Get Timers Now!
X

May 12 - 20:37:37
Page:  1 
Role-Play Titbit #1 Started by: Awesome on Dec 20, '08 06:53
Today's role-play titbit will cover what is known as "Godmoding", named after the "God Mode" cheats available for a number of console games.

Godmoding, in role-play, has two significant meanings. The first of these is when you, as the writer, take on the role of a God. The second of these is when your character does the same. And by taking on the role of a God, what is meant is that one is assigning too much control and/or power to either oneself or one's character.

Firstly, let us examine the first. Unsurprisingly. And the most effective way for us to do this is with an example, and so here it is:

Awesome shoots at Squishy in the face, and the bullet blasts its way into and through Squishy's skull, leaving him pretty much horribly dead.

And what is wrong with this? Well, you are taking on too much control as a writer. You should control no other character but your own. And in this example, your character is Awesome. Not Squishy. The person whose character is Squishy might not appreciate you killing off his character without his permission. Now, if it was indeed the case that you shot and killed Squishy in-game, then this would be allowed. Because you would not be Godmoding; you did, indeed, shoot and kill Squishy. But for general role-playing, such control is considered unacceptable. Instead, the following would be more appropriate:

Awesome shoots at Squishy in the face, hoping for a hit.

This then allows for Squishy to decide how and if the bullet hits. As it is his character, it is he and he alone who decides upon its development and fate. Not yours.

Now we will examine the second meaning, again with an example:

Awesome is super-strong and super-smart and super-sexy. Oh, and did I mention that he is invincible?

In this example, you are allowing for your character to become a God; unrealistically awesome. Characters should not be perfect or free from weaknesses. They should have flaws. This is more realistic and makes it more fun for everybody else. Nobody likes it if another character is always winning. Allow for yourself to lose. Admit to not being awesome at everything. Admit to being anti-awesome at a lot. A good character is, and always will be, flawed. Even Dumbledore had his faults, after all.

And it should be added that this latter meaning of the term "Godmoding" does not apply to Awesome because he is, as his names proves, awesome.

Thank you, and good night.

- Awesome
Report Post Tip

And in this example, your character is Awesome.

Woooowwww gawps on in awe at the awesomity of Awesome
Report Post Tip
*tidbit
Report Post Tip
No. Titbit. I am British, not American. So, nyah!
Report Post Tip
What qualifies Dumbledore as the greatest literary character of all time?

And how could you possibly claim to be so awesome when you read Harry Potter and live on that side of the Atlantic?

Silly.
Report Post Tip
The greatest literary character of all time?

RourkeyRourke, the star of the Bible!
Report Post Tip
Just because you are British doesn't mean you get to misspell words.

Except Honour. I like that one.
Report Post Tip
Stabs Rudiger

DON'T YOU DARE INSULT ALBUS DUMBLEDORE IN FRONT OF ME.
Report Post Tip
Oh, and great lesson, Awesome. I hope to see many more of these in the near future!
Report Post Tip
"Awesome shoots at Squishy in the face, hoping for a hit"

How can you miss at point blank? :o
Report Post Tip
...where does it say its point blank? You do know you can shoot at someones face from further back than point blank...
Report Post Tip
That is great advice unless you are role playing a god... :/
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Role-Play Titbit #1
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL