Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 15:15:10
Page:  1 
Patience and Perseverance Started by: Blaise on Jan 04, '14 01:37

As Blaise went back to her headquarters, she thought a lot about what Swamp_Rat said earlier as they were ice-skating. Her mother, and her mother before that, had passed stories down to their children in order to teach them a lesson on how to behave and conduct themselves. Blaise’s parents had told her similar stories as a young girl, and she had enjoyed them very much. As she got older however, the stories changed slightly. These new stories were meant to prepare her for the hard life that she had ahead of her.

Reading a letter that was placed on her desk, she sighed. “When will these members realize that just because they want something, it doesn’t mean that they will get it?”

Blaise shared her story among friends that evening as they shared a bite to eat at a local restaurant. “Okay guys – I have a story of my own to tell…want to hear it?” Her friends nodded eagerly and listened to her as they ate and drank.

Once upon a time, there was a young woman named Jacqueline Beth Kelly. Her boyfriend had introduced Jackie to a life of crime by taking her around places where the locals would hang out. Jackie would sit around and look pretty as her boyfriend conducted his business. However, the boyfriend was not very smart, and one day he got into a car with several associates, and was never seen again. Having no way to survive the mean streets, Jackie was forced to take shelter with the very people who were responsible for her boyfriend’s death.

After she became a member, she found that her new family was patient and kind. As she moved up in the ranks, she got to know more family members. She liked the feeling that the family gave her; so much that she started a journal about her adventures. Unfortunately, that feeling was short-lived, for one day she came home to find that her headquarters were no more. Apparently, another crime syndicate had saw fit to wipe them out, for her family were authorized to set up by another recently fallen leader. This made Jackie sad; she was afraid she would never see her friends again. Luckily, several people had sought her out because they had managed to get out and find shelter in another family. Jackie had to start over, but now she wouldn’t have to be alone.

Several weeks had passed, and Jackie had progressed significantly. She had started off working as an assistant to a Capo Regime, which was someone she used to know from the old family. Eventually her hard work granted her promotion to a Capo Regime, and she had her very own crew to run. She still had the respect of her old crew, so it was as if she was running two crews. Her old, as well as new family was happy about her success. But there was one thing that troubled her.

“Why can’t I get Made?”

Only her closest friends knew of her concerns, for she had seen first-hand about the politics involving getting the coveted rank. If you were liked, but not necessarily hard-working, you were guaranteed a promotion. If you were not liked, your promotion was in doubt. After Jackie saw a friend who was in hot water with their superiors a few weeks prior get promoted, she asked her how she did it. “I really don’t know Jackie – all I did was go to their office and offer cookies and some beverages, and say a few kind words.”

Both of the girls were sad, for they knew how hard Jackie was working to get noticed. After an unfortunate incident of blackmail done by a family member with threats to her person, she was even more determined to work hard so she could get her desired rank. She had already started associating herself with the family’s Underbosses, and they would give her words of encouragement, as well as suggestions on how to effectively manage her crew.

One day, she was surrounded by several family members.

“You did it!”

“Congratulations!”

“You silly goose, I just thought you weren’t doing any jobs outside headquarters – how did you get to be a Boss?”

After Jackie celebrated with her friends and had a moment to herself, she realized that she was held for several ranks. Despite that, she still had worked hard, and her patience and perseverance had finally paid off.

Later in her life, Jackie was promoted to the coveted position of Underboss, one of several within the family. She spent the rest of her days overseeing her crew’s daily routine, and helped others when they needed it.

Blaise took several sips from her glass, and placed it on the table. “This story has been passed down from generation to generation. Every time I feel like I am working hard, but not getting anywhere, I think of my ancestor and how hard she had to work in order to get results. I hope you all can take something from this tale.”

She picked up a fork and started to eat, for her food was getting cold.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $120,000 Tip
* Trevor rolled his eyes after eating this long speech

"Who gives a fuck?? Haha do you just like to hear yourself talk about pointless shit. Seriously my
Farts are more interesting than this . Possibly more helpful too

* Trevor walks back and yells finally what a waste of life!! * he then pulls out his meth pipe and smokes
Report Post Tip
*Swampie links her arm in Blaise's, and walks for a bit.*

Thank you for sharing that with us. It does take alot of hard work and determination to make it in this world. There are many who give up too easily, and others who expect things too soon.
Report Post Tip

Cody is listening to the story Blaise is telling and it kind of reminds him of the way he got started in this life. 

Blaise wonderful story thank you so much for sharing it. I look forward to your next story 

Report Post Tip

Philli listens to the wise words of another mobster who made their way the same way he had. He approaches Blaise with a small smile.

"That's a good story, and sound advice. I too lived through the death of my crew leader, not once, not twice, but three times. People have told me that I should have "gone down with the ship", but I disagreed. People have told me that i should have tried to shoot those who destroyed my families, and gain revenge. My goal was revenge, but never the way they suggest. I have outlived all of the leaders who killed my crew leaders, and now i stand in their positions. I'd say thats a pretty good revenge, knowing that i'm still here, and that they wear cement shoes.

So patience is a virtue i preach, because it got me to where i am today."

Report Post Tip

Kilgore stood, somber, the Chesterfield King hanging listlessly from the corner of his mouth. He watched as the lift-arm of his Park Sherman lighter flailed uselessly, like some stupid karate chopping brass robot. He muttered at it in the noncommittal way one does when faced with a minor annoyance they're constantly plagued with, yet too lazy to fix. Finally, his apathetic persistence was rewarded with a weak flame that burned just long enough to lightly singe the business end of his cigarette, turning it into a wispy smoldering amber. He puffed hurried, short drags out of the thing until it stoked into a somewhat even burn. 

He looked up to the faces around him, with that sort of see-I'm-not-so-drunk-after-all grin as he choked a bit on the smoke.

Hey, speaking of perseverance... 

He took the first worthwhile drag on his smoke and sat for a paused for a moment of fleeting satisfaction.

A big problem I notice in folks these days-- here, there, in general --is that a lot of 'em seem to get confused about the difference between earning something and deserving something. "Oh, why ain't I got this? I earned it." Or, "Gimme that, I deserve it," they say. The news is this: earning is subjective and deserving is bullshit.

He heaved out a habitual sigh, by way of punctuation.

First off, you can only earn something if somebody's willing to give it to ya.  It ain't a simple transaction. Anybody can go down to the market and buy some eggs, but you're not entitled to 'em. You don't earn the eggs just for gettin' to the marked and having thirty-five cents in yer pocket. Maybe the grocer decides he's gonna sell his eggs for forty cents. That's his price to name and you gotta pay it,or else you're gonna have a shitty breakfast. 

So you get to a certain point in your life and you feel you earned somethin' good for yourself? Yeah, you and everybody else, bub. But the question is, who's gonna give it to ya? What's their price for it? 

Puffing again on the cigarette, he let the smoke dance from his lips as he entertained his next thoughts.

Now deserving... that's simple. You don't. You can think as highly about yourself as you want, but you don't deserve a damn thing. Entitlement is a lazy concept. It's all looking for someone to give you what you want, without the messy process of earning it. Remember what I said before? There's a price. You can break your ass working hard day and night, but if you don't know how to get what you're after, none of that work means nothin' in the long run.

He took one last feigned drag from his smoke before subconsciously stubbing it out.

Yes, patience and perseverance are great and powerful qualities to possess in this world, no matter what you do. But you have to know how and where to apply them to make them work for you. All the waitin' and pep-talkin' in the world ain't gonna make nobody drop a hundred dollar bill at your feet. You gotta see where the money's goin'. And you gotta be there when it comes.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

WhereWasI looks at Philli_Stein,

"Just asking, but if an enemy didn't care enough to make sure you died do you really think that outliving them is an effective revenge? How can you possibly know that you being alive slights them at all unless they've stated this seeing as they already passed on you? It can be called many things... but not revenge."

WhereWasI turns to Kilgore,

"That was probably one of the most well thought out responses I've seen from another in a week. I honestly only spoke up because of your response and despite a disagreement on some of the wording there is no denying a much deeper level of thought into your words than those of most in these types of conversations and I just wanted to thank you for actually thinking through a response. I can't believe we're at a point where I feel it necessary to thank another man in the streets for putting a good bit of thought in a discussion... but thank you."

Report Post Tip
well, if running for the hills everytime my city gets attacked does for you, i shall take note and do it more often. well done, phil.
Report Post Tip

I'm pretty sure during one of your self-preservation stints Philli_Stein you were the RHM to a crew leader and rather then make any attempt to avenge his death you selfishly put your own life ahead of his and in Louies well said words "ran for the hills."

A lot is said of loyalty in this world of ours, and is one of the things I hold most dear myself. Now I don't expect that any mobster should have blind loyalty, but then again you weren't exactly just another recently recruited mobster, you were his RHM..and you still deserted? How would you feel if your crew all joined the other side during the next war, after all you've set a great precedence as crew leader as every man for himself now really. Sorry, I mean getting revenge by outliving them. 

Patience is important no doubt, but sometimes fortune favours the bold. Not getting promoted? Ask your crew leader what you need to do to make the next rank. Most won't shoot you for asking questions like that and will like the ambition. Whether that's giving you more important roles, highlighting your poor donations in relation to others of the next rank or asking you to be more vocal around the head quarters. And if you feel like you're being held back despite meeting the requirements and others within your crew are..then unlucky with your choice. 

Report Post Tip

Blaise excused herself from the table so that she could freshen herself up at the restroom. Unfortunately, as she got up she knocked over her glass, spilling her White lady all over the place including her dress. Sighing as she heard the glass shatter on the floor, a waitress assured her that everything would be fine. Swamp_Rat took her arm and helped her to the restroom, where she was able to clean herself up.

When Blaise walked and sat back down at the table, she noticed that more people had gathered around, and they were discussing various points of her story.

"Well Phil, my ancestor wasn't worried about revenge so much. She wasn't even sure what had taken place until her some of her old family members had gotten her safe passage into a new headquarters. But I do understand how some people would be motivated to work hard to avenge the fallen. Sometimes the feelings of betrayal and the need for vengeance are so strong that it can carry on to the next generation."

Just then, another round of drinks were brought to the table. Blaise took her glass of White Lady, and sipped it as she listened to Kilgore speak. A small smile or perhaps a smirk formed on her lips, but was covered by her glass, when he talked about entitlement. She was glad that he brought that point up, because it was something she felt that was all too common nowadays.

"I think people who are the ones giving something, are able to say that someone has earned the right to receive something. Also, those who are the position to receive something, will say that they deserve to receive such. But as you said, it is up to the one who has something to give to decide whether one has earned the right to do or possess something.

This reminds me of an analogy that I heard once. There is a difference between working hard and working smart. Suppose if you are on the first floor of a building, and you desire to go to the second floor. You walk around the first floor, looking inside every room. You start to jog, thinking that you aren't moving fast enough. Those who are standing nearby may say, 'Oh, look how hard that person is working to get to the second floor!'"

Blaise paused to take another sip of her drink. She noticed that the drink was stronger this time, which meant that the person who made the previous drink was trying to save a few pennies at their expense. She made a mental note to investigate the matter - she did not provide the place with her protection only to get slighted.

"But then someone else comes in, and notices a flight of stairs that leads to the second floor, and walks up to reach his destination. Did you work hard to try to get to where you wanted to go? Perhaps, but now you look like an idiot because someone who worked smarter used his brain power to get to where he wanted to go."

She turned to Desmand, and nodded, showing that she agreed with what was being said.

"Absolutely - you should never be afraid to have a talk with your boss as to what you could do to advance. However, my ancestor was accused of sending a mail to the right hand of the family for the sole point of asking for rank. This was not true, for to her knowledge, had never communicated with the person before. She was encouraged by her Capo Regime to talk with the upper structure, but the lack of communication and consequent actions that followed put a damper on things."

Report Post Tip

Cody walks to the table and sits beside Blaise and grins at her as she is giving him a what the hell do you think you are doin look. 

I have to agree with the majority hear with what they are saying. Blaise the work smarter not harder routine is smart if you think about it. I mean if you work so hard that it kills you in doin so how is that fair and how can you enjoy the fruits of your labor. 

I think that talkin to any crew leader about ranking and things of that nature should be done with caution and with the utmost respect. I think that if you are talkin to your leader about rank and how to achieve rank then you need to be able to put in the work and not be doin things that you are not supposed to do. I know that the leaders set standards for how to achieve ranks so and the members should be given a copy or it should be posted somewhere for them to have access to it. 

Cody grabs a glass of Lady White and chugs it and then smirks at Blaise as he gets up and walks off 

Report Post Tip

First off, thrilling story. The setting is something that has happened to almost every bloodline running around here and speaking from my journals, quite a few times in my blood's case. 

Wellll, patience and perseverance is it? Not very 'grab the bull by the balls' is it? Personally, I don't agree with the 'moral' of this story. I,for one, don't think you should be waiting silently and quietly hoping that the higher ups would notice your hard work. Try looking for ways out of this Family, if they aren't going to notice your hard work...well, they sure as fuck don't deserve it. Now, I'm not saying you should march in and demand a transfer. That WILL get you shot or at least, in my version of a perfect world, it should. 

What I am trying to say is...bide your time.Yes, I realize that this involves patience but not the patience that Blaise seems to be aiming for. While Blaise seems to be thinking of waiting until the work is noticed..I say, fuck it...just wait for when the moron who passed you over is at his weakest and then strike. At least, the moment before he dies, he will know he shouldn't have been a cunt who disregarded your work.

Why do I say this?The people in power or not always nice people who legitimately value hard work...they are not people who want the best for you. There is the very real possibility that you are dealing with an asshole who is holding you back simply for a few laughs and to watch you squirm in discomfort as everyone around you seems to be moving on up in the world.

Now, Kilgore makes a very interesting point about earning and deserving things. Frankly, I am not really sure how to feel about that set of opinions. While I do agree that entitlement is a very lazy concept... I also feel that one can effectively earn and deserve something. However, it is in the mind of an individual whether they have earned or deserved the promotion, new HQ..what the fuck ever..so, I guess an argument can be made that it doesn't matter what you think?

Well, this world is shaped by what people think. Yes, the thoughts and opinions of some people matter more than most . Now if the thought of entitlement is enough to put a gun in the hand of a mobster and send him on a shooting spree...it should matter somewhere, shouldn't it? or am I missing something here?

Finally, to Philli_Stein's boast about how he survived the deaths of not one, not two but THREE families!(Can you believe it,chaps? Guy must be a lucky charm of some sort..in reverse) I honestly do not believe running in the face of a threat to your Family and then getting a HQ and then boasting about it constitutes as revenge. Maybe, I am missing something here too? Maybe you were working for a leader(3x) who didn't reward your hard work. In which case, Kudos! You have achieved your revenge on both the meansie pants CL(3x) and the guys who killed them.

Report Post Tip

Ah...

The lines in the corners of Kilgores face drew tighter, tugging his features into an expression that can most suitably be described as 'oddly warm'.

I realize now that I had left a few unfinished thoughts hanging in the air. I thank you, AlexMoran, for helping to fill some of the gaps rather nicely. Admittedly, my viewpoints run the risk of getting a bit messy, semantically speaking, once you dig down past the roots. Keeping in mind that we aren't here to argue phrasing, but ideas, I'll take a moment to set some definitions which I hope we can agree on for the sake of this conversation and get on with the brass tacks. Now, I understand that some of these concepts are more complex than teenage drama, but we'll have to strip them down to their simplest form so we can be assured that we're all talking about the same thing. So here goes:

Earning-- Being deemed qualified to receive something by the person in the position to give it. You earn an allowance, you earn a paycheck, you earn a promotion.

Deserving-- This is the idea that you're entitled to receive something because, oh golly gee, you just feel so darn good about yourself. The catch here is that you're still reliant on a second party to provide it.

Those are my definitions based on the first-person perspective. Though, if you're this guy's boss, you may view them as one in the same. You see this guy breaking his ass day in and day out, you wanna give him a bump in salary, sure-- he earned it, he deserves it, whatever. But my point is that when you start applying these words to your own situation, that's when they start to become dangerous.

With those two ideas wrapped up tightly, it makes room for a third concept that I had omitted from my earlier statement. It's the much beloved "grab the bull by the balls", as you put it. Doing for yourself and taking what you want, without allowing anyone else to be in the position to judge whether or not you should have it.

Sure, actions can be spurred by a sense of entitlement, but entitlement in itself doesn't get you a goddamned thing. But actions can. Say some schmo does get fed up for not receiving enough handouts and he starts plugging people. If he knocks the right heads, he absolutely can get what he wants. Not because he deserved it, but because he fucking took it. That's just good Business sense. You're not gonna get ahead by sitting in one place and wishing. Or if you do, it's gonna come with dirty lips and a lot of strings attached.

Report Post Tip

Well, while those may not be the exact words I would have put the definitions into,but I believe we are very much on the same page regarding what the two words mean. However, I don't really agree with the sentiment that entitlement does nothing..per se. Now, while it may not do anything to harm the 'big picture' without any affirmative action to back up the entitlement,there are quite a few ways the little details may be affected courtesy of this belief that oneself is entitled to something greater.

Have you ever felt entitled to something? Well, I have. I have found that whenever I feel like I deserve something, I tend to get quite bitter when I don't receive it. I tend to try and nitpick the actions of those who have gotten the promotion,HQ etc over me. I tend to not give a rats ass about my work. I grow slack. Now, seeing as I have a certain amount of experience with people who feel they deserve a certain thing,thanks to me being the Right Hand Man to Dripple.. I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that most people do tend to do the same things

These 'things'(for want of a better word)...especially the last two cannot be called actions because they are..by nature..the lack of any actual action.So, we can conclude that entitlement causes people to do these 'things'? How does it affect things? Well, if a Wise Guy who felt entitled to his button in the heat of a war was to be a proer for a hitter who may very well turn the tide of said war...do you think he would try as hard to protect aforementioned hitter? I'd think not. 

So,while entitlement by itself cannot do much..unrequited entitlement can do quite a lot even with the absence of actual..actions? I would say so.

Report Post Tip

Good point, well taken. One that opens the door to the rich complexities that underlie the slick veneer of our business world.

I had overlooked the natural human proclivity for that sort of passive-aggressive manipulation -- 'shitbagging', where I come from -- because I was positing a reformation of sorts, hung upon the mechanism of my own ideals. But idealization, as Ayn Rand may someday tell you, is just a dress-up word for dumb shortsightedness. So this must be addressed.

It's a sad irony in our world that those that strike out on their own and make something for themselves, through their own individual efforts, are the ones that later come to rely on other people the most. After all, once you claw your way to the top, you need something to be on top of, right? As with any hierarchical structure, the twist is that the leaders are largely at the mercy of those who follow them.   

Your example, sir, is one that I will concede probably does come up quite often. You've got an associate that feels entitled to more than he's got, and as a result his loyalty to the cause suffers. Though, if that's the case, one might wonder if his loyalty from the start wasn't questionable, at best. Lacking either balls, resources, or vision to take action, he goes the opposite direction. Now his crewleader is stuck with the option of endlessly placating the heel-dragger in question with rewards he or she doesn't feel they have earned, or running the risk of this apathetic tantrum having major repercussions throughout the inner workings of their organization.

The man shakes his head and offers a sad smile.

Politics. Even when they're shitty, I still gotta love 'em.

Of course, the third option is just to cut the dead weight and shoot the sadsack bastard, but there's no easy answer in a situation like that. Each individual occurrence must be carefully weighed and consider as it comes, and you gotta do what you gotta do to get by. Oftentimes this life boils down to the choice between compromising to succeed, or failing with principle. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Patience and Perseverance
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL