Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 05:43:22
Page:  1 
An offer you can't refuse? Started by: MadButton on Feb 08, '14 23:01

Walking down the streets of Philly Mad spots a crowd of people standing around a lonely soap box. After a moments hesitation he walks over and makes his way through the crowd, then hops on top the box. He can already see the confusion on people's face of who this is standing in front of them and why he was standing on the soap box. Mad clears his throat and begins to answer those questions...

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I am not new to these shores nor here to waste your time, if you feel otherwise please leave as I've already had a hard enough time talking myself into standing up here today. Now my bloodline has never felt that going to the streets to speak was a wise thing to do, quite the opposite actually. Yes sometimes you can spot me in the crowd listening and on occasion throwing my 2 cents in but being the man on the soap box, never saw it as me. I've always felt I'd be ripped a new arsehole for my lack of structure in sentences and the fact I stick to layman's terms. None the less I've come here today to speak to you about families, and get your opinions on what makes a player want to join a specific one. Be it a new player to our lovely shores or just a kin returning, what has always been going through your heads when deciding on a family.

We all know that in this thing of ours family is everything. They will go the extra mile for you and will be the ones standing by you in the darkest of times. Once you join there's no leaving, yes there's certain situations where a CL will release an associate for transfer but once your made you only leave in a casket. So again what goes through your head when making this big decision?

Are you looking for the family with the most friends of yours in it or a family where you know the CL or hands. Maybe you've had the honor of already working under them in the past and love how they ran things.
Is there anytime where you choose the family that's going to bring you the most success over all the others?
Do you actually read the invite messages Men and Women of honor send you when you arrive or do you just delete them and find your own family?
If you do read them what catches your eye, some role play, them making you a offer you can't refuse, or just them being straight forward with you?

Personally I've always tried to stick with a family where my brothers are. I don't like having to be on opposite sides and i rather be standing by my brothers in a war then people I don't really know. Plus their the people I'll be working and communicating with on a daily basis so it works out perfectly. That's just my opinion and if there's anything I've learned from listening on the streets it's that everyone has their own opinion and that's exactly what I want to hear so please speak up and share with us.

Mad steps down from the soap box, shakes a few hands, and waits for someone on the streets to speak up.

Report Post Tip

Senka listens to the speech. Giving it a bit of thought as she thinks of a way to adequately reply.

I joined Numbers4Glory because it was where my mother was before her life was so rudely ended. She really enjoyed her time there.

Before her though my bloodline had never worked under Number4Glory's so it was a step outside of the boundaries once more for her. Before deciding on who to join, she had been in discussion with two crew leaders really in regards to joining. She decided on Numbers4Glory because of his straightforward manner appealed to her.

Did she read all the approaches? Yes. Did she give them all the same amount of time? No. Why? You can't join anyone. She approached the leaders that appealed to her. She sat down and spoke to each one thoroughly. Even asked questions that would give her better insight to whether or not she would fit in with them. As you said it's a family that you join and don't tend to leave without special circumstances.

My bloodline doesn't have a habit of joining anywhere just because their family friends are there. I can't say it is always based on where I think I could succeed better. It's hard to determine where you will end up sometimes. There are a lot of people with the same goals as yourself. You can only do your best to try to reach them before something happens and it goes off track. You can't control everyone else, only yourself.

My bloodline has learned many lessons when deciding on families. It is better to be sure it is a place you want to be, regardless of where your friends are, rather than finding out too late you are miserable there. No one will get along with everyone. Find somewhere that suits you and where you feel comfortable trying to obtain your goals (whatever they may be).

I hope this has answered at least some of your questions.

Cutting herself off from rambling too much she flashes a smile and slips back into the shadows.

Report Post Tip

Mad listens as Senka shares her thoughts. Very intrigued he steps forward...

Deffinatly the kind of response I had looked forward to hearing. I respect how you take your time with deciding and leave no stone unturned. That's really something to admire, N4G congratz and a pat on the back as your obviously doing a great job. Would you say there's anything that would make you not want to join a family?

Report Post Tip

Listening carefully to MadButton, Anna decides to speak up.

This time around, the crew I would join was already determined before I reached these shores. It's worked wonderfully for me, I'm very happy in Raptor's crew, he's a fine leader and a fantastic person to work with, and somebody I've never had chance to directly work with before.

My line will, in ideal circumstances, have chosen a home before we reach these shores. Generally, a cousin is sent ahead of us to scout out potential families, to track down old friends of the family in the coffee shops and to see where there might be space for us. What would the sense be in leaving home for this life without being sure of a good home?

We usually prefer to work with people know; not always people we have worked with before, but definitely people that we know and have some kind of friendship or trust in. It does happen sometimes that my line does appear with no certain plans, but it isn't all that common.

As for what I do with messages others send to me when I appear off the boat... it depends. Occasionally I've received a fantastic letter that I've felt the need to reply to regardless of whether or not I have plans, as I know how unbelievably frustrating it is to receive no reply to mails. If it's a half arsed lazy attempt, it gets used to help me light a fire.

It doesn't really matter to me whether they are straight forward or have stayed strictly in character as long as they look like they've spent more than four seconds on it.

Report Post Tip

Senka considers the question.

Something that would make me not want to join a family?

Pushing the hair out of her face she recalls a few mails that definitely turned her away from joining a particular family.

Yes. When the recruits are too lazy to do more than "Wanna join our crew?". Automatically with that little of effort I do not want to join that crew. To me it speaks on how much effort members feel they should put into recruiting. If sponsors can't be bothered to recruit decently it isn't the family for me. Sponsors should be proud of the family they work for. So if they are lazily going along and handing out messages like that well it is disappointing. Almost makes me want to scream for them to take pride in their family or ask why they are even there in the first place if they clearly don't care enough to want to see it grow.

Report Post Tip

Listening to the speaker Sabrina thought that he brought up a good question. She decides to step forward and offer her two cents and answer his question.

When I first returned to these shores i was not even sure that i wanted to stick around. The very first mail I got was from Numbers4Glory and we role played our characters for a good 25 minutes talking. during that 25 minutes i had other recruiters talking to me (not naming names) and most of tehm were one liners and one even offered me a job without even getting to know me, which in our world is a huge leap of faith. In the end, i felt that joining N4G was the best move so i asked him to send me an invite.

Recruiting is something I take very seriously. I personally role play my character when doing it. I do not believe in sending out a one liner saying simply "come join my crew and work for me." Sadly though some people do that, and even just send random invites. To be very honest, I joined N4G because i felt he was the right leader for me to help me achieve my goal, and i have no regrets.

Report Post Tip

Mad listens and waits for all three ladies to finish answering.

I appreciate all three of you taking your time and sharing your mind frame when comming to these shores, and the process's that you went through to find the right family. I think I should hire N4G to do a seminar on recruiting for the streets cause people could really learn a thing or two it seems. I can understand those couple liners or the simple join me, I don't necessarily agree with it but not everyone can think of something to say. I usually let those slide but when someone just sends me a invite without a word I feel their don should be informed. I know I wouldn't want to hear that one of my sponsors was just sending invites to random people, not only is that lazy but it makes the family look bad that they would have someone like that sponsoring for them. In the past did any of you stick strictly to a certain scripted intro that you'd copy and paste?

Report Post Tip

My bloodline has once used a scripted. I don't find the scripted so bad because at least there is effort compared to the one liners that so many people now receive.

Senka chuckles at the mention of Numbers4Glory giving a seminar.

If you can arrange that I would definitely sit in for a lecture. Maybe out of amusement. On a serious note, there are other leaders that do put in the effort as well. I know this because I was approached by one that was a hard toss up for me between the two. I do think leaders might want to take a look at their sponsors and maybe teach how to do more than a one line as many are not enticing to even communicate with. Sponsors should have pride in their family and want to make a good impression as well. If you are going to recruit, put the effort I think.

I have no ability to tell leaders what they should do. It's just a suggestion so that they can see how their members approach recruitment and maybe help improve.

MadButton, I am curious why you understand the one liners? I get the couple liners, maybe a paragraph. To me that is at least a bit of effort but why the one liners?

Report Post Tip

In the past did any of you stick strictly to a certain scripted intro that you'd copy and paste?

No. i change the RP every time. one thing i value when role playing is creativity.

Report Post Tip

Senka would you ever say you got a recruit because of your script or was it just more of the ice breaker? Also like you said to inform the CL their member is just sending invites is only a suggestion, it all comes down to how they want to handle it.

I agree that families should take teaching their sponsors how to recruit more seriously. Even if they had a Family Forum or just a scripted tutorial they send to their member when s/he is given the nod to sponsor players, just the basics on what to do and what not to. Maybe even throw in a convo on how the boss recruits. Sponsors deffinatly need to get some mob pride, but I think there's a difference between a player with pride and a player that doesn't know how to recruit and that's why when they try it comes off half arse. Which just brings us back to CL's needing to take time to train their sponsors. 

To answer your question, I was once a new time sponsor. I was never told how to recruit it was just assumed that i knew. Even to this day I'm still trying to learn and master the art of being a productive recruiter as recruiting on here is much different then any other game I've played. Other games it's been the simple list: Ask if new, if not find out former bloodline. If they arn't blacklisted make them an offer, if they accept send invite. Straight forward right? At the end of it there wouldnt be more then 20 words said to have a new member. That's just what I've been around for years so I'm use to getting them. So that's why i let them slide as I can't be angry at someone who is just trying/learning. I might not reply but i can still understand them atleast trying.

I do enjoy reading the couple liners and paragraphs don't get me wrong, like Anna said even if i have plans i'll still reply back to those ones. To just give a kick arse RP or recruitment speech and to hear nothing back is just disappointing. Hopefully that answers your question

Report Post Tip

MadButton, it has been quite a while since my bloodline has really recruited. I can't remember if it worked or was an ice breaker. I am sure it started conversations just as well as a simple "Hello" would, just more interesting.

I think it is a communication thing. If you are newer to our world and your leader has given you sponsorship. You should probably ask what is required of you. What you should act like etc. Otherwise how is your crew leader supposed to know that you need help? At the same time if the crew leader knew you were new then they should speak to you about it before giving it to you. At least that is just my own opinion.

Everyone has different set of skills. I would not say mine are street speaking or recruiting. I prefer the silence with only money to count. I prefer to earn. It is what I feel I am best at. However, such as this for example, I take the opportunity to learn other skills as well. Nothing wrong with learning it, just don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

Words are all we have to go by. So if you are coming across as half arsed but you are really trying then it's hard to tell. This is where I think asking for help, getting tips or something would be beneficial.

That is just my thoughts on the matter though.

Report Post Tip

Sponsors should definitely take their roles seriously and should rp them. This is a rp environment after all (see how I got around the "G" word there.) I have been on the receiving end of some horrible mails from sponsors. So much so that anyone who knows me immediately spams me with their best shot (probably looking to crack into my top 5 horrid sponsor mails list.) One even said "when did you become nice?" when I didn't fire back one of my famous shoot downs. It's a fun game really.

My relatives had no intention of returning to these shores. I was dragged here by only one of two people I could not refuse. I won't work for just anyone (unless I come to these shores with ulterior motives as I have done before.) The ancestors name that I bear often gives a clue as to what I intend to do (when I use one.) I have to know they are capable. I must know their ancestors and trust them. I don't want to work for the ones who are authed time and time again no matter how capable they are. They can fill their crews easily. I am going to find an underdog and fight for them. I like to work for those who have the wherewithal but have never been given a real chance. I want to do what I can to help them succeed. That being said, I also take into account the individuals over them such as their Godfather and his/her hands. If I know I cant work with them, that becomes a deal breaker no matter how much I want to help.

I must say, I did not read every mail or invite I got (whichever they were.) When a mail came in I looked at the subject line and the profile then made a determination as to whether I was going to open it. I discarded quite a few without reading them. If their subject line caught my eye or their profile did I read the mail even though I knew what I was doing when I arrived. I very rarely recruit myself but when I do it is role played. If I don't get an answer in a role play format or at least some semblance of proper English I won't send them a second mail. Communication is key with me. If I can't communicate with you I am just gong to spend my time wanting to put a bullet in you so it is best that I move along. When I do recruit I look for things in an individual that fits in with the people we have. We need to work together as a family and, luckily, this is one place where you can choose your family.

Report Post Tip
*N4G is walking past when he hears his name being mentioned… And again.*

*He sticks his head in for a better listen, after hearing everyone out and feeling a bit bashful it was probably an appropriate time to chime in*

Thank you for your kind words Ladies’. I do take recruitment very seriously and I am a little obsessive about my methods. I chose not to make use of the latest trends of message boards as I don’t believe it’s good business to advertise crew work in that manner and that new members would benefit more from a hands on approach; but too each their own.

My approach in recruitment has always been a personal one, I like to get to know the individual and understand how they want the interaction to be structured. Not everyone wants a long drawn out introduction sometimes people want to get right down to business.

*Numbers pauses for a moment to consider something*

This may be misunderstood but please hear me out. I like to do ALL the recruitment myself. I realise it’s not supposed to be my responsibility and I should probably hang back in the shadows and pass this on to my sponsors. This for me is the most important interaction you ever have with a prospective member, your initial interaction allows you to understand who they are, where they need help and how they can help you strengthen your existing team. I’m almost upset when I see new members having joined whose recruitment I wasn’t involved with. I immediately message them to catch up.

I don’t feel I am any better at it. I just think I have a good eye for identifying people that not only work hard, but more importantly people that fit in with the family. I work very hard within the family to get everyone involved and educate where I can, but the initial interaction is still the most valuable.

*Numbers plonks his hat firmly on his head and swaggers off into the night*
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $120,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: An offer you can't refuse?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL