Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 25 - 04:33:34
Page:  1 
What makes you veteran? Started by: Armin on Jul 09, '14 03:08
So earlier I was catching up with an old friend of mine and she mocked me of being a "nameless RHM" (making fun of my lack street presence - I'll make up for the absence, I swear it! :p) to which I replied to with "I've been playing for nearly 5 years! I'm a VETERAN!"

Right? lolno.

I'm called "Armnub" often by my friends for being, well, a no0b. I can say I've grown from it since and still learning. And it had me thinking... What really makes a veteran?

Is it the years played here? Surely 5 years is enough to claim such a title? I can't agree fore within these 5 years, I never experienced the rank of Godfather nor have I ever had 60 units or led a family.

In my opinion, years don't indicate a veteran whereas what that person does in those years and what he/she achieves do.

Am I right to think this? Or am I missing something? I'll ask again, what really makes a veteran?
Report Post Tip
In my opinion, a true veteran is someone who has been there and done it all. If you've been here a long time but haven't tried everything or fulfilled your full potential, then it's hard to really call you a veteran.

Why haven't you run your own family, is it something you haven't really desired? Don't get me wrong, it's not for everyone as I know it can be very time consuming. However, I would certainly suggest going for it. These days, there probably isn't a better chance of at least staking your claim due to the abundance of districts.

Making Level 60 isn't really a huge feat these days. You just need to put the work in and have a bit of luck on surviving for the time it takes you.
Report Post Tip

To put it very simply, quantity and quality. It also matters what people claim to be a veteran of don't you think? Claiming to be a veteran member would be different from claiming to be a veteran Hand or Crew Leader. Years do count for something, because even the slowest learning person will have mastered what being a member means if they've been playing for a few years (I'm speaking hypothetically and looking at extremes here). Thus they become a veteran member by virtue of quantity. Others pick up everything there is to the game in a couple of months. They would become veteran members by virtue of quality learning. The same principle applies to being a veteran Hand, CL, or Godfather. A third factor could also include the network of friends you've made. Can't underestimate the value of a good network in this game. This would require quantity, quality, or both. I hope this helped.

Report Post Tip

I think you've covered it already. Being a Vet is based purely on what you've done with your time here. If you just sit around and click buttons and don't do anything with your character, then repeating this for years on end doesn't make you a Veteran. (Nor is such a practice necessarily bad, plenty of players aren't interested in the main aspects and simply click about whilst chatting to friends)

There are plenty of players that can/should be regarded as Vets, to me those are the ones I can recall from the days of old .org, names like Gazman and Jono to name a couple. There are loads of them around here still i'm sure, I myself started playing back in Feb 2002, I'm sure there are some here that would have been before me (Shuki still roams around im sure?). - people of such longevity generally have done more than others, purely because in that time they've had the chance to achieve more. So you'll likely find older players are the more so Vets amongst us.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: What makes you veteran?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL