Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 17:27:09
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
It's been a while Started by: Jono on Jun 04, '14 11:45

Well... it's been a while. Let's give this a go. 

Jono was walking down the street with a spring in his step and a hubcap in his hand. Today was going to be a good day. Today was going to be the day he finally found himself back at what used to be his favorite part in this thing of ours. These here streets that he was gliding through right now. His head was held high and his vision was clear but, before he could take a step further something caught his sight. Something so wretched that he dare not move until he had removed it from existence. He kicked at it to ensure it was real and when he realised it was he threw up all over the damned thing. The bloody soapbox. Picking himself up and regaining his composure a smirk formed across his lips. "It's definitely been a while" he thought. Jono cracked his neck, stretched out his arms and intertwined his fingers together, stretching further until an almighty crack could be heard emanating from the bones of his fingers. Then in one fell swoop he raised the hubcap above his head and crashed it down on the soapbox, smashing it to smithereens. He wasn't finished yet though. From his pocket Jono grabbed his lighter and emptied it's fluid on the mangled soapbox before using it's flint to spark it in to flames. Before long it was ashes, the way it should be. The horrible things that they are. While stepping away a stray piece of wood from the soapbox connected with his foot. He smiles. "Could always do with some extra toilet paper, never know when you're going to need it. Save me dipping in IronSight's bin later too!".

Now it was on to why he was here. Jono wanted opinions and maybe even a little debate. He knew the streets where the place to get it, or rather they were. How to do it though? He wasn't like a lot of the other idiots gathering up soapboxes *shudders* to shout to the masses in the streets. I mean come on, we're talking business here. Not every rat bastard needs to know about our 'business'. Walking further down the street his eyes caught on to the perfect spot. A corner on the street where a few mobsters are standing having a chat. You could tell these people are mobsters just by the way they look. We stood out like a sore thumb in normal society but fuck it, the civilians are to scared to say anything about it and the officers are all corrupt as hell. 

Jono slowly edges closer and can finally start to overhear their conversation.

"Did you here that dude down the road there shouting for all to hear about a protection order for some dudes members?" One said.

"Oh you mean that dude a couple of blocks down?" Came the reply.

"Noooo, I think he means the one just over there." Replied another.

"Oh I get you, that one just outside the coffee shop over there?" Said a fourth. 

"I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over those lot shouting about who was being authed over there!"

Jono at this point raises his hand to his forehead and smacks it as loud as he could. Confused but understanding. The smack was loud enough for the mobsters to hear and caused them to all turn to face him. Annoyed at first that someone was listening to their conversation but quickly calmed when they realised it was the RHM of The Fonz Appreciation Society. Jono smiles and joins in on their conversation, just audible enough for anyone passing by to eavesdrop as he did and add their own opinion. 

"Listen here cunto. I see and hear you guys are talking but I'm after an opinion. I'm after a reason or just simply your thoughts. My line has been back around these parts for a few weeks now and I've deliberately steered clear of the streets. There are a few reasons for that to be honest. Firstly out of pure laziness, secondly I have taken my time to gather what knowledge I can on the current state of the streets and thirdly because I do not yet know what kind of speech freedom mobsters have around these parts lately. Now my laziness is well known so I won't delve in to that. Nor will I delve in to the good ole streets are dead performance as Maria has done a very damn good job on that a few days a go, shifting the norm on it's head and talking about the speakers instead. Anyway... What I want to talk to you about...

What kind of free speech do we have in our day and age? What amounts to a speach that is punishable by death and to what lengths do the current leadership go to silence peoples opinions when they disrespect something a leader has done or just down right disagree with something that was said? It's no damn mystery as to why there is not a lot of activity in the streets these days. It's a fact that most of the decent street speakers have gone over the years and no knew ones have stepped up to the plate or that they plain just can't be fucking bothered. Why is that do you think?  Are people afraid? Is there no one that will step up when challenged or are we all just to pussy to share a disagreement for fear that you'll either be berated or told to tone it down by your leader? I really don't know. 

I hate to go all nostalgic here but it adds to my point. There were days when the streets were the most active and entertaining place to be in our world and right now, in our time period I can't think of one thing that is exciting enough to get out of bed for in the morning. These days we wake up, we do some work, we rank, rarely we have a war, we repeat. The streets were the only thing that could be and mostly was different every single day. 

So what is it? I'll say one thing to start... is it because you are afraid of what your leader might say or do if you inadvertently disrespect someone or disagree with their own opinion? Fuck em. I guarantee you, absolutely guarantee you that not one of the leaders in place at the moment wants to be seen as the person who oppresses their members opinions and speech. 

It's not what you say, it's how you say it. Hell... I am even willing to offer right now, to any of you anywhere who might be listening. If you want to come to the streets and speak your mind but you're unsure on how to do it. Come find me. I will use the very little of my valuable time to help you say what you want to say and how to say it.  Also, one thing to remember. If you don't have enemies in this world. You are doing something wrong. 

So, my new friends... What're your thoughts?"

Tar Lar

Report Post Tip

all just too pussy to share a disagreement for fear that you'll either be berated or told to tone it down by your leader

This. Everyone wants to hold hands around a camp fire and not disagree with anything any leader says. And to be quite honest, its pretty disgusting. Stop forming upper lip mustaches with your leader's anus hairs and speak up you dumb sheep.

A lot of people don't like the way things are but no one wants to say or do anything. I don't understand it tbh.

Report Post Tip
You cant speak for everyone Kal, you can only speak on behalf of yourself.
Each person here will have their own reasons for speaking, or not speaking.
You cant just label them cowards or "brown noser's".

I dont often speak here because I geniunily have very little to say. Not because im scared, not because im licking anyone ass.
just because thats how I am.

if we have freedom of speech, then we can choose to exercise that right, or choose to keep quiet. Thats our choice.
so please, speak for yourself. Not others.
Report Post Tip

KingDemon hearing what Jono has to say and thinking of why he doesnt come out on to the streets often he finally thinks and says,

I do not fear of being silenced or being killed for my opinions nor for disagreeing on anothers for the simple fact that not everyone will agree on the same opinions that is a given and i stick by what i say, I am a brutally honest person all you have to do is ask of my opinion about something, Now i do not advise you to ask me for my honesty if you cant handle what i think.

Secondly, i do not come out onto the streets as this is not my thing, But i am learning to come outside of my comfort zone and gradually working my way up to writing my own threads sometime in the near future i hope.

*on a side note i notice my grammar is not that good, so bear with me and dont let that deviate from what i have said*

After saying his peace KingDemon quietly goes to the nearest building and props up against it pulling out a cigarette from his pocket, pulling a lighter from his suit pocket lighting it and waiting to hear what else is said.

Report Post Tip

Please show me where I say I'm speaking for everyone. That is for anyone who wants to wear the shoe. Like I said in another thread, I have designer foot wear in all colors and sizes. If you want sparkly rhinestones I can do that for you too.

Next time tell me how handsome I am instead.

Report Post Tip
I have no idea what on earth you are talking about, good for you poppet. I guess... :s
Report Post Tip

I really love the addition you have just made to what I am trying to say here KingDemon. Thank you.

Comfort Zone. See, I really don't think the streets should be about comfort zones at all. This place has got to the point where speaking in the streets is no longer a daily routine or ritual as it used to be. To speak in the streets these days there has to be a specific reason for it. Maybe someone else has said something that struck a nerve or whether it just be to announce who is protected and who isn't.

Street speaking should be a daily occurance. 

One bit of advice I will give to you KingDemon. Never ever worry about your grammer or your spelling when coming to the streets. Of course it helps but at the end of the day, if the subject and content of your speech is decent, then it will be over looked and forgotten. I for one will be keeping an eye out for your street presence and anyone I see degrading you for your grammer capabilities will be force fed hubcaps until their eyes bleed. 

Your thoughts and opinions are what matter. 

Report Post Tip

lronSight was walking down the streets when he noticed Jono giving his speech. He eventually noticed the vomit covered piece of wood in his RHM's hand and immediately spoke up,

"You put that down right now

Report Post Tip

(OOC: stupid fucking laptop freaked out and the mouse started clicking everything)

! I swear to God if you bring that fucking garbage into my brand new HQ I will put you down!"

Report Post Tip

Hush It Hipster and buy some damned toilet paper! While you're at it... give me your opinion!

Report Post Tip

"My first opinion is you're an abomination not fit for this world but seeing as I can't get rid of you... keep your friends close and your sickest nightmare enemies closer. Honestly I don't think something like you could come about from one of Stephen King's worst nightmares... how the hell were you even spawned so disgusting?"

"My second opinion is that the people are afraid of their own fucking shadows. Yes many modern crew leaders are mutes... but do you really need them speaking to hold your own opinion out in public? Next, I blame the likes of the many who criticize the few speakers we do have for ridiculous reasons... such as not being the speakers of old. Well just for you cuntos out there... I tracked down this bloodline, slapped a title on it and look what he did with just a little inspiration from his bloodline's mortal enemy? I dare you to complain he's not old school enough, lol."

Report Post Tip

I know it isn't your point, but I think the 'the streets used to be thriving' card is extremely overplayed, because they haven't been for a really, really long time and until an emphasis is placed upon them by everyone, they won't be again.

To your actual question(s), I don't think the reason people are not speaking is out of fear because I'm a firm believer in it being a matter of how you express yourself as to whether or not you'll catch a bullet for what you say. I think it is because you don't really have to bother to succeed. If you can get to the very top without opening your mouth, and there are plenty of examples of that all around us, why run the risk? Is it really worth going the extra mile to both work hard and be vocal when only the former is necessary to achieve success?

I guess the answer to that depends on the individual and in most cases, it seems to be no.

Report Post Tip

lronSight turns to look at the man holding one hand in a fist and the other in a peace sign,

"Just because you don't HAVE to be a street speaker to succeed doesn't mean you can't get that position through street speaking. Why run the risk? Because it's how the old leaders moved an entire nation to go against a group that shouldn't have been killable or to rule with an iron fist... without needing the biggest of guns present on our streets at all hours. Is it really worth going the extra mile? Always if it's within your reach. Practice makes perfect and where could you better perfect representing yourself and your crew in a way a crew leader would that's better than out here where everyone can see?"

"Maybe it's not your actual opinion and that's your belief on many other speakers... but I feel that message really needs to be spread across the nation."

Report Post Tip

Is it really worth going the extra mile to both work hard and be vocal when only the former is necessary to achieve success?

This is a large part of the problem now.

Being in the streets has no bearing on the success you will make in this world. Your gun and your level of employed help are largely what matter now. Gone are the days when your wits and ability to talk your way out of trouble kept you alive.

This isn't news though, these days have been gone for a long time now.

I also wouldn't think people were scared of speaking in the streets, as I can't think off hand of any situations where the current leadership have over reacted and killed people for speaking in the streets to cause such a panicked reaction, so to me it would purely come down to the aforementioned fact that they don't need to, and if they don't need to and dont want to, they wont.

There are others that don't need to but do want to, such as lronSight there, Maria to name another. These people are often found walking the streets sharing a thought or two because its the type of person they are, I myself have been known to be like that very often in the past, but less so recently. Perhaps I'm a prime example of someone that has stopped speaking so much? I know I do a lot less talking now than I'm generally accustomed to, but frankly there hasn't been any real specific reasoning for that... other than perhaps the fact that its no longer appreciated.

Sure, you get the odd person like those I already mentioned that might take some of your words on board, but why spend ages discussing something you feel strongly about and find important, only for it to fall on deaf ears? Its a waste of your time really. So perhaps that has led to me being less vocal, sad to admit as it may be.

I did come out here not so long ago looking for opinions, but sadly due to other commitments I didn't get time to follow that up and by the time I could have, there had been a large time lapse and felt it best left alone really. So apologies to those that contributed there.

I seem to have deviated largely here, so i'll get back on point: I think there is simply a lack of motivation for people. There is little reward to sharing your thoughts so publicly so many people may just not see the point in coming forward to share, not because they are scared of reaction, but mostly because there might actually be no reaction as others just simply walk on by.

Oh.. and thanks for stealing that Scouse twat from my HQ. 3 scousers in my humble abode really was far too many.

Report Post Tip

It is certainly possible to succeed through street speaking, I agree. I just doubt that we'll see a time when it becomes the norm for the majority, or even a significant percentage of the population, unless we (top to bottom) start placing an emphasis upon it.

Whilst we reward those who contribute little to nothing with the loftiest positions in the land, I doubt we can expect any sort of improvement in this regard.

Report Post Tip

You are right, in most cases it does seem to be no and that is very disheartening. It also leads to a bad example.

Unfortunately it is true that you don't need to be the most prolific speaker to get to the top and that is part of the problem. People these days do not see the benefits of speaking in the streets, sharing your opinion and debating on the current hot topics has to help advance themselves in this thing of ours.

Where as the way I see it... It can be one of the most powerful tools someone has in their posession of reaching the top and staying there. The masses will always rule as IronSight has touched on. Having a very well known name and likeable persona that has been shared and spread far and wide through the streets can greatly help a persons push for power. You don't need the biggest gun, the biggest family or even the biggest city to be powerful. What you need is the biggest team, the biggest following. That is much easier achieved through the streets and is sometimes the only way to do it. 

If no one knows you, you will get no where. It's also right in saying though that if you know the right people, you will get everywhere. 

The points I am trying to make aren't against the mute crewleaders or about the streets being dead. It's that the people, the people who so desperately want the old ways of the streets back or the newer who just want to see some life breathed in to our world are the ones who need to do it. If their leaders won't set the example then they need to make their own example. Hell... I'd be happy if even a couple of people followed my example and set down their own path of street activity. Which I very much plan to carry on. 

Report Post Tip

Ok, as a regular to the streets typically contributing to a discussion, not starting one is simply because i am trying to help The Sopranos grow.  I come out when i have time, and some times have to come late to discussions quite simply because is always something i have to do or someone who needs helps.  I am also found at meetings, outside the streets unfortunately and they all take some of my time.

Do i honestly care what i say on the street? to a degree.

Do i care how i say it? yes.

Am i likely to say there are too many crews, leaders put to fill a void, people i don't trust always at the top and have a dislike for experiment city. yes.   I know other people in the same boat, why even this week i heared from one leader outside Chi asking why another leader outside Chi didn't like him.  It can seem childish to some. but when people are choosing a side for a war, sometimes how good those old diplomatic skills can save you better then bodyguards.

My thoughts on free speech, comes in two forms 

1. I ask my family to be respectful when posting and would look at whats said, as to me would be a rule breach as well as the

examining what is said.

2. Free speech can often be down to who is going to back the person up on how much can or cannot be said.  I have seen hands in the 

past or low ranks who are favourites with cliquey groups in charge be able to say what they want and anything done against the           person  meant a city fell for punishing the insult.  Often seeming like an act of provocation.

I also find, there is the tradition old aspect for many, who say all that says has been said, and i will offer nothing new through speech.  

My bloodline goes back further then Jono's and i even remember how jail parties weren't just about the jailbreaks, the jail conversations and jokes and the solidarity in prison was envigorating.  The streets were busy whether with Imchilid, Kanda, Pallida, Shuki. Patti, Vince dimartelli and others lines. Then as time past new faces emerged, however we have split it seems.   Some have evolved to a point they speak better on the streets and in some cases they have devolved to the only case they can talk is out of hatred and spite and in some cases still get an invite to a family even if just to be used for target practice.  On the streets as a whole, i think for years they have dropped and dropped, and with the most action after a war, when someone becomes egotistical or when threats and insults line the street people feed on giving them posts attention.

I have also offered guidelines and backgrounds for speeches and locations and offered any help to my family in this matter and have found in some cases internally and externally rank and units means more to some then a street presence.  People want money, bodyguards, Ca's, perks etc more then being able to notice those around on the streets and i think that is a tragedy.   In the past have seen competitions to try and revive the streets but even these are often short lived.

Report Post Tip

Lizzie! Old friend and even older woman! 

I appreciate the points you have raised and they are valid. I do have a question for you though and for anyone else who has joined in for that matter.

What do you think we, as street speakers and members of our community should do to help newer people or hell, even older people come to the streets to express themselves more? Be it with a story to tell or a debate to start. 

Report Post Tip
Ohaaaai, frands.

How much free speech are people afforded these days? A lot more than at almost any other point in my blood's memory. That is just my opinion,though..I could be wrong.
Why do I think so? Personal experience. I have never felt the need to bite my tongue on ANY topic that has come to these Streets. Never felt like I couldnt bring a particular topic for discussion
Yes, I know I dont really spark controversy with my responses and I have brought just one speech to these Streets but that isnt because I am scared...it's simply because I am,at the end of the day, a lazy fuck.

Moving onto 'why' the Streets are now deserted....well, I have to agree with everyone else here. It just isnt needed and the people who get an actual kick out of a debate or an argument are few and far between. You simply don't need a Street Presence to succeed anymore. I would place a large chunk of blame on IRC Avenue which has slowly replaced the Streets as the place where disagreements are publicly aired out and settled.
After all, you hardly need to make some clever non OOC explanation for how you managed to get some information on someone....you can just scream 'I WHATSAPPED WITH BFF#1 AND HE TOLD ME U H8 MI' in #roomofyourchoice.
Report Post Tip

I'd love someone to take the bull by the horns and actually set their stall out to reward street speaking (or any sort of interacting really) through their family. We have an abundance of real estate waiting to be occupied, so what is to stop a family authorising a crew purely to work at street level? We have 40+ crews and for the most part, they all offer the same things. Why not have one that seeks to employ, motivate and reward those individuals who want to be known for their work in the streets? Sure, they might catch a bullet, but who doesn't? Everyone dies. At least that crew could extensively do things in the street and given the structure of the crew, anyone who joins them knows that the reward mechanism will be geared towards the most honed reputation rather than firearm.

Given how large most families are, I don't think it would be too difficult for one crew of the many to actually do something original and different. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: It's been a while
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL