Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 28 - 10:09:31
Page:  1 
Recent Changes Started by: HandsomeRob on Jul 23, '14 13:07

Rob is caught walking around with a journal in his hand. The journal was old and torn. Definitely had some age to it. The look on his face was one that was caught between confused and graced.

The topic I wanted to bring up is something definitely controversial.

After reading my ancestors journals of how things were back in the old days, I have to question myself, "What has changed since then?" and "Is it better this way?". What I'm refering to is how this thing of ours has gotten softer in a sense. Everyone is out for the same thing and instead of fighting for it, they are more than likely to share. Kindergarden actually paid off for some of us. Sharing is caring. The organization isn't used to such a rare gesture.

Sharing was never a strong attribute in the old days. Even small things such as attempting to make a quick easy buck on a drug deal, asking a friend of ours from another organization, often lead to fake drug prices. Or charging one another to get them. The understanding back then was why let the competition get ahead? Why let someone who might turn out to be your enemy later, someone at the other side of a piece pointed at your head, get ahead? Sharing things such as a city was even hard back then. Civil wars often broke out due to simple disagreements. Arguements over who ran the city broke out and all hell broke loose. Hell would last for hours, sometimes days before the white flag was thrown. Or in the worst circumstances, when everyone was dead.

Taking things by force was often practiced weekly, daily even. When someone wanted power or even money, they took their position by force. Killing another high respected mobster was like a daily chore, such as taking out ones trash to the side walk in the mornings. It was part of the ordinary life really it seemed like. One reading even explained that killings were done out of pure boredom. Or even "training" if you will. See how well your troops can perform in action. Wars being started due to "training" baffles me.

These characteristics of the old days seem to be simply gone these days. Is this a good thing, bad thing? Why has it changed?

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

There is a common misconception being offered out on many street corners as fact, that at some point in the recent past this world was populated by some the most ruthless bastards who ever walked on two legs. This is wholly inaccurate. 

In recent memory, one struggles to recollect a time when there wasn't an understanding that mutually beneficial enterprising is a good idea nor where families failed to work together with rival ones for their own betterment. All that really seems to have changed is that people at the top have become far less subtle and rather than dressing everyone up in different colours for the masses to pretend everyone isn't allied, they've just placed a numerical name-tag on themselves and removed all doubt.

Arguments have always been few and far between in our world. Personally, I think the times we are living in are pretty bloody as far as piling corpses goes and something is usually happening somewhere, which has traditionally rarely been the case. If we are talking in terms of survival of the preeminent authority, then the current bosses have probably only enjoyed reigns comparable in longevity to those who came before them and fall some way short of that of Roman.  

You have to go back an incredibly long way to find a time when things were taken by force on a regular basis, especially in terms of killing rivals. Even then, I'm sure you can find grumbles of discontent at the inactivity of Ganelon's tenure in the Mafia Tribune from way back when. So really, I think people largely just complain about how different it is because they aren't the ones doing the toppling and are instead sadly doing the falling down, which is not really a fun place to be.

If I think of what I've heard about the time when a young scamp carrying a fair resemblance to me first came to shores similar to these, I don't think it is all that different to what we have now. There are less people which leads to less diversity and activity, naturally, but those who are here are far more knowledgeable about our business and seem to care much more about what actually goes on in their families.

Well. There endeth that discussion! Hamface just nailed the shit out of it!

Though there are minor points in what hamface said, that I don't agree with, I think in the whole I would have to say he pretty much covered my own personal view too.

The only one point I'd really change there is the face on the group at the top. We have always indeed had people working together, but there is a massive difference between working together when you reach the top, and working together TO reach the top. The latter is in play right now, this group didn't get to the top and decide to be all nice and hand holding with each other, they worked hard and made their way to the top and will fight to keep themselves there as has been clear thus far. I don't say that to criticize the group, in fact the opposite is true in that I think they should be commended for the amount of work they've put in to keep themselves where they are.

In fact I noticed another minor error, the mention of Roman's reign being greater is possibly incorrect. Roman whilst was alive for a longer period, didn't reign at the top for that entire period. He spent the vast majority of his former days resting in the comfort of various HQs and managed to survive many wars due to friends keeping an eye out for him, so he was a fair age when he finally set up his own HQ and begun the empire that was able to establish with relative ease. Not to take anything away from him, he did a great job also of staying at the top, but again it wasn't as heoric as some often make out.

Report Post Tip

Wholly inaccurate?

Maybe I should have put a specific timeline on what I was referring to. I mean the journal I was reading from did cover the time of sir Ganelon. It even covers a man of your intellect. He always had a face that resembled a pig. Your points are spot on. Just like the short man said. But then again, the pig is usually right.

You don't have to go THAT far back to see how things were taken by force. For instance look at the Godfather boom after Marietta. People were killing each other left and right. And not to mention they other reason why Marietta was in power was due to hitters in major crews turning on their leaders. Others such as Satanta, Tallien all took risks. People used to take risks and there was excitement in those risks.

However, I find it distasteful that you may think I am complaining about how a certain group have reached the top and will do whatever to remain at the top. They should be commended as Tyrion said. I sincerely respect the group and they know this. Anyways, don't think of this as an attack on the current leaders at the top because it isn't. There has been a steady decline in standards and how we hold ourselves for awhile. The honor that we used to hold is gone. These points are aimed at the community rather than the leaders. Thats was my hidden message in my statement.

I agree about the steady decrease of how we hold ourselves and the decline of standards and you say that is aimed at the community which I agree to a degree but isn't it down to the leaders to make sure that standards don't slip as every time someone speaks they are representing their family and if they aren't up to standard the leader should be there to guide them. 

Report Post Tip

Well Handsomerob i must say you arnt as handsome as i thought you would be my panties is so much more handsome, Now i love some of the things bought forth by our late kin.

For example the receint funeral disrespect that has been bought forth something i know you and i would not condone in our family. I find it kinda sad that standards are lost.

Respect as EricNorthman pointed out is our backbone to our livelyhood but now it seems to be throwen into the sewer.

Do we want these changes? I for one cling to the standards set forth by our kin be damned if i am gunna put my hat on side ways and act like some piece of shit gangsta. 

We are after all men and women of honour we may have made enemys on our journey but at the end of the day it is business nothing personal.

Not sure if this is what you was after but my take on the world we live in

Spunky, thats exactly what I was getting at. Along your words and Visas, minus the part where she said I was not handsome, were spot on to where I was going. I didn't want this to be ANOTHER conversation about the funeral disrespecting, but that is a keen example of what is going on lately and we allow it.

EricNorthman's bloodline has always been one of the most respected bloodlines ever to grace this land. To me, if he deems it necessary to speak in a topic of discussion, something is rather wrong wrong. I am still wondering why it has changed...

Report Post Tip

Rob, you're not that handsome.  And your chat is bad.

I've thrown a gauntlet down to you.  Let's duel (using words and reason\)

Report Post Tip

People rarely rise to the top unaccompanied or unaided, Tyrion. In fact, nearly everyone who has ever succeeded at this, owes a significant part of that achievement to their supporting cast. The fact this group have worked together prior to getting to the top is nothing new as far as I'm concerned, and I used Roman only as an example to show longevity of tenure, rather than to make a comment on the quality of it.

I have no bacon blood in me, Rob, just a meaty face. A coincidence, nothing more, and things have always been taken by force, just as they are now. It is the changing of the pre-eminent power which is the rarity, but this is nothing new as you can list only a handful of names to cover the vast majority of our history, which is essentially my point; things are really no less volatile then they usually have been.  

I didn't think you were complaining, fear not. Truth be told, I don't really think any of them have done anything worth commending,just as I don't think they've done anything to justify some of the criticism that is levelled at them. If you want to praise them, go away with my blessing, but unless one of them does something significant, I imagine in a year or two this will be looked at as just a particularly salty period of MafiaReturns where nobody did all that much out of the ordinary. 

What exactly has changed? To me, not a whole lot. I see a whole of talk without any viable solutions. You think the standards have dropped? Raise them back up. You talk about risks? Take one yourself and fly your own flag from the mast of the good ship This Is How It Fucking Should Be Done and show everyone else what a real family should look like. Until you or someone else does that, I'd appreciate being spared the talk of the community's outrage over declining standards. The "community" doesn't give a flying fuck about anything except themselves and until someone has the balls to put their name to something better, they never will.  

Report Post Tip

Rob, you're not that handsome.  And your chat is bad.

But I am handsome. Thanks.

Report Post Tip

For a long time socity got softer, people sat held hands, shared cookies and then realised they didn't always enjoy seeing so many ranks in society.   Suddenly we saw war after war and again, people weren't happy so neither system worked.   We then had a peace and war and it kinda had a balance where people sensed opportunity as well as worried about their death.  Was a caution and it kept people active.  

Now we are at a stage where often crews packed with ia's who bring nothing, and people maybe be unlucky enough to die regular and just gain the frustration of wherever they go it seems pointless in trying.   Society has divided into the inactive, semi active, the active and the highly active and often the smartest, most eloquent aren't always what last longest.

Society has developed further the submissive role further where people don't want to lose their work and are happy just to stay alive instead of revolt at stages, they watch their friends and allies die and just hope not to be the next.  In some cases the leaders don't even have to be the most active to survive, as has been discussed(as well as the other forms of activity they part take in). 

It is something that regularly re-occurs in our society and always has, so as much as society changed, it is just a cycle as always.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Recent Changes
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL