Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 00:17:06
Page:  1 
Where's all the rum gone? Started by: AlabamaWorley on May 11, '14 12:50

Ok. First off let me just acknowledge this isn't about Rum.

That was purely to get RasAlGhul worried about a shortage of rum, though given we are in prohibition I guess technically the rum is in fact, gone. Sorry Ras.

I stroll these streets on a daily basis and I know for a fact I'm far from alone, so it leaves me wondering why myself and many others seldom stop to discuss things anymore. I'm not going to use the battered phrase of "the streets are dead", as they aren't exactly dead, but we must all be able to admit that they aren't lively either.

I've not come here to bitch about that and blame anyone though, and I really hope no-one turns this into anything of the sort. What I came here today to ask is the opinion of all of you out there. From the Thug to Godfather, what would make you stop and talk? There have been a million different discussions out here that many people will say have been covered before, but I don't feel thats a reason why they shouldn't be covered again. Bloodlines have come and gone and new ones have arrived, so perhaps a new perception on an old topic wouldn't be so bad for us old folk.

Obviously the reason I make that last comment is because the usual response to why people have nothing to say, is because they've said it all before.. and I want to get that one out of the way before we open the floor for others to come and tell us what would make them stop and listen and more importantly, discuss.

So.. anyone at all please come forward and tell the masses what you look for when you walk down these streets. And be honest. If you come down the streets looking to watch people arguing back and forth whilst you eat some popcorn and laugh at them, then why not admit it? Or do you stroll down the street looking for a hot topic to discuss but are left wanting? If so, please say something.

You see the reason behind me asking this, is because I would love nothing more than to do something to help make the streets a bit better for us all, but there isn't any point in me trying to simply do what I want, as that would do nothing but leave me standing alone on a corner chatting to myself whilst RuhRoh plays with himself.

Do we need a Newspaper? Would anyone be interested in this? What are the pro's and con's of bringing a newspaper to the streets though? Do people actually value the content, the funny stroies, the hororscopes etc. Or do they simply look for a comical rendition of the latest news from this thing of ours, such as a well known Godfather wackbacking again.

I just want to know people, what gets your attention, what makes your blood boil so much that you'll jump into the discussion and contribute?

I now leave the floor open for people to come out and tell us all what they like and would wish to see more of.

Alabama signals to one of her bodyguards and he leaves a hip flask of rum where she had previously stood.

Report Post Tip

lronSight listens quietly as the strange woman went on about something he didn't really understand, probably just from a lack of experience.

I'm new here, so I have to ask what made them not dead before? Honestly, what was it like and what was happening the last couple times you thought they were lively? I was going to jokingly ask you how asphalt dies, but maybe now isn't the best time of my off the wall humor...

lronSight chuckles at his own joke anyways and then starts strolling away with a bit of pep in his stroll, clicking his heels as he walked away not expecting an answer. The asphalt was dead, after all, so why expect an answer?

Report Post Tip

Genocide steps out of the crowed and moved forward into the spot where alabama stood, he picks up the hipflask and lifts his gas mask enough to take a swig before screwing the cap back on and setting the flask back down.

I spend alot of time wondering the streets these days, observing situations, listening in on conversations and keeping up to date with the daily gossip.

I seldom speak to anyone out here in the public eye, not because I am scared to voice my opinions nor worrie about negative responses.

I dont speak because more often than not I dont have anything to say, I refuse to become involved in other peoples business and by not sticking my nose in im not often in the position to say anything. There are few topics I have expressed my opinions in, few conversations here I have been involved in and even fewer arguments if any at all.

I like to keep myself to myself, my buisiness within my family and keep out of the public eye.

This is how I am comfortable, this is what I like.

So for me personally, there is little change in the streets that could be made to make me more involved. 

Report Post Tip

As one of the older bloodlines around here, i won't like i have seen most things, taken part in most things and shook my head at others.  The truth is some of the time i see people post at stages is just to feel their vip entry to certain people for info or if they feel it will get them status or position in their family or one of their own down the line.

What do i enjoy? i like a debate that doesn't drop to childish behaviour, i like stories that make me think or if a lesson in it to teach to a newer bloodline.  I like to see a newspaper, the unfortunate problem is you need news for it often and is something we are in short supply of sometimes.

The truth is it depends on my mood what i want to see, but is why i spend most of my time in the business district as often a bigger flair of creativity.

Report Post Tip

Melis hears a mention of rum and instantly stops to listen. If nothing else worked alcohol always did. Even though the speech wasn't about rum it still peaked her interest a little bit.

I, personally, do not stop to comment in other speeches or stories. In fact it feels off for me to comment on a story and that is mostly what I have seen as of late. I enjoy speaking up on discussions. Ones that I have an opinion on but I find a lot of that has already come about and no longer seems discussed.

I've considered creating a discussion but with people known to attack based on bloodline rather than what they are actually reading it has stopped me from bringing forth a topic. So I wait. I wait and see what others are willing to bring up.

Like you Alabama I do stop and check the streets very often to see if there is perhaps a new discussion going on. I just don't make my presence always known.

Report Post Tip

TheTripleDeuce hears the word rum faintly in the distance and runs to the crowd to see if there is any samples

i personally tend to only involve myself that appears to be open to the public some paper's i see on these light posts appear to be directed towards a certain group

i do miss the newspaper and the contents it had back in the day, there was talks about it coming back about a month or two ago and that died off i believe

ive come to the street previously for the news so itd be nice to have the news delivered again but every once in a while i enjoy the fresh air and a walk down the streets to see whats up

i must admit there is times where i like to watch the show so to speak with a beer and a popcorn lol

Report Post Tip

How many times have I rehearsed something to say in my head but never actually speak the word? Countless times.

I read everything. I watch everything. I always know whats going down even though my communication on the outside has come to an almost relaxing halt.

I don't have anything to say quite frankly because I very rarely need to say anything. I've grown up, hell my forefathers did grow up with the knowledge that working for your family and presenting your good appearence to other families was what got you places. Today this isnt the case, you don't need to say a word to any other leader outside of your district to get places.

Hell, leaders in the past got were they where by presenting themselves to everyone rather than doing much in their own family. It would have been uncommon for someone to make everyone turn their heads and not have their own leader be asked by others why that man hasn't made it yet.

Today things work from the inside out and I don't know if it's a good thing or not but I'm only now starting to accept that and maybe we are all fighting a losing battle because times change, people changes and things just...change.

Report Post Tip

I feel like these streets go just like our seasons do, colorful and lively times to cold and deserted. Also, I believe that the newer generations coming off the boats, they aren't seeing the upper echelon taking part out here and well.. Monkey see monkey do, right? 

It's not hard to stir discussion, all you have to do is put forth a little bit of an effort and well, toss out a question! 

People also avoid the street because they've found other means of communication and well, they may not feel the need to reach out beyond their circle. It's all a part of the self-preservation that's seems to be the prevailing thing across the board, people just staying within their means and circles, just digging in and hoping to keep their stay in peace.

Report Post Tip

As Kal-El is walking down the street in all his glory and handsomeness, breaking necks as if he were Jesus in the flesh, he hears something that intrigues him.

I'd like to see the newspaper thing. Please do it.

Report Post Tip

Quietly slipping from the shadows Angus takes a look around him at all the people gathered around. If he were to string up his Gibson and thrash a few tunes out it would be easy for him to get out in front of the crowd and perform, it really wouldn't be a problem at all.

How many times over the years have I stepped out of the shadows, have been just about to open my mouth and then returned to whence I came? I've lost count to be honest. Question is, why this should be the case?

Confidence? Yeah, a little I guess. My bloodline is relatively new and has never really made much of an effort to establish itself much beyond being another of the supporting cast. Because of this I don't really expect to have earned the right to shout the odds on The Streets.

Content? Well as AlabamaWorley alluded to, much has been said here over the years and much is repeated on a regular basis. Whilst I agree that there's no point re-inventing the wheel, there's only a certain amount of plagiarism which I'm comfortable with.

The Streets are often their busiest when sons & daughters, nieces & nephews of well known characters require an outlet for their frustrations and happily (well maybe more accurately unhappily) vent them for all to hear. This is probably the time when my bloodline has seen fit to completely stick to the back alleys of our world and avoid this area with a passion.

So, back to Alabama's question; What would entice us shy individuals out into the open where we can easily offend those who carry their chips around quite firmly on their shoulders and where we can very easily make ourselves look ridiculous with our stuttering, stammering and poor vocabulary?

Well I guess one of the things which does entice some out of the woodwork is a good discussion about why it's quieter here than it used to be. It certainly brings souls like myself out so I can ramble on similarly to some associates of mine.

What really gets the blood flowing and the adrenaline pumping is the subject of shooting, Shooting to Thrill, oh and good ole Daisy Duke too....

Report Post Tip

DUDE I DRINK MAD RUM LIKE BACARDI WHERES IT AT!?

Report Post Tip

are we out of rum???????????????????????

Report Post Tip

Eliott Ness and all his Prohabition BASTARDS took all the rum :(

Report Post Tip

where are the Canadians?!?????

Report Post Tip

This is getting way off topic. Such a great effort to reach out to find a way to grow The Streets and it's being taken so lightly and joked with. How unfortunate, but as we can see..here's a few reasons as to why people don't take to the streets or contribute in the way they were paved for, it's all turning into horseplay.

Thanks Alabama for the effort in throwing the idea and concern out there. It's motivated me to seek out ways to revive and contribute more..!

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Where's all the rum gone?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL