Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 17:37:05
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Are YOU Good Enough For Auth? A Contest. Started by: Cantona on Dec 15, '13 21:34

AlexMoran, I would suggest that although she does not need to justify her actions to anyone her choice to do so could be beneficial in the long term. Indirectly. It also brings me nicely round to JohnSmiths reply.

Now, before I start, I will point out that my views on TokyoZombi finding associates is completely indifferent. I am picking up on the fact that people seem to believe that public perception is completely irrelevant.

JohnSmith has previously mentioned that he is frustrated by the lack of information coming forth on the ending of this competition. Frustration that I would imagine has led to a bit of resentment?

Fast forward a few months down the line John and you have been bestowed the rank of Godfather. You must now directly deal with the parties that are frustrating you now and those that you feel have not dealt with you, as a member of the general population, fairly.

Now at this point it's going to cause issues I don't give a fuck what you say. You will remember moments like these and it will always be in the back of your mind. If this man came to you, with a cry for help, would you be there in an instant? Would you react as quickly as if someone you respected and had treated you fairly in the past had come knocking?

Do not mistaken what I am saying as an 'We are all equal here guys, Let's hold hands' But what I am saying is that every action has a reaction. Even that moment 3 months where you fobbed off a Wise Guy. It is all relevant. You must recognise the time to talk and the time to sit back. Each are vital.

Public Perception is always important. If the public dislike you and do not trust anything you say you're in trouble. I understand that this world is built entirely on respect of the rank you hold. That goes without saying. But you disregard how you are viewed in these Streets and it will come back to bite you on the arse. The history of this world show that usually, and there are exceptions, those regarded well in The Streets get better opportunities and are far more respected than those who refuse to interact and look down their nose on those that they are meant to lead.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Well,I would also like to start off by saying that I am also indifferent to the views TokyoZombi has about associates. Furthermore, the way the public views you is quite important especially now with the BG cap(Yes, I realize the cap has been around for some time) means that you cannot get more than a certain amount of protection irrespective of the amount of money you own. 

However, the act I take issue to is some no-name C telling a Crew Leader how to act. Sure, you can believe that you need to kiss ass even when you're a Godfather who has a district insanely loyal to him, a gun with 1000 kills and the maximum number of BGs possible...but when you're an Earner and you're attempting to tell a Crew Leader 'zomg,stop being somean,mkay?He could keel you someday!' I will take offence and I will step in. 

Now that I have established my motivation for my previous comment, I will address the points you've raised, Brendan. 

Yes, it will stay in the back of my head if someone was to offend me. Yes, I probably won't be as quick to help him/her out in a time of need IF I had the ability to delay help but...if I was to think of how I am going to offend someone with words in the Streets or even words in private and how it could bite me in the arse..I would probably be paralyzed with fear. I am confident in my abilities, some might even call me reckless. It is this confidence that means I will probably look down my nose at anyone I find to be crossing some sort of line I would prefer he/she didn't cross.

If this hastens my death..so be it. I'd rather be remembered as a person who lived the way I believe a man should live. Instead of being an overtly cautious man who would never say anything to anyone because he thought 'what if this person got GF in a couple months?!?!'

I would assume that TokyoZombi believes in the same principle, if my interaction with her and her words in the Streets are any indicator.

A time to talk and a time to sit back? Sure. I don't see Tokyo or myself even..pulling rank on someone on every single debate we have been involved in... she sat back until now and now she spoke. Or am I missing something here?

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

It appears like since the leader who had the most votes in the contest was relocated to a city outside of the contest, several people are upset with the outcome. Also, other developments have occurred, causing leaders to step down or get killed. Even though we all have our reactions to these events, demanding a play-by-play as to what happened as if this was sports radio reeks of entitlement.

I have never heard of any contest that reveals everything that goes on "backstage" during the contest. Has it crossed anyone's minds that talking about any of the coveted details of what transpires in Staten Island may have an effect on those still in the district? Or perhaps some of us are so caught up in proving the validity of an idea that we can't take an objective step back and think?

Out of those who are demanding answers to their own satisfaction, did any of you write a mail to your local Godfather in the same tone that is being used out here in the streets? If you want answers, instead of yelling out here, why not make a direct inquiry, and again, to tell them in the same tone that the people have the right to know what has happened? I think it is easier to call out a group of people than to directly address someone one-on-one.

One of the Godfathers has already said that yes, one crew was removed, and he looked forward to see how the other crews will do. Since this announcement we have seen the loss of another leader, as well as an explanation. But from what I have heard, this still isn't good enough for some. Does Roquelaure moving back to the Chicago's Suburbs or Telkin stepping down have an effect on your livelihood, or your families? If not, I fail to see the urgency of reporting the minute details as they occur.

As for the way one should conduct him or herself in the streets, no I don’t believe that earners should have sarcastic remarks towards that of a Godfather. This is why some say that the words of those who aren’t Made do not hold as much weight, because they do not yet know of our ways, nor have strong ties to them. To put yourself into a mind of a Godfather (or crew leader) and presume you know exactly what to do is a bit presumptuous.  Also, Made Men (and women) should know how to conduct themselves, and set an example for those who are not. There are not many people who seem to care about street conduct and behavior nowadays – it’s good to see that some people still do care.

For people who claim to be against said contest because getting authed should not be based on popularity, some of you are doing a heck of a job disrespecting those who were authed in the “traditional way” to run things as they see fit. Like a few people have said, there is nothing wrong in being inquisitive, just the way that some have chosen to satisfy their curiosity.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Oh Certainly Alex. I didn't doubt you reasons for bringing the subject up. The behaviour displayed by some members of this community has been questionable in the manner it has been delivered. But alas. That will be addressed behind doors as it should be I would imagine. A quick rebutle in the Streets by an upstanding member of the community will also help them to understand there errors however.

As for your comments. I entirely agree with you in regards to being scared of your own shadow and probably did not make it entirely clear. Walking through life assuming everyone will kill you in later days is no way to live and no way to build a legacy of which to be proud of. Obviously if someone steps across your mental line then addressing them in a derogatory manner is entirely justified if your believe what you are saying is correct. I was aiming that comment more at those that look down their nose at anyone with an opinion because are below you. A silent Made Man will be respected for his rank but that does not mean I will always respect their views. Just like a Thug who speaks eloquently within these Streets can raise their level of respect beyond something that adorns the bottom of your shoes. I think that is a key difference.

Incidentally, you are missing nothing. I responded more to the general comment of her not having to reply and not how or why she replied here. Much like yourself. I wasn't instigating that you or Tokyo were acting in a disrespectful manner.

Report Post Tip

I completely agree with you Brendan. There is a difference between showing up at a black tie event with your best suit on or in your most tattered rags. You dress for the part, you act for the part. If DeanWinchester had come to the streets and presented his opinion gracefully I wouldn't have had a problem with the way he expressed his concerns. It didn't happen that way so I asked for him to put in a bit more effort next time. That's not me asking him to never speak on the streets again. I would never be able to stand behind that, to dismiss someone from the streets. DeanWinchester came back, spoke to us once more. This time to tell us he can breeze through the ranks as if they mean nothing, so I explained to him what the rank earner means. What you get with it if you would like to conduct yourself at the bare minimum or less. 

To me, rank means something. I don't know how many have decided that it means little to me and that the people within my crew mean even less. If I held the people under made man within my own crew as just numbers, as just people to pay for my protection, I would be going against everything I stand for. I encourage my members to be above average, to not fit the general opinion of each rank they represent. I want to give them an environment that challenges them, to make every day not seem the same. Each person is handled individually and not one can be compared to the other. I appreciate the members I have right now and the ones I will have in the future. I'm not a leader without any members, I'm nothing without them. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $69,666 Tip
TokyoZombi,
Knowing Sycamore personally, I'd venture to say that the two of you are actually more in agreement on the matter than it would seem from this interaction. I agree with what your RHM Kilgore said regarding associates, and in many cases the whole "know your role" aspect of the associate title is often lost on people. If you wanted to make a parallel to the game of chess, associates are the pawns. They are on the frontlines, sometimes expendable for lack of a better term, but at the same time an intricle part of a crew. And while an associate should know their place in the Mafia, if they can convey an opinion in an intelligent manner that is not disrespectful, they should be able to. I don't mean you have to sound like a pansy-ass about it, but it can be done.

One thing I find strange is when a person of a lower rank addresses a Godfather or a member of a higher rank with a question, they feel as though they are entitled to an answer from that Godfather. It is not incumbent of that Godfather to respond directly to a low-ranker if he or she doesn't wish to. Some respond anyway, others choose not to. Either option is clearly their right.

I think the frustration (or whining as it has inappropriately been labeled as of recently) stems from when there is no public explanations given to events that effect, change, or transform our community. A street announcement from a Godfather or any upper-echelon of This Thing of Ours isn't just to appease those adversely effected by a move or change. It gives everybody, including one's own family or crew, something to go by other than blind faith. If it's an unpopular move, as certain aspects of this Auth Contest have been, why not try and sell the masses on the fact that it was a sound idea? Expecting your people, be it a Don or a lowly gangster, to follow blindly doesn't instill any loyalty. At the end of the day, regardless of rank, people are people and to expect anything other than human nature to take its course is foolish of any leader. Leaders can spray paint a piece of dogshit gold and hand it to their members or the community as a whole, but at the end of the day, it's still a piece of dogshit. A leader that can come out to the streets with a handful of stinky, brown-colored unpainted dogshit and make the public say "Wow, this is some pretty good dogshit we've got here... thank you..." has truly succeeded. That's what has been lacking recently and that is what the public outcry (whining?) has been about.

At least try and sell it. You'd be surprised how many people will buy your dogshit if you can convince them it's worth accepting.

Or, let people come up with their own reasoning as to why certain things are transpiring in the world around them and then ostracize the public for feeding the rumor mill.

I for one had a relative who wasted his life in a city, albeit one of the more powerful cities in recent times, blindly following a guy who he did not believe in. There's a shelf life on that kind of loyalty.

So don't feel obligated to give a reason for an event out of obligation to the "whiners", give one for the people you are looking to inspire or instill confidence in, the people you want believing you know what the hell you're doing.

Or of course, don't. Like I said, either is your right.

As a disclaimer, I'm speaking in general. Not (necessarily) to the original speaker's topic at hand.

Report Post Tip

Sycamore turns to AlexMoran

"I did not say anything about how TokyoZombi finds associates as I couldn't comment on that unless someone from Dunder Mifflin Paper Company had tried to recruit me when I was unattached which they didn't. Also my I get some clarification on who the no-named C comment is aimed at?"

He turns to Brendan

"I agree with everything you have said and this world is based on respect which I hold dearly to my heart. I have the utmost respect for everyone as long as they show me the same respect that I offer them.

Biase I know you are talking to us all in general in regards to the Staten Island contest but I will answer what you have said from my perspective. I don't think I am entitled information, yes it would be nice to know and as I have previously said the lack of information may cause issues for future contests that the Godfather Council may run. Have I wrote to my local Godfather no I haven't and will I write to him? No I won't when it comes to respect and boundaries I feel as a new earner to the Suburbs I personally think it would be disrespectful to approach my Godfather that I don't know and ask questions. I know but I am out here on the streets doing the same thing, yes in a way I am but at no point have I gone to the highest rooftop demanding answers.

TokyoZombi thank you for coming back here and clearing up what you said, if you thought I disrespected you I apologise but being an Earner I felt I needed clarification on your views on us. As Sandman has said I know the job description and position as an Earner and know that I am not held in same regards as someone that has earned their button.

As Sandman has also said it is down to each person on if they want to respond to certain things but communication is a great tool and can be used to great effect if used properly.

Report Post Tip

Aaaah Sycamore, I apologize for not attending to this earlier. I wasn't 'watching' this particular thread but a very kind mail from DeanWinchester brought me back to my senses. Anyway, the no-name C comment is aimed at anyone who isn't a Made Man or someone with enough power to dictate to a Crew Leader how he/she should trying to do exactly that....dictating to a Crew Leader how she should act.

So...if the shoe fits,wear it?

Report Post Tip
So cryptic Alex, say what you mean, if you want to call me a name call me it, but I haven't had anyone call me into the office to have a chat about what I have said so far.
Report Post Tip

Aaaaah, you don't like the cryptic wording? Sweet. I called you a no-name C. Still think you are one. Hope that clears it up.

As for the comment about nobody talking to you about what you've said so far...well, I guess Roquelaure and I have different lines with respect to Street conduct. Nothing more.Nothing less.

Report Post Tip
*Roquelaure listens to everyones opionions even more and has been conscious of everything going on. Suddenly hearing something she looks over at AlexMoran.*

So because I'm a leader here I can come out here and call u a c?? No.. Its one not my style and two regardless of rank, who or hell even if they are a bum sleeping on the street I wouldnt go there.

Now as far as myself and my members and their disciplen that I chose (as far as discussion or not and respect in these streets) perhaps goes on behind closed doors with those that were spoken to. Tokyo Zombi and I go very far back in ancestory. Please don't think for a moment that one she wouldn't either let it be VERY well know here in the streets as well as with me (if it referred to one of my members) that she was angry or disrespected with something said.

Infact I happen and I can say she does as well think that her and Sycamore happen to be on the same page on many views.. Perhaps something got lost in translation at a point but at the same point it was clarified.
Report Post Tip
Let me start off by saying, acting high and mighty doesn't make you better than anyone else. A lack of respect while speaking about how this world is built off of it? Right.

Also, major events happened in this "contest", events that should be explained since people were GIVEN fucking auth for raising their hands when the public was asked. I'm failing to see why it's such a big fucking deal to explain the reasons this "contest" is all but dead.

One more thing, don't walk around here acting like rank means a fucking thing. It's something that's given to besties, given based solely off bloodlines, kin are lured to cities solely based off promises of being next in line RIGHT OFF THE FUCKING BOAT! Rank? Fucking laughable that we think any rank should hold weight in this world. It matters to you? Well join the 1%....
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Are YOU Good Enough For Auth? A Contest.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL