Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 05:29:42
Page:  1 
The Proposition Started by: Brendan on Oct 16, '14 19:52

Walking back on to the streets for the first time in a few weeks Brendan looks worried. He is going out on a whim and people who speak on whims are usually walking a thin line. But someone must talk out. Surely? If no-one spoke out then no-one would ever change. Right? Realising he has already reached the middle of the Streets, Brendan clears his throat and begins to speak..

Hello friends and foes alike. I come to you today with a proposition. For those of you who do not know me... I walked these Streets a few weeks ago discussing the rank of Made Man and the respect that goes with the Rank. Or should I say the disrespect that currently is shown towards it. But I am not going there again. Feel free to debate the point over in that speech. I am sure it is somewhere around here if you look for it.

I come here because I purposefully stayed out of the conversation to see what was said and by who. I didn't want to lead the conversation in any kind of direction. I wanted to see what the general populous had to say. Several high profile members of this community spoke in that speech and agreed that there was an issue and it needs to be addressed. I want to try and spark that. Now, I am not privvy to your private conversations and have no idea if my speech promoted any talks amongst you leaders. I doubt I am that important so I thought I would place my thoughts forward on the matter.

I truly believe that we need to introduce a minimum requirement that is worldwide. SHOCK HORROR. OH MY FUCKING GOD. HE IS TELLING PEOPLE HOW TO RUN THEIR CREWS. No, he is not. What I am saying is that our community will be improved, and as such your families improved, if we all agree that there needs to be a bare minimum requirement.

It means we could all truly respect the rank of Made Man again. No-one could ever stand against the logic of a leader. I know I know. You're all thinking that I might not see the tireless work that goes behind a leader giving someone their button. So how the fuck would I know if you deserve it?

I don't. I understand that way of thinking as I respect the rank. It's not me that needs telling. I think it's the newer blood to this world that need showing. They understand only things that are written and handed to them. OI. Don't be offended and fuck off young uns. It's not a bad thing. I am trying to help you.

Now. If they knew that you had done X, Y and Z then maybe, just maybe, they will respect those with the rank that little bit more. So I propose that we introduce a list of requirements that must be fulfilled. Now, this doesn't mean that you have to have this as your bible leaders. You can have a list as long as your arm in your mind. But if your members can do the following then we, them and everybody will think "Wow. Look at that Made Man. Look what hes done. I wish I could do those things." Not only that but we might actually improve our world! So. THE PROPOSITION

1. Any potential Wise Guy must have ran a successful business within the business district of his home city. It can take any form but it must be functioning well. Friends could come in useful here folks. Especially Crew mates.
  2. To have stood in the Streets and offered a balanced opinion on a matter of public interest. This is to show everyone you are not just a gun touting lunatic but someone who is capable of forming their own opinion and offering it forward. Help can be forthcoming for those who struggle with language after all.
  3. A Made Man will swear that you are capable of fulfilling your role as a trusted man. NO. NOT A VOUCH SYSTEM. Once this vouch is in place the ties are severed. You, as a leader, promoted the man and the man who vouched. You are responsible after all.
  4. To have killed a man. Yes. One man. Any man. But to be sworn in you must have trust.
  5. To have donated $1 meeeeeeeeeeellion. To show you are not entirely self centered and understand the principle of protecting the family.

So, nows the time to speak up. Is that too much? Not enough? Or do we not even need this system putting in place? (Trust me. We do)

But, please, do not just dismiss my claims. What I propose I truly believe will make this place a world that a mobster should be living in. Not the place that we currently, sadly, stand in. A place where the rank of Made Man is not as valued as it should be. A place where ranks below being given their buttons talk as if they are equal to the trusted men within this world. Which is just plain wrong.

Retreating quickly to the shadows Brendan hopes, wishes, someone takes this speech for what it is and not as some veiled attack on the current leadership. Life is good but it could be better. Better for everyone. Sighing he lights a cigarette, takes a deep drag and retreats to his home. Knackered from putting so much effort into that speech.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $500,000 Tip

TheKing walks up to Brendan as he is giving his speech and he likes what he hears. He walks over and decides that he must comment on it.

My Ancestor's speak of a time when there was a much harsher system in place than the one your recommended and that system made damn sure that those who became Made had earned it and where very trust worthy members of this thing of ours.

I must say that as far as what you propose goes i think it is a good start to issue that needs to be resolved.

Report Post Tip

Seeing as I was vocal on you other speech I think it only right I speak here to.

Now I have set standards for my family getting made and I know Qui has standards as well. My standards are a similar but I would say harder than that. Now I don't believe we should have a set standard across the country I believe leaders have their own system on who does and doesn't get made. A lot of us are vocal on Made meaning something and no one is privy to how every leader promotes their Made Men, so how do we actually know that standards aren't already in place?

If something like this was implemented how would it actually be policed because it would then be based on whether you trust the leader to implement the rules and if you already suspect the leader just promotes with no structure you are not going to trust them to do this?

Report Post Tip

Curtis listens to Brendan intently. Nodding in agreement at the sentiment and proposition he remembers reading journals documenting this very subject. He steps forward and claps his friend on the shoulder.

"Brendan! My friend I do enjoy it when you come out here and talk. This is a very welcome follow on from what you were last discussing. As for the proposition itself I think those are very reasonable demands. Nothing that would represent much of an obstacle to any aspiring wise guy. The money is easily earned at that stage and there should be no difficulty making at least one sentient contribution to a street discussion. The others are all par for the course really."

​Curtis peruses the list again.

"It could possibly be argued that starting your own business in your local business district could be a bit of work but then I also think its an ideal opportunity, as you said, for the rest of the family to get involved. Each person can show their support for the candidate by contributing. I'm sure some of the higher ups can help out with guidance when it comes to formatting and presenting the business etc. Yes, although this does initially seem like the most work it could be the most inspired aspect of selection

I have read journals from generations gone that required a hell of a lot more than that. One street discussion started, more than twenty five street discussion contributions, a hell of a lot of money earned and three members of the upper structure willing to put their necks on the line to vouch for you. That was maybe a little harsh but my god, that made man ceremony meant so much when it finally happened.

I think your suggestion is very fair, even for the plague of lazy mute cretins that threaten to drown our long held traditions. I certainly hope some of those with power to do so, implement this policy. I'm sure those that do will soon see a marked increase in the quality of their members."

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Ah yes Spunky. Your input was most welcome on my previous speech as it is here.

I have no doubt that many leader have standards in place that are far harder to achieve than those I have suggested. I also would be very surprised if people do not have any sort of standard for a Made Man.

The point being is that people do not know these standards. People new to these shores just see a button on my chest and no idea how I earned it. That is the point of implementing something like this. They will get some form of understanding how important the rank of Made Man is.

Now, if we do/did/will have leaders who do not have standards and are just trusting anyone then the visual aspect of this system shows you that. The things we have on our persons show our contributions. They show whats businesses we have and what speeches we have made. If they do not stack up with a requirement agreed by all it would not be hard to see a man thats not following a nationwide rule.

Now at that point I cannot say how it would be policed. At the very minimum the mans Godfather would surely be having a word and questioning whats going on? Considering, in theory, they signed up to the process and now their own were disobeying it? I don't know. Thats one for those in power now/if it happens to discuss and decide..

Nodding to Spunky he turns to Curtis and smiles

Ah yes. I think those were referred to as the 'good ol' days' in everyones journals, weren't they? The days when that button being put on your chest made you feel ten feet tall and indestructible. That is until a Don wandered down the streets and gave you a withering look to remind you how far you still had to go. Ah yes. I'd loved to have lived in those days..

Report Post Tip

There was once a time, many generations a go when my family thought that the best way to bring back the respect of the button was by having a nationwide rule set for those that would get their button. I have to say though, as time has gone by I now truly believe that there should be no set restrictions, no minimum settings on what a person should achieve across the board for their promotion. 

The reason why is actually quite simple in my book. I believe that promotions should always come on a case by case basis. You may have a guy who is a fantastic earner but shit in public speaking, or a guy who is a fantastic marksman but a crappy earner, or a guy who is fantastic speaking in public, alright at earning but mediocre in marksman ship skills. I'd prefer if everyone took more time in the process they take for choosing who to promote and choosing who not to promote. The reason I highlight the word choosing is because I also believe that people in positions of power are forgetting that it is actually their choice of who they promote, no one else. Just because the opportunity to promote someone is there does not mean that it should be taken. However, as well all know, it's impossible to make everyone take more time and care in choosing who to promote. 

The thing is though Brendan, I think this is a good thing. Forgive me if as an associate this sounds out of line but it gives us, the people an idea of who the shit leaders are. If we as the people can easily see the crewleaders who are promoting idiots left and right then it does wonders down the line. These leaders are often usually the first to go and be made an example of, even if nothing more than to make the aggressor look like a good leader for removing the shit one. It actually also helps me when choosing which people to engage with in the streets or otherwise when I see they have earned their button with a crewleader whom I believe, through my own personal opinion and intelligence gathering has good leadership abilities or is just a plain waste of oxygen. Much like Curtis and yourself, I know and respect Whatsername'ss abilities as a crewleader so feel comfortable engaging with Curtis and now yourself. 

Another reason why I think it wouldn't work is because it would quite quickly become a basic minimum standard when people in leadership positions will start to think "Ok, he's set up a business, he's donated over $1,000,000, he sorta tried to get something out in the streets, Capo JoeBloggs said he's "Alright" annnnd Oh... He did shoot one of TylerDurden's fools the other day... Ok, that'll do. I'm promoting him to Made Man". I feel that it would have the complete opposite effect and have an increase on the already worryingly large amount of people asking or moaning about not receiving their promotions. 

So basically, I believe a nationwide set standard of rules in place is the wrong way to go. 

Report Post Tip

Walking back on to the Streets from doing a hard days graft for the Boss Brendan hears Hubert speak. Feeling like he is on some sort of campaign trail he cannot help but reply fighting his case..

Ah Hubert. I know all cases are judged solely by the person but I cannot help but feel if you are not a well rounded individual then being a Made Man isn't for you? It's not like what I put forward is exactly rocket science is it? You might have no idea how to hold a gun but ask a family member. This will help you learn. No idea how to talk in the streets? Ask a family member. Your earnings are shit? Ask a family member what is going on. Are you getting where I am coming from now?? Everything I have set forth is to promote interaction within families to allow us to have a better standard of trusted men walking these streets. Not only that but more vibrant bar districts and better debates for me to participate in.

As for judging a leader I can see your point. But this will still show you who is promoting idiots. As they would have to place themselves in the public eye. You could walk over, have a listen and judge for yourself if the person is worth of being Made. If you think not but the lad suddenly pops up in his nice new suit perhaps it will show you more what that leader is all about?

As for your final point of people knowing they have done enough. Thats already in place. The Gods sorted that. You now have your pockets deepened and you know exactly how many drugs you can carry so know where you stand. I honestly believe that placing this set of requirements in will slow peoples anticipation of reaching the rank as soon as they can. It's a lot to do in 11 days. If leaders do view these as an instant way to promoting someone then so be it. But I highly doubt anyone would as it would just show a complete lack of originality. Not something a leader to be viewed as surely?

But I respect your views and thank you for contributing on an important issue.

Smiling he shakes Huberts hand in an obvious show of respect for him offering his opinion. Good to meet a man who knows his mind at that age..

Report Post Tip

Zeph had wandered the streets since she heard this speech. Her mind was constantly running and she figured she should speak up.

As much as I like majority of what you have set forth sir I am slightly curious on a few things. What if someone is against killing? What if they had set out purposely to be a pro wacker, do they then get exempt from number four? Or would it be forced that they should kill someone even if that is not the route they wish to go?

Secondly, I think the money amount should be higher. Perhaps two million especially if this is to show that you are not selfish.

Lastly, I am strongly against being forced into the streets. I believe that just brings about a lot of headache. The Streets are not for everyone. As much as I can appreciate the thought that they should be seen and be able to give their opinions in an appropriate manner I just feel there may be other ways that this can be done without it being public. Such as a conversation between the Crewleader and that particular person? Anyways given that so many leaders are mostly silent this seems strange to bring up. Maybe if the leaders themselves would show more interest in discussions (I notice the ones that do and this is not aimed at them) then their members may as well. Lead by example?

These were just a few thoughts I had while listening to your speech. Thank you for bringing it up Sir.

Zeph steps back a little to make room for others that may have been listening before their next drug deal.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Proposition
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL