Get Timers Now!
X

May 04 - 08:57:30
Page:  1 
Street Speech Workshop Started by: Curtis on Dec 01, '14 23:05

Curtis had been listening to a discussion Satanta had started in the streets. During the conversation a WiseGuy called MatchesMalone raised the subject of a safe place where those less certain about their public voice, could go and try out discussions without fear of ridicule. Somewhere they could get constructive advice and guidance on developing their abilities so as to step out into the streets with more confidence. It was a fine thought and reminded Curtis of something one of his ancestors did in his family HQ.

Deciding this might be a helpful thing to put forward, he went back to his office, sat down and set about drafting up the format from old journals. When he was done he returned to the streets and took his place, looking dynamic and feeling the refreshing breeze on his unsettlingly sober face, he spoke up.

"A long time ago, one of my ancestors wanted to encourage the members of his family to speak more in the streets. He knew not everyone found this easy and a lot shied away from it for fear of making mistakes or saying the wrong thing. Having spoken to many of these people in private he knew them to be perfectly articulate and capable communicators, he just needed a way to make them see it. So, he developed an in-house school of sorts. Something any family could do within the privacy of its own HQ. He found that surrounded by accepting family and being supported and encouraged by those closest, made the perfect testing ground for mobsters to develop their voices. A place to build confidence to go into the streets and speak with justified self assurance.

I will present it here as a basic format and if anyone wants to take it back to their HQs and try it out, great. I know it helped a lot of people when it was originally used."

Curtis unrolls a large sheet of information and pins it to the wall behind him. He then sets a large stack of sheets with the format on them down in a pile beside him. 

~

Street Speech Workshop

~

• Each week an established member of the family will draft up a topic for discussion.

• After the topic has been approved by the family upper structure, it will be posted in the HQ forum.

• Members of the crew will then be encouraged to comment and contribute to the discussion thread as they would any street thread.

• If they wish, they will be given advice and pointers on their input to the discussion, in a helpful and supportive manner by more experienced street speakers within the family.

• All family members of all levels of speaking experience will participate in the discussion as they would any street discussion.

• When the topic has run its course it will be removed from the HQ forum.

• Another member of the family will be chosen to draft up another discussion and the cycle will begin again.

~

There should be a healthy rotation of speakers from the family leading the various discussions. As people's skills develop, emerging students should be encouraged to lead a discussion of their own. Discussions should be monitored by the family upper structure to help cultivate a supportive and constructive atmosphere. As newer speakers develop their skill, the leadership should see when the time is right and encourage them to move into the streets and get involved. When they do the other family members should also go into the street and lend support.

~

Looking up he once again addressed the gathered. 

"As you can see the format and cycle is pretty simple. The main aspects reply on the leadership helping to pick people to start new discussions and decide when each topic has run its course, then starting the cycle again. Encouraging people to participate and ask for help and then helping those that ask for it. Its a simple exercise that can be very helpful for those that need it. I hope it can be of some help to some of you."

Taking a step down, he decides he's been sober far too long and takes some generous gulps of his flask to help fix the problem. 

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $220,000 Tip

Absolutely fantastic work there Curtis. Really love this idea.

Allowing people to find their feet and build their confidence speaking within the sandbox of a family building is superb. I'd imagine in very many cases much of the same discussion could then be shared among a wider audience, either on the streets or within the business districts, once a few of the younger members had grown in confidence about their contributions. 

It's also great to see the type of direct results that can happen when someone just mentions an idea. Matches threw up a comment, possibly thinking nobody would listen, and as a direct result you felt compelled to share this excellent proposal with the masses. It's the type of idea that every family should take on board, especially those composed of newer bloodlines to these shores of ours. Kudos good sir, kudos.  

Report Post Tip

DrJjackal  was out taking a walk when he heard a man speaking about a street speech workshop

That is a great idea, developing the next generation in this thing of ours is an important step in not just theirs but all of our futures. Looking back to my ancestors journals, they speak of a time when there were mobsters a plenty making their voices heard in these fine streets of ours. they also speak of others who would often talk about how the streets were barren and almost like a ghost town but never offered any idea's to remedy their grievances. But i applaud you and this idea have a good day 

DrJackal smiles and tips his hat to curtis and lights a cigar and continues his stroll.

Report Post Tip

Camzilla slowly strolls up after reading the paper Curtis held up

This is actually a great idea. Most of my bloodline have always backed away from speaking in the streets, not because they were scared but because of the creativity they lacked in knowing what to say or talk about. I've always wanted to change this from generation to generation but never really put the effort into it. I will definitely suggest this idea to my family and see where it goes from there. If it isn't implemented, I'll make it my goal to be more active here in the streets. 

Report Post Tip

SpikeS strolls into the streets in a jovial fashion, at a party, with a tuxedo and glossy patent leather shoes.

Oh, well, fuck. It would seem that I’m late to a lot of parties, Curtis.

This is definitely a great idea. I know you know my feelings regarding speech as one of the most important virtues a person can have here, for far too many reasons.

This should play out well so long as you get enough participation behind it. I would be glad to offer my help behind this in any way I can.  

I wouldn’t mind playing whipping boy should people’s participation begin to slack.

You know where to reach me.

SpikeS slips off into the sunset. 

Report Post Tip

Curtis, may the Gods see your endeavors met with good fortune. This workshop can only be to the benefit of the masses.  I see other prominent speakers have already offered voice of support to your purpose, further strengthening your resolve;  SpikeS, a man whose works are comparable to that of the storied Barry lineage.  Perhaps even good Barry will lend aid along with Spike as well, honoring the masses with pleasing site of brothers reunited as equals, working towards common purpose.  Blessings to you Curtis.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

He walks over to Curtis and pulls a flask from his pocket

Try this, my supplier says it will pretty much knock you off your feet.

My dear friend Curtis, I think this is a fantastic idea, as mentioned on another street corner the streets can be brutal at times. So this will give people the perfect environment to hone their speaking skills and hopefully get the next generation of mobsters speaking in the streets.

Report Post Tip

SpikeS, I must disagree with you on one thing. It is not one of, it is THE most important feature of any person here. What you say can quite literally mean life or death. I have been around this thing of ours long enough in many other forms to see that first hand. 

Report Post Tip

No, it is the most important thing here. You're meaningless without having a personality, and speaking gives you that personality. A life in silence is not a life lived, so you might as well be dead. 

Report Post Tip

I see your point SpikeS. I will reflect on this

Report Post Tip

The thrill of this world is found through relationships and power. Friendship obviously requires you to be "personable" with others. Speaking in public widens the range of your possible friendships or relationships. Someone who is silent and has no personality is really a poor choice as an enemy.

Finding power requires a win over some other person's personality. Clashing in this world is truly beautiful. For example, killing a silent nobody brings far less pleasure than killing a great orator, or even the vocal behemoth archetype.

Report Post Tip

P.S. I misread you Arthas

Report Post Tip

Curtis thanked evryone for their support and contributions then turned to Spike and Batiatus. 

"SpikeS and Batiatus, the idea was for crews to run within the confines of their HQ. To tutor the less experienced and confident in private so they may make their mistakes and do their learning without the exposure to every eye on the street. As much as I like the idea of experienced speakers running the workshop together for everyone, I feel a publicly open access workshop would amount to the same thing as an open street discussion and not provide the privacy and security that a home HQ can ensure. The participants may well feel just as exposed as they do out here. 

​I do like the idea of experienced and articulate heads such as yourselves and other qualified volunteers, offering some level of mentoring for anyone that wanted it. That would certainly be beneficial."

Report Post Tip

Within the confines of an HQ is fine for practice, but eventually those people will venture out into the world and that's why I think it's a brilliant idea. Sooner than later though. Mentoring/instructing and helping to edit is something that will make more shy people more comfortable, even before it goes into say an HQ.

Report Post Tip

Ajani claps his hands after listening and watching Curtis post his letter on the bulletin board.

"This is a excellent idea Curtis.  Coming out and speaking quality speeches in the streets is something nobody should be afraid of.  There is several bloodlines around that are known for doing very good ones and can guide people to become the same perhaps.  This newer generation of mobsters needs guidance to make use of the streets properly and show it is a important place still.  It's sad when you see some people in the local coffee shops say this life is just about going in the coffee shop around the twentieth minute of every hour to get a free cookie.  If that is what this life means now that is disturbing,  but if people think that; then change it.  Be a advocate for things like this and show the "olden days" are not too far gone.  Nothing ever is,  it's just do you want to work to return something to where it once was? "

Report Post Tip

I am but a lowly Goomba with an intention to make his bones under the guiding hand of my sponsor. I do however have an eye for a deal, the fire to succeed and more importantly the advantage of a mentor.

I whole heartedly agree with many of the comments made and applaud your sharing of such information Curtis. Such openness can only benefit our world and hopefully your proposal will be adopted where it can help to encourage people to bridge the void between thought and the spoken word.

Anything that would inspire, propagate confidence and ultimately allow an individual to communicate openly with our world is to be commended.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Street Speech Workshop
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL