join us contact me, thats what he say to me, I just told him, I will think about it, he wave good bye and in a minute his gone.

As I sleep that night a question has come to my mind, after a small amount of time i leave this street, when Ii got back a big change has been seen all around the society, is there something wrong on it or I am the one that is wrong of what am i thinking?

"Husky, it seems like we had a similar experience. As for your question, questioning is the first step toward finding a solution. I rolled that in my mind for some time before standing up in the streets and voicing my thoughts. Maybe it's time for you to answer your own question."

Clearing his throat and taking a much needed sip from his flask, Kerry tips his hat and carries on with his evening routine, ever awaiting responses.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Have the Times Changed?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL