Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 02:36:48
Page:  1 
15,840 Minutes Started by: RosalieRossi on Jun 21, '14 13:35

Rose has been paying attention to various happenings in the Streets more and more lately.  She heard something the other day that concerned her just a bit.  That dreaded time restraint that seems to be the focus whenever we decide we wanna move up in this world of ours, and be recognized. She realizes it may not be the intention or perception anyone wishes to display, but she placed herself in the shoes of others fresh on our shores.

In 11 days from now The Strip will be ready for its influx of potential leaders. There is a limit on the amount of space however and only a yet to be selected five people will be allowed to establish root's in The Strip. The reason for this taking place in 11 days from now is to allow anyone to rise to the rank Of Made Man to become eligible for this competition on the future of The Strip. Those who may join need only meet a few key points of the criteria. 

Is it really that easy?  Show up on these shores, put in the required number of days to 'survive' here in our world.

If she was brand new to this life of ours, and she had heard this speech with no advice nor being told otherwise, Rose would come to the conclusion that in 11 days from her landing on these shores she would be almost guaranteed a title of Made Man.  That title along with the privileges and respect accompanying it.  

I am concerned at seeing the focus on days required to move up in this world of ours, instead of adding to statements made that hard work and efforts are needed as well, if not more importantly focused on.  In my opinion this sends a message to new Mafioso that if they hang around for 11 days they will automatically be Made Man.

Since the competition in Paradise has become a big hit for those involved, and the interest from people who didn't have a chance to get into the Paradise Competition that was full in 24 hours, the Godfather Counsel has decided to give a similar competition to it's neighbor.

I have NO problems with competitions at all, but the wording in this speech concerned me when I heard it.  The other competition for 30 days seemed to be a good one in my opinion.  This competition has the implication of '11 days til Made Man and eligible', and I worry about the message and image it portrays.  Also, the competition has the backing of the GF Council.  Is this the message they wish to give to old and new Mafioso?

Well, if I was a struggling young Mafiosa trying to make a name for myself, or even fresh on these shores, to me this public declaration of "11 days" to be eligible for Made Man is encouraging myself and others that promotions are not based off hard work, but if you can just get to the 11 days mark you are automatically Made Man.  There so much focus is on number of days for this and that.  

This is not intended to criticize nor point fingers at who said what.  This is merely my own observations and concerns.  When competitions are brought forth, I think a longer days time frame should be considered as the 30 days time was given.  The focus in this world of ours not only with competitions, but in general, on the days required to 'make' it to the next promotion needs to be shifted to how much hard work and efforts are given by each individual.

There needs to be something done about how we represent ourselves to young and older generations.  If no other way but bring it to attention on how we speak in the Streets on this matter.  I feel it is not intentional, but more a habit of the way things have been done for quite some time.  

How can we complain about having respect and patience, or to not expect a promotion, when it is repeated constantly focusing everywhere you look or hear that '11 days to Made Man' or '20 days Consigliere'.  This gives mixed signals to me.  Maybe adding a few words to that, such as "11 days to Made Man with hard work and proving yourself" might be more specific.  

15,840 Minutes..... How do you measure the value of Made Man?

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

lronSight clears his throat,

"I believe that Made Man does need bolstering in value but that ending has distracted me in a way that I must react upon. It may be immature... but I don't care."

lronSight clears his throat and begins to sing,

15,840 minutes, 15,840 moments so dear. 15,840 minutes - how do you measure,
measure being made? In petties, in felonies, in OCs, in cups of coffee. In
dollars, in Body Guards, in laughter, in strife. In 15,840 minutes - how do you
measure getting Made in the life?
How about trust? How about work? How about speaking? Measure it seriously. Seasons of
Made.

15,840 minutes! So many crimes to plan. 15,840 minutes - how can you measure
the life of a made woman or man?

In truths that he learned, or in times that he cried. In bridges he burned, or
the way that he died.

It's time now to sing out, tho the story never ends let's celebrate remember a what it means to be made. Remember
the trust! Remember the work! Remember
the connections! Measure it seriously. Seasons of Made! Seasons of Made.

lronSight clears his throat again, takes a quick bow then lowers his hat to cover part of his face and takes off down the street with a walk at a quickened pace.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

How delightful! Entertainment in the park!!  Trixie sets up her camp chair and takes out a beer to enjoy the singing.  Who knew that IronSight could sing?  This is an unexpected pleasure on this fine Sunday in the park.  It is so encouraging to know that the finer things in life are not forgotten in this life of ours.  :D

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Hearing a beer crack in the park, BCP appears.

Oh my God! Who is wailing? , and what dumbass told them they could sing.

Looking back at the "singer", BCP sees it is IronSight complete with wrench in hand. Laughing he sits next to Trixie and take a sip from his flask he produces from his inside coat pocket.

Well atleast we will have something to help out ears, we may have to send out for beer as I'm not sure IronSight should be allowed to sing in private let alone in public. This should be part of the requirment to be made. Listening to IronSight "sing" for 15,840 mins!

Report Post Tip

Ox listens to each of RosalieRossi's points before nodding in agreement and stepping forward to speak.

"Now, I was not around for previous competitions, but after reading the strip rules I agree with you. Just because there is a space to fill does not mean it should be easy or quick to obtain.

As far as the value of ranks are concerned, they do seem relatively simple to blow through. Especially if your family is more concerned with quantity over quality. If you haven't proven yourself a reliable asset to the family, rank should not be thrown out on a whim. But in the end this is no one's decision other than the upper structure I guess, for better or worse."

Report Post Tip

Rose turns to hear lronSight serenading her.  Aww so sweet!!  She knew she liked him for his great speaking abilities, but damn...she had NO idea he could sing so well.  Sighing softly as he finishes the lovely song, then walks off before she has time to comment on his singing where he can hear her, Rose looks over to Ox as he is speaking, nodding in agreement.  She clears her throat softly to chase away the giggles from the serenading.

Ox, I agree somewhat with that it is the decision of the upper structure to have final say, but I just would like to add that we also have the choice.  No one should feel pressured to give the promotions to their members, but also it can be mentioned that we do not have to be pressured to accept a promotion.  I know, I know.  What person would refuse or question a promotion? 

Laughing softly and a bit nervously she maintains eye contact as she speaks.

Well, you are looking at one of the few I am guessing that have ancestors who actually questioned whether or not their promotion was deserved.  Being a new Mafiasa, working hard and learning as much as possible, my ancestors did not realize just how much their hard work was noticed.  

Rose drifts off a brief moment as she recalls pouring through her grandmother's journals, knowing she had set the footsteps that Rose herself is following and learning from.

Made Man is a big responsibility. Reading through journals of our ancestors can give such insight on things for us today to learn and better ourselves, and not to enter into this decision lightly. If we are not Made Man or higher though, does this mean that we do not have an importance? Of course not.

I believe everyone has special talents and their talents should be utilized regardless of title or rank. Some people have multiple talents and skills and are a larger asset so they'll get promoted a bit sooner. Not everyone in our world is truly cut out to be a ....she lowers her voice a bit... killer, but there does need to be standards for how much hard work should be shown in every phase of our work lives, and this one skill does seem to be the most desired, so it will probably be given the most leniency.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: 15,840 Minutes
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL