Get Timers Now!
X

May 05 - 23:39:06
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
The Price of Protection Started by: Maria on Aug 09, '14 22:45
I was under the impression that 2 weeks was the established time for protection orders. I was assuming this was the case here too, apologies for speaking while misinformed.
Report Post Tip

Let me just clear up the 'rules' on protection orders, as nothing is set in stone about them in general. For the most part, the killer provides the order in anyway they see fit. They then enforce the order the best way they see fit. So basically, if you kill the crew, it's up to the killer to provide what standards the protection order will be. They can kill them all if that's what they really wish to do. It's their rodeo.

Or if you have a case like mine, there was one sent out (not by me), but I was the enforcer of the protection order. Not everything has to be 2 weeks, 1 week, or anything at all. It's all given into the hands of who it involves and what their wishes might or might not be.

Now, my opinion on this matter? I think it's best to cover ALL ground when it comes to protection orders and the such. I would have my associates deliver mails to all the leaders and their most trusted, then I would head out to the streets for my own announcement. Why all the overkill of doing this? Well, it's so I can say that there are no excuses for breaking my protection order. It was sent through mails, and if it didn't reach you, then all you had to do was look for any new announcements. With an order in the mail and on the street... How could you honestly look me in the eyes and tell me you didn't know? No excuse for that mistake.

That's just my thoughts. The streets should be used for these types of things, and not only on protection orders, but authing as well. The streets are the pipeline to all major news and announcements. People need to be accustomed to checking them before doing anything that could cost them their lives. But if it's not on the streets? I can't speak for that protection order, but I know that I would defend one of mine if they made a mistake that wasn't directly in their mailbox or out on the street. Sometimes the mail service takes hours, the streets takes seconds.

Think about it.

Report Post Tip
If we could have all districts set up their stance on protection orders within the notice boards (Rules), then wouldn't this be simpler? All war/takedowns have the same outcome anyway; just think it would help the grey areas.
Report Post Tip

I think that would be a great idea, Zack! Only if the district rules were used more and viewed more. I'm finding that they are becoming a bit of a lost cause. You're in a city, specific district, you look up the rules, and see sooooooooo much and so much variety. The rules notice board were used more when we only had actual cities. I think getting people accustomed to viewing that for certain things like this wouldn't work as well as if the streets were being used as the pipeline.

When I wake up every morning, the very first thing I do is go out to he streets for anything I want to listen to or see. Sometimes I can barely even remember that The Loop does have a rules notice board, and that could even be my fault.

People view the streets, and that should be one of the first things they always tend to visit whenever they come around for the evening. But I get what you're saying, to have a precautionary protection order in place so that people would be prepared for the worst and know where to go in these circumstances. I just find that board becoming less and less useful over time though, and the streets aren't.

Report Post Tip

Couldn't this be applied to any protection order, ever? 

It could, but I'd also hope you'd at least be sure to tell me very clearly and in every way possible to NOT punch you in the face..

They aren't doing you a favour. They are either following your request or they aren't. And, as it happens, this worked as effectively as your advocated route so the extra damn effort wasn't necessary. 

Hey, I hope if you or one of your kin ever die due to a poorly advertised protection order, you're still glad that the person setting it didn't have to make any extra damn effort. 

The reality is, in order to not have a copy of the protection order, they've either joined the family subsequently since it was announced, in which case it is unlikely they'll be shooting at unsponsored anyway

Really? Considering many protection orders these days are fourteen days long, I find it hard to believe it's so unlikely that people joining subsequently would be shooting those supposedly under these protection orders. 

Or, more unlikely, they've received a DD and a revival, in which case they should already know the basics and the rules of the family anyway having been in it for a reasonable length of time. Failing to receive the mass mail does not excuse them if they misfire. 

Sorry, but revival doesn't come with the extra added superpower of mind reading. If I don't see a mail nor a notification on the streets of a protection order, I'm likely going to assume that there wasn't one. And instead of bothering my Godfather over it, I'm probably going to work from the logic that if there's no announcement, it doesn't exist. Remind me again why my Godfather should have his workload added to by another Godfather not being bothered to properly announce his protection order? 

That is not the logical response of someone training their firearm, that is the response of someone failing to accept responsibility for their own actions after the fact.

No, considering that wars and takedowns don't always lead to protection orders and that the vast majority of leaders setting protection orders will announce them on the streets, I'd say it's a pretty logical place to come from, that if it isn't on the streets and I didn't get a mail, it doesn't exist.

Maria turns away from Romwulf, to her own Godfather Mako and Zack_Morris (Don), a smile on her face. 

Godfather Mako, always a pleasure to see you out here sharing your views. The insights that a Godfather can give in a debate are valuable and I must thank you for the time you've taken here. 

You've also pretty much entirely summed up my argument in the space of a couple of sentences, so anyone after the tl;dr (or listen, as the case may be), here goes:

Now, my opinion on this matter? I think it's best to cover ALL ground when it comes to protection orders and the such.

Sometimes the mail service takes hours, the streets takes seconds.

Another point that I do wish to discuss is this one;

The streets should be used for these types of things, and not only on protection orders, but authing as well. The streets are the pipeline to all major news and announcements. 

As much as I hate seeing so many upper structure members throughout our world who only seem to frequent our streets in case of auths and protection orders, that doesn't mean that they are either invalid speeches, nor superfluous to our streets. 

As much as I'd love to see these people bringing us original speeches and coming out to make comments on more than just the auth and protection order speeches, doesn't mean that I don't think that we don't need that type of speech.

The streets have been in decline of late, it's true, but one thing that has remained constant is that we've seen auths and protection orders still flow from here, we've still seen our streets utilized for the purpose of giving information, no matter what else might have vanished from them.

I see no reason why that should change, in all honesty. 

If we could have all districts set up their stance on protection orders within the notice boards (Rules), then wouldn't this be simpler? All war/takedowns have the same outcome anyway; just think it would help the grey areas.

I do like this idea from Zack_Morris, however. The district notice boards are under utilized, so if people aren't wishing to announce protection orders on the street, perhaps Godfathers could place the announcement and the information on the announcements on them? That's worth a look, although I certainly still think protection orders are best served by street threads.

Report Post Tip
For sure, they're definitely under utilised. However, if it is something that can be used as well as announcements/mass telegrams, as a start at least. Will do more good than harm by putting them there. Then who knows, obviously it's personal preference, but if each GF had a custom lapel on their suit which indicated the location of the rules for their district, it could help to raise awareness of the district rules in general?

I do agree that if certain procedures were in place, I.e having to make an announcement in the streets upon completion of a war/takedown by the victorious party would help matters rather than the mass telegram which can get lost in translation.
Report Post Tip
Protection Orders are best served posted in the streets, and a mail to everyone containing a notice to check the streets to further ensure you've been made aware. The problem behind that is well discussed, few and far between actually visit the streets. You could place a giant pot of gold in the middle of the street and most wouldn't even know it existed.
Report Post Tip

I do agree that if certain procedures were in place, I.e having to make an announcement in the streets upon completion of a war/takedown by the victorious party would help matters rather than the mass telegram which can get lost in translation.

Aye, as Mako said, the streets are faster than the mail service in most instances. Also, do we really want to entrust the most important information in our world to purely what could turn out to be a big game of Chinese Whispers that gets out of hand? 

The problem behind that is well discussed, few and far between actually visit the streets. You could place a giant pot of gold in the middle of the street and most wouldn't even know it existed.

But, Vaelin_Al_Sorna, if it IS in the streets, everybody at least has the POTENTIAL to be able to see it.  

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Price of Protection
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL