Get Timers Now!
X

May 13 - 23:36:21
Page:  1 
An open address on the word RESPECT Started by: Dana_Vicci on Feb 11, '14 14:32

Dana surveys the streets looking up and down from between her bodyguards to see if it appears reasonably safe before stepping forward and taking her place atop a wooden box and beginning to speak.

Its not often you will see me come to these streets and start a discussion. Most of the time, my bloodlines have historically only responded to the things which have caught our attention. Today however, shall be different because I'm going to address something which while covered many places is sometimes not well defined. Day after day I watch as people come to these streets and talk about the pillars of what make this thing of ours so great. Words like loyalty, and respect, get bandied about like water at a wet tshirt contest. I still see though, that a few have no concept of the meaning of the word respect and maybe that is a failure on the part of those out here, myself included to clearly define the word, so I am going to attempt to do so, with examples that those who may not honestly have a inclination as to the meaning of the word maybe educated. If others feel I have not been clear or have other examples or definitions they would like to add, I encourage you to feel free and step forward and add your thoughts to what I am about to say.

Dana pushed her skirt down and adjusted the top of her dress suit as she thought for a moment before continuing

Lets say for a minute there is a Don named McMartin and Don McMartin comes to the streets and addresses the people of his city he speaks about a recent war and how he hopes to make things better. Then We have Made Man Marcus from another family, and another city who disagrees with him. After the Don finishes his speech the Made Man can reply one of two ways

* "Dude, your a ass, I completely disagree thanks for wasting everyones time <expletive>"

* "Sir, While I disagree with what you have said here, I'd like to thank you for coming out and telling the world your side of things but here is what I think"

Now most of us can easily tell the right and wrong answer here, yet every day I see people coming closer to the first reply rather then the second. I'm not saying you have to call those ranked about you Sir or Ma'am(or Miss *grins*) but what would it really hurt? If you put in the time and effort to get to the rank of Don or Godfather even if someone disagrees with what you say, wouldn't you like to get that little bit of a nod just for the time and effort invested? Many will say respect is earned, not given. To those I will reply if you've put time and work in to the rank before your name I submit that that effort in our world is what constitutes earning respect. If you go out into the streets and are an ass to people then expect there to be discussions on how that will be handled. I promise you the powers that be in this thing of ours do take note of whats said out here and will handle it in their good time. On the other hand, if you are working hard, you come out to these streets and do so respectfully, even when you disagree with someone they will take note of that too. If you want to get anywhere in this world, it comes down to this you can't expect to piss in peoples cheerios and expect them to smile and thank you for it.

When it comes to being a higher up in the world, its not just about how many jobs you've done for the family it also comes down to being a descent person. If you aren't chances are you'll go six feet under before you see the light at the top.

Dana places her wide brimmed hat on her head and glances over the gathering crowd, preparing to step down

I openly invite others up to this step to speak on how they would define the word, to me, its just paying people their due and being polite. Giving to someone some acknowledgement for their work and time invested and only asking the same.

With that, Dana stepped back amongst her guards and began to listen hoping others would add to the discussion at hand.

Report Post Tip

Ronald looks at Dana_Vicci with a look of mild exasperation.

It's surreal to me that we even need to have this conversation. I was taught that respect always flows upward. It's just not something you question, any more than you question why the boss gets the lion's share of the profit. That's just the way it is in this business. It's not a democracy. It doesn't have to be fair. If you want to change it there's an avenue for that: amass the amount of resources, alliances and respect necessary to make your voice worth something.

I agree with Miss Vicci on the word "respect" in this context. I would define it as giving the proper amount of reverence to one's achievements. Respect is indeed earned. Someone at the rank of Don should absolutely be respected as the person of importance they have become.

Now I don't think we have to be all polite and holding hands by the campfire. Certain situations call for pointed words. You can disagree, even strongly, without losing sight of the hierarchical nature that holds this all together. In this business cool heads prevail. As soon as you start getting defensive and emotional you start making mistakes that can easily be used against you. It's also high-risk low-reward. What do you really stand to gain from publicly insulting a high ranking family member, or especially a leader? Even if you're in the right, by being disrespectful you're building up a reputation. In a business like ours that is so reliant on social ties it's readily obvious that maintaining a level of decorum is a valuable skill.

It works both ways, of course. Higher ranking family members should treat their positions with respect as well. I have heard a lot of recent discussion over whether or not the Made title has lost its prestige. Well if it has the first step towards restoring it is for the Made members to hold ourselves to a higher standard. We've already put in the work to earn our place, now it's time to show the up and comers how it's done. In the long term we all benefit.

I tend to be a bit old fashioned with my mannerisms. I greet high ranking members by their official title. Like Miss Vicci, I believe professional cordiality is just good business strategy. Even if you disagree with someone, or personally dislike them, you still have more to gain by maintaining a workable relationship with them.

Ronald nods and looks fairly satisfied with his monologue.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Choices, choices, it was all about choices ...

Mercury was walking the streets when she came upon Dana speaking. She listened to what she had to say. She very rarely commented on hot topics such as this. Answers were often misconstrued. She knew this all too well. Mercury made the decision to comment anyway when she heard Dana's examples

* "Dude, your a ass, I completely disagree thanks for wasting everyones time fuckwad. Fuck off!"

* "Sir, While I disagree with what you have said here, I'd like to thank you for coming out and telling the world your side of things but here is what I think"

Mercury always did fill in things people left unfinished. It was like one of those childhood games where you had a sentence and filled in the missing words for fun. Mercury gave Dana the time to finish then spoke up.

Hypothetically, if this Don McMartin came out to these streets and I know from my family journals that what he has said is a blatant lie I will not respect him nor will I ever take him at his word again.

That does not mean I am going to storm into the streets and respond with the first example. If I do choose to respond in such a manner it would be with an ancestor with obvious suicidal tendencies who would speak their mind then find the closest bridge. Even in this case I would be selective with my street comments but might likely tell them in a private mail what I really think should they choose to find their way into my mail (this has happened to my ancestors a couple times.)

If the speech given is wishy washy and I can not prove that they are wrong I may respond but I surely won't be thanking them. Being evasive or creating smoke and mirrors in your speeches does not settle well with me. My ancestors have seen high ranking mobsters blatantly commit acts that would have gotten anyone else a pair of cement shoes and arrogantly act as if they had the right to do as they wish because of their rank. I will never, ever respect a person like that and when their demise comes (because it always does) I would be doing everything in my power to make sure they met their fate. There is a saying about watching out for the quiet ones, they are dangerous. This has applied to a number of my ancestors. Generally, if they were unhappy and quiet they were plotting.

With all that said, there are certain bloodlines of mine that I would never tarnish. I do not carry forth a namesake that intends to be disrespectful to anyone. I will say my peace if I feel I must in a pointed but respectful manner.

I don't always do things the right way. My bloodline has always been opinionated and often controversial. It is important not to cross a line in our discussions with or responses to others as well. While I'd often like to respond in the first manner, I generally fall somewhere in between the two. Explicatives are left out but I will voice my concerns or make my point as I feel is necessary.

In short, I generally respect a person for who they are not what title they wear.

Mercury waited around to see who else had something to say about this. She wholeheartedly agreed with many of the things Dana said especially

If you go out into the streets and are an ass to people then expect there to be discussions on how that will be handled. I promise you the powers that be in this thing of ours do take note of what's said out here and will handle it in their good time. On the other hand, if you are working hard, you come out to these streets and do so respectfully, even when you disagree with someone they will take note of that too.

Mercury has disagreed with many things and voiced her opinions. The Gods that be had even spoken to her and stated she should feel free to respond further and in more depth should she wish to do so. Unfortunately, Mercury had gotten to busy and not done this. She still had a transcript of her ancestors conversation. She may take the time to do that now once she becomes more familiar with her current surroundings.

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"... That's what my father taught me.

I might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I take it as advice and I can see how it can help with success.
We are all here for the some reason, we all choose our paths in life, and how we do things.

Respect doesn't come from liking or disliking an individual, as a matter of fact, respect means knowing your place and the ability to show respect for someone you may dislike for whatever reason, shows you are a true Mafioso.
Rank still matters, regardless of what an individual has accomplished in order to get where they are and obtain their rank. 
And d
isrespecting someone in public wont help you get far in this world.

If you're not happy with a situation, then sometimes being silent is the best way to go.
Standing out is one thing, but standing out by disrespecting others would have you killed, at least in the old days, and surely doesn't get the respect that you may be seeking by others. 

Having said that, I also believe that respect can be given for other, perhaps less nobler, reasons.
Respect can be given due to fear... fear of strength, fear of power, fear of a gun... and with the current power structure, I can understand why a lower rank from a powerful district/city would be able to grow the balls required to disrespect someone who clearly outrank him.

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: An open address on the word RESPECT
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL