Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 03:11:05
Page:  1 
The French Connection Started by: Cantona on Dec 06, '13 01:05

Two days ago, I received a rather urgent summons from my Godfather, Solastalgia, urging me to meet him and the other upper structure members in the Comme Ci, Comme Ca. Had you told me that summons would have culminated in a series events that ended with me not only as a District head, but as one of only 7 Godfathers, I'd have scarcely believed it.

My bloodline been around here longer than most, that's common knowledge really; but I have never hit these dizzying heights before. Honestly? I'm not sure I ever wanted to. I'm a 'sit in the shadows' kind of guy. I enjoy how the slanty suit fits my frame. I look good in it. That's not to say I'm not capable of being a leader, by God I am!

And yet, I don't feel as elated as I'm sure I should. My mind continues to wander to the funeral I have not yet talked myself into visiting, and I feel an awfully large shadow fall across me. I know I cannot whine; in wars there are casualties and as the aggressors we have no cause complaint.

But this should be Toberius' moment.

To think I only knew him for such a short time is staggering, our work as RHM and CL first in the Bronx all those months ago and then in North Side more recently was effortless and natural, and it is devastating to me that I should personally profit from his gross, gross misfortune. I could talk about this all day and not get any further along in fully describing the sense of loss and impotent fury I feel at the moment, so here's to Toberius. Toberius the Godfather, Toberius the Leader, and Toberius the friend. If I had a nifty little device to take me back in time and have me here congratulating the man on the Godfather speech he never had the chance to make; or Tommy on his bloodline's last hurrah as a mover and shaker - I would do it. No question. None at all.

Neverthless, a district and indeed the wider community will now look to me for leadership and answers and it would be pathetic and a dereliction of duty for me to wallow in regret over what might have been. We must look forward. This entire thing of ours must rebuild and Chicago's West Side will feel this as acutely as anyone after losing our Godfather and our first Captain, the only bold figures of authority we had. This rebuilding starts now.

Toberius' forebear was the man who created Dunder Mifflin, an incredible legacy which continues in the North Side today. It is not my place to appropriate this name. It is not my legacy to continue; the next chapter of Dunder Mifflin will be written another day. The French Connectionare now doing business in the West Side.

Toberius' legacy will not be forgotten, though. When I embarked on a temporary adventure in the Bronx in August it was Toberius who I selected as my number two. When I stepped down a month later I was very surprised when he returned the gesture by asking me to be his Right Hand Man in a permanent, 'real' crew. It was a relationship based not on a previous friendship, or coffeeshop banter; but on achievement, worthiness and pure respect - I would not be where I am without him. His appointment of Tommy, first as LHM and then as Captain, spoke of this same 'bigger picture' attitude that Toberius encapsulated. A man he never worked with before was given the best of opportunities; not for who he was but for what he did.

That is something that will continue in the West Side. JonnyTheRed will wear the slanty suit and step forward in a Consigliere role for me from time to time. It is a suit he has never worn but one he deserves the chance to after everything he has achieved.

More importantly, the Underboss who will handle day to day affairs in West Side is Mr. Philli_stein. He is another man who has never before attained he position he currently holds. This is irrelevant to me. He has conducted himself with effortless grace; his morals and his ability to act as a Leader are not in doubt. He is more than an auth, he is the beginning of a new legacy. The West Side will not be a district to make up the numbers, it will be a district that people talk about years later; reminiscing of a fond time when their great great grandpappy was given their first ever opportunity. My hope is that this district continues to grow, and my aim is that as it does there will be someone 'new' in the chain of command each time.

Finally, it would be remiss of me to not mention certain people. I don't want to turn this into an Oscar speech but I would like to thank the Godfathers who have consented to giving me this opportunity, and I would like to pay tribute to all those who didn't make it through the war - too numerous to list. Surprisingly perhaps, I would also like to doff my cap to our fallen foes. It is rare to face so many people for whom you have so much respect in such a short time. It's easy to be magnanimous in victory, but I had a genuine admiration for many of those on the opposite side.

Lastly, Solastalgia. It's perhaps one of the most bizarre, chain reaction auths you'll ever see, but it was Solastalgia who fought tooth and nail to get me to North Side, Solastalgia who authed Toberius into the West Side which eventually led to this, and Solastalgia who gave me the nod I wanted more than any others.

I'd say I'm sorry to waffle on, that would be a lie. I could talk the hind legs off a donkey, and I enjoy doing it too. It's been a tumultuous few days and I'm not one for brevity even when I have fuck all to say!

If you made it this far have a cookie. If you're a coeliac tough shit.

Report Post Tip

Nods reverently to His district Godfather.

I can't think of many I would rather see in your position, Cantona, as you've always shown with your words and deeds how solid an individual you are. You're a true pillar of this underground society, and I am more than pleased to congratulate you in this feat. May we all contribute what we can and make West Side amazing.

Report Post Tip
Knockaert hears some Gallic tones coming from the streets along with a chant he knows so well

Oh A Cantona
Singing Oh A Cantona.

Sacred Bleu Mon ami Cantona a fait à un tel grade estimé. Vous le méritez mon héros.

Cantona our blood lines go back over many many years they have served as CL and as RH for each other on countless occasions. Today I can say my ancestors are rejoicing to see you make it to the rank of Godfather you deserve this honour, your bloodline deserves this honour and its been a thoroughly long ride for you to the top.

Now you have made it there you can work on your footballing skills to be at least a match for my twinkle toes.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The French Connection
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL