Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 05:10:14
Page:  1 
Standards on our Streets. Started by: Maria on Jun 10, '14 22:11

Having heard some of the speeches made in the past 24 hours and some of the responses to those speeches, Maria felt the need to stand up and speak out once more. With a sigh, she headed out onto the streets, certain that what she was about to say would most definitely not go down well in some circles, who seemed determined to protect that which undermines the standards of our way of life. Some things, however, needed to be said. 

So, you'll recognize me as someone who, along with much of my line, has spoken about the state of the streets. I've said we need more activity and I'll say it again. I've said we need to help people become ready to speak on the streets, and I hold by that, we do. I am a huge believer in the importance of the streets in our world. I believe that declines in the streets go hand in hand with general declines in standards across our world. 

What I DO wish to clarify, however, and what I DO wish to speak on, is the idea that to increase the quantity of material brought onto our street, we must sacrifice any ideals and standards regarding the quality of that material. 

I see people on a daily basis, and I like to include myself in this number, who take pride in what they do on the streets. We craft our words, we make drafts of our speeches before we ever come near the streets to deliver them, we practice our delivery to others, in case they can see something we can improve upon before we bring it out here. We ensure that our delivery is as good as it possibly can be. And we do this not only for the sakes of our own pride. We do this because we want to make the experience of listening to us speak to be the type of experience that people are able to enjoy. We want to make it an easy experience. We don't want to ramble and babble and trip over our words, contradict our own meanings and still expect others to respond to us and respond coherently and well. We do this because it is polite, because it is easiest for our audiences. We do this because it keeps the basic level of all speeches given here on the streets above a certain standard.  I'm not saying that you all are going to agree with every word we say or find what we say particularly groundbreaking, but when we take the time to keep our work above that standard, I'm sure we can agree that it makes digesting it easier all around. We don't deliver outright perfect speeches constantly, but we do put a lot of time into being as close in terms of good presentation as we possibly can be.

I then see people, also, sadly, on a daily basis, who seem to take very little pride in what they do on the streets. Who make speeches and responses riddled with errors, full of incoherent rambling and sometimes barely even broken up into sentences. Speeches so utterly riddled with the scourge that is blatant OOCitis that I'm amazed these people are still able to stand on two feet. This type of speaking and responding is not limited to only newer bloodlines - there are plenty older who can barely string a half decent sentence together. Some are just about impossible to follow, some are downright confusing, and every single one of those speeches would be many times better for the speaker having had somebody else look over their words first before running to the streets and speaking them. 

I am well aware that there are people on these shores for whom English, the language of our streets, is not their first language. I do not, however, feel like this is an excuse for poor quality speeches. In a world where a large majority speak perfectly good English, I don't see an issue with mailing a friend, or your crew leader, or any other member of your crews upper structures for that matter, a copy of any speech you may wish to make and asking them if they'd mind taking a few moments to look over it and help to tidy it up a little. 

What I actively find worse and more of a detriment to the future of our streets than poor speakers, however, is people who trip over themselves to defend poor speaking. Someone makes a low quality speech, someone else responds, points that out, offers some criticism - doesn't go balls to the wall in saying it's a shit speech, but does basically say, "You could produce something a lot better than how this speech has turned out", and suddenly it's a matter for others to get insanely uppity over. Well, no. 

I've already laid out that there are ways to make a perfectly good speech without yourself being the worlds best speaker. Now, I appreciate that doing so requires a level of effort involving you asking another human being for help, but when a person has failed to do that, I feel as though that is on them and that in bringing their material out in public, they open themselves up for public criticism when their work fails to meet the decent basic standard I mentioned earlier. Cuddling these people really, really tight and patting them on the head for a poor quality speech does not help our streets in the long term. It encourages them to carry on, with no regard for how they present things. 

I'm not suggesting either that public criticism is the way forward for us - it isn't. A few constructive comments may be helpful, making people feel like failures, not so much. It's easy to cross the line into making people feel like failures without even realizing it, because people have that line in different places. What may be water off a ducks back for some people is going to make others feel truly shit. So how is it that I propose we find the balance as a community of mafiosi, between keeping the standards of our streets high, but also encouraging new and less confident speakers to come out here more to speak? 

For a start, I believe that this is an issue that should first be addressed at crew level. I'm quite aware that any days where a strong street presence being essential for anybody who wishes to put on a bold suit are well and truly dead. I'm very aware of the fact that this has allowed for us to have plenty of leaders who either are not confident on the streets themselves, or simply cannot be bothered to be here. This is a problem, however it's not really one that I have answers on solving directly. How can it be solved when our current generation of leaders on the whole spend very little time bringing anything other than simple announcements on to our streets? How can they then turn around to another person and say, "Oh, the bold suit is inaccessible to you until you sort your game out on the streets - something which I can't really be bothered doing myself."? They technically can, but in reality, they're going to look like hypocrites if they do. 

So considering that the leader themselves may not have the best record on the streets - and by extension their hands also, because there really is very little requirement for street presence anywhere in our world these days - what can be done to fix things at a crew level? For crews blessed with a leader who does have strong street presence - The Loops very own lronsight being a very good example of such a leader in my eyes - this probably isn't too big an issue for you. For crews who perhaps do not have a leader with this kind of street presence, I would personally suggest considering adding a "position" to your crew. We have crew accountants, hit squad leaders, witness statement collectors and whatever else. Why not consider assigning somebody specifically to help people who may struggle with their speeches? Have them put up a note in your headquarters with a list of general advice on how to speak publicly, ask them to take some time to read over speeches for people who need it: Give people who may not be confident on our streets a clear place to go for help. Perhaps even have these people ready to give feedback and pointers on any speeches that are made that perhaps aren't so strong. Be proactive at a crew level, try to solve issues with quality before people open themselves up to public criticism. 

The streets are never going to even come close to what they might once have been without an effort from as many members of our community as possible. New voices and voices heard less commonly are a great thing, however they alone are not enough to make our streets thrive again. We need to maintain the quality of our streets every bit as much as we need to increase the quantity of material on our streets. In some ways, this may actually take more effort than increasing the quantity. It may not be pleasant and it may from time to time require people to go out of their way to help others, and yes, it may even mean allowing people to take some public criticism from time to time if nothing else is sinking in. 

I am personally confident, however, that there is enough compassion and talent within our world that we can have the best of both worlds out here. 

Her piece said, Maria hops up onto a nearby wall and waits to see if anybody might have anything to say in response.

Report Post Tip

Wow. Just wow. This is a street speech. Before I begin let me just say something to the newer bloodlines of this thing of ours. In the grander scheme of things, I'm sure Maria won't mind me tell you this. Maria is not that new. The difference between her and most other newer bloodlines is that she was tutored and mentored by people who actively encouraged and praised a good street presence and was taught early on how to conduct herself in the streets. This can be the same for everyone! Regardless, as Maria said a bit later on, of whether or not English is your first language or knowing how to construct your sentences and words is a 1st class trait of yours or one that is incredibly lacking. Thanks for the great example Maria. 

As for your chosen topic today. I'll admit, I like a good debate and some back and forth so I nit picked at everything you just said but fortunately or unfortunately I can't find anything I massively disagree on. There are two things I want to touch on really.

Constructive critisism can be a great thing when done correctly. For those newer to our shores who really want to give it a good go and bring themselves out in to the streets, un-aided and un-polished. Not having their leaders or hands checking over what they want to say before they actually say it I feel a bit of public criticism can be a good thing. But as you say Maria, only for those who can actually handle it. People have different lines and those lines are often spread different distances apart from each other. So be fucking gentle. There is an age old trick for when passing on criticism to someone who is just learning. Build, break and build. Basically... Find a positive about what the person has done or said and commend them for it. Then offer your criticism with constructive feed back and then commend again for another positive of what they have said or done. It's so simple yet so effective in helping people to get to a point where they are competent and then confident enough to start doing it completely on their own. Which leads me on to the next thing I wanted to touch on.

This should be done at crew level in my opinion and should always have a dedicated person or people to teach and train people on the way of the streets. We always have people ready and waiting to teach and train people how to hit and earn money as standard. Why not for public appearences. After all what we do and say is a reflection of the people who are above us. The leaders, the RH's and the LH's. Just as the Right Hand Man is a reflection of the crewleader him or herself. So when these people are in public, in the streets or hell even over on OOC avenue, would you not want people to look at him or her and think "Yup, he's been taught well. He's in so and so's family and those bastards have standards."

What your members do and how they act is a reflection of those that have taught them.

Report Post Tip

Maria is not that old*. (Second line in)

Report Post Tip

Sat on a nearby bench reading a newspaper, Paul notices Maria as she begins her speech. He waits until she has finished and clears his throat.

Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Paul Heyman. And I stand before you tonight as the advocate for the 1 in 21 and 1. Because my client, Brock Lesnar, conquered The Undertaker's undefeated streak at Wrestlemania.

However, in answer to the questions you pose Maria, these are two sides of the same coin. On one hand we need to encourage people to come out to the streets and speak. That this has recently begun to happen is clearly a good thing. The other criterion that needs to be filled in order for the streets to thrive is for those speeches to be purposeful and engaging. This has not necessarily been realised just yet. However, it is a work in progress. With experience and the necessary guidance, that will come. Indeed, criticism following speeches may aid that. Constructive criticism is the best form of criticism, as long as it is done in a compassionate manner. If it is not, and people jump down a speaker's throat on the grounds that the speech is of a poor quality, that's not going to help anyone or anything: least of all the streets themselves, as it holds the potential for hounding someone away who may have thrived with a little help and guidance. A potential means of achieving this without the potential for public humiliation would be for someone who is well versed in street speaking, not necessarily from within the speaker's family, to send the speaker a message by mail offering advice on how to hone their talents, and offer practice for the delivery of a speech before it is done. I think this would help more than publicly calling the speaker out.

Clearly, speaking on these streets is not going to be for everyone. However, it is up to those in power to set a necessary example in order to encourage the honing of such skills, and it is obviously desirable for leaders themselves to maintain an active presence on the streets, not just for the benefit of their own members but for our world as a whole: for the streets offer a degree of accountability that cannot be achieved through other means. Having read through the journals of my ancestors, it is clear that there has been a lack of leadership in this regard, in particular relating to the encouragement of speaking on these streets, and it did impact on my ancestors' willingness to speak. The idea of opening up a position within a family is a good one, and I would consider it beneficial in terms of improving quality while also improving accessibility to the streets. However, it's clearly not a good thing if that cannot be leaders themselves. Perhaps the aforementioned encouragement should first be delivered to leaders with a view to helping their members.

Overall, however, I do agree with what you're trying to say Maria, and I hope some of the ideas you have put forward in your speech can be acted upon.

Report Post Tip

I agree that the standards have dropped and quite dramatically I might add. I'm shocked that there are so many people around these days and only a handful seem to have an opinion on any of the issues brought to our streets. A while ago you would hear a lot of speakers on our streets and the majority of them would be well spoken. It was because of this that when the odd, no named C popped up spouting some utter shit, it would be easily overlooked because of what we already had around. However when someone comes to the streets talking like an utter retard these days, it is a lot more noticeable due to the lack of street speakers we have around.

Those experienced in the streets need to give it a kick start and get it buzzing again, pose questions to the masses, throw in a bit of controversy if needs be. I admire what you've said here, Maria, it's something that must definitely be addressed, it can't continue like this forever. As for doing this at a crew level I'm not sure it will work. The current set up is one whereby you have too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Firstly, finding someone willing to mentor a person in street speaking will be a hard enough task since there seem to be only a real handful of people coming out here. Secondly, those who would be willing would have a very small amount of mafiosi to work with, as per my recent speech regarding the dust collectors, there seem to be very few active mobsters within some of the individual crews, couple that with the amount of people actually wanting to come to the streets and you don't have a great deal to work with. Even the amount of retards coming out here is low.

I honestly believe it's down to those who frequent the streets more often to get the ball rolling. Failing that then hopefully the Gods may step in and offer some more incentives for street speakers.

Report Post Tip

First off, thanks for adding spark to the streets with this discussion. Though, I only could hear the first minute or so before you delved so deep into it, I blame my attention deficit disorder. I still managed to get a grasp by hearing the other short, precise and to the point responses by others who chimed in. 

Now, from what I gathered. 

Speeches don't have to be prepared and analyzed by peers as if presenting it to a committee meeting. Who cares really for perfection? Strive for it, but, have fun as that's one of the fundamental pillars this world is built upon. By adding several filters of editors and critics to ones proposed speech idea will only deter future street endeavors. 

I believe it's safe to assume you have a blood line that has been coached by old blood lines. That's fantastic, really, thanks for gracing us with ideas and thoughts of the old, it helps. It's a new generation now though and reminiscing won't help, nor will bringing back past ideals now to our current state. This is a new age.

Let those who dare explore The Streets learn it by trial and error as that's the way they learn everything else. We can coach them all the way but don't have to force it upon them. I find that silly to run anything crew level before hitting the streets, really. People already know they're accountable for their words and it's seen in the obituaries. We aren't babysitters and sure as hell don't have to hold an associates hand in The Streets while they toss words together then get it filtered a dozen times.

All in all. I say forget processing street speeches, speak the way you know and put your best foot forward when putting a thought out there. Applaud those who come out here and be easy with the criticism, doing just that will motivate the speaker to continue on. 

Thanks again for bringing this to the streets. Your speaking ability is immaculate, thank God for your filters and peer editors. 

Report Post Tip

The discussion between these youngsters caught the attention of the old Russian man, who was sitting on the balcony across the street, drinking his afternoon tea.

A knock on the door followed by the voice of one of his men on the other side of the door notifying him about the car waiting for him downstairs.
He drinks up the rest of his tea, folds his newspaper and get downstairs.

As the car drives past the crowd he mumbles to himself;

If you can't bite, then don't run around in park and bark.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

lronSight listens quietly then clears his throat before he begins to speak,

"I would like to first mention their actually was a crew editor position in many families a long time ago, according to my journals. The position died off because it was so rarely used because most people were able to find a friend to edit for them, but it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a second go."

"I agree with most of the rest of what you said so I'll thank you for bringing up such a wonderful topic and exploring it in such full detail and end my two cents on the original topic with that."

lronSight then sighs,

Firstly, finding someone willing to mentor a person in street speaking will be a hard enough task since there seem to be only a real handful of people coming out here.

"My line has been here for years offering help along with a few choice others. This simply isn't true if you actually look for it."

Secondly, those who would be willing would have a very small amount of mafiosi to work with, as per my recent speech regarding the dust collectors, there seem to be very few active mobsters within some of the individual crews, couple that with the amount of people actually wanting to come to the streets and you don't have a great deal to work with. Even the amount of retards coming out here is low.

"I'm just... wondering why you felt the need to word it like that. How is one supposed to have a discussion where you so commonly refer to chunks of the population as retards? Why couldn't you have just spoken about the lack of total responses, regardless of quality."

I honestly believe it's down to those who frequent the streets more often to get the ball rolling. Failing that then hopefully the Gods may step in and offer some more incentives for street speakers.

"This is also a bad idea, in my opinion. When the gods first gave us VIP points the quality of speeches and responses started tanking dramatically and the good conversations were being drowned out by the seas of crappy conversations for points according to my family journals. Incentive is already there whether people notice it or not, there is something to be gained from being a vocal leader and vocal leaders don't have to be crew leaders or hands, they're just people a large portion of the community can get behind because of the type of message they wish to spread."

"I apologize for picking out your ideas, I just wanted to express my disagreements with some of the logic and wording. That being said, I do like the amount of thought that went into this despite my disagreement with the wording and some opinions. It's nice to see more people out on these streets partaking in discussions."

lronSight turns to Battista,

"Ah yes, attention deficit disorder might be to blame even though that would likely also hinder your ability to listen to more than one response. It could also be from simple laziness or ineptitude, but I'll cast you the benefit of the doubt and agree it's an attention deficit disorder. Either way is there a point to bringing up a subject like that in that manner? To tell a speaker you didn't even bother to listen all the way through at their own speech is honestly revolting in my mind."

Speeches don't have to be prepared and analyzed by peers as if presenting it to a committee meeting. Who cares really for perfection? Strive for it, but, have fun as that's one of the fundamental pillars this world is built upon. By adding several filters of editors and critics to ones proposed speech idea will only deter future street endeavors. 

"Speeches don't have to be prepared? Have you told any speeches before? Hell, even now I keep looking down at little notes I took listening to Maria and the responses because I can't give a speech off the top of my head and guarantee I'll hit every subject I planned to touch on. Adding editors makes a speech come out purer, which for many of the speakers I'm in touch with, is something they want to give off and adds to the fun of delivering it. I also believe that many people actually think looking like an idiot because you clearly didn't prepare for your speech at all isn't very fun."

I believe it's safe to assume you have a blood line that has been coached by old blood lines. That's fantastic, really, thanks for gracing us with ideas and thoughts of the old, it helps. It's a new generation now though and reminiscing won't help, nor will bringing back past ideals now to our current state. This is a new age.

"Fair point that it could be a new generation needing new ideas if you have them. What are these new ideas you're bringing forward that will overtake the ideas of old?"

Let those who dare explore The Streets learn it by trial and error as that's the way they learn everything else. We can coach them all the way but don't have to force it upon them. I find that silly to run anything crew level before hitting the streets, really. People already know they're accountable for their words and it's seen in the obituaries. We aren't babysitters and sure as hell don't have to hold an associates hand in The Streets while they toss words together then get it filtered a dozen times.

"Is that how you teach in Philadelphia? I honestly feel awful that my members have had to learn as much as they have through that way and am working on a project to prevent that exact thing because that's irresponsible leading and teaching in my eyes. Coaching does help... a lot in almost every subject, otherwise coaches wouldn't be a thing. It doesn't make the students incapable of handling themselves it makes them prepared and gives them a safety blanket that usually pushes them to reach for greater heights without fear of falling as hard as they otherwise might have. You don't 'babysit' street speakers for your own reasons... don't come out here proud of them unless you want to be called an incompetent leader in the streets because throwing newer bloodlines to the wolves is the sign of an incompetent leader in my eyes. I'd also say that exact mentality probably plays a part in why Philadelphia seems to contribute so little to our streets."

Thanks again for bringing this to the streets. Your speaking ability is immaculate, thank God for your filters and peer editors. 

"Sarcasm works best when you're not out here actually bragging about your own ineptitude."

lronSight then looks at the drunken Godfather driving by in a car mumbling nonsense and sighs.

"Are we really at a state where Godfathers think it's okay to drive by in vehicles and mutter nonsensical statements without any further explanation? I don't think so, so I'll just chalk that incident up to the booze and broads of LA. Must be some damn good stuff because I could've sworn that was worded in a way that could be taken as a blatant intimidation tactic, or at the bare minimum can be taken as discouraging someone from speaking for only God knows what reason because it was just a random muttering."

Report Post Tip

Ah yes, attention deficit disorder might be to blame even though that would likely also hinder your ability to listen to more than one response. It could also be from simple laziness or ineptitude, but I'll cast you the benefit of the doubt and agree it's an attention deficit disorder. Either way is there a point to bringing up a subject like that in that manner? To tell a speaker you didn't even bother to listen all the way through at their own speech is honestly revolting in my mind.

You're right. Though, seeing as the rest of the responses weren't all at once, I was able to comprehend them. Unfortunately you're far engaged in your brash criticism, you, being incompetent rendered your thought process useless. It's ok though, this is a learning experience and well, we'll chalk it up to that. One doesn't need to hear the entire thing to get the gist of where it was going, well, perhaps in your case..it certainly needed to be beat in? 

"Speeches don't have to be prepared? Have you told any speeches before? Hell, even now I keep looking down at little notes I took listening to Maria and the responses because I can't give a speech off the top of my head and guarantee I'll hit every subject I planned to touch on. Adding editors makes a speech come out purer, which for many of the speakers I'm in touch with, is something they want to give off and adds to the fun of delivering it. I also believe that many people actually think looking like an idiot because you clearly didn't prepare for your speech at all isn't very fun."

Yes, plenty of speeches, but who are you to whom I need to explain things? Glad you took notes though, I didn't. Then again, I was able to get things just by the ramble of the original speaker. Maybe I don't have such a disorder, maybe I could refer someone for you though? Why editors? We're not all running in a campaign and no it doesn't add to the fun of it. People put their words together out here on the streets and present it how they know, is all. Then again, we're speaking of opinions and I'll respect yours. We see it different.

"Fair point that it could be a new generation needing new ideas if you have them. What are these new ideas you're bringing forward that will overtake the ideas of old?"

New ideas? To allow the new generation learn and bloom as they are doing all on their own. I mean, assuming you're not a hypocrite here, you heard my spiel right? We're also here to speak about our general opinions, not analyze each other here. I never hired you as my editor, did I? If I did, excuse me, you're fired.

"Is that how you teach in Philadelphia? I honestly feel awful that my members have had to learn as much as they have through that way and am working on a project to prevent that exact thing because that's irresponsible leading and teaching in my eyes. Coaching does help... a lot in almost every subject, otherwise coaches wouldn't be a thing. It doesn't make the students incapable of handling themselves it makes them prepared and gives them a safety blanket that usually pushes them to reach for greater heights without fear of falling as hard as they otherwise might have. You don't 'babysit' street speakers for your own reasons... don't come out here proud of them unless you want to be called an incompetent leader in the streets because throwing newer bloodlines to the wolves is the sign of an incompetent leader in my eyes. I'd also say that exact mentality probably plays a part in why Philadelphia seems to contribute so little to our streets."

First off. The way Philadelphia is ran and taught is none of your damn business, we'll make that damn clear. I'm glad your members are gathering an understanding. My family is doing just fine as well. I don't know what to say about the rest of your ramble here, it's irrelevant. Though again, you can certainly mind your own damn business as again, Philadelphia is none of your concern. You can forward all suggestions to the appropriate channels.

"Sarcasm works best when you're not out here actually bragging about your own ineptitude."

There was no bragging. Though your lack of logic and over zealous behavior to criticize and move off subject has clouded your better half, assuming you had one to begin with.

Anyways, I appreciate your concern and thank you for your contribution to the discussion..rather your nonsensical banter that lead really no where. Though, you knew what sarcasm was, right..? That was rhetorical by the way.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

You're right. Though, seeing as the rest of the responses weren't all at once, I was able to comprehend them. Unfortunately you're far engaged in your brash criticism, you, being incompetent rendered your thought process useless. It's ok though, this is a learning experience and well, we'll chalk it up to that. One doesn't need to hear the entire thing to get the gist of where it was going, well, perhaps in your case..it certainly needed to be beat in? 

"Quite frankly, you obviously know nothing of street speaking or attention deficit disorder because anyone with the disorder likely wouldn't have actually been capable of sticking around long enough to hear a second comment, pretty much regardless of the gap in time. You also seemed to miss an elementary fact of speaking, simply having lots of context does not make something repetitive, redundant, or unnecessary. If those characteristics exist they do so because of poor speaking, not because there are lots of words."

"Do you really wish to school me on street speaking, Battista? Start by proving you're actually capable of coming up with a speech all on your own. You can do it! You can be a big boy, grow a pair, and come up with one! You can contribute to the streets more than your average Earner!"

Yes, plenty of speeches, but who are you to whom I need to explain things? Glad you took notes though, I didn't. Then again, I was able to get things just by the ramble of the original speaker. Maybe I don't have such a disorder, maybe I could refer someone for you though? Why editors? We're not all running in a campaign and no it doesn't add to the fun of it. People put their words together out here on the streets and present it how they know, is all. Then again, we're speaking of opinions and I'll respect yours. We see it different.

"You were able to get things by the ramble of the original speaker you were so forward in claiming you didn't hear all the way out? How odd. You're also admitting to having taken claim to a disorder you don't have, one that you've blamed for one of your inabilities as a human being... again rather odd."

"Who are you going to refer me to exactly? Was that comment intentional or did you just miss the part where it needs context because you decided you're too cool for editors and double checking? Because as it stands it leads me to believe the man claiming to be incapable of listening to a speech is accusing the one capable of having an attention deficit disorder... which would be idiotic at best."

"The reason we have editors is to make sure we don't make asses out of ourselves like you're doing right now. One probably would've warned you against openly claiming you couldn't even be bothered to listen the whole way through. It adds to the fun for myself and Maria because we actually take pride in high quality speeches. I won't respect yours because you're intentionally trying to promote unchecked work and trial by fire for impressionable youths. You're literally hurting the community at large and you came out here to tell us all about it. Thanks."

New ideas? To allow the new generation learn and bloom as they are doing all on their own. I mean, assuming you're not a hypocrite here, you heard my spiel right? We're also here to speak about our general opinions, not analyze each other here. I never hired you as my editor, did I? If I did, excuse me, you're fired.

"I did hear all your spiel. Exactly what do you do for the newer bloodlines looking to speak? Would you even be capable of identifying any for me? Your opinions were poor attempts at analytical criticisms in the form of satire about a well thought out speech. Take it on the chin, buttercup, you asked for this by being a dick. You also can't afford my editing skills, the first cost is putting your pride aside to give me the opportunity to pick apart your weaknesses, be they grammatical or more in the creative process. The people who ask for my help will tell you I ripped them a new one the first time I edited for them to show them what someone could do without making comments personal, unless their grammar is better than mine and I'm incapable. Which has happened."

First off. The way Philadelphia is ran and taught is none of your damn business, we'll make that damn clear. I'm glad your members are gathering an understanding. My family is doing just fine as well. I don't know what to say about the rest of your ramble here, it's irrelevant. Though again, you can certainly mind your own damn business as again, Philadelphia is none of your concern. You can forward all suggestions to the appropriate channels.

"The way anyone in this community is taught is my damned fucking business. My bloodline has been teaching people from other cities/districts/families in both street speaking and general mafia ways for years now and the fact you're so fucking stupid you admit to basically making your members learn on their own is a huge fucking problem in my book. The way you run things is also an issue of mine because I do business with your city and if an organization is fucking up you'd better believe I'm not gonna be happy if business suffers. I don't believe this is how Philadelphia is actually run, but you're supposed to be a representative and you're speaking this kind of nonsense so I will raise questions about what is going on over there because I care about the community at large and you're yet to prove that's not how you're actually teaching over there. Which definitely should've been included in your first response."

There was no bragging. Though your lack of logic and over zealous behavior to criticize and move off subject has clouded your better half, assuming you had one to begin with.

"The word bragging was fitting the satire of you actually being so stupid as to bring ideas like that out to the streets and criticize another in such a mocking way. You wanna play the satire game? Then be prepared for others to do the exact same thing to you."

Anyways, I appreciate your concern and thank you for your contribution to the discussion..rather your nonsensical banter that lead really no where. Though, you knew what sarcasm was, right..? That was rhetorical by the way.

"The message did what it was supposed to, little boy. How are those feathers of yours? They look rather riled up to me. Next time you wanna criticize or discuss a topic, don't be a dick and just give the speaker respectful responses or expect a nice little conversation with yours truly again."

Report Post Tip

Now now, lronSight. You make some fair points, but you don't at the same time. I love that you like to express your voice and opinions in a great fashion, but you also know that I'll be one of the first ones out here to discuss any conflicting opinions as well. And well, let me correct or express a few things.

"You can do it! You can be a big boy, grow a pair, and come up with one! You can contribute to the streets more than your average Earner!"

Immature to say the least, and you know that. Nothing is gained from this, only lost. And my views don't share yours because I don't think it has anything to do with Philly, but I think it had a mix to do with EVERYONE. To call Philly of their teachings that you know nothing about, and only suspect, doesn't honestly cut it. 

I  think you're overstepping your boundaries here.

I don't see you talking about the capabilities of that city? Even with the Rainbow Tax announced, it might have forced Philly to the street, but even with our activity, they were the top spot for a bit.

Battista is clearly a well composed speaker and respect him for coming out here to share his opinion. Did he HAVE to come out here to talk about something controversial that was required of him? Fuck no. For one person to think so, is fine. However, the way you express it quite close minded and for one person's (or even a couple) belief to be taken so heavily from others isn't the way things are done. The way you might want them done? Sure, but that's you and every has their preferences. For you to think that a city isn't teaching what is correct is a little absurd.

Personally, Philly has been one of my favorite cities to watch grow. They've had a lot of new talent and there doesn't need to be any bashing for them not having your preference of a crazy amount of street presence. It's what we like to do, and they will do what they like to do. I didn't have to watch Battista very long to know that he as an individual who is a very capable person of talking on these streets. You need to worry about how The Loop runs things, not Philly. Nor do you need to feel like hammering your opinion into the ground is the way to go about this.

That said, I see plenty of things that I would consider 'quality' that are popping up. I suggest that people get into these and debate (or don't and be a bunch of boring wooden logs). Just because lronSight has a goal and vision of how he wants things, doesn't mean my opinion is always going to be the same. However, I would say that I like to see people trying over not trying at all. Is there plenty of people out there to help? Sure, but where are the people to let people know that there is help? Things aren't built in a day, and everyone is going to critisize something... all the time. Have you seen my first speech? It's fucking cringeworthy.

But encouraging these people is the way to go about it, not bring them down. Different people are taught different ways, so to say one way is the optimal way, is a little bit stupid. People are sensitive with their work, and others not so much. There's a lot to micromanage when you're running a crew on your own. To make room to find every key point to this life of ours and teach them to the prime rate... well, it isn't going to happen like some people would hope. People need to seek out help when it comes to their work, I can agree with that. However, I think people shouldn't be as harsh when it comes to debating. Of course you can belittle them and blow them away with your speech, but what's the point in that? To feel tough? Meh. I have better things to do, than to do that. I might be wrong for that, but it's just my perspective.

I respect improving work more than anything, because I know what it's like. I've been at the bottom, barely able to contribute anything that that I'd consider 'quality' or valuable at all. Perhaps instead of putting these people on the spotlight, that it's take to a more private scene? I don't believe it will change either way, to be honest. People are capable or they're not... You can normally tell the difference from the get-go.

Report Post Tip
My line has been here for years offering help along with a few choice others. This simply isn't true if you actually look for it.

And well done for that, but finding one for each family who actually has that ability is a little harder to come by I'd imagine?

I'm just... wondering why you felt the need to word it like that. How is one supposed to have a discussion where you so commonly refer to chunks of the population as retards? Why couldn't you have just spoken about the lack of total responses, regardless of quality

Because they are retarded? When I speak about this particular point I mean there aren't as many people coming out with poor quality speeches compared to past times. Seems pointless to debate that one, let's just call a spade, a spade, eh?

At this point I'm more concerned at the amount of people out here as opposed to the quality and I think that's the thing we should work on, encouraging more people to come out here and sharing their views on the topics at hand. Once their attention is captured by the streets it's then that we can work with these people to improve the way they present themselves.

Speeches don't have to be prepared and analyzed by peers as if presenting it to a committee meeting. Who cares really for perfection?

Batista, while perfection is a far fetched goal, surely you'd expect your members to at least present themselves in a way which doesn't reflect badly on you or your family? It may sound silly but I've known leaders in the past to have their members ask for permission before coming out to the streets and making their own speech, just to ensure that they have an actual point to make instead of making themselves look silly and in turn making the rest of the family look a little stupid too. If I was a leader and I saw a high ranked member from my family talking shit out here I would definitely feel a little embarrassed, but then maybe I'm just more of a traditional kinda guy.

Perhaps instead of putting these people on the spotlight, that it's take to a more private scene?

You're right Mako, I've done it myself previously and have put people in the spot light but afterwards I have spoke to them privately and gave them advice. I think it's just something that those whose ancestors tend to go back a bit further expect a certain standard in the street and so get a little uppity when it drops.

Again as said previously, I think it's really down to those frequenting the streets more often to try and entice people out here with thought provoking speeches and light hearted fun.
Report Post Tip

Ok, well, IronSight. I see we've, er, you've gone off on a tangent cursing and sputtering all sorts of ill things. I may have incited this, though, I don't see why you've made it so personal as we're both expressing simple opinions. Anyways, I'll respond to just a bit of it as the majority was plain anger and sputtering ill words.

"Quite frankly, you obviously know nothing of street speaking or attention deficit disorder because anyone with the disorder likely wouldn't have actually been capable of sticking around long enough to hear a second comment, pretty much regardless of the gap in time. You also seemed to miss an elementary fact of speaking, simply having lots of context does not make something repetitive, redundant, or unnecessary. If those characteristics exist they do so because of poor speaking, not because there are lots of words."

"Do you really wish to school me on street speaking, Battista? Start by proving you're actually capable of coming up with a speech all on your own. You can do it! You can be a big boy, grow a pair, and come up with one! You can contribute to the streets more than your average Earner!"

Hm, well, I'm out here aren't I? So I do know a thing or two. The disorder hits with the whole being easily distracted, and so hearing the other comments captivated my attention and then the following. So yes, it worked perfectly. Context? I don't recall ever speaking of this, I only said I was able to get the gist from the first minute or so. My ancestors left good notes on such topics.

Ok. Seeing as you've contributed so much yourself aside your Headquarter staple threads. This was rather an infantile remark and doesn't warrant any further attention.

Ahm.

I'm not here to argue or cast mud, IronSight, more so debate. It's rather unprofessional and unbecoming. What we're trying to bring to the streets, is a flow of ideas and opinions. Sure tell me you don't agree with my thoughts, that's fine. You're debating and telling me what you think is best, I respect your opinion. I'll most likely put it into my toolbox and will share it later, that's the purpose. Now, to tell me my words are crap and my ideas are pointless? That's going completely against what we're all striving for here, IronSight.

We've gone off on a tangent here and it's not fair to the original speaker. I do encourage my family to speak and I don't lead them in blind. They're quite aware of the public attacks that may ensue and that, is what scares most people from taking a leap.

I don't want to further this altercation, so, I'll add something positive to the original purpose of this speech.

We need to figure out a way that best works for each one of us to motivate new speakers. Sure, their products may not be the best worded and so eloquently spoken pieces, but encourage to continue and strive for new ideas. One can always do better. Let's keep working at it, I know that we'll see a rebound here. We have loads of quality members of our community who are eager to learn and participate. Lets harness their motivation to create new ideas and speak of quality discussions out here by encouraging and helping where we can. If that means help when requested? Gladly. Comment so to help their speech flourish with others opinions and thoughts? I'm game and I'll see to it.

I can clearly see your motivation to strive for the good of your members and society and it's admirable, IronSight. I applaud you on this. I encourage you to continue, save the anger and ill words, I'd like to think we're all quality people here. 

Report Post Tip

There is a lot more here i'd like to discuss, when I have the time. As i'm just quickly passing through though I wanted to say something.

Starscream, what in the fuck does that even mean in the context of this discussion? 

Report Post Tip

This is a bit out of my comfort zone. This may touch on a few topics i've read over the last few weeks. I've read a lot of opinions about street presence or lack of it, the poor quality of speeches ect. over the 4 months since I joined this wonderful world of  ours. Public speaking isn't my strong suit and I've been quite happy to sit in the shadows listening and learning. I thought the streets were a place where you go when you wanna go, speak when you wish to speak, good, bad, or indifferent, a place to be heard if you had something to say. One of the many things I wonder about is the number of times I've heard that the streets are dead or how they've declined over the years. It seems to me that more than a few people here have blood lines that go a long way back, back to a time when hard work, rank and a persons honor actually meant something. I hear a lot of whining and complaining (for lack of a better way to put it) about how times have changed our way of life, not necessarily for the better in many ways. There are many people including myself whose blood line starts in the here and now, where what we see and live now is all we know. For those of you that think the newer generations of our world (I include myself here) have no true grasp on what hard work is, the meaning of trust and respect, and have no true loyalty to anything or anyone, expect everything to be handed to us, well, my thought on that is simple. There are cultures out there where the elder generations teach the newer generations how things are done, the proper way to speak and conduct yourself in the streets. They lead by example when it comes to teaching about trust, respect and earning your way through the ranks, through relentless hard work and dedication. They aren't afraid to slap someone upside the head when they screw up, teaching them by what ever means necessary the true meaning of honor and accountability. 

Perhaps a bit to idealistic. 

Report Post Tip

Well, things escalated quickly here. I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to reply to my speech - even if you didn't actually take the time to read it, I still thank you for your responses. Debate is always good and I'm perfectly aware that plenty of things that I say are about as far away from being everyone's cup of tea as it's possible to get. 

In the interests of not wanting to step into the middle of any of the arguments that have run through the responses to this speech, I'm going to question a couple of points given by different people, but not try to give an in depth response to points that have already been argued. 

Maria turns to Achilles, and begins to speak with a smile. 

My friend, I thank you for your reply and I very much agree in particular with the idea that the current set up of us having too many Chiefs and not enough Indians is in particular an issue in our world today. I'm not sure what can be done to help with that. On the one hand, the Gods are saying that the current situation is in the hands of us mortals, but it isn't so long since the Gods enforced the instant re-population of any fallen district, with harsh penalties should this fail to happen. In other words - the mindset was created by the Gods and I firmly believe now that unless the Gods make changes to the way our world works and is organized, this mindset will NEVER change and our world will suffer for it.

Anyhow - that's definitely another debate. So, I'll move on to what I actually wanted to respond to.

I have to ask you, quite honestly, what more do you feel we, those who frequent the streets, can do? There are a number of people here responding to this speech who are considered some of the more active personalities on the streets, we already work hard to put out good content. What else is it you think we can do to get the ball rolling, as you say? 

Turning now to Battista, Maria's smile fades somewhat. It becomes quite obvious by the look on her face that she has felt somewhat disrespected by Battista and the fact that he has so proudly admitted that he couldn't be bothered to actually listen to her speech. 

Battista, I'm sorry you found my speech to be one that "delved in too deep" - although I cannot help but feel, as I have when others have complained that this speech is too long, that this is rather symptomatic of the fact that the standards across our streets have fallen, when people basically cannot be bothered to sit and listen to a speech that is longer than the norm, despite the amount of effort put into making it digestible even in such long form. 

I really would prefer to not re-ignite an argument with you though, as my Godfather has already challenged lronsight over this. You clearly are a strong speaker yourself and I do hope to see more of your speaking out here on our streets, I think we'd benefit on the whole from your insights, if you feel you can take the time to listen to the words of others. 

While I'm not particularly predisposed to worry about whether or not you care for perfection, since you've already not cared to actually listen to my whole speech, I have to challenge your statement about speeches being "prepared and analyzed by peers as if presenting it to a committee meeting".

I do not feel as though any speech I have ever given has been prepared for delivery in such a fashion - I have merely had friends read over my notes to make sure everything I have down on paper makes sense to more people than just me. I'm sure there must be more people than myself out there who have a tendency to have things make perfect sense in their own head, only to try to explain it in the same way to others only to have them left scratching their heads. 

Despite your obvious disdain for the idea of taking on board the input of others before stepping out here, and your derogatory hints about my speaking skills being useless without the aid of others, I actually am pretty damned confident in my own ability to get my point across on the streets however am not so arrogant as to assume that my unfiltered thoughts would make for either fantastic reading or interesting debate. As somebody who's speaking style on the streets is often born from having strong feelings on a particular topic also, having a second pair of eyes on my work can be very useful in ensuring that nobody can take my words in a way they aren't intended. It is often easy to slip in a phrase that I may think little of that another person may read and go, "Hey Maria, be careful with that, you might want to reword that bit.", I'd rather them do that than wake up dead because someone with a big gun took something the wrong way. But hey, if you'd rather send un-confident associates out with absolutely no safety net, that's your business and I wish you well with it.

Shaking her head slightly, she turns now to lronsight.

lronsight, I know that for saying this, there is a very fair possibility that I am going to get smacked over the head with one of your many wrenches, but thank you. You more than anybody else in my eyes has the right to speak out against the way people think they can improve upon our streets and our speakers, because you more than anybody else has put the time and effort in to encourage people like me to come back onto these streets. Thank you for all your help. It's appreciated hugely. 

Shifting round a little more to face the group at large again, she thinks for a moment before speaking once more. 

I hope my response to this speech hasn't been "too long" and that everyone is still following me alright. Thank you again for all your time in hearing me out (if you did manage to do that) and replying (even if you didn't manage to hear me out). 

Report Post Tip

I walk toward the street corner slowly and with some trepidation.  It has been bugging me – these things I have heard lately.  And yet, do I dare share my opinion?  One part of me says – NO!  Stay out of the fray!  These people do not want to hear other opinions!  They like hearing themselves speak and it appears like there is quite a clique here – a groupie thing if you will.  I hear self-congratulatory speeches abound.  You can almost hear them patting themselves on the back for being so erudite.  Another part of me says “Chickennnnnnnnn.”  Do I let the chicken win out?  I think not!  I am made of sterner stuff than that.  Oh Yes I Am!!

I carefully place my soap box on a likely corner where there are a few passers by to hear my words, jump up on top so all can see me and clear my throat.

Ahem  I would like to share just a few words with all of you who choose to listen.  We have a history here of speaking our minds – and this is a good thing.  A really good thing!  Only by sharing our minds can we learn how others think and feel and we then can judge what our future actions may be with regard to each other.  In essence we learn about each other.  Our likes and our dislikes.  We also learn about how each other is likely to react in various situations.  All of this is to the good, I am sure you will agree.  There have been a few speakers lately though who criticize how we speak.  If we are unlettered and our words are not arranged just so, we are looked down upon.  It has been said that those who speak should only speak if they do it well.  I am thinking this is not the place though for Speech 101.  It is not the place for only those who have completed English 1A and 1B and have a mastery of the English language.  Others have opinions too, and if those opinions and thoughts are expressed with a less than complete mastery of the English language it does not mean they are not less valid.  After all we live in a world of crime – not many of us have completed high school, much less college.  Many of us are rather unschooled but we have important thoughts to express – even if it is in broken English with incomplete sentences and *gasp* dangling participles.  I say, for those of you who are not all that talented at speechifying – go for it anyway!  Don’t mind the naysayers with their red pens, critiquing what you say.  Just let people know what you think.  Thank you all for your time.

I hop off my soap box, glancing around for red pens.  Seeing mouths agape (I do not know yet if it is just astonishment at a newcomer speaking her piece or if I actually managed to say something that struck a nerve) I decide I best make a hasty retreat.  I pack up my belongings and skedaddle to the far corner of the adjacent park and sit under a nice elm tree.  I have pockets to pick and I need to plan just where in this lovely town I need to go next.

Report Post Tip

Don’t mind the naysayers with their red pens, critiquing what you say.  Just let people know what you think.  Thank you all for your time.

"Your perception of what is meant by a poor quality speech is very limited at best by my interpretation of everything you've said despite the fact I picked out one line. Why do people assume that comments about low quality speeches are deemed so by just the red pen? The point of this discussion is to encourage others to try putting a full effort into putting their absolute best foot forward and coming out to the streets. It's obvious when someone struggles with the English language, it's poor effort when they don't seek some editing to clean it up in a way that holds their message to its original meaning but presents itself in a way easier on the eyes for those they're reaching out to. If someone comes out and says four or five lines of nonsense then walks away they've also given a poor quality speech, usually. I've heard of one or two that actually impressed crowds with so few words but it's better to assume little thought was put into the words when you see so few. There are also those who come out with an idea and present it in a way where they unintentionally send a message driven by emotion rather than thought, which is something many current and past speakers have struggled with. Statements of this nature can be inspiring, but the unedited versions are far from acceptable for the public eye and to post one of those would be just begging for trouble."

"Please don't promote shoddy work, I know it's not your intention but if you tell the world to speak in any form they wish without fear of consequence you're begging to drown in a flow of sub-par work never meant to see the light of day that will separate us from the ones that others slaved over perfecting. Criticism, but not overly criticizing, really is one of the best things for out community to promote growth in the streets."

Report Post Tip
"Surely, at the same time however we don't want everyone's speeches reading word for word and grammatically correct to the enth degree? As long as the point being made has gotten across then that's all that really matters.

I think where people have their own method on constructing a speech it adds some variety to the streets, and as they say, variety is the spice of life. I'd hate to see all threads like yours. Not because yours are badly written or not to my taste, but all having the same "feel" about them.

Maybe I'm being overly concerned about something that probably doesn't warrant it and possibly lining myself up for critique, but at the end of the day just because speeches are put together well doesn't mean they make for interesting reading."
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $40,000 Tip

Maybe I'm being overly concerned about something that probably doesn't warrant it and possibly lining myself up for critique, but at the end of the day just because speeches are put together well doesn't mean they make for interesting reading."

That may be true. There are lots of different elements that make up a good speech. The subject at hand is probably the major one, but the way it is put together is certainly one of them too. I see no harm in having someone read over the notes of a speech before it is delivered, just to check if what you're going to say is going to make sense. Now, I have only delivered one speech in these streets, but I must say having it read over before it was submitted helped me more than anything, just to make sure in my own mind that what I was saying wasn't a load of shit.

We all have different opinions on how we should go about crafting our speeches. However, regardless of that I do think a second opinion is a very worthwhile thing to do before it is delivered to the masses. It's doesn't mean they're all going to be the same; each of us has our own style of delivery. It just means it's more likely to be delivered in the best way it can be.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Standards on our Streets.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL