Get Timers Now!
X

May 03 - 03:39:24
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Mandatory Street Presence. Started by: Goku on Feb 06, '14 05:47

Goku, I must say that I see nothing wrong with setting a mandatory street presence requirement in order for your members to earn their button.

I'm not going to lie, none of my bloodline has ever worn the bold suit. I have also never been the biggest street speaker myself, which is going to lead to my opinion.

I don't find necessary to make street presence mandatory, but rather base their promotion on how well they know the family they are serving with, and how they are performing the things that are expected of them.

That's not to say I don't ever encourage street speaking to our members. It just will not have a negative impact on said member's promotion. On the other hand if said member speaks in the street often or even somewhat, I would say that it would really boost the chances on getting that button.

That's just my opinion though.

Report Post Tip

I think one of my bloodline has mentioned about having at least one street presence before getting promoted as Made Man. I just can't remember who's crew he was in back then. Also you need to have confidence vote from other upper structures before you get the button. Now like some of the distinguished men have said earlier....it can be a plus points for a member to be seen sharing his or her views in the streets when it comes to their promotion. However...street presence should not be the only measuring rod in promoting members. Some may not be eloquent speakers but are so hard working. So while street presence must be encouraged, lack or absence of it should not be a hindrance for a member to being Made. That is of course my personal opinion.

Report Post Tip

Goku, I must say this a very interesting point to bring and what place then the streets. I always looked at the streets as a very important thing to get to familiarize yourself with at any point of ones ancestry. Do I think that it should be a requirement? No not at all to get your button. But I must say Goku you are right I have read in old journals where it was a requirement in certain families.

I really enjoy seeing all opinions on this matter. It's good to see the streets flourish little bit these days because it just seemed that things where getting little too quiet and they kinda are still at the moment but I see it improving do you think?

But I must say I do respect that any Crew Leader has all rights to set certain requirements to get their button. And to be honest I like this requirement, always had. Now I may be the type of bloodline that drives in and gets out of the streets like a swimming pool.

But over the years I noticed just to take a stroll in the streets and listen to speeches makes a person little more knowledgeable on what is really going on, and if you ask me I think It's a major requirement to atleast follow what's really going on here in these shores. Because without our beloved streets the communication level between cities and districts would be low. The streets show what's on people's minds and how they see this world should be ran.

These shores would be totally different if we didn't have it. I think the streets are a great place to discuss matters and thoughts and to inform the little fishes what's going on. Politics, every country or community needs it. It's like our town hall. Things need to be discussed to keeps this round blue ball turning. 

So In the end I respect your requirement. And each crew leader to each own. But I think the main requirement here should be to get familiar with the streets because it does play a huge role on how our community runs. 

Report Post Tip
It's been a requirement in some places in the time my line's been around, so it's not so far removed. I generally see more advantages to not having this requirement than having it. It's not just the potential for fluff speeches, it's also a way of announcing to the world what you have.
Report Post Tip

I actually believe the requirement of a street presence is not only foolish but dangerous. While every crew leader had the right to run the crew how they want, I would not advise it. 

The streets are an important and amazing tool in this world of ours. But it is a double bladed sword and you do have to be careful. 

Also the requirement would consist of what.. a speech? I understand participating in conversations; thats pushing the line but to come out and have to do a speech is out of bounce in my opinion.

I have had bloodline members experience families with street speech requirements and all I can say it was not the smartest move.

I will stat what I think. The world is yours and you can do anything you want. If your strength is communication then by all means you are the top dog in what the universe made you to be. Shoot words can even be more dangerous than bullets at times if you know how to use them. 

The same goes for hitters though, if the universe made you into the badass killer you are you should be able to go and achieve your destiny.

For a requirement I find it foolish but everyone is entitled to their opinions and I respect yours Goku even though I do not agree with them.

Report Post Tip

He'd listened closely to what Goku had said but was then distracted by a hot girl walking past who he began to follow like a cat running after a knitting ball. When he finally grew the balls to talk to her and as he approached he saw it was a guy, it was Mako. He scowled at him and went back to where Goku was speaking, still a bit angry he spoke up.

"Tyrant!! Tyrant I say! Forcing us to speak out in the streets. I told you I have stage fright, I pee my pants when talking in front of a loud crowd."

He then noticed there were quite a lot of people around, he clasped his hands over his mouth and began to retreat back to his car so he could run home into the comfort of his bed away from all the prying eyes.

Report Post Tip

I'll be the first to admit I didn't spend the time to read all of the responses here, so if some of mine are repeats of others I do apologize.

I'd like to address your own speech Goku with thoughts of my own.

Why is it that street activity is no longer a required thing to be a made man?

Some still require it other's don't. I think this depends on the overall leader. I myself have other standards for my button men and don't require them to come out and speak.

Not too long ago there were requirements like this from almost every leader in this thing of ours. What did it result in? Absolute and utter garbage littering these streets like an overflowing sewage pipe backed up after a sports game. 

Not everyone possess the ability to come out here and be an amazing orator. Other's do have that talent and regularly do visit these streets. However, when I myself have problems coming up with new idea's that me or someone in my ancestry hasn't seen done before why would I make that a requirement on my own? 

Even this question itself has been posed on these very streets not once, not even twice, but three different times that I can find records of. For those of us who have been around, it gets tiresome, old, and for lack of a better word boring.

What is it were in this life to achieve? We all have goals and ambitions. I for one, enjoy making money and am pretty damn good at it. So that is my goal, that is my ambition.

I still use this requirement because I am of the opinion that it roots out those just looking for an easy road to made. 

So in your opinion, if street speaking requirements aren't imposed then any other requirements are 'an easy road to made'? How so? 

I require each man under me that receives a button to not only get my blessing but that blessing of my hands. None of us give this out freely and it comes through talking to us regularly about not only things of this world but also things outside of it. This is merely one of the many requirements I impose.

To say that street speaking is a requirement would only hinder further progression. 

Earnings are another way to gauge a man. With the new envelope system in place it shows even greater importance on a leader to activity speak and communicate with his people to enhance his earnings even further. We can sit and bitch that it's not our jobs as leaders to encourage and help the underlings beneath us to grow, but at the end of the day we both know that's wrong.

After all, we are the ones chosen to lead, and if we're any good at it, people will follow.

I completely agree with you, and I will continue to encourage my guys and gals to come out and speak publicly, but it is never something I would force. 

Report Post Tip

Goku just wants to make sure I never get my button cause he's mean to me and doesn't love me the way he used too!

Report Post Tip

I've never been much of a public speaker, and found the prospect of getting up in front of everyone quite daunting. However, now having done that I have realised that it isn't so hard after all, I haven't been ridiculed by my peers (yet) and actually quite like seeing people stand up on their soap boxes and bare all.

I also feel that I have earned my button, more so than I would if it was just given freely. I welcome this requirement and would like to see more members of the upper structures implementing it. Obviously it is down to each individual to make that decision, and not all will feel the same way.

Report Post Tip

While I have made it clear to anyone willing to listen that I am not a RPer or street poster I do feel the need to conform to the standards placed before me. Before anyone comes across and says well then don't play this or then go somewhere else I want to respond.

I do not come here for the game so much as for the people I have come to meet over the past few months. For me it is not about the posting or the character building through posting but more as an accessory to those who do enjoy the full on RP and posting aspect. Do I think by me not posting as often or passionately as others that I am not a good member of a family? No because I like to think I contribute in other ways that make me an asset to a family also whether it be through money,tips,crimes, donations, or simply general conversation to get people through the arduous task of waiting for their next crime to be ready.

So with this said I do hope that people can look at the other side of this game which is the less RP driven individuals as myself who still try to make a contribution and assist those who need a little bit of normal to go with their persona. All I ask is that people do not discredit someone because they are not a quality poster or someone who gets fully into character and in return I will show you the same loyalty you feel is earned when someone posts.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Mandatory Street Presence.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL