Get Timers Now!
X

May 06 - 14:24:34
Page:  1 
A whole lotta talk Started by: Achilles on Jul 03, '14 17:46

As usual, Achilles comes out and does something dramatic to set the scene.

Straight to the point then.

Having arrived off the boat not too long ago, I wasn't here to see the transition of the old skool Mafioso into the modern day mobster. Reading journals from my ancestors past it's obvious that a lot's changed from the old days and quite rightly so, there's always going to be change, some enforced by the Gods, others enforced by whatever regime is in power. The current regime have done what they can with what's been offered to them. It's impossible to keep everyone happy and there will always be those with sand in their vaginas over the way things are being ran.

I hear a lot of the older lines complain about our world being too different now and that words like loyalty & respect have become diluted. There's also complaints about the way ranks are handed out, few families now put on ceremonies to award their Made men, instead a "Well Done" banner is put up around the crew HQ and this is something which is disapproved of by some of the older lines. Many also complain about the whoring of thugs and petty thieves, something which was frowned upon a long time ago but which I'm told steadily became accepted as a way of life after some time. Then there's the districts, the branching out of families and the Mafia into many different districts leading to a huge influx of crew leaders but a shortage of mafiosi to fill the HQ's. Again this is something which many seem to oppose. There's also the level of interaction between family members and their crew leaders and general interaction within the families, this is something which has been touched upon quite a bit recently. I dare say there's plenty more that people are grumbling about but times change and so must our way of life, especially with a new generation of mobsters coming to our shores.

As stated, we have a new breed of mobster now. They moan that the older generation are too set in their ways, stuck in an older era where the values of a mobster were much different. There is talk that the newer generation do little in comparison to those of old and I feel those saying this have a point. The Gods have allowed it to become this way since anyone can go out and get themselves a cannon in this day and age with little effort. Those high enough can pew some no named C and become Godfather in one of the many districts we currently have open, we also have corrupt agents working for us around the clock, earning us some loose change to spend. The new breed of mobster seem to have a different set of values, they have an eager eye for money and seem to focus more along the lines of self preservation and choosing themselves over their family. I see young mobsters running around with many bodyguards and question what they had given to the family before hiring their help. I see individuals hoarding money and putting it into safety deposit boxes for when their son/daughter enters the world (OOC: Buying credits). Focusing on the future, rather than current business ventures and helping family members become stronger. People seem to be cashing in on the large bounties put on the heads of other mobsters too, again showing that people are hungry for money.

Times have changed a great deal and some are content with this, while others want to see change. For those unhappy with how things are, maybe you'd like to see the more traditional values put back into place or maybe you just have some new ideas that you'd like to see enforced, it would be great to hear what some of you may have in mind if given your chance at the top.

So...What would you change? There's a whole lotta talk about people not being happy, now's the chance to come out with what you'd do to keep the masses entertained. What would you bring to the table that's not already there?

Report Post Tip

Kill-The-Irishman listens to Achilles speak and nods in agreement to most of what is being said.

"Personally Achilles, I would have no issues with seeing things go back to the way my ancestors describe, even if it meant stepping down as a leader. The most current issue being that there is too many chiefs and not enough Indians. The way districts were implemented creates this."

"A quick fix to this, issue in my opinion would be to take these handful-sized crews have them merge back into more settled crews in their respective districts, this would include my crew.

KTI leans up on the wall, old age has caught up to him.

"Another way to help remedy this situation while still maintaining some of the "new age" operations is to actually go back to the "one godfather per city" idea while still maintaining the districts. This would allow said godfather to auth one or MAYBE two auths per district."

"What makes these ideas so unpopular is that it would require people to step down from their respective positions, Would I be happy if I had to? No.. But I would understand as to why it would be necessary for this world."

KTI stops and takes a break to catch his breath

"I'll be honest with you, I have already arranged for my next of kin to leave this country and return home to my relatives when my time comes and this world brings me down, and they have vowed to never return until they hear of changes. What will that change? nothing.. But nothing is what is being done now."

KTI swigs on his flask

"You can sit around and say 'well, you don't HAVE to take godfather just because you meet the requirements", but that is just a conflict of interests and expecting someone to do that is.. Well, slightly absurd in my opinion. We are trained from the moment we hit these shores to become the best you can be, becoming a godfather just makes the regime(s) stronger, so no city head will want to deny someone the rank I just don't see the practical logic."

KTI just stops talking for a brief second and looks back at Achilles

"I feel I have said enough here, you're going agree with me or think I am some crazy old fuck that has no idea what he is talking about, regardless I don't see any changes coming to the way things are done here, so like I said... I have made arrangements, but until then.. You have my 'aggreeance' for lack of better term, on this matter.. I really don't want to send my wife and children away from here just because I don't feel they will accomplish any more than what I have done myself."

...... And with that, I leave.

KTI presses off the wall and humbly walks off....

Report Post Tip

Mako steps forward sand holds up a finger, followed by a lighthearted smile.

"I wouldn't say that the... Erm, what did you call it again? The 'new generation gangster'? Yes, yes... I wouldn't say that this new generation typically agrees with everything done. In fact, I'm fairly sure the feelings are very much mixed when it comes to this type of topic, old or new. I just had a discussion with someone last night, would be considered an older generation gangster, who felt like the implicated districts were a nice touch. Not something I personally agree with, but he thought they had the capability to be more and offer more.

Our viewpoints were very different, but his insight enlightened me much more. He was from a day when the district were more in a test mode than what they are today. The main district was normally for the city head and they only held one crew underneath them, sometimes even none at all. This concentrated the efforts to go into the other two surrounding districts of the city... It causes the city to act like a city, but not be micromanaged through the district. It was unique for its time. Even though I didn't agree, I seen where he was coming from.

So, that's something that I'd have to argue to disagree with, Achilles. I don't think it's the full effect of what generation the gangster came from, but more over what they've experienced, compared to what they've lived through. Although I believe generations plays a part, I don't think it's the whole show.

But yes, some of the changes.... Well, they're not for all of us. Sometimes you have play the best cards you have with the hand you were dealt. If not, you'll just become lost in the times and change. Like you said though, you're never going to make everyone happy. Never. Not the old days and not the new. That's just going to happen, and I'd put a safe bet that it's something that will always repeat itself. People hate power, and they hate it when it's not their own in that position. They'll act accordingly as part of the cycle.

However, I'm throwing myself a bit off track of the topic here, so time to bring myself back in...

I seen a comment stated (In OOC, nonetheless) pertaining to this sort of thing and how the world could change. I tended to agree with the individual that certain measures had to come before it would be a more smooth transition. Things that normally happen throughout time, because nothing lasts forever. I'd like to see this world go back to 7 cities, or only 3 districts per city. Make a rule that the main district can only hold a GF and 1 crew, the others may expand as they please. What this will do is put more emphasize on city, instead of only districts. Six cities in place right now, it's up to those in them to act like a city, or several districts. I'd like to see district gone altogether though, as they aren't my cup of tea.

And some people are out there saying, 'Well why don't you change it then Mr.Godfather? You have that power.'

To those people I'd say, 'Don't be stupid.'

Although it's what I'd like to personally see, I know that it would take a lot of death to reach that point, and I'm not the type of person to forcefully change things just to fit the canvas of my own picture. Things come with time, and with time comes change, and with change comes new powers. That is something I'm a firm believer in. Perhaps when things are more able to transition smoothly back, we will see the luxury of cities again. No need for anyone to force it to be that way though." (Don't really know how else to put that as in character. My point being, OOC reasons and IC reasons are different to me. To change the game for OOC reasons doesn't appeal to me. IC, we are dealt this shitty hand and I particularly will play to what the game gives me, like it or not. Plenty of people will, seeing as they are still playing. OOC, history will change things as usual. I just hope the chance to change those things are done when they can be easily moved to the game.)

Report Post Tip

Well, KTI, that's a very admirable thing to say. That if for a better way of life you'd step down in order to make it happen. Kudos to you for that, I'm not sure many others would follow your lead.

I agree with you both, 1 Godfather per city would seem like a more sensible approach and it's something I'd love to see happen over time. Whatever the changes those in power want to see implemented, it will always take some time before it can happen. Unless of course there was a huge war and over night a large portion of people died. In saying that after last nights events, there's your first step to seeing these changes happen.

Will there be more auths? Or are we going to leave the empty districts as they are? I certainly hope it's the latter. Especially since we desperately need to get the crew leader count down. Although I'm aware not all in the Godfather council may not agree with your own views, Mako, I hope they're all on a similar sort of page.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A whole lotta talk
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL