Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 05:54:36
Page:  1 
The King of Kings Started by: Maria on Jul 30, '14 00:30

Change was once more on it's way in the world Maria loved. So often, and so often in the memoirs of her ancestors, the Gods had blown in change in the same way as new seasons blew in. Districts, they had been the first one of these big changes to blow through the lands Maria's ancestors lived in. And with them had been a caveat - the "central" district of each city would be the most powerful. However, weeks had turned into months. Months had turned into a year, more than a year, even. Maria's ancestors had risen and fallen during this time. And even now, there had never been any note of the central districts being the most powerful, of the Godfather of the central district becoming the most powerful in a city. And now, as an announcement had been placed upon the doors of City Hall and the world prepared for another change to blow through, Maria felt herself contemplating the implications of it all. 

Never having been one to shy away from the opportunity to verbalize her feelings, Maria decided to head out on to the main street and start to put her thoughts into words. 

Claiming her favorite spot, sat up on a wall by one of what was, in her opinion, one of the finest cafe's in town, she began to speak. 

So, our Gods announced a change which is due to become active in the next couple of weeks - August 11th, apparently, to be exact. It's a change that was rumored to have been coming for the entire time that our world has known districts, however it will still count as a further change by the Gods to the way our community as mafiosi is structured. To what effect it'll change things is something that I'd like to touch on and discuss here today. 

Since the dawn of districts, we have known that the "central" districts of each city will be set to hold more power. While that wasn't something that appeared to be materializing along with several other aspects of districts which were announced at that time, many of us have probably been guilty of forgetting that this was ever due to be a thing, and certainly felt as though it wasn't something worth worrying about, considering that it appeared to have been put on quite the back burner. However, the announcement has been made and this change is now upon us shortly. The Godfathers of these central districts, such as my own esteemed Godfather, Mako, will now be given the rank of "Godfather - Chairman". They will have increased benefits associated with this rank.

This begs a couple of questions to my mind. If we are setting one Godfather above all of the rest in the city, what is the actual point of having the ability for up to four other none-Chairman Godfathers to even exist in that city? Other than to cheaply give away the boosts associated with the rank of Godfather, I see absolutely none. This would be a good opportunity in my eyes for the Gods to fix this imbalance in the potential number of Godfathers. Plus, Godfather - Chairman? Really? Do we REALLY want to make our fearless leaders sound like futuristic leaders of Communist China? 

This change is a step forward in that it takes cities away from the culture of being a giant love-in - it gives people a reason to fight, I suppose. Which is something that the number of districts has taken away, in my opinion. People no long have to fight to expand, they only fight to eliminate threats. So giving people, if only the one individual, a reason to fight, could be a step forward. But I feel as though this change is only going half as far as it needs to go. 

So I ask you all today - how do you feel about this? Do you feel as though this is superfluous, half hearted? Do you feel as though this change will positively change how our world is organized? Godfathers, I'd like to hear from you too. Obviously I'm not going to ask you to give away all of your plans, but I'd love to see your outlooks on it out here - do you feel like it'll make a difference? 

Maria takes swig from a silver flask that was stashed in her pocket. From the smell of it, it definitely doesn't contain orange juice.

Report Post Tip

I'd like to hope this will be a change which forces change. Ultimately, as a Leader these days - or perhaps more accurately as a decision maker these days (an important distinction) there is an emphasis on preserving the status quo.

This is not the road well traveled simply because it is easy; it is the road well traveled because it is the one which tends to lengthen one's lifespan. Any attempt to make wide reaching, progressive moves is viewed with deep suspicion - why wouldn't it be? The leader who attempts such opens themselves to the accusation that their actions imply they know so much more than their forebears; or perhaps that their desire to affect change is a subtle critique of their peers - the other leaders.

Over in Britain, one of their prominent politicians who is well known for providing good soundbites made a statement that resonates in our world: 'If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart' he said, before continuing 'and if you're not a conservative at 40 then you have no brain'.

Here, it is easy to be revolutionary and full of ideas and ideals when you have nothing to lose. With each passing day, risking the material for the a principle is not only less attractive, it is pointless. Decision makers do not, and have not ever, had reason to truly challenge the status quo.

Hopefully, this 'reorganization' will change that as it results in the creation of a finite resource which must be the source of competition. Hopefully, I say.

In reality, this is likely to be another false dawn along with the change to narcotic laws in recent years which led to greater deviance in drug price, or the when the Commission allowed Mob Leaders to charge their members different tax rates. Or the vast, sweeping changes to the way the mob had to recruit through legitimate businesses  to keep the G-men happy. All of these things were supposed to herald great change; none of them ever did because we rule and are ruled by consensus. A boring certainty is always taken over an exciting uncertainty and the vast majority of leaders past, present and future will seek to maintain the status quo by shoehorning outdated and outmoded methods into a situation that does not require them; usually in such a hamfisted manner that it defies conventional logic.

So, I am extremely doubtful that anything will change at all.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Walking out on the street, he came out to see what all the fuss was about. Slowly walking out, he closed up his trench coat to avoid the night cold.

The truth of the matter is i doubt having a chairman godfather changes much at present due to the simple fact that society is ruled by an alliance. I do think some will have a closer eye on the head godfathers, realising it will take a little more vigor to remove them, but in general for now, very little will come from it. Do i believe we need so many godfathers either, no. I think the rank has been cheapened by the number who in the past would have either had to gain it by it being passed hand to hand cheapening it by retirement or actually fight for it against potentially your own allies as has happened in past eras.

I think half the reason to fight these days is to recruit and consolidate more then expand. As what few actives are in some crews, the failings possibly of poor sponsors or hands on limited times to recruit sometimes shows, even post war. In all honesty, until a massive may war experience occurs again, I honestly believe very little will come from this change, and very little will change for me. I will still go about working for my non-chairman district, i will still work hard like many people and just wait and see who is taken out and why next and hope is not my family or district. Business as usual in all honesty.

I also think post next big war, the change will only make a difference as the next group establish their dominance and the next group after that.  Is in the rebuilding phases, people may watch over their shoulders a bit more.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The King of Kings
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL