Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 16 - 06:19:07
Page:  1 
The gold of Etukishook Started by: SydBarrett on Dec 15, '14 18:26

It was halfway through december when Syd was sitting in a bar close to Staten Island's main dock. Approaching closing time, most of the customers already left, but Syd rarely leaves before a place is deserted. He is engaged in storytelling with the barman.

“You wouldn't know what I stumbled upon this week. Let's call it a chance on luck, an opportunity. But I can't yet grab it.”

The bartender familiar with the many stories of Syd nods as a signal of listening while continuing cleaning up behind the bar.

“Over a month ago our organisation got word about a scientific expedition to the Northpole. Apparently funding was a bit short and the researchers needed backing. You know how some of us always like adventure and we got some money together, bought our way into the expedition and last week we actually were up there. It was cold as hell, but beautiful in an intimidating way.

I'm no scientist ofcourse, so me and the boys stayed a basecamp. This one night we were having some drinks in an Igloo Bar and making jokes about Santa Clause. After a while I went outside to take a leak behind the Igloo. And here it comes, I found something out there. At first I didn't see it, because the damp of my piss was really dense, but then I saw that under the melted snow lay an old journal.”

The bartender now looked up for the first time and asked “A journal, on the Northpole?”

“I'm telling you, just like that. At first I didn't feel like picking it up, because you know, I just pissed on the thing. But curiosity got the better of me and I picked the journal up and took it with me.”

“What was in it?” The bartender asked.

“I'm not sure. Old stories about some earlier expedition. Look, it's really old so half the pages were rotten and a lot of the writing is unreadable. I found only a few pages that makes some sense. But this is where it get's interesting. It tells a story about gold!”

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

The bartender is getting more and more interested and pours another rum for Syd and asking him to continue.

“Okay, I guess I can tell you, because it doesn't tell where the gold is, but supposedly it should be here in America. Here take a look.”

Syd pulls a thin brown journal out of his coat and lays it flat on the bar. Gently he opens it and goes through a lot of seemingly unreadable pages untill he stops at more clear writing.

Day 39, April 12, 1908

Today was a sad day. We had to kill one of our dogs for food. Because the sled with proviand fell through ice we are rationing what is left. We needed the meat to give us energy and warmth to endure the weather. We didn't talk at all during the meal. Based on measurements, we are on track, but the lack of food might become a big problem. It hasn't stopped snowing for two days already.

Day 40, April 13, 1908

We didn't cover the distance we hoped we would because of the fierce winds and snow today. We need to push harder tomorrow. Ahwelah seems to want to give up, but Etukishook says luck will get back on our side. He knows for sure he says. I pray he is right.

Day 41, April 14, 1908

The storm finally lay down today and Etukishook said his stones of blessing never fail him. I'm not sure what he's talking about, but I want to find out. The inuit men are intriguing me ever more.

Day 42, April 14, 1908

When Ahwelah was trying to catch fish for us I asked Etukishook about his stones. He showed me five bright gold nuggets. His father once found the stones and gave them to him for good luck on our journey. Ahwelah didn't catch any fish, but we don't want to kill another dog for food.

Day 43, April 15, 1908

It started snowing already and navigation becomes harder, although I feel we are getting closer to our goal. Our rations are slim and our body heath is fading. We're sleeping naked, so we can transfer our warmth during the night.

Day 44, April 16, 1908

I'm thinking we made a mistake by going this far. A polar bear attacked us and killed on of the dogs. The inuit men attacked the bear and scared it away, but Etukishook got hurt and loses a lot of blood and he is shivering non-stop. Some of the meat from the dog could be saved for food, although it's not a lot.

Day 45, April 17, 1908

The landscape is treacherous white and gives no marks for orientation. The snow doesn't stop at night and I can't focus on Polaris and the other stars for navigation. Etukishook is badly hurt and Ahwelah says we should return. I don't want to, we are very close, but morale is low because of the lack of food.

Day 46, April 18, 1908

I saw Polaris this morning and we should approach our destination soon. Etukishook is pale and lost too much blood. He needs a real doctor fast and he is slowing us down. Ahwelah thinks he won't make it. I feel troubled in make the right decision.

Day 47, April 19, 1908

Etukishook passed away this morning. Ahwelah performed a ritual and we buried him in the snow, after stripping him of his clothing. We need the extra warmth for the nights are growing ever colder.

Day 48, April 20, 1908

We should be close, but I don't have the energy to concentrate on navigating anymore. Ahwelah says we can't go further and he is right. We might just make it back if we turn around now. I found Etukishook's gold in his pocket. I've decided to take it with me and hide it somewhere for if the Explorer's Club doesn't recognize my achievement of reaching the pole and I lose my credability.

Report Post Tip

The bartender sighs and says “There's one hell of a sad story. Do you know who wrote it?”

“I've read some name of Cook on the bottom of one of the first pages, but I couldn't read any other words. For all I know he just wrote he was looking for a cook for the expedition.” Syd says.

“Cook, you say? Perhaps Frederick Cook. I heard a story about an explorer by that name claiming to have reached the pole, but no one believed him. He got discredited as an explorer and he vanished. No one ever heard of him again.

If you found his journal, this would be very interesting for other scientists.”

“Well, like I said. I'm no scientist and I care more about money and misses then about some words written long ago. The thing is, this Cook guy didn't write where he would take the gold, if there was any gold at all. To me it seems they were losing their mind up there in the cold.”

Syd closed the journal and gave it a slight tap. He stood up, motioned the bartender for another drink before moving towards the bathroom. He suddenly stopped, turned and walked back reaching in his pocket again pulling out a bunch of small worn papers.

“I almost forgot, the next page was sort of readable to, but it crumbled between my fingers and I haven't been able to puzzle it together. Feel free to give it a try, but be sure to let me know if you find anything interesting about the possible location of that treasure.”

Go here to solve the puzzle

Report Post Tip
It seems we have some fanatic treasure hunters on our shores. Just after a short period of time the treasure has been dug up.

Feel encouraged to solve the puzzles and riddles, because the runner ups will also get smaller prizes.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The gold of Etukishook
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL