Get Timers Now!
X

May 04 - 05:23:05
Page:  1 
Musings of a Wise Guy Started by: Danger on Jan 21, '14 22:06

Danger strolls through the streets. Finding a crowded corner she clears her throat loudly.

Hello. Good day and such.

So I will get straight to the point. I was traveling along the docks a few times since I joined this way of life. I wanted to see who could potentially be working alongside me. So curiosity got the better of me and I was walking along and happened to notice people wearing tags with lines such as "Make me your best offer" and other versions of the same sentiment.

So I got to thinking, when did it become right for people to expect an offer? Do we as a community no longer think it is you who should be trying to offer a crew leader something in return for shelter? Isn't it you that should be looking to make an impression and not the crew leaders who have worked their way up the ladder to get to where they are?

In order to claim respect you have to work yourself up the ladder. It means working your ass off for a good majority of people. You put in blood, sweat and tears to make money to send up to your crew leader. You gain their respect through your efforts. Whether it is the streets, business districts, business meetings with dealers etc. Either way you need to work to move along the ranks.

I'm just curious when did civilians come off the boats with expectations? Are we entering the Silver Platter Era? As far as I can see they have not worked to gain respect or move up into the ranks yet. So what gives them the right to demand offers?

Pausing to drink from a flask at her hip. Screwing the cap back on before she started again.

These are just a few of my thoughts. Do you have any to offer on the subject?

Stepping back Danger opens the area for discussion.

Report Post Tip
I personally haven't come across this but I have heard about it so I can't comment on when it started to happen but I can comment on why I think it is happening.

We now have a lot more crew leaders/family heads. So Joe Bloggs comes off the boat and is approached by a few mobsters 6 or so mobsters all trying to obtain their services. How does Joe Bloggs decide if he doesn't know anyone sell themselves to the highest bidder.

Should it be this way I don't believe so. Would I ever offer somebody money or other perks to get them on my books? No chance.

Can I see this changing in the future? No, new recruits know they are in demand and are exploiting the situation. We can't blame them for that can we?
Report Post Tip

The finest product of havana between his teeth, and his hat pulled to it's usual point low on his brow, Philli steps up to shake the hand of the young speaker.

"I have two things to say. First, I applaud your speech, on its merits for speaking. You are clearly well spoken, but also not afraid to press the envelope when you feel the need. This level of speech is what should be aspired too."

Taking the cigar and stepping back to observe the day, Philli continues.

"As to the question you pose, in the grand scheme of things, This world has changed in some fundamental ways in recent times. My family line is relatively new, but they were around when you had to really work for your first invitation, and then, you were a scum level associate.

Nowadays, With many bloodlines well established, it seems that too many people are riding the family names to get to points of power. Perhaps this is no good thing, But I for one would like to believe that some of those bloodlines have the good sense to know that they will work for every inch, and that there is no other way.

To those with the "make your best offer" tags. Those people, I'm just not interested in. I  don't feel that someone I would have to buy is worth my time. If they want to talk, and are willing to work, I may invest in them. but not until I see some worth."

His piece said, Philli resumes puffing his cigar and continues on his way, nodding to the speaker, and smiling as he dissapears around a corner.

Report Post Tip

Turning her attention first to Sycamore she smiles at her friend.

You raise a good aspect that I honestly hadn't thought of. Maybe it is because I wouldn't think of exploiting crew leaders in order for them to recruit me. Maybe as a hard worker I prefer to earn what I get and not slide by with hand outs. It saddens me to see that civilians feel they can get away with this behavior.

Next she turns her attention to Philli_stein.

I appreciate hearing from a crew leader's point of view. It is nice to know not everyone wants members that feel entitled. The entitlement of civilians is what bothers me. It seems relatively selfish in my opinion. I suppose they have to be because no one is looking out for them until they have joined a family but at the same time it is irritating to see. At least that is to me.

Report Post Tip

Ronald carefully considers what the other speakers gathered have expressed. He removes his bright yellow hat with both hands and holds it in front of him at waist level as he speaks.

This reminds me of a conversation my father Mook_McGee told me about right before he passed. Apparently he was conversing with some others about recruiting techniques and their severe lack in quality. They seemed to agree with Sycamore that cut-throat competition between so many organizations led to some less than scrupulous techniques; some sponsors even going so far as handing out invitations without even talking to the candidate in question or fronting "start up" money to sweeten the deal.

Obviously some young and impressionable thugs took this to mean that they have some leverage and want to get something out of joining a family other than a chance to prove themselves. But as my father would put it: "It's a self-correcting problem."

Like Consigliere Phili_stein said, a serious sponsor would never consider somebody with that attitude. Conversely, somebody who is gunning for shortcuts and advantages from the get go and only considering their own selfish ambitions with the family on the back burner isn't exactly going to make the ideal representative. Essentially if you're not putting in the work to make yourself an attractive candidate you're not going to get into a family with much substance or sustainability.

He stops and lowers his head for a second to collect his thoughts. He slowly raises his gaze and makes eye contact with Danger.

It is frustrating to hear about young kids who haven't paid any dues having such an entitled disposition. Especially if you're old school and have been taught that family and honor are everything. The only thing I have to my name is the work I've put in for my family. I'd rather be dirt poor knowing I've kicked up every red cent in my pocket to my crew than walking around rich knowing I'm not pulling my share.

Report Post Tip

Diablos happened to be strolling through the streets and overhears Danger's speech. Stepping forward he offers his thoughts.

Thank you Danger, for the well thought out speech. I have thought of this many times recently, so I'm glad you brought this topic to light.

I think I believe as you do. Things have done a complete one hundred and eighty degree turn from not long ago. I have read from my ancestors journals, and they certainly tell a different tale. A tale of working hard to find a safe home, selling yourself the best you can, and impressing those who are suppose to be impressed.

Why should I, someone fresh off the boat if you would, need to be impressed. What have I done that has any merit?

I think the entire situation can be attributed to too many crew leaders, and not enough members to fill each family. Until something changes, unfortunately this will be the norm.

Report Post Tip

I personally found this frustrating when coming off the boat either with a sense of entitlement or when mobbed with people offering me a place in their family, i believe every future associate should ask a sponsor, what makes them different to x or y who is trying to recruit them.  I found this a question some couldn't answer and instead said your safe if you join here after 48 hours.

I maybe one of the older bloodlines here, but each time my family typically come back with a new name, temporarily anonymous and work up.  We don't ask for anything special, just for a leader with a rough idea of what he or she is doing beyond collecting my taxes.

I remember a long time ago, my great, great, really great so long ago grandfather telling me how even as a wise guy  in the days where made men crewleaders only, having to prove his worth but being happy too; people outside crews ranked and was even encouraged at stages and members were disciplined enough not to see them as a +1 on their kill score,  now within minutes of getting of the boat your mobbed by potential sponsors whether your tagged with a comment or not.

How often do these people come in and go ia? suicide? screw up?

i can understand new blood not understanding but the smiles 2pac gave recently with his actions and still being invited to crews said it all.  Recruitment for some families needs an overhaul but when many families are fighting to fill up, these things will happen again and again on 1. people trying to convince someone why their family is so great and pandering to their whims.

and

2. the fact people will actively look for members and have to sell themselves and their crew to anyone not having a clue who they are and their intentions.

Report Post Tip

Welcome RonaldMCDonald. I believe we are very much on the same page. So I do not have so much to reply to. I feel we have the same sentiment when it comes to kicking up and putting effort into the family we've joined. I mean what is the point in being apart of or working alongside other people if all you are thinking about is your own skin? I appreciate your input.

Turning her head to watch Diablos speak, Danger ponders what she'll say next.

Diablos I feel we are certainly on the same page. Do you think that this will change even if crew leaders or their sponsors were to stop taking those civilians seriously for candidates into their families?

Listening to Candy next she smiled.

I understand what you are saying. I, myself, got swarmed by people. I usually weed them out by effort. I mean if you can't put some effort when approaching me then I see a problem, but at the same time I wasn't telling people they owed me anything if I joined them. I, just as yourself, want to learn about a family before I jump into it. I mean they are not all the same so people should understand that not everyone is meant for a particular spot. It takes communication to work it out. I remember when you had to approach a crew leader and tell them why they should want you. I felt that was a much better way to a degree.

New blood wouldn't understand so in that case I understand the approaching aspect just not the selling themselves and meeting every whim of a civilian just to gain them as a member. As others have stated previously those types are not the kind of people that they would want in their families. If their sole purpose is for themselves then would they really go well amongst a family that is supposed to work together?
I apologize if I have rambled on too long.

Report Post Tip

Smiles at Danger.

I think a good first step would be crew leaders and sponsors not clamoring for new recruits like a pack of hungry wolves. Need I mention those two evil words "Member Whoring". I do not blame them completely however, how else are you going to fill up a 40 person crew? This day and age if you sit back and wait for someone to approach you, you may be waiting a long time with just a handful of people by your side.

I think that you will not get every crew leader and sponsor to ignore these people, someone will always cave for an extra person in their crew. Perhaps I am wrong and I hope I am. 

Diablos steps back allowing another person to speak on this topic.

Report Post Tip

Danger smiles as she listens to Diablos.

I hope that you are wrong too. It would make them seem that they care about numbers rather than the quality of members. Although I am not in any position to judge the crew leaders and their decisions but it does make you wonder how those selfish people manage to find a crew to take them in. Or at least it makes me wonder from time to time hence why I am standing here.

Report Post Tip

Yeah i noticed recently a few oversell themselves, ask for money to start up, then suicide on families.  Families were so desperate to take people in, in some cases they would pay them to join.  Is quite sad really

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Musings of a Wise Guy
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL