Get Timers Now!
X

May 04 - 10:35:49
Page:  1 
(Still) Fear of the Unknown Started by: Satanta on Nov 28, '14 18:47

Dusting off the dried tea leaves from his shoulder, Satanta muttered under his breath about Tetley doing his own heavy lifting from now on and how many tea leaves a person could possibly need. After adjusting his crotch, removing more tea leaves, he slowly raised his eyes falling into a deep stare with yours. 

You could see the gears slowly going to work in his head. It was like watching a machine that hadn't been used in some time, fighting against the rust and trying to force itself free of its static existence. You could almost hear it. A brain slowly trying, but struggling, to form a single thought into something rational. The screeching was on the verge of audible as you watched the strain on his face. You could almost read his thoughts, well the single thought, on his face. Why is this person staring at me? Seriously, they've been looking for ages now. I wonder if I forgot to put pants on? No, pants are there, shame they're still full of those stupid tea leaves though. Really though, they're still looking... maybe I should wink at them? 

At this stage, it was obvious the man was getting tired. He had overexerted a muscle that hadn't been used in quite some time. Like watching a young bird attempting its first flight on the edge of a volcano, you could tell this would end in a painful explosion of molten magma. Then, inspiration hit. He knew how to fix it. He'd talk. Talking had always encouraged people to avoid him and walk away, that's exactly what the situation called for.

Fine people of our wonderful nation, and Kuku- as well. 

I wish to discuss something with you, something very close to my heart. *Adjusting the tea leaves in his pants once again, he realises this might have been unfortunate timing and tries to subtly move along*

There's a fear that permeates through our society, rotting at the very core of this thing of ours. In a world where our reputations are paramount to us and we take every step imaginable to appear brave and fearless, we let this fear linger throughout the generations and bloodlines that wander our streets daily. 

What is this fear I hear you cry. Is it spiders? Is it penguins? Is it unwanted advances from DeadlySin on one of his cross dressing Tuesdays? No. It's far more terrifying than all of those things. Well, maybe not the DeadlySin one, but it's a close second at least. It's speaking in public.

Time and time again this has been a topic for conversation. It raised its head in the coffee shops last night, along with what powder Achilles should use for his latest itch and which brand of edible underwear Kelly_Kapowski should invest in. However, getting back to the point.... New arrivals to our shores, those fresh off the boats, are far too intimidated and scared to pick up a soapbox and express their thoughts. They're worried that what they say might be construed in a bad way or that they might make themselves or their family look Clause-like or unintelligent. This is always a worry and something we must seek to dispel. New arrivals should be encouraged to find their feet, express their thoughts and frequently take to the streets proclaiming how great Satanta really is. The last one might not be so likely, but I live in hope. 

Even more worrying was the fact that many experienced bloodlines felt in a similar vein. They were terrified of the risks associated with taking to the streets, of which there are many, and avoided engaging in verbal sparing as a risk avoidance measure to ensure longevity to their lives.

This I find worrying. Is this the type of world we want to live in? Are we happy to be people afraid to do something so essential to our lives? Are we happy to just sit back and let the world pass us by? 

Top tip here... I really hope the answers there were 'No'.

So, what are we going to do about it?

No, seriously. I'm asking you. I haven't got a breeze. I used up all of my mental capacity thinking when you started staring at me. Really, that freaked me out. I could feel you undressing me, and some mild skull buggery, with your eyes. Given that I'm not even wearing any underwear, that kind of freaked me out. So how do we overcome this fear? I'd imagine we could just slap them 'round the back of the head, tell them to grow a pair, and not be such a whiny little baby... but seeing as that's my idea I have to imagine others might have better ideas? That tends to be how things normally go.

Now, give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.... I'll throw them all away and then we can concentrate on the real problem here. How do we get people to man the fuck up and grow a pair?

Wandering off to check if this really is tea leaves in his pants or if he might have actually contracted something serious, Satanta began to ponder. Why would people be afraid of the streets? What was there to fear? Didn't people know that all you really needed was an endless stream of inner monologue, peppered with a few classless jokes every now and then about boobs or penises, and you were safe to say and think almost anything? Then he started to wonder if someone might have been eavesdropping on his current inner monologue. Worried, he began thinking about the current economic situation and potential cures for world hunger, just to impress the shit out of the eavesdroppers.

Report Post Tip

Domini watches Satanta for a while as he speaks and then nods as he is correct. She too had noticed many have lost their "pair". She too was one of these individuals that did not look to every really go to the streets, but this speech she heard had captivated her.

Thinking to herself, she honestly couldn't come up with a reason as to why she hadn't spoken out about a few things. She did however know there were somethings that were better left to those of more power to speak out about then herself.

Satanta. I can't give you a reason as to why some do not come out here more or at all. Hell this is the first time I have spoken out here. Maybe being fresh off the boat and still finding my footing has made me that way, but even my ancestors in recent years have for the most grown much quieter then they use to be.

I would like to be able to say why but there's not a true reason for it. I suppose as a whole I prefer now to just simply watch and see what people around me are saying.

She gives the man a slight shrug as she wished that she could offer him more. There were many things that she would address in the right time, but she felt that the times of change that she has heard of made it better to sit back shut up and watch.

Report Post Tip
I suspect fear of public speaking isn't the biggest issue here. I'm thinking there is a lot of indifference with the people in our world to begin with. If they actually think or worry about stuff it's usually on such a personal level that it's not relevant or wise to step up on a soapbox and start shouting about it.

When it involves people with ideas or a vision that affects our whole civilization there's multiple scenario's possible in regards to your question why people speak so little.

First, they work in silence (or within a family) to achieve what they want, instead of making a stand which generates nods, critiques, but usually no action.

Second, they don't feel to add to a set of similar topics being debated, with again the same effects like nodding or applauding by the bystanders, but lack of change in the community. Of course there are people who rightfully take the soapbox, but personally I don't care for more debates about degeneration of certain values. Are you being disrespected in a bar downtown? Shoot 'em in the face instead of contributing an article about it to the daily gazette. There's no one who likes disrespect, so why scream for public support if no action is necessary.

In my opinion a fresh change would be too see more initiatives like W.H.O.R.E. and the accompanying publications done by Don Achilles. Suddenly a well debated topic got fresh with names for all to recognize and the discussion suddenly moved to actually affect people and motivated the GF council to put rules regarding this topic in place. Shock creates awareness, possibly reaction and hopefully change as it did in this case. Shock doesn't need to be a public debate, but could be a different action too.

Coming to the point, I suspect more fear of change then public speaking.
Applauding to you bringing up this point, would give one second thoughts about their own presence in public.
Nodding in agreement about the devaluation of family ranks, might make one worry about the easy path they took or expect to take in their career.
Stating in a bar that you're sick of public disrespect should push you towards action.
Shoot that dis-respecter in the face if you value it so much and be the change you want to see in the world.
Report Post Tip

Curtis smiled listening to Satanta's speech. He walked over to help shake the rest of the tea leaves from the young mobster's suit when he heard Domini speaking and decided to chime in. He looked down to straighten his tie, it was already straight. In fact his entire ensemble was immaculate. Not spending all day shifting crates of tea and other dirty work was a perk of rank. He smiled at Domini.

"I think this is a very valid discussion. As you say Satanta, it has been discussed many a time but it will always be relevant. Just as Domini has proved with her comment, it remains as necessary now as it has through every generation. People are apprehensive about coming out here and speaking. And through the ages there has been good reason for that. There have been innumerable lives lost from ill chosen words given to the wrong people in public. Disrespect, loss of face and all manner of things can cause a person to catch a bullet. But avoiding one is far easier. There are a couple of very simple things to keep in mind and you will rarely go wrong.

Be respectful. Almost any topic of conversation can be discussed in public with anyone of any rank, provided it is done with respect. Use the correct tone and a lowly Gangster can question a mighty Godfather's reasons for doing something without fear. They might not get the answer they wanted but it shouldn't cost them their lives. 

Think before you speak. If you are at all hesitant about what you would like to say, say it to yourself first and see how it sounds (OOC: use back alley threads to practice posts or just send yourself a mail and read it back. See if what you have written sound fair and respectful). Once you've read your words or listened to your point and feel comfortable with it, go into the street discussion and make yourself heard. "

Taking a sneaky nip of the absinthe that was starting to stain his silver flask green, he winced, smirked, coughed and carried on.

"Honestly, just employ those two simple principals and you'll never go far wrong. And for heaven's sake don't think your voice won't be welcome. It will! Different voices is the one thing these streets can never get enough of! Never worry about being put down or abused. If you have followed the two simple points I just mentioned, the only people you will find being unkind toward you will be desperately insecure people who aren't confident themselves. The rest of us will welcome the new voice with open arms. So please, never be shy, come out and speak!"

Stepping over to Domini, Curtis shakes her hand and thanks her for coming forward before going back over to Satanta and offering him a swig of the green evil that had become his principal vice.

Report Post Tip

Fascinating to hear your thoughts Domini. I get the sense that being conscious of your positioning within your family and the community pecking order is a major reason for holding your tongue at times. If I've misinterpreted your meaning, please do correct me.

This is a perfectly understandable and justifiable view and in keeping with the fundamental tenants of this thing of ours. Having said that, if a conversation is framed in the right way and with due respect to the subject matter it discusses it's quite possible to discuss even the most sensitive of topics in a manner and execution to ensure nobody could take exception to the discussion. Dear ol' Curtis has already given some great insights on how to go about this type of endeavour, and although it's hard to produce general rules that cover ever nuance that can occur his tips would get anyone 99% of the way there.

Some very different points raised by good Don Barrett there. Many I agree with completely, while others I'd disagree with on a fundamental level. 

As for fear being the most important factor? You're completely right, it's not. It's not even close to being the biggest reason. However, I did choose to focus on it as it's the reason we have the most chance of addressing and changing in a short time. People being lazy? They'll always be lazy. People being incapable of stringing two words together? We can't cure dumb. People who wish to live in the shadows with no interest in gaining the god like adoration of a street Adonis? That's their choice. I'm all for free will. The ones that want to do it, would like to do it but are too intimidated or afraid to do it? Those are the ones we can help. In time maybe we could start to address some of the other factors too, but we'll attempt to walk here before we seek to sprint. 

You strongly seem to suggest that street speaking is often ignored in favour of more hands on methods as it is a fruitless endeavour which leads to no end result. Did I pick that up correctly? Is that your view or one that you believe others hold? 

Whatever the case, this belief if it is held or shared would concern me greatly. We've all heard the saying the pen is mightier than the sword, but today in this thing of ours and these streets of ours where we walk upon the blood of all those that have come before us... the word is most certainly more powerful than the gun. We our surrounded by bloodlines that have changed the face of our world, overthrown empires, completely tore down the walls of city hall, rocked the very pillars of Mount Olympus and attacked the gods with nothing more than some words spoken on the streets. I'm trying to think of a single war down through the generations and generations that didn't have at least come spark that came from these streets. I'm trying to think of a single empire that didn't have some rule of their regime influenced or adapted due to simple words from these streets. I'm not suggesting that a lowly thug can walk here, make demands and expect to have change enacted because they used a few verbose sentences. However, if a valid argument is put forward based on sound fact and in an intelligent and well reasoned way, it can and often does have very direct impacts on the world around us. Having watched bloodlines like TesleR, TeQ, Grin, FlyingPig, BillyBathTub, and far too many others to mention bring about dramatic change from these streets, while being very much on the outside of whatever group or clique were in charge at the time, or just as relevantly many of those same fold make changes due to the streets when their bloodlines were the ones at the top... nowhere can you enact more change on this world than on the streets.

<font color="rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)">I'd greatly like to thank you for the suggestions given though, of which I do strongly agree. Giving people accessible means of entry to join in the fun is a fantastic first step. Both in terms of giving them a platform from which to launch and giving an example of how it can or even should be done. Directly showing the impacts that can be achieved in a tangible and meaningful way is also great, though far less achievable as most changes happen over time and with a slow forming of </font>consensus<font color="rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)"> and pressure rather than as a result of a single direct act.</font>

<font color="rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)">I'm struggling to add anything in reply to you Curtis, old friend. I concur with it all. The only thing that I would add is that although lives can be lost due to a comment passed in the streets, there are few things other than my family I'd ever be willing to give my life for... but saying something I strongly believed in is one. So if my words ever did lead to my death, which is something that I don't believe ever has happened to my incredibly verbose, opinionated and over active bloodline, I'd at least go to my grave for a cause that I held close to my heart. </font>         

Report Post Tip

You strongly seem to suggest that street speaking is often ignored in favour of more hands on methods as it is a fruitless endeavour which leads to no end result. Did I pick that up correctly? Is that your view or one that you believe others hold?

In response to this I would like to state I do believe in the power of the spoken word, but as a means to pursue goals and activate people into achieving them.  What I see, which is not all there is, is that a lot of speeches seem fruitless, because they focus on opinion and those debates rarely push towards action on the matters. Discussed issues as memberwhoring, public disrespect or the value of one becoming a Made Man for a family have clear opinions, carried by majority of our community. There's no need to work towards consensus, it's already here and thus action would be appropriate. That is probably going to hurt a few people, perhaps even me, but the point suddenly comes across and society is shaped according to what people want. 

I would encourage more public speaking if it's new or contributes to shaping tomorrow. I'm not looking for yesterdays opinion, nor for a new daring voice without argumentation and inspiration to carry the message.

Report Post Tip

He hobbled through the crowd and may his way to the soapbox. He sized it up and realising the limitations of his old knees he motioned for his bodyguards who lifted him onto the box.

Satanta everyone you speak I find myself hooked with what you say. Your topic is a valid one and one I think about often. I use to think there was a fear element in people coming onto the streets I think there are still some that do fear it. The fear of being ridiculed because of a speech impediment or the inability to form perfect sentences. From what I have seen as of late there are less people piping up and mocking which is a positive step.

I have looked through my journals and a lot of my bloodline were mutes. I can't pinpoint exactly why but from what I can see maybe they were worried about how they would come across and represent their family. The fear of their words being twisted to mean something completely different to what they implied and trying to defend themselves.

Now me I was vocal when I found this life, way before I got a bold suit or become Godfather. I have been less so recently but that is down to making the time to speak on a subject like this one and being able to really sit down and think about it. My problem in terms of speaking is I have never been creative enough to come up with my own subject but I am always willing to comment on any subject.

I think Curtis makes valid points in terms of you can debate any subject and disagree with people aslomg as you remain respectful. As of late the majority of what I have heard has been just that.

This has certainly got me thinking and as soon as I awaken from my slumber tomorrow I will be trying to find out why people in my district don't frequent the streets. Maybe it is just a generation thing maybe they are more concerned with forging personal relationships rather than expressing themselves here. Satanta thank you for bringing this subject up once more.

Report Post Tip

After overhearing a little of the discussion at hand Matches quickly ducked into the nearest lane way. He stretched out the front of his pants and peered into his underwear where he discovered his anatomy resembled that of an action figure. He reached into his back pocket and pulled out his notepad, after quickly jotting down the 1st point of a "to-do list", he rushed back into the streets to join the conversation. 

I myself am only a 2nd generation mobster. In the case of my father, it was certainly fear that kept him from these streets. Like my father i was attracted to this life of crime at an early age and instead of going to school and learning to be articulate, i chose to spend my time learning the craft and working the stills for the Busthead Blockers. Some of the speakers out here on these streets speak with great power and mastery of language and for me it's very intimidating to try to come and speak amongst men and women with far more skill and experience.

Matches raises his notepad and scribbles down a new item on his to-do list. "2. Buy measuring tape." before continuing..

As has already been mentioned there are surely a number of causes to this problem, whilst i am still new to this way of life i would like to throw a suggestion or two out there on how to tackle this problem.

Matches pauses briefly

Perhaps someone more versed in the ways of this life and these streets could do a rundown of the bigger discussion every so often. Explain what was being discussed or if applicable the history behind it, in a way that someone fresh of the boat could understand. It's hard to expect someone new to this life to come out and speak, if they don't even know what it is people are discussing. That understanding could give them the confidence needed to come out here and speak for the 1st time and potentially even bring something refreshing to the table. I know some might argue that it's a young gangsters own responsibility to seek out this knowledge from their crew leaders,hands or sponsors. But as someone who is wearing those shoes its hard to even know what to ask. It also seems to me that this problem plagues the minds of people from all cities across the nation, it would only take one to stand up and do this. It might even turn out to be a good PR move.

Also, i know i'm lucky enough to have leaders and fellow crew members around Queens that have taken the time to encourage me and give me enough advice that i'm able to come out here today. But I'd be curious as to how many of the people that have discussed this matter in the past, later went out amongst their cities and districts and tried to encourage those that hadn't been out here to do so. I know leaders are busy and this might take a bit of effort, but change always does.

It would be my humble suggestion that those who are more experienced at speaking and do want to see more speakers out here, take the time to encourage a few more people on a one on one basis. Find that old made man or even Don, who's yet to come out here to speak and talk to them. It wouldn't have to be much, just a simple "Hey, did you hear so and so's speech in the streets? What did you think of it? Oh, that's an intresting opinion, why don't you go out and share it? I'd be happy to give you a hand preparing if you'd like." Actually find an individual, and put in some time too getting them out here. If it's a problem that you feel effects everyone and this way of life as a whole, it shouldn't matter who that person is, their rank,or what city and crew they're from.

Matches pauses again

My final humble suggestion would be for one of the more cunning word smiths to design and hand out a pamphlet, or even make a speech explaining the customs and "unwritten rules" of these streets. I know one of the big reasons for my father and myself not being out here before is a lack of understanding of how these streets "worked". I've heard discussion where men and women have been chastised for being carriers of the "oocitis" STD, yet people who have displayed similar symptoms during other conversations have been given a pass. It appears to be the same case with witty one liners. This caused me to be confused and added to the scariness of the big bad streets. I'm sure there are others out there like me that could benefit from something like this. It may help to put some of their qualms at ease and give them the confidence to come out here and participate.

That is all.

Matches then subtly reaches down and gives his crotch a feel, before drawing a line across his notepad "1.Grow a pair".

Report Post Tip

I agree, a lot of people seem a little worried when it comes to venturing out here and part of me isn't surprised.

On the one hand we have the tards who struggle to put their words together and fear that they will sound as dumb as they look as soon as they open their mouths and on the other hand we have those who just don't want to risk their lives by potentially saying something that could get them in trouble.

The streets can be ruthless and for those who struggle with the English language they will usually find themselves a target for those cunning linguists around here. Still, there's no excuse not to be able to put thought and effort into a response before speaking out loud. Words are an important factor within this thing of ours, so you should think about how they might reflect on you if you can just about manage to put a sentence together. I know previously there were talks of public speakers helping out those who struggle to articulate themselves well, maybe this is something we should push more?

For those who fear public speech due to potential repercussions, again maybe they need to run their speeches by someone. As long as it can be kept respectful there is no reason why someone should die for their words. It's impossible for everyone to have the same opinion on different topics and so it's understandable that on occasion people are going to come out here and butt heads, that's just the nature of this thing of ours. In the past we were so passionate about our views that we stood by them out here in the street, we were more than ready to exchange in a bit of verbal sparing (respectfully) with Godfathers or Crew leaders or anyone really. Now, people seem way too scared to voice their opinions and concerns and maybe this is due to the fact that people are investing a lot more into their lives as a mobster these days. The amount of time and particularly money I see people putting into their lives here is crazy and it's a shame that people are living in such fear that they become withdrawn from the streets. Again maybe this is where we can try and encourage and support these types of people to come forward, with the help of the more experienced street speakers, they can support the fearful in how they want to approach a topic and how to keep it respectful and on point.

Ideally I'd love to see each district have a couple of go to guys where people could approach them with ideas for speeches, they could then help them out with whatever it is they wanted to come out here and say. Maybe this could be a topic set for the next GF council? I doubt it will be high in the list of priorities but if I buy Kyubey enough Butties from Uncle Barry's Butty Bar (Best Butties in the business by the way) over in the Bronx Business District, he might be swayed to stick it on the agenda. I could be reaching a little too far though but I'd love to hear what some of you who have spoke on this topic think, such as SydBarrett, MatchesMalone, Curtis and that Spunky chap.

Report Post Tip
If people can be found who are motivated to act in such a role, it would be harmless to put the idea in place, Achilles. If properly positioned and communicated through the families, over time we could learn whether the need for such help exists or not. 

It would be important though that such persons only help on a communicative level and that the original idea is not subtly altered by the ghost-writer to fit his or her ideas on the matter.
Report Post Tip

Don Achilles, i know i for one have benefited greatly from having someone who was kind enough to put themselves in a position for me that is much like the one you are suggesting.

On my first venture out into these streets, i only had a brief passing comment to make. Even as short and insignificant as it was, had it not been for them offering to take the time to do a 'dry run' with me, i'm certain i wouldn't have just walked on by without even being able to give something as little as thanks or congratulations. Let alone take part in this or any future discussions. 

I think if there were some experienced speakers willing to volunteer their time and advice, it would be great to have their contact details pinned up somewhere in the family HQ or even a placed in a directory in the center of a cities business district. Knowing that there is someone well versed prepared to support them and not belittle them over little mistakes, might just make the difference between a new face coming out here and sharing their opinion or delivering a thought provoking speech, or just remaining silent. If the goal is to get more young mobsters out here speaking and also delivering something of substance, i think having a list of 'mentors' for people to contact that they know are going to help give them a strong foundation would certainly help.

Also thanks to Don SydBarret, I can see how it would beneficial for each district to have their own go-to guys and gals. I'm but a humble wise guy and perhaps i was a little naive, but my first thought was that anyone who would volounter for such a position would be someone who was primarily motivated by increasing the amount of voices present on these streets. However i do now understand that there could be those with nefarious intentions or hidden agendas. But within districts, i would like to believe anyone who would be prepared to take up such a position would do so because they truly wished to see their fellow district members find their voice and in-turn, help these streets to thrive.

Report Post Tip

Some fantastic ideas and proposals there, astounding stuff. Fantastic to see one of the ideas pitched by MatchesMalone being the catalyst for Curtis to throw some of the work carried out by his forefathers to the public too. I have no doubts that it will provide one means of helping to overcome this problem, should some take the effort to take it onboard.

I do love the idea of each family, district or city providing some experienced heads for younger members to bounce things off too. This has something that happened a lot in the past, I'm sure is happening in at least a few families at the present and one I can't see any reason for not happening in every family. We have more than enough vocal members spread around the cities to achieve it, so simply a matter of a few bodies being willing to put in the effort.

Having said that, I'm not sure if it's something that needs to be dictated by the illustrious Godfather Council so much as decided upon by the individual leaders. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Council highlight the step, show that there is a strong will for an increase in the quality and quantity of voices on our streets and actively encourage many steps in this regard, I'm just also aware that sometimes having something as a requirement rather than a choice can have a negative effect. I've walked the streets many times when an arbritary number of speeches were a requirement for both being made into a family and also for donning a bold suit. Rather than having a positive impact on the activity of our streets, it was often to the detriment of our streets. Yes, the quantity of activity might raise a little, but the quality of that content was normally of such a low standard that it was a negative sum move. I do trust if the council do act in this regard they will take potential implications such as this into account though, so no harm throwing the idea towards them and letting them decide if it's something deserving of their attention or not. If things which should be in the hands of the leaders to control are slipping through the cracks then I'm sure the Godfather Council would be more than happy to step in and shape things up.  

The suggestion of people pushing personal or vested interests is certainly an interesting one. It's also very possible that it is something that would be taken advantage of. Again, this is one of the reasons that keeping mentoring and supporting positions within the walls of a family building can be a great idea. I am the type that would happily offer this type of service to anyone, regardless of their family bonds, but I also could end up shaping and transforming a discussion to suit my own needs without even knowing I'm doing it. That's not such a big problem if my goals of serving my family and my city are the same as the person I'm helping, but it could be a big deal if we serve different families. 

It's probably also worth mentioning that the use of a proof reader for an important speech or bouncing ideas off a select fee before distribution to the masses isn't just something done by new bloodlines or those lacking in confidence. I would often approach competent speakers like Whatsername, Curtis or Achilles in exactly the same manner before approaching the streets in order to get their feedback. Worth pointing this out so it doesn't appear to be a case of "You're not as good as the other person, you need their help", it's simply a case of running it past them quickly to see if they spot an area or two worthy of some further attention. 

Report Post Tip

This subject had me thinking for a good while after I commented originally, I brushed on it earlier and since Achilles has mentioned the very thing I was thinking of.

The streets can be ruthless and for those who struggle with the English language they will usually find themselves a target for those cunning linguists around here.

The streets can be ruthless in this way and I have no idea why, I can understand in the sense of someone coming to the streets with a completely backwards idea but not when it is someone coming to the streets with a very valid point but may not have the English skills of others, coupled with Curtis idea over on another street corner my mind went into overdrive.

I believe people lack the confidence because they are afraid that their standard of English is not as good as others, so their fear is being mocked by this.

That is a fair reason to fear something I think, I mean nobody wants to be embarrassed in front of everyone do they? So it got me thinking we are mobsters, we are organised better than some political groups but it doesn't mean we have to have the speaking skills and the grammar of a high school English teacher? I will be the first to admit that my English isn't great and I would say because of  my position people are less likely to comment on a missed word or mispronunciation. If I was under Made people would be more inclined to make that comment. If I was lower than made and decided to comment here for the first time and someone belittled me in public would I come back out here to speak? No the embarrassment would be complete and I would be wary of being embarrassed again.

Those that belittle and mock not every mobster was born into English as their first language surely we should embrace everyone that comes to the street to try and start or join in a debate rather than scare them down because they didn't stay in school and ace their English exams.

Report Post Tip

You raise an excellent point Godfather Spunky.

It's one that has sadly raised its ugly head a number of times in the last few days. Seeing people in coffee shops deriding the work of someone making a speech to the best of their ability, when they themselves haven't come close to putting a fraction as much effort into anything in a long time, is incredibly irritating. Thankfully, in the few cases I witnessed it was always challenged and the hypocrisy of it identified. I'll commend Achilles, Kelly_Kapowski and Kyubey for their actions there, along with a few others who I can't remember off the top of my head. 

The bad thing is it's a difficult thing to tackle. These type of snide remarks should never be acceptable, yet even among our fine community of upstanding and respectable business people *chuckles a little to himself* these acts can and do go unchecked at times. When an infraction goes unchecked, it simply enforces the chances of it occurring again. The much repeated and often debated or paraphrased quote from Edmund Burke "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" sums it up far better than I ever could.

Leaders taking a hard stance and letting those below them know that actions of these nature will not be tolerated, that it's bad for business, would have a major impact. However, would our leaders be willing to punish a family for insulting a non member? Would a family leader punish a sworn member of their family over an insult to an associate or even a civilian? 

Some would argue such an act goes against the very tenants of this thing of ours, but that seems to ignore that the punishment isn't for what they've done to the random person... it's for having broken the family rules. That is something that anyone sworn into any family in this thing of ours should never be willing to do.

Report Post Tip

After a rough week with loads of late nights bobbi finally sees the time to relax. She's on her way home to the comforts and safety of the Headquarters when she stumbles upon a discussion in the streets. The topic has been discussed a fair few times but she has always found herself drawn to say something about it. Something in the back of her mind always tells her not too though. As she's standing there listening to Godfathers, crewmates discussing she assembles som courage and jumps in.

"I really think you're onto something here Spunky and Satanta. Me and me bloodline has never been known as one to often come out here in the streets discussing various topics. In fact I tend to get others to express my opinions or just stay quiet. Hoping someone else to raise the points I want to make."

bobbi feels the rush of speaking and gets a bit more comfortable with the situation. She feels proud for being ballsy enough to talk amongst such great people. But yet again anxious to get a snidely reply. But all that doesn't matter right now as she continues,

"I remember when I was new in this world of ours. The last thing my mother told me was to be careful around the street. She showed me an example from the diary of the first from our bloodlines. The diary showed an unexperienced young lady trying to make a name for herself. She had gone to the streets telling her story and the replies she got was horrific. In line with "Who the fuck are you?", "retard" and "shut up if you can't speak properly...". This was way back though when the streets were more strict and harsh, but it still put a scare in the way we thought about public appearance and the streets. Even though times are better and the streets are more acceptable our bloodline always thinks twice before coming out here. I'm not sure why as I know I have good friends who would back me up if needed. But still it's there nagging in my thoughts. That is also why I think Curtis' suggestion about heping out unexperienced ones would be of great help to many. That along with that people actually have this in mind when discussion things would make it easier for a lot of people. I don't know."

bobbi fets the feeling she has made her point and speaking further from this point would only counts as ramblings. So she decides to shut up and continue her way back to the Headquarters for a nice sjower and nap. This had been a great day and she felt a bit more proud for stepping up and taking tone. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $25,000 Tip

I'm one of those people who will likely make fun of someone else when they say something ridiculous (I have something of this nature in my quote at the moment, but I'm sure you've all seen me being hilarious elsewhere too (don't lie)) and I would label my antics somewhere between "juvenile mockery" and "harmless ribbing". 

I don't genuinely intend to offend anyone by labeling something they have said as stupid; indeed most of the people on my list have mailed me privately in good humour about their faux pas and we've ended up having merriment as a result. It is intended to give people something amusing to read, as many of these things, devoid of context, are amusing. 

However, should we start "taking a hard stance" against this sort of behaviour, where is the line to be drawn? I think it is easy for people to get carried away when we consider the, for want of a better term, "criticism spectrum" and it varies from person to person, city to city, country to country making a framework incredible difficult to employ. 

I think we would be best served treating individual actions upon their own merits. If someone is purposefully deriding the efforts of someone else and their comments are unlikely to acheive anything other than the original speaker retreating from the streets, then I'm all for chopping those guys to pieces. However, lets not get too carried away with this and impose something we do not really need just for the sake of it. 

Report Post Tip

Some people just don't understand the true loving nature behind Barry, especially newer people, but it isn't their fault! 

When really considering the topic of criticizing speeches and posts, the sad truth is: People need to stop being pussies. Now I say that with a grin on my face... This is a harsh world. We choose to be here. I think that exposure to the harshness of the streets is important, but I don't think people should be fearful of failure or rejection. It is through practice and criticism that we all grew in some way here. If you weren't criticized or yelled at, your training is incomplete. With time, practice of thy tongue, and a little whipping, others will change their tune and eventually start lapping up whatever you have to give. 

We should be nice to people though. It is hard to tell if someone knows that we really "mean" they're a douchebag or idiot. Intention is funny... But anyway I hope that new people can find a way to be bold and come out into the streets. Fairing the potential storm is healthy, and if you want to play in a pool rather than the sea, that's just plain sad. We are adults. But leadership should help at least forewarn the new players of the potential scary things out there; they should also tell them, that most of the people saying cruel things are just all bark and no bite. Such is their fun in this world, and it is a crucial part of how our atmosphere is formed. It's a cruel world, but it's all a joke in the end. 

Report Post Tip

Perhaps I'm an optimist, or perhaps I've just been lucky with those I've associated with during my times on these shores, but I'd like to think that the majority of people in a position of leadership could easily tell the difference between playful banter and cynical bullying. As you pointed out yourself Barry, you actively engage and encourage one of these activities while you find the other as distasteful and unpleasant as good Godfather Spunky and I.

Anything that someone wishes to pass off as a joke should be delivered as such. I'm not sure I've ever seen a genuine case where it wasn't one hundred percent clear that the comment was intended as malicious rather than as a friendly joke. The type of activity carried on by your good self, your close friend Achilles and the dozens of excellent speakers who entertain our streets is not in question. It's the crude, cynical, hurtful attacks that have no base in humour and not a hint of constructive aim about them. 

I'm all for drawing lines in the sand, I'm all for laying out punishments when lines are crossed... though possibly not as much as SpikeS and his fondness for whips... but I do believe that those lines should be clearly indicated in no uncertain terms. If people believe the punishments can and should be handed out without drawing a line like this in the sand, fair enough. I think it's failing. I've witnessed it first hand, Godfather Spunky has outlined it as a problem and I've even seen members of City Hall have to approach individuals in our community and address them on unsavoury conduct. 

This isn't a case of we need to stop anything that isn't considered politically correct. Far from it, it's hoped to increase the amount of jokes and fun in our streets by encouraging others to join in. It's about the handful of genuinely spiteful individuals that take a perverse pleasure in the pain of others and do turn the potential next "Barry" from ever fulfilling their foreheads desires.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: (Still) Fear of the Unknown
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL