Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 23 - 09:35:12
Page:  1 
The tortoise or the hare? Started by: MichaelLaMotta on Dec 19, '14 03:13

MichaelLaMotta is still in the streets after the discussion with Kizira on honesty. The previous had given him a few memories of the past regarding cycles and how business was ran back then. He thought he could ask the other older bloodlines on what they preferred as of the late way to do crime.

The marathon or the sprint? What do you prefer?

And what I mean by that is, do you prefer the long length of crime families and certain people? Or do you prefer the fast, quick paced set of things of the past. 

Now I do not have facts or statistics on anything regarding what I'm about to say, but to sum it all up the older way was the first person to the finish line. And when you were at the finish line, you were not there for long. The way to the finish line was always the short quick way. You and a few friends would train for a couple weeks or so and then make a move. A move that may remove the top dogs or a move that may have barely left a dent in an organization. Moves like these were always of the norm back then.

The more modern way of business is now the way of the marathon. Things are much, much slower these days in the aspect of war, and removing those at the top. It may take months compared to weeks in the older days to make a move. And to make a move, you'd need dozens of soldiers to amount to anything worth of the taking. Lately we see certain groups last for several months and even certain individuals last for a year and beyond.

So again, what do you prefer? The marathon or the sprint?

Report Post Tip

Curtis had been interested in MichaelLaMotta's comments in a previous discussion so when the young Gangster began a discussion of his own, he went over and listened.

"This is something that often comes up in conversation. You'll find a group of old half drunk mobsters getting misty eyed about ancestral antics and the good old days. And they are right to, they were fantastic, frantic fun. The constant turmoil and upheaval, leaders and cities being toppled every weekend, it was a most delightful chaos. But that doesn't make it better or worse than now, just different.

It is the nature of any society to evolve. Any system, controlled by organic life, will evolve. Almost in spite of itself. It can not be avoided. Just as Monkeys became men, so our society has evolved from a fast paced reactionary barbarism to the more slow paced and studious strategic process we see today. 

People might make observations about the way things are these days but this state has come about as much by human involvement as the evolution of the laws that govern it. Sure, everyone loves to see someone clubbed on the head in the arena but the days of that being the start and finish of our process are long gone. Over time people and society will always progress and change its definitions of success and falure.

I have had blood take part in many ages. My ancestors loved the old days. Really, really loved them. As generations passed, my line have complained about each evolutionary step toward the new days too. All change has been fought against by me and others, just as any child fights defiantly before finally letting go of a childish trait. But as perception and understanding grow broader with time, so my acceptance of change and understanding of the bigger picture develops."

Sipping his medicinal tonic from the familiar flask, he goes on to his conclusion.

"In my opinion some things were better in the old days, some things are better now. The question I ended up asking myself was, 'can I work and enjoy the way things are?' I ended up having to answer, yes."

Report Post Tip

Michael recognized the man from the other conversation. And just as he did there, he listened to ever word Curtis spoke. He admired all the things he had said in both regards.

Curtis, thank you for speaking your mind on this topic. I understand this topic or ones similar to it may be old and repetitive, but I always enjoy the fresh comments on the matter. 

I understand the need to change, evolve even. The ability to adapt is the new breed of gangster as of late. If you cannot adapt to change, then you won't last in this new age scheme of things. The new way of doing things isn't bad, isn't the wrong way, nor do I dislike it. Others who I have worked with recently could not adapt to the change. They thought the old way was the only way and they thought with their old insight of the time, they were meant to be respected. I saw these old associates of mine get passed over for things. Simple things like positions in the crew. You must be able to over come change, and adapt or you're likely to become an old crusty grumbly bar steward that used to be.

For the record, I loved the old way of doing things. The old way was really the way of the gun almost. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The tortoise or the hare?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL